Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did they say how big the new core sets are gonna be? I wouldn't be surprised if they're smaller than the normal large sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So what midrange decks are open again in standard? I want to make W/B work again or W/B/c

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
As long as Thoper Spy Network is in every core set I'll be a happy person

DangerDongs posted:

So what midrange decks are open again in standard? I want to make W/B work again or W/B/c

TurboFog

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

As long as Thoper Spy Network Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict is are in every core set I'll be a happy person

There, that looks better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looks like another unset.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/25th-anniversary-announcement-day-2017-06-14

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
From the Vault: Transform, or From the Vault: We Need To Reprint Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Somewhere I Guess.

:siren: RETURN TO DOMINARIA CONFIRMED FOR APRIL 2018 LARGE SET :siren:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Minority Deport posted:

From the Vault: Transform, or From the Vault: We Need To Reprint Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Somewhere I Guess.

Urza lands in standard.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I never thought I'd say this but...

That's an announcement I pretty much like. Curious about the new Masters set. And I've got a gut feeling that we're gonna see some great looking lands in Unstable

Joke option: Abolish the reserved list.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So hype for a new Dominaria and Un-set. Curious to see what the 25th anniversary Masters set will be like as well.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Dual deck Merfolk vs Goblins should be uh.... interesting? poo poo they could print basically a budget modern Merfolk deck and a budget modern goblin deck if they wanted to.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Gotta wait months for the stuff I'm really excited for, although I can't wait for Unstable and hope it's actually a fun Un-set to draft this time.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Minority Deport posted:

The set's just called "Dominaria", that's dope.

They brought back Richard Garfield for it too, he hasn't worked on a set since Innistrad.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Dehtraen posted:

Dual deck Merfolk vs Goblins should be uh.... interesting? poo poo they could print basically a budget modern Merfolk deck and a budget modern goblin deck if they wanted to.

Except that with the reprintings of Goblin Guide and Cavern of Souls, Goblins has become pretty budget friendly lately.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
DINOSAAAAAAAURS RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Magic's having a good week for announcements. Next year should be pretty cool for the game.

Also looking forward to getting a bunch of cool new Un-lands this winter.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Unstable should have banned cards as masterworks. Give them a red frame with a line through it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Tales of Woe posted:

They brought back Richard Garfield for it too, he hasn't worked on a set since Innistrad.

Now that's got me pretty excited

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

if unstable has a gotcha-like mechanic in there then...I'll be unhappy, I guess

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Vraska is back, and she's now a gorgon pirate lady? Cool.
She's also fighting against natives that ride dinosaurs? Also cool.
New Un-set? Sure, sounds like it will be fun for about a few hours, which is ultimately all that un-sets are good for.
Masters 25 next year? We'll see. Could be sweet, could be meh.
FTV: Jace and a bunch of cards nobody cares about? Meh. What else even costs anything?

Return to Dominaria? gently caress YESS, IT'S HAPPENING BITCHES! WE'RE GOING BACK HOME!

All in all - good announcement day!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kalli posted:

Unstable should have banned cards as masterworks. Give them a red frame with a line through it.

Put one in every three packs, and immediately ban them from Limited play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The only thing people want to know about the unset is if they will reprint the avon lands.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Put one in every three packs, and immediately ban them from Limited play.

A mental misstep in every pod and an avon land in every pack.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The next duel deck is Merfolk vs. Goblins. It's gonna be like playing Legacy in 2009 again.

...I should also get on acquiring the cards for Merfolk before Ixalan spoilers drop, because there's no way that merfolk aren't in the set.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Jenx posted:

FTV: Jace and a bunch of cards nobody cares about? Meh. What else even costs anything?

Jace, Liliana, Delver of Secrets, Huntmaster of the Fells, Garruk Relentless, and Archangel Avacyn are all I can think of that would be noteworthy cards. Unless they do something radical and make Kamigawa flip cards double-sided.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Elyv posted:

if unstable has a gotcha-like mechanic in there then...I'll be unhappy, I guess

Maro has said the gotcha mechanic was bad because it discouraged talking during the game

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Announcements that aren't new cards = meh.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Both the core set and Dominiaria are 269 card sets, in case anybody was wondering about bloat in Standard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
We're going back to Dominaria. Holy poo poo.

Oh wow, third unset, too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Next block is Pirates and Dinosaurs? Sweet.

Block after that is Dominaria with Richard Garfield working on it? :gizz:

3rd Un-set? :vince:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also at last, Pygmy Allosaurus's type will be dinosaur again instead of this "Lizard" BS

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

DINOSAAAAAAAURS RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR

I gotta admit, I'm hyped that they properly gave the dinosaurs feathers.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Wizards has done good this week

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

also at last, Pygmy Allosaurus's type will be dinosaur again instead of this "Lizard" BS

I really hope they errata Allosaurus Rider to Creature - Elf Warrior Dinosaur.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Announcements that aren't new cards = meh.

:jerkbag:

Can't please everyone.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Elyv posted:

Yup, here's a small dinosaur hanging out among the glaciers and can glide through swamps

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

GeneX posted:

We're going back to Dominaria. Holy poo poo.

How is anyone surprised about this? They've been telegraphing it for like a year already, and it's the most obvious possible thing for the big deal 25th anniversary...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hey they showed one new card

The starter deck Nicol Bolas :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
oh gently caress, I somehow missed that Ixalan is about dinosaurs and el dorado

St0rmD posted:

How is anyone surprised about this? They've been telegraphing it for like a year already, and it's the most obvious possible thing for the big deal 25th anniversary...

I think you stepped in mcmagic's ellipses collection

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Hey they showed one new card

The starter deck Nicol Bolas :v:

Wait what where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FTV: Transform doesn't make sense because there aren't enough iconic transform cards in the game to fill a FTV...

Which means that they're going to errata flip cards into transform, and possibly do what they did with FTV Dragons and print a card from the upcoming set...

Which means they are indirectly confirming Return to Kamigawa in fall of 2018! :kheldragar:

EDIT: The FTV is later this year and not in summer of 2018 like I thought, so this is probably wrong.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 14, 2017