Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, they're planning to launch this superhero movie into a trilogy? That's a pretty bold move, totally unprecedented

It's pretty bold in the way that it isn't an 8 movie deal with 6 spin-offs planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retro Futurist posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, they're planning to launch this superhero movie into a trilogy? That's a pretty bold move, totally unprecedented
There was a lot of speculation that Sony was going to take Spider-Man out of the MCU soon so this is interesting to see that they have a longer-term deal

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was a lot of speculation that Sony was going to take Spider-Man out of the MCU soon so this is interesting to see that they have a longer-term deal

They were set up for 2 Spidey films and the next 2 Avengers films already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was a lot of speculation that Sony was going to take Spider-Man out of the MCU soon

What's her name from the Sony email leak was the sole source on that I think.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
We live in a world where I (and I'm sure others) do not give a gently caress about Spiderman or Superman movies but instead are hyped for stuff like Black Panther, Thor and even Venom. Imagine saying that 10 years ago.

But honestly, this Spiderman movie could not have me less enthused. I am much more excited at what a Tom Hardy Venom movie looks like. I'm starting to get superhero-fatigue and need something different.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaesarsosei posted:

We live in a world where I (and I'm sure others) do not give a gently caress about Spiderman or Superman movies but instead are hyped for stuff like Black Panther, Thor and even Venom. Imagine saying that 10 years ago.

But honestly, this Spiderman movie could not have me less enthused. I am much more excited at what a Tom Hardy Venom movie looks like. I'm starting to get superhero-fatigue and need something different.

This is a time when the biggest, most recognizable big-screen comic book superheroes are Iron Man, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Almost makes you want a time machine to try to convince a pre-MCU comics fandom that that's not a joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's easy to deal with, just stop going to see every single dang superhero movie they make. I pretty much only go to the Captain America movies unless something looks real good or is important to me personally. Wonder Woman was both of these things. If you care later just watch the others at home.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Forget 10 years ago, it's hard to imagine being excited for Thor before that trailer came out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

That's easy to deal with, just stop going to see every single dang superhero movie they make.

Nah.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

This is a time when the biggest, most recognizable big-screen comic book superheroes are Iron Man, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Almost makes you want a time machine to try to convince a pre-MCU comics fandom that that's not a joke.

Well, considering how the protagonists of those franchises are an insufferable libertarian, a secret nazi, and an idiot manchild, I don't think it's that crazy in the year 2017.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kaesarsosei posted:

Is that so surprising? The most interesting comic books often star the second- and third stringer. Less importance allows more freedom and interpretation (on the other hand Captain America is a Nazi, Batman was Jim Gordon in a Mecha-Suit and Iron Man Dr Doom, AI Tony Stark and a black woman at the same time, so it might not be as rigid any more).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Decius posted:

Is that so surprising? The most interesting comic books often star the second- and third stringer. Less importance allows more freedom and interpretation (on the other hand Captain America is a Nazi, Batman was Jim Gordon in a Mecha-Suit and Iron Man Dr Doom, AI Tony Stark and a black woman at the same time, so it might not be as rigid any more).

I mean even in the past before movies became such a big deal Batman was replaced with a religious nut job, Superman died and turned into electricity, and Spider-Man was a few different clones for a while. It's not like this is a new thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm starting to get superhero-fatigue and need something different.

Someone really needs to do a Plastic Man movie and just make it absolutely insane.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone really needs to do a Plastic Man movie and just make it absolutely insane.

It'd have to be animated or the CGI budget will be through the roof.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Stop saying Captain America is a Nazi. Captain America has been foiling Nazis sinc your grandparents were born. Yes I am aware of the comic run where he's a secret evil Nazi but CAPTAIN AMERICA IS NOT A NAZI.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultimate Cap might be a nazi.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rough Lobster posted:

Stop saying Captain America is a Nazi. Captain America has been foiling Nazis sinc your grandparents were born. Yes I am aware of the comic run where he's a secret evil Nazi but CAPTAIN AMERICA IS NOT A NAZI.

But in the new comic run he isn't even actually a nazi. He's a double-secret agent from an alternate reality that established a life in this world and may or may not be the original Steve Rogers and is currently leading a faction of moderate nazis to overthrow the radical nazis.

#JustComicThings

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But in the new comic run he isn't even actually a nazi. He's a double-secret agent from an alternate reality that established a life in this world and may or may not be the original Steve Rogers and is currently leading a faction of moderate nazis to overthrow the radical nazis.

#JustComicThings

:thunk:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, the person assumed to be the original Steve Rogers is a super buff old man who has been living in the woods on another planet (???) for potentially decades and maybe was originally born on earth and replaced a hundred years ago.

It's makes perfect sense if you just check my 84-slide PowerPoint presentation explaining the situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 14, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Hydra aren't nazis" has never fooled anybody who didn't want to be fooled

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, the person assumed to be the original Steve Rogers is a super buff old man who has been living in the woods on another planet (???) for potentially decades and maybe was originally born on earth and replaced a hundred years ago.

It's makes perfect sense if you just check my 84-slide PowerPoint presentation explaining the background.

haha please tell me you have a screencap of old man rogers in the woodlands of another planet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

haha please tell me you have a screencap of old man rogers in the woodlands of another planet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

"Hydra aren't nazis" has never fooled anybody who didn't want to be fooled

Weren't they just a generic terrorist group before the Cap movie though?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

drat was hopin he'd be chopping wood. that old man hair tho

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe it's just the colouring but that just looks like regular 30-40 year old Cap with a beard? His hair looks more blond than grey to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe it's just the colouring but that just looks like regular 30-40 year old Cap with a beard? His hair looks more blond than grey to me.

it's twinkling off the moonlight

like twilight but under the moon instead of the sun

but for missing anti-nazi super soldiers

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

TwoPair posted:

Weren't they just a generic terrorist group before the Cap movie though?

They were then they weren't then they were then they weren't. Is Red Skull in charge of them? Nazi. Is spy master Nick Fury fighting them? Not Nazi. Is Cap fighting them? Maybe Nazi, depends a bit on year and if it's spy master Fury or WW2 Fury.

Like, Sterenko's Hydra was basically SPECTRE/Dr. Evil complete with volcano base. Hickman's Hydra was similar except now the base is underwater and they're a wheels within wheels illuminati thing complete with blind samurai and tentacle monster. But if Red Skull or Crossbones are floating around then it's Nazi time. And Baron Strucker is also in charge of Hydra during Sterenko's and Hickman's run, and he was a Nazi too, but not in the way people think of Skull.

Also, if Hickman's Secret Warriors is canon, then Cap has always been a member of Hydra since joining SHIELD.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 14, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The hell is a 'moderate Nazi'?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

a liar

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Hickman's Hydra was similar except now the base is underwater and they're a wheels within wheels illuminati thing complete with blind samurai and tentacle monster.

That's the main one I was remembering, and they seemed way more generic evil.

I just don't want poor Bob, Agent of HYDRA from Deadpool to be a Nazi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

All the regular nazi stuff, minus the holocaust part.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hydra has itself been infiltrated by a New World Order-style organization that is attempting to undermine Hydra from within to implement a glorious egalitarian cyber-utopia instead of a glorious "survival of the fittest" utopia.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

We call them Republicans over here.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Zachack posted:

They were then they weren't then they were then they weren't. Is Red Skull in charge of them? Nazi. Is spy master Nick Fury fighting them? Not Nazi. Is Cap fighting them? Maybe Nazi, depends a bit on year and if it's spy master Fury or WW2 Fury.

Like, Sterenko's Hydra was basically SPECTRE/Dr. Evil complete with volcano base. Hickman's Hydra was similar except now the base is underwater and they're a wheels within wheels illuminati thing complete with blind samurai and tentacle monster. But if Red Skull or Crossbones are floating around then it's Nazi time. And Baron Strucker is also in charge of Hydra during Sterenko's and Hickman's run, and he was a Nazi too, but not in the way people think of Skull.

Also, if Hickman's Secret Warriors is canon, then Cap has always been a member of Hydra since joining SHIELD.

With Strucker I feel it depends on who is writing him. Early Strucker is a Nazi for sure. The "Strucker" in Wolverine: Enemy of the State was more anti-establishment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Who did this art?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

A euphemism for "alt-right". Still deserve a punch to the face.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Endless Mike posted:

We call them Republicans over here.

:drat: (ps. You right though)

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Apparently Jessica Chastain is in talks to play Lilandra in Dark Phoneix.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Oh so Fox has control over the Sh'iar? drat, I was hoping Marvel did and could do a future Annihilation/War of Kings type movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Also it is listed as a 'villain' role which is interesting

• Locked thread