Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Even though Ixalan comes out first, it doesn't have a card number associated with it like Dominaria. I wonder if it was left out accidentally or if there's some gimmick like dual face cards giving it some extra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

Wait what where?

Last 5 seconds of the video. Someone will transcribe it today

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I literally gasped in excitement at the third Un-set news! I'm less excited about Dominaria because I imagine they'll play down all the weird cool stuff about it us players from yesteryear like. I don't want them to do to the atogs what they ended up doing to the slivers.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Hey they showed one new card

The starter deck Nicol Bolas :v:

actual HOU previews start on Friday

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheChirurgeon posted:

Last 5 seconds of the video. Someone will transcribe it today

Oh. I didn't watch the video. But I could kind of make out some of the abilities.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver - 5UBR
Planeswalker - Bolas
+3: Each opponent loses 3 life unless that player sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card
-3: Destroy Target Creature, draw a card
-11: Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver deals 7 damage to each opponent, you draw 7 cards

Starting loyalty is covered by the box.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mossyfisk posted:

Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver - 5UBR
Planeswalker - Bolas
+3: Each opponent loses 3 life unless that player sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card
-3: Destroy Target Creature, draw a card
-11: Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver deals 7 damage to each opponent, you draw 7 cards

Starting loyalty is covered by the box.

This seems less terrible than the other planeswalker decks' walkers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Soul Glo posted:

This seems less terrible than the other planeswalker decks' walkers.

It's also the hardest to cast by far

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I was about to ask if it mattered when you could Marvel it out then I remembered yesterday's announcement :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I gotta admit, I'm hyped that they properly gave the dinosaurs feathers.

yeah that owned bones too

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

The Shortest Path posted:

FTV: Transform doesn't make sense because there aren't enough iconic transform cards in the game to fill a FTV...

Which means that they're going to errata flip cards into transform, and possibly do what they did with FTV Dragons and print a card from the upcoming set...

Which means they are indirectly confirming Return to Kamigawa in fall of 2018! :kheldragar:

I feel like this will include cards like dark depths and, if they're feeling really rude, any gideon

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

whydirt posted:

Yup, here's a small dinosaur hanging out among the glaciers and can glide through swamps

Also it's a rare for some reason

Just Ice Age things

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I feel like this will include cards like dark depths and, if they're feeling really rude, any gideon

Nah because that totally changes the function of the cards. You can trigger Dark Depths and then return it to the battlefield while the token is still around, and even have multiple copies of the token with Mirror Gallery, or have an opponent take control of the token and you still have the land in your yard, etc.

With flip cards, I don't think there's any situations where replacing flip with transform causes any differences in gameplay, other than I suppose potential interactions with stuff like Moonmist.

EDIT: I totally misunderstood your post. You meant just putting those cards into the FTV, not errataing them to have transform. :downs:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

They won't change Kamigawa flip cards into dual face cards because WotC doesn't do functional errata like that. That said, I could see them mixing in flip cards and DFC in this just because they're both hard to fit into traditional reprint settings.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Elyv posted:

Also it's a rare for some reason

Just Ice Age things

People love to gripe about bad design in current sets, but Ice Age is a really bad set by almost any measurement. Nostalgia for a few key cards like Necropotence gives it a much better rep than it deserves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Sengir Nosferatu is 100% a "transforming" card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

People love to gripe about bad design in current sets, but Ice Age is a really bad set by almost any measurement. Nostalgia for a few key cards like Necropotence gives it a much better rep than it deserves.

Brainstorm justifies that block

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Brainstorm justifies that block

It's in Mercadian Masques. We can pretend it was never in Ice Age.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

whydirt posted:

They won't change Kamigawa flip cards into dual face cards because WotC doesn't do functional errata like that. That said, I could see them mixing in flip cards and DFC in this just because they're both hard to fit into traditional reprint settings.

Is it actually functional errata if it doesn't change anything? There are zero cards or effects that care about flipping, and the only card that interacts with transforming is Moonmist. Moving a flipped or transformed card between zones reverts it to its un-flipped or un-transformed state in all cases, copying a flipped or transformed card inherits the state the same way, etc.

The only difference is card templating.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Star Man posted:

Jace, Liliana, Delver of Secrets, Huntmaster of the Fells, Garruk Relentless, and Archangel Avacyn are all I can think of that would be noteworthy cards. Unless they do something radical and make Kamigawa flip cards double-sided.

They'll probably do flip Nissa as well, Bloodline Keeper is a casual / tribal favorite, maybe Mayor of Avabruck? Isn't Elbrus, the binding blade kinda popular with EDH / casuals?

Depending on when they finalized the list I could also see Thing in the Ice as well as Westvale Abbey since both were very popular / "expensive" when they first arrived

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Huntmaster of the Fells is still the best flipper, also Delver of Secrets

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They specifically mentioned in the video that it's only Transform cards

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dehtraen posted:

maybe Mayor of Avabruck?

Ah, vintage superstar Mayor of Avabruck

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
It's kind of interesting that there's Iconic Masters in September and Masters 25 in March. More reprints is always better.

GonSmithe posted:

That is really stupid.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Story update: Liliana fought the 3rd demon she sold her soul to. Demon took control of her body, gatewatch stuns the demon and while he was wounded and distracted, Liliana raised up dozens of undead gators who tore apart and ate the screaming demon. Gatewatch is disgusted.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TheChirurgeon posted:

I mean, I may grab one for EDH stuffs, but yeah, you're probably not hard casting it in Standard

I didn't realize Masters 25 wasn't Iconic Masters

Masters 25 is probably just EMA 2, right?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Huh, so that Hour of Devastation trailer makes it look like bugs are gonna be the big evil tribe serving Bolas. That's kinda cool, what with locusts being an actual scourge for Egypt in...some old book that no one's ever heard of.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GonSmithe posted:

Which means they have a pool of 92 cards to choose from. That includes cards with mend.

woopie

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
As someone who didn't start playing until 2013 what's so great bout Dominaria

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Origins PWs, Delver, Huntmaster, Thing in the Ice, Garruk Relentless, Duskwatch Recruiter, Westvale Abbey, maybe Bloodline Keeper for the casuals

you can get a fair amount of relevant cards out of just the existing DFCs

Soul Glo posted:

I mean, I may grab one for EDH stuffs, but yeah, you're probably not hard casting it in Standard

I didn't realize Masters 25 wasn't Iconic Masters

Masters 25 is probably just EMA 2, right?

From the info we have so far I would guess that Iconic Masters is more of a casual-focused set whereas Masters 25 is more like an Eternal/Modern masters set.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If they announced that they were abolishing the reserved list for Masters 25, something tells me that newly printed copies of Black Lotus would sell for $1,000 and dual lands would still reach over $100 for those that add blue or green mana.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it actually functional errata if it doesn't change anything? There are zero cards or effects that care about flipping, and the only card that interacts with transforming is Moonmist. Moving a flipped or transformed card between zones reverts it to its un-flipped or un-transformed state in all cases, copying a flipped or transformed card inherits the state the same way, etc.

The only difference is card templating.

Moonmist, Immerwolf, and a few others make it a functional errata. That's what it means.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

Nostalgia. In the early years of the game almost every set was in Dominaria, just on a different continent. Its been 10 or 11 years since we've seen that plane..

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Dear Wizards;

Please have Pro Tour: "Un-set"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tales of Woe posted:

Origins PWs, Delver, Huntmaster, Thing in the Ice, Garruk Relentless, Duskwatch Recruiter, Westvale Abbey, maybe Bloodline Keeper for the casuals

you can get a fair amount of relevant cards out of just the existing DFCs

From the info we have so far I would guess that Iconic Masters is more of a casual-focused set whereas Masters 25 is more like an Eternal/Modern masters set.

Probably include Brisela just to go include one meld card pair

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

whydirt posted:

I bet that set had more lines of text per card then any other set.

It also had these two cards as well as multiple other cards that changed what lands were or tapped for what mana

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

mostly just nostalgia, almost all of the first 10 years of the game took place there. a lot of people miss the more austere fantasy-novel look&feel of early magic that's slowly been replaced by the more exaggerated comic-book look&feel we have now. obviously there's no reason why we should expect a nu-Dominaria set to reverse that, but it would be rad if it did even a little bit.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Finally. My Uncube needs fresh blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Based on the trailer, it looks like the 3 gods that Bolas removed from the city was a scarab god, a scorpion god, and a locust god