Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The after the thrones show never made any sense for HBO anyways. AMC trying to cash in by having the biggest show on cable in terms of ratings lead into a very, very cheap show that captured a portion of that audience was an easy way of making advertiser money. Having a show the next day, on a channel that doesn't have to rely so much on advertisers and that has a ton more content that it could have in its place made little sense and was probably HBO trying to find something for the rest of the Ringer people to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Root name was at least interesting enough to make me dive down a wiki hole to learn about it once, I probably wouldn't do that about AT&T SportsNet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

The Root name was at least interesting enough to make me dive down a wiki hole to learn about it once, I probably wouldn't do that about AT&T SportsNet.
Remember that time the government broke up AT&T into a bunch of regional entities? That sure worked really well, didn't it?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember that time the government broke up AT&T into a bunch of regional entities? That sure worked really well, didn't it?

The crazy thing is that splitting them up partly ended up creating the monster that exists now. The old AT&T was a single-focused monolith, very uninterested in doing anything but doing phones (including innovating in that area) but once it was regional, the regionals all had to diversify and learn to do different things. I don't think anyone imagined them being eventually reintegrated turning them into this giant monster, and like the DirecTV thing being allowed doesn't even make sense at all.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Benne posted:

So is HBO just gonna pay Simmons to do nothing and let his contract expire? What a bust.

only thing i know of is his involvement in the andre the giant documentary

Crazy Ted posted:

and to think soon at&t will own hbo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Adun posted:

I watch Game of Thrones and like Andy Greenwald/Chris Ryan but I had zero interest in watching After the Thrones. Just seemed like a terrible idea for a show to air the next day when all of the analysis/interesting poo poo is posted on Reddit in 15 minutes.

I didn't realize that was on the next day, what a stupid idea. It's disappeared off of HBO GO/Now as well, which is actually kind of odd because they have stuff decades old like The Larry Sanders Show.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I didn't realize that was on the next day, what a stupid idea. It's disappeared off of HBO GO/Now as well, which is actually kind of odd because they have stuff decades old like The Larry Sanders Show.

Likely a rights thing. Plus nobody is watching any of Simmons' TV shows anyway.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

The crazy thing is that splitting them up partly ended up creating the monster that exists now. The old AT&T was a single-focused monolith, very uninterested in doing anything but doing phones (including innovating in that area) but once it was regional, the regionals all had to diversify and learn to do different things. I don't think anyone imagined them being eventually reintegrated turning them into this giant monster, and like the DirecTV thing being allowed doesn't even make sense at all.

No one should have. Telecoms as they exist today are very much a late 80s/90s creation.

A lot of what makes up the modern AT&T wasn't widespread or commercially viable at the time of the breakup. When AT&T broke up, the first 1G mobile phones were hitting the market, the internet was a military research project, and there was one national cable network.

AT&T and Bell Labs did a ton more for electrical engineering and computer science than just working on phones. Transistors, C, Unix, etc

Oh and Shannon establishing Information Theory which fundamentally redefined communications, and is one of the most significant papers of the last century.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IMB posted:

This was easily the worst thing I had ever seen and I loving love Game Of Thrones

He's gonna produce documentary stuff for them and if the ringer is making any money they'd get a cut of that I assume

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

if the ringer is making any money

I feel like this is a pretty big 'if' at this point

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I doubt it too but I have no idea how much money mail order underwear ads bring.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

MourningView posted:

He's gonna produce documentary stuff for them and if the ringer is making any money they'd get a cut of that I assume

Huh? I'm just talking about the After the Thrones show. I can't get enough of Game of Thrones and yet that show was such a waste of time that I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Ringer podcasts make a ton of money. Not sure if it offsets the losses on the writing side or not.

The deal with Twitter is also probably decent. Twitter is spending like half a billion on video content over the next few years. Aftershows make much more sense on that platform than they do on TV.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mayweather/McCregor is official so get ready for a towering inferno of bad takes over the next 2 months

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fox Soccer 2Go (the OTT streaming service) is now Fox Soccer Match Pass, so as not to be confused with Fox Sports Go (the TV Everywhere app).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rick posted:

exploded mummy posted:

No one should have. Telecoms as they exist today are very much a late 80s/90s creation.

A lot of what makes up the modern AT&T wasn't widespread or commercially viable at the time of the breakup. When AT&T broke up, the first 1G mobile phones were hitting the market, the internet was a military research project, and there was one national cable network.

AT&T and Bell Labs did a ton more for electrical engineering and computer science than just working on phones. Transistors, C, Unix, etc

Both of these are kind of true.

When AT&T was a monolith, the government was restricting them to just the commercial technologies that they were selling (phone, phone equipment, etc.) and limiting them from going anywhere else, for fear of too big a monopoly. AT&T agreed to divest itself of the most visible commercial side of their business (what became the regional telecoms), while hanging onto equipment manufacturing, long-distance networks, and research & development, while also adding data processing, computer tech, and everything into the future.

AT&T was very interested in everything else, but already had the antitrust people on their backs. So they went for a big public breakup to get the go-ahead to publicly sell and promote everything else as AT&T, eventually bringing everything back together far down the line.

AT&T, thanks to Bell Labs, had a lot of the firsts of the computer age that people would consider important, and yet, even today, old people are literally leasing telephones from them like they did in the 1950's.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

Mayweather/McCregor is official so get ready for a towering inferno of bad takes over the next 2 months

Why anyone would believe this won't be the most boring thing ever broadcast I don't know.

--me for every Mayweather fight since Cottto at least.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can I first post this by clarifying that I am a fan of the team's fanbase that this guy has decided to target, and so I potentially have bias here. Good? Okay.

That being said, Anyone here familiar with Michael Rappaport?

http://www.wkyc.com/sports/nba/cavaliers/michael-rapaport-is-still-fighting-with-cleveland-cavaliers-fans/447943941

He's uh...nuts. I think he has some serious problems in life he needs to get taken care of. It's not so much hilarious or anger inducing, as this stuff just reads to be very sad. Like I understand goons getting mad online over poo poo, but this guy should by all definition have a life.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh is this the guy who got into the really personal beef with Lebatard?

E: yeeeeeeep

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Is this going to be entertaining at all? I just don't see this being anything more than a worse Mayweather/Pacquiao fight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is this going to be entertaining at all? I just don't see this being anything more than a worse Mayweather/Pacquiao fight.

maybe in a trainwreck way but by all rights the fight itself is going to be terrible.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Oh is this the guy who got into the really personal beef with Lebatard?

E: yeeeeeeep

He got drunk with 'Sheed and celebrated the cavs losing, posted a message claiming that "LEBRON RUINED THE NBA BITCH" or something to that effect.

I'd NORMALLY find that sort of stuff hysterical. (If I wasn't a fan of the team in question that is. I'm pretending I have no Cleveland ties), but it really came across as really sad. Like in a manner where you'd see a rock star trying to party but he's clearly needs to go to rehab sort of way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUxXO3eSHa0 (for reference)

I don't know what enables guys like him to get on TV, Radio and such, but honestly perhaps it's time that sort of stuff is put to a stop. Credit where is credit is due. Guys like Cowherd, Bayless, SAS make a living from this stuff, but they rarely engage with the outside world in regards to the "hot takes" they spit out. This sort of behavior he's exhibiting isn't exactly showing some sort of good mental health.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

No i'm with you on that, he's unhinged.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Both of these are kind of true.

When AT&T was a monolith, the government was restricting them to just the commercial technologies that they were selling (phone, phone equipment, etc.) and limiting them from going anywhere else, for fear of too big a monopoly. AT&T agreed to divest itself of the most visible commercial side of their business (what became the regional telecoms), while hanging onto equipment manufacturing, long-distance networks, and research & development, while also adding data processing, computer tech, and everything into the future.

AT&T was very interested in everything else, but already had the antitrust people on their backs. So they went for a big public breakup to get the go-ahead to publicly sell and promote everything else as AT&T, eventually bringing everything back together far down the line.

AT&T, thanks to Bell Labs, had a lot of the firsts of the computer age that people would consider important, and yet, even today, old people are literally leasing telephones from them like they did in the 1950's.

This makes sense. I probably honestly shouldn't have tried to authoritatively post about something I only half remember anyway.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I first post this by clarifying that I am a fan of the team's fanbase that this guy has decided to target, and so I potentially have bias here. Good? Okay.

That being said, Anyone here familiar with Michael Rappaport?

http://www.wkyc.com/sports/nba/cavaliers/michael-rapaport-is-still-fighting-with-cleveland-cavaliers-fans/447943941

He's uh...nuts. I think he has some serious problems in life he needs to get taken care of. It's not so much hilarious or anger inducing, as this stuff just reads to be very sad. Like I understand goons getting mad online over poo poo, but this guy should by all definition have a life.

He was in the Howard Stern Show office fantasy football league and the other guys voted him out because he would call opposing players the week he was playing them and leave messages about how he was going to come to their houses and rape them and stuff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GobiasIndustries posted:

its a 12 round boxing fight, so Floyd's probably gonna win by decision

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rappaport is nuts. Not sure how much of it is an act or if he's really completely hosed in the head.

Although I also hate the guys on Twitter who talk incessant poo poo and then throw a tantrum when a celebrity poo poo talks them back. The guy crying the hardest calls himself a "provocateur" in his Twitter profile and talks a ton of poo poo to others.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Rappaport is nuts. Not sure how much of it is an act or if he's really completely hosed in the head.

Although I also hate the guys on Twitter who talk incessant poo poo and then throw a tantrum when a celebrity poo poo talks them back. The guy crying the hardest calls himself a "provocateur" in his Twitter profile and talks a ton of poo poo to others.

I'm mixed on that.

On one hand? Yeah he could potentially be asking for it. But only if the response is proportional. I'm a follower of Reflog_18 and I don't believe he's ever posted pictures of someone's kids or posted the address of someone who he's squared off with

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

exploded mummy posted:

Oh and Shannon establishing Information Theory which fundamentally redefined communications, and is one of the most significant papers of the last century.

I should know more about this.

Is this the paper you're talking about? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mathematical_Theory_of_Communication

I would like to know more. Can you tell me more or point me in the direction of some more information? I've got a decent CS background so the concepts make sense, but can you tell me some about the history?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

exploded mummy posted:

"Listen, Skip, you need a high signal-to-noise ratio to explain why your COWBOYS are going to the Super Bowl."

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Rappaport was pretty okay on Hot Ones and I enjoyed his episode, but then literally every other time I've ever seen/heard/read him, he's acted like a jackass so I don't even know what to think anymore

sportsgenius86 posted:

He was in the Howard Stern Show office fantasy football league and the other guys voted him out because he would call opposing players the week he was playing them and leave messages about how he was going to come to their houses and rape them and stuff.

Nevermind, I know exactly what to think, he's out of his goddamn mind

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

This makes sense. I probably honestly shouldn't have tried to authoritatively post about something I only half remember anyway.

You have valid points, but we really had a major shift in how we share and process data in the 80s and 90s that just were not a thing when AT&T broke up because it was so goddamned long ago, relatively speaking. I wanted to point that out a bit more.

EvanTH posted:

I should know more about this.

Is this the paper you're talking about? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mathematical_Theory_of_Communication

I would like to know more. Can you tell me more or point me in the direction of some more information? I've got a decent CS background so the concepts make sense, but can you tell me some about the history?

Yeah, that's the one.

I'd have to got take a look and see if I can find a few other papers or something to recommend, Information Theory and Signals Processing was my focus in grad school, but that's not really been my focus at work.

Conceptually it should make sense, Shannon's paper serves as a baseline for how we model channels and channel limitations, so the last 70 years or so of development in data processing have that as a base. It's very axiomatic in a way, it's like learning about geometric rules and then going and reading Euclid's Elements.

(And by channels, I mean any sort of medium where data transmission takes place. It means over actual physical transmission such as cable, radio waves, etc. or virtual mediums like encoding, compression, or even cryptography. It is a very extendable framework )

It also defines Shannon entropy which is a way to measure information based off of the number of states and probabilities. Shannon entropy is notable it's the minimum size needed for lossless transmission, and can be converted between different mathematical bases, which means that it's super easy to figure out how much entropy can be found in a system that uses say...2 states (on or off) to transmit information. So it gives a good idea what the theoretical maximums needed for a particular event.

It also is very extendable in modelling noise on a channel, so you can also figure out your baseline on how to handle error correction as well.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 15, 2017

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Fox Soccer 2Go (the OTT streaming service) is now Fox Soccer Match Pass, so as not to be confused with Fox Sports Go (the TV Everywhere app).

It's still $20 a month though which is a deal breaker for me. I'd pay $10 a month for it but $20 is too steep. I wish I could just pay like, $8 a month and just get NRL and nothing else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bellator MMA has hired Mike Goldberg and Mauro Ranallo, they'll debut at their MSG show on June 24th

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IMB posted:

Huh? I'm just talking about the After the Thrones show. I can't get enough of Game of Thrones and yet that show was such a waste of time that I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

I quoted the wrong post whoops!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm mixed on that.

On one hand? Yeah he could potentially be asking for it. But only if the response is proportional. I'm a follower of Reflog_18 and I don't believe he's ever posted pictures of someone's kids or posted the address of someone who he's squared off with

I follow him too, and he's a provocateur in the since he will talk almost insane amounts of trash at opposing fans without it getting too personal

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm mixed on that.

Yeah I'm not advocating what Rappaport does. But there are a lot of people who talk insane amounts of poo poo to celebrities and athletes. Then that athlete lobs a bomb their way and they act like some victim. I mean I don't advocate violence but I also understand if you walk up to someone and talk poo poo on the street, there is a chance that person will go overboard and punch you in the face.

I do like it when athletes poo poo talk back.

https://twitter.com/dwighthoward/status/365244053605974016?lang=en

https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/874391134235131905

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 15, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't forget the GOAT:
https://twitter.com/carmeloanthony/status/418105548845121536?lang=en

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
That Dwight Howard tweet is probably the best thing he's ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

chunkles posted:

That Dwight Howard tweet is probably the best thing he's ever done

That interview where Stan Van Gundy talks about how him and Dwight are fighting all the time and someone is getting fired/traded soon and then Dwight comes out of nowhere and puts his arm around him oblivious to the context of the interview will always be my favorite.