Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have a 50" TCL Roku TV in the living room that is new and 1080p but walking to the master bedroom where a 7 year old Samsung 720 32" the Samsung is noticeably sharper and better picture quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

Just test drove a 97 Silverado from Craigslist. Looked okay. Ran pretty good, shifted nice. Only complaint would have been that the brakes were very vague despite having a new master cylinder and brake job all around. Thought I might have a winner, and then I noticed the coolant reservoir: bone dry.
I'm never going to find a goddamned truck.

a 500 follar truck turns into a 5000 dollar truck, a 5000 dollar truck turns into a 5000 dollar truck.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

a 500 follar truck turns into a 5000 dollar truck, a 5000 dollar truck turns into a 5000 dollar truck.

Yup. And everybody with a $5000 truck is asking $7000 and that's more than I got in my pocket.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Enourmo posted:

My commute is 6 miles to school, usually about 20-30 minutes depending on if I stop at the convenience store.

On bad days it can take that long again to find parking.
Ride a drat bicycle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Ride a drat bicycle.

I seem to recall he said a while ago that would be a death wish.

After the shitfight of idiots AND a truck breaking a giveway sign yesterday.... I see his point. Cycling is fun but sometimes it's just dangerous as gently caress with the dickheads out there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I bet that a route could be found if one looked carefully, particularly at strava heat maps.

I have the world's most hilariously short commute, admittedly, but spending 5x as just in the parking garage than it takes to even bike there means that if my bike breaks I just walk because gently caress that noise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

I bet that a route could be found if one looked carefully, particularly at strava heat maps.

Heat Maps suggests on some of my route home that I should take a certain road that I know is a three lane highway with not verge or breakdown lane and not in your loving life will I dare ride that on a weekday. The heat maps glows red because it's a good route.... on a early Sunday morning with no traffic to be seen and hence group rides.

Also the route that's the faintest there is actually the safest - Not exactly a unique occurance either. Five Dock Road in Syd is a great example of big packs on weekends skewing the data that Nooooope gently caress that on a weekday while the actual safe route is pretty faint as I'm about the only person who uses it regularly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Heat Maps suggests on some of my route home that I should take a certain road that I know is a three lane highway with not verge or breakdown lane and not in your loving life will I dare ride that on a weekday. The heat maps glows red because it's a good route.... on a early Sunday morning with no traffic to be seen and hence group rides.

Also the route that's the faintest there is actually the safest - Not exactly a unique occurance either. Five Dock Road in Syd is a great example of big packs on weekends skewing the data that Nooooope gently caress that on a weekday while the actual safe route is pretty faint as I'm about the only person who uses it regularly.

Heat maps are a good start at least. I'm sure there's some weird back (aka residential) road option for 6 miles unless it is a true suburban hellscape.
If i could find a decent route to get through north baton rouge, one of the least bike friendly areas in the world as far as I can tell, (thanks to a local cycling advocate), one can probably find a route to the local university.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

4x4 2nd gen pandas get slightly worse economy (45 vs 50mpg) and slightly more understeer but otherwise are just as good as normal ones.

InitialDave posted:

That's enough time to fit a nitrous kit...

The thought had crossed my mind but I'm skint so I'll settle for rotating the tyres and stage 2 weight reduction (rear seat out, take a dump beforehand)

stump posted:

My money is on the panda :v:

It should be close but 70 rwd hp vs 60 fwd hp...weight is about the same.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Red is me, yellow is the school, green is an ecologically protected river with no crossings aside from major roads.

White arrows are Alafaya Trail and University Boulevard, 6 lane roads with two modes: get passed by lunatics like I'm standing still while doing 55 in a 45, or backed up for miles with reckless assholes weaving and jockeying for position like it's loving nascar.

South of me connecting to University is a little 2 lane road with no bike lane, trees right up to the shoulder, and lots of blind corners.

There's a nice trail behind my complex, but to avoid the busy roads I have to detour way out of my way, either north to Oviedo or south towards highway 50, which is a shitshow of its own.

Now consider doing all this in a pounding thunderstorm with lightning striking several times a minute like it's been all this week. While carrying a backpack and laptop bag.

E: also I pretty often have to shuttle bulky project materials from school to home, not really feasible on a bike.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 14, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dean Rd looks perfectly rideable for the .7 miles you'd need. Worst case, and I generally don't advise riding the sidewalk, ride the sidewalk and be extra careful at the intersections. You should be fine occupying your lane for .7 mi though.
Dean to McCullough (If Mcullough is too fast, just ride 0.1 mi to Chesham and cut into the neighborhood)
To Goldenrod
Left Suntree (Gets you a light over university)
Left Stadford
Lake Twylo
Buck
Rouse (bike lane)
Bike Trail or Lokanostsa depending.
6.3-6.8mi depending. Should take 30min (ish) and faster when you get used to it.

Re: Thunderstorms. Yeah, you'll have to drive those days. Just rain? Get a decent jacket and some rain pants or just drive I guess. Still at least 50% of the days better.

If You are feeling adventurous, there might be an unpaved path at the end of Aein rd to that dam, which looks like it has a bike path that joins the bike path down there. There is a very faint strava line and the street view makes it look possible.

edit: Or turn left at Rouse, go north to corperate for <6mi. You can probably chop an extra .5 mi off by cutting through the Siemens campus.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 14, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

1.9km, 5 minutes

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Today marks ten years hanging out with you bunch of reprobates. :toot:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Loser.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

slow learner eh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seminal Flu posted:

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

That LG was brutally sharp. Sharper than what I have at home by a damned sight.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

Seeing as it's a hotel TV it'll have your typical dynamic picture settings, every single bit of image processing banged up to max. That right there makes a lot of difference, TVs in stores have a demo mode which does similar, max brightness, max sharpness, max contrast, max motion enhancement... Fine for brightly lit stores and such but garbage for normal viewing settings. Some people just get used to it, I've got several friends who run then on dynamic, max everything and I can feel my retinas being scorched whenever we sit down to watch a movie. Horrible experience.

On the contrast (haha, AV nerd joke!) going to the cinema is hard for me as most cinemas have really lovely projectors with crap contrast ratios and slow colour wheels which just throw rainbows everywhere. Add to that the whole 24fps thing which inherently adds motion blur to everything and it just makes for a miserable viewing experience. I watched John Wick 2 at the cinema and for the most part it was fine but when he got into the sewer/catacombs thing it was just a mass of crushed black punctuated by flashes of gunfire. I get home after that and watch the trailer on my old plasma and holy gently caress, I can see everything in the clips for that scene!

It's annoying to pay premium prices when you have a better set up at home with comfier seats and a beer fridge nearby.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Could just be LG vs Vizio too. Vizio is usually the best value at their price points, but Samsung and LG are generally trading top spots for picture quality on their nice stuff.

Vizio's stuff is always a little bit behind Samsung and LG as well.

May also be a bit of your cable provider compressing the signal a bit compared to whatever setup the hotel has - they typically roll their own "cable" system, most of the ones I've seen are fed from a mix of satellite and OTA. I've only been in a couple of hotels that just feed straight cable to the rooms (and those have been of the no-tel -1 star variety).

That said... I have a couple of ancient (by LCD standards) 720p TVs here. :downsgun: The Samsung I have works when it drat well wants to (inverter issues), the Toshiba works every time (but freezes up a few times a week). They're both pushing a decade old, though, and I watch TV maybe once or twice a week.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's only a few manufacturers of panels, there's definitely various grades of panel though. Also multiple levels of image processing which some companies still get really wrong. But yeah, image compression from cable companies etc is pretty bad. Bandwidth is limited still so some channels get far more compressed than others, the only way to truly tell what your screen is capable of is to feed it a blu ray. And that's also why I dislike streaming, you get lovely bandwidth so you end up with colour banding to save space. If you're watching cartoons, great. If you like watching dark movies then prepare for a shitshow of banding and crushed blacks.

Generally though overall quality of image is still a fuckload better than it used to be in the early days of LCD screens, those were truly awful. I used to work for B&O and we pulled out so many of our CRT screens to replace them with LCDs that looked far worse, it was horrible. LCDs back then needed a HD signal to not look like utter crap but still kinda did.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 14, 2017

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I'm probably in the minority. But I loving hate those tvs that run high frame rate and smooth poo poo. I'm perfectly happy watching my movies at 24fps and it look nice to me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So it looks like there are too many variables to really track it down, that's sad. The Vizio is about 2.5 years old. It was a mid-range unit. I'm looking to go to 70, but want to wait until whatever "the next big thing" is becomes mainstream. Thanks for the input.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG that tower fire in London is horrifying. Esp. when you see the protest group have been screaming about the place being a death trap 4 goddamn years ago.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sadi posted:

I'm probably in the minority. But I loving hate those tvs that run high frame rate and smooth poo poo. I'm perfectly happy watching my movies at 24fps and it look nice to me.

Motion smoothing on stuff that's not supposed to have it, ie; the screen creates extra frames using some weirdo processing is bad and looks horrible. High framerate stuff looks super nice, it just looks really odd at first because as human beings we've known low framerate smeary action for so long in films despite IN REAL LIFE our eyes working at a far higher 'frame rate'. I guess this is why I love movies that actually film action scenes well with stable cameras so you can actually see what's happening unlike utter rear end like the loving Bourne films.

Garbage at low frame rate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VznKqWl5VE

Wonderful at low frame rate :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4w2GhkBKA

I want to SEE the loving thing I've paid to watch. (and y'all really should watch both Raid films if you even remotely like action)

*edit: watching that Bourne clip back again just shows up how awful those movies are in terms of action, wow. Also the sound editing is utter poo poo, love those cheap stock sound samples used everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 14, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: watching that Bourne clip back again just shows up how awful those movies are in terms of action, wow. Also the sound editing is utter poo poo, love those cheap stock sound samples used everywhere.

I'm glad we are getting long cut steady cam action once again. Quick cut shakey cam can go right the gently caress to hell - John Wick and The Raid is the greatest and best gently caress you to Bourne and Taken type crap. Still want to know how the gently caress they shot the mirror hall scence sin Wick 2, that was simply gorgeous

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG that tower fire in London is horrifying. Esp. when you see the protest group have been screaming about the place being a death trap 4 goddamn years ago.

Both the OSHA and crappy construction threads are following it, apparently the company that did the renovation hurriedly removed all documents and pages referring to their involvement from their website.It sounds like a story from a corrupt third world shithole, so I guess that's the UK now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Still want to know how the gently caress they shot the mirror hall scence sin Wick 2, that was simply gorgeous

That people didn't notice it whilst watching it is the single greatest triumph of that film... Seamlessly done. I can't wait to get that on blu ray, I'm going to watch the tits off it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Both the OSHA and crappy construction threads are following it, apparently the company that did the renovation hurriedly removed all documents and pages referring to their involvement from their website.It sounds like a story from a corrupt third world shithole, so I guess that's the UK now.

We can say that after the construction company get away with it. Of course the trial will be put off until after EU laws are repealed and there will be no UK law to prosecute them I expect. Just have to bung some MPs a few quid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

It sounds like a story from a corrupt third world shithole
That could be several places in London, really.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The London housing situation is laughable with people looking to make money off those who need a place to stay. I recall watching some show about the ridiculous setups some places in London have whilst I was down there for a gig. One room for rent was hanging off the back of a house, it was a small room maybe 8' wide by 20' long. It was a glazed conservatory type thing on the 2nd floor, leaky cold and they wanted £700 per month for it. Add to that there was a loving TREE growing THROUGH the middle of the room from the back garden below, I wish I could find it again, it was incredible. They'd thought about amenities though so there was a 4-way socket hastily screwed into the thick branch of the tree.

There's also this ongoing Vice series: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/topic/london-rental-opportunity-of-the-week?topic_id=5845ef56ec1539029ee3acef

quote:

Every week or so – the frequency varies but the bleakness stays the same – there will be an advert for a London property that plumbs new terrible depths of bad bastardry. Rent a bunkbed above a wardrobe, that sort of thing. Pay £1,500-a-month to sleep in someone's shed. You know: the sort of thing that only an estate agent with a ponytail and a thing for cheap gak can truly think is acceptable. Anyway: we have decided to catalogue all of these in a big effort to worry your mum. "How's London?" she's saying. She's leaving you a voicemail message because you won't pick up. "How's that London you live in? I've heard people get shot there. I've heard people pay £1,500 a month to live in sheds. Come home, Sam. Come home forever, and I'll do you a roast."

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 14, 2017

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The London housing situation is laughable with people looking to make money off those who need a place to stay. I recall watching some show about the ridiculous setups some places in London have whilst I was down there for a gig. One room for rent was hanging off the back of a house, it was a small room maybe 8' wide by 20' long. It was a glazed conservatory type thing on the 2nd floor, leaky cold and they wanted £700 per month for it. Add to that there was a loving TREE growing THROUGH the middle of the room from the back garden below, I wish I could find it again, it was incredible. They'd thought about amenities though so there was a 4-way socket hastily screwed into the thick branch of the tree.

There's also this ongoing Vice series: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/topic/london-rental-opportunity-of-the-week?topic_id=5845ef56ec1539029ee3acef

This is seriously the best series I've read in ages. Reminds me of my own abyss of dreary rentals, Toronto, but worse.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

quote:

"Come home, Sam. Come home forever, and I'll do you a roast."

Total non-sequitur but this made me miss my mom. "Are you hungry?" was pretty much her catch phrase, and it meant one of a dozen things like "I'm glad you're here/I love you/how are you/stay a while."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

Total non-sequitur but this made me miss my mom. "Are you hungry?" was pretty much her catch phrase, and it meant one of a dozen things like "I'm glad you're here/I love you/how are you/stay a while."

Damnit. Seeing your post reminded me that I never replied to you about the pdr tools. They are way too big and heavy to ship for any reasonable cost (big 3xshotgun case that weights ~70 pounds). And in all honesty, you can get a setup to test for way less than shipping cost for this set.

The guy that sold me on PDR back in ~2005 said that he could do it with a screwdriver... and that really is the point. If you know how to do it, the tools just help you get access to hard-to-get-to dents. Look on eBay or Aliexpress for a lighted line board, get some knockdown tools and a couple whale tales. That will get you in the ring... then just start practicing on the ones you can reach. If you don't blow the gently caress out of them, then you can start expanding the tool collection...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Re: Thunderstorms. Yeah, you'll have to drive those days. Just rain? Get a decent jacket and some rain pants or just drive I guess. Still at least 50% of the days better.

The problem is in FL, especially inland, thunderstorms pop up at random during the summer and it almost impossible to predict. And it's not just rain, the lighting is horrible and kills people every year.

Commuting on a bike during the summer in FL is dumb not only because of the brutal heat, but because of the unpredictable storms as well. I can't count how many times I've ended up at a 7-11 or something waiting out a storm in the summer it's a pain in the rear end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's hard to explain FL thunderstorms to people who aren't familiar. There may not be tornadoes, or softball-sized hail, but the sheer volume of rain dumping down can get ridiculous and the lightning is ever-present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgHTXMswG0

They're not all like that, of course, but it's typical enough that the risk just isn't worth it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Enourmo posted:

It's hard to explain FL thunderstorms to people who aren't familiar. There may not be tornadoes, or softball-sized hail, but the sheer volume of rain dumping down can get ridiculous and the lightning is ever-present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgHTXMswG0

They're not all like that, of course, but it's typical enough that the risk just isn't worth it.

They're also almost daily happenings in the summer too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wrar posted:

They're also almost daily happenings in the summer too.

I was on the Gulf coast last week and yeah, the storms dump a serious amount of water down.

But worse than that is Florida drivers. Ohio driving is really bad, and Florida made Ohio look like precision dancing. It is really odd to see large clumps of traffic doing 78 in a 70, only to drop down to 64, only to go back to 78... and repeat that cycle over and over without any particular cause for the mass slow downs.

I rented a Prius to see what they were like. I like the premise, and setting the dash to full-on video game mode is kinda fun, but I have never seen a more nagging, nanny-ing car in my life. Backup beeps for those inside the car only, hyperactive lane departure, all kinds of nags. But if the radar cruise thought it was too close to the car in front, it would fully turn disengage cruise without a peep. loving weird and annoying.

So yeah, it was a very Florida trip.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Seminal Flu posted:

Damnit. Seeing your post reminded me that I never replied to you about the pdr tools. They are way too big and heavy to ship for any reasonable cost (big 3xshotgun case that weights ~70 pounds). And in all honesty, you can get a setup to test for way less than shipping cost for this set.

The guy that sold me on PDR back in ~2005 said that he could do it with a screwdriver... and that really is the point. If you know how to do it, the tools just help you get access to hard-to-get-to dents. Look on eBay or Aliexpress for a lighted line board, get some knockdown tools and a couple whale tales. That will get you in the ring... then just start practicing on the ones you can reach. If you don't blow the gently caress out of them, then you can start expanding the tool collection...

No worries, Amazon has a few comprehensive sets that look appealing as well. But actually you're right. I should spend like $20 to figure out if I have the patience on some easy to reach dents, and then stock up on tools if I want to reach all of them. The little hot glue bridge pullers are pretty fascinating too, that would be a way better solution on the roof of my wagon (over taking the headliner down), if I could get good at pulling a dent proud and tapping it back.

The more I've been looking at my daughter's V50, it is really peppered with dents and the metal is really thin. And it's black with full gloss still. So basically worst of all worlds, if I can do that I can do anything.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

So it looks like there are too many variables to really track it down, that's sad. The Vizio is about 2.5 years old. It was a mid-range unit. I'm looking to go to 70, but want to wait until whatever "the next big thing" is becomes mainstream. Thanks for the input.

There is a very up to date thread in IYG about tvs, and deals on tvs.

OLED is the next big thing, and LG is the cost/benefit leader, I think, at this time. I'm personally holding out for Sony's new stuff to come out, and for the current video/audio signal wars to get somewhat settled. I'll probably pay a premium for it, but I think it's generally accepted that Sony has the best image processing. I've managed 7 years on my current VIZIO, and am still pretty happy. I'd like to get the same kind of service life from the next set as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The problem is in FL, especially inland, thunderstorms pop up at random during the summer and it almost impossible to predict. And it's not just rain, the lighting is horrible and kills people every year.

Commuting on a bike during the summer in FL is dumb not only because of the brutal heat, but because of the unpredictable storms as well. I can't count how many times I've ended up at a 7-11 or something waiting out a storm in the summer it's a pain in the rear end.

I have to laugh as the woman who just broke the world reord for kms on a bike did it all on Florida and is right now riding to break the the 100000 mile time record... 400kms a day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 14, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Florida afternoon storms were fantastic on my vacation there. Come inside, smoke a cigar on the porch and watch it come down, then go back to doing your thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

No worries, Amazon has a few comprehensive sets that look appealing as well. But actually you're right. I should spend like $20 to figure out if I have the patience on some easy to reach dents, and then stock up on tools if I want to reach all of them. The little hot glue bridge pullers are pretty fascinating too, that would be a way better solution on the roof of my wagon (over taking the headliner down), if I could get good at pulling a dent proud and tapping it back.

The more I've been looking at my daughter's V50, it is really peppered with dents and the metal is really thin. And it's black with full gloss still. So basically worst of all worlds, if I can do that I can do anything.

I've got a glue puller and it's handy, but not a panacea. There's little control with it as to when and how it releases, and this leads to very-easy-to-make high spots. That leads to using the knockdown tool, which can lead to a mess.

Yeah, thin metal with black paint... if you can make that look good, anything else would be cake.

angryrobots posted:

There is a very up to date thread in IYG about tvs, and deals on tvs.

OLED is the next big thing, and LG is the cost/benefit leader, I think, at this time. I'm personally holding out for Sony's new stuff to come out, and for the current video/audio signal wars to get somewhat settled. I'll probably pay a premium for it, but I think it's generally accepted that Sony has the best image processing. I've managed 7 years on my current VIZIO, and am still pretty happy. I'd like to get the same kind of service life from the next set as well.

Thanks, I'm not looking to replace that one right now, but I am looking to got to a 55" for the bedroom. I'll check out the thread.

• Locked thread