Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Peachfart posted:

This is going to piss off Samsung even more, right? If Google goes full Apple, Samsung won't be able to compete.

gently caress 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Peachfart posted:

This is going to piss off Samsung even more, right? If Google goes full Apple, Samsung won't be able to compete.

Samsung makes parts for a ton of phones, including iPhone, and they'd continue to make parts for not only all those phones but their own devices which are the #1 selling Android phones by far. Look at the Nexus/Pixel and how it affected the Samsung relationship (it didn't). I'm not concerned for uncle sammy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Samsung will continue to make phones that explode, and people will still buy them, I don't understand how this prevents them from competing

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

Athough I guess if you have lovely consumer protection laws it matters more.

So it matters to pretty much everyone in the US?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

So it matters to pretty much everyone in the US?

Basically the country that matters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We have a large gulf of sales to cross before Samsung gives a gently caress.

It was noticed today that the Pixel launcher (the official one that is only available on Pixel devices) just now transitioned from 500k+ installs to 1M-4M.

So, that means that Pixel has just now crossed the 1M sold threshold after 8 months.

Not exactly setting the world alight.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

It was noticed today that the Pixel launcher (the official one that is only available on Pixel devices) just now transitioned from 500k+ installs to 1M-4M.

So, that means that Pixel has just now crossed the 1M sold threshold after 8 months.

Not exactly setting the world alight.
Does this include the Pixel C as well? Mine got the Pixel launcher a while back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

Does this include the Pixel C as well? Mine got the Pixel launcher a while back.

I assume it does, but come on, you and I are the only people that own one I'm pretty sure. So, it's not really statistically relevant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Explains why Google is ditching HTC. Of course they only sell a million when it's never in stock.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Explains why Google is ditching HTC. Of course they only sell a million when it's never in stock.

Not gonna lie, the persistent stock issues is a big part of why I didn't replace my Nexus 6 with a Pixel XL.

The bulk of the rest being, holy poo poo the G5+ is a hell of a phone for the money. I wish it had a bigger and slightly better screen, I wish it had a better camera, and I wish it had USB-C... but not for more than double the price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

The LG Nexus 4 was impossible to get at launch too. I camped the order page and got 6 the moment they went up for sale and made gazillions flipping them on eBay.

Edit: too bad we're probably never going back to that amazing price-point, though

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You're a bad person and poo poo like that is why normal people can't obtain them hth

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

You're a bad person and poo poo like that is why normal people can't obtain them hth

Rich people in the United Arab Emirates are also normal people who wanted them... am I bad because they bid them up over $1000 each?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Personally I am looking forward to the Moto X4 (if the rumoured specs are true) rather than any $1000 phones.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Moto X 2015 great phone love the device got* Nougat upgrade a couple of months ago, hope it gets^ Nougat soon, lovin that December 2016 security patch.

* For certain definitions of "got" which include making a press release saying the update is going out
^ For certain definitions of "get" in which a real live user actually gets an android update installed on their phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Motorola phone is good and I will sing their praises BUT if you expect timely updates or any more than one version update you will be sorely disappointed

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yep. I have a Motorola Nexus 6 that is still on 7.0 but at least I keep getting security updates.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think the Pixel is also not a very compelling option for a lot of people, even those interested in flagship phones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
True, < 6 GB RAM, no IR blaster, really don't understand the hype.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Incessant Excess posted:

I think the Pixel is also not a very compelling option for a lot of people, even those interested in flagship phones.

It needs to at least be waterproof. Also if I'm paying premium price I'd want something premium like wireless charging.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I am sure the pixel is a very nice pocket computer but you will never justify an 800-1000 dollar price tag to me

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No uSD card, no deal :colbert:

I love my Pixel XL

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

I love my Pixel XL

:same:

I'm still waiting for PIXEL WARRIORS gangtags

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That would require removing my redtext...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
If you are one of us Scrublords who don't own a pixel but want to give the pixel launcher a go: There is now a version based on the AOSP launcher that does all the stuff the pixel launcher does (including swipe left for the google feed, swipe up for the app drawer and app shortcuts if you are on 7.1.1 )without root or anything:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...-mods-required/

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

I am sure the pixel is a very nice pocket computer but you will never justify an 800-1000 dollar price tag to me

Same. $200-$300 is all anyone needs to pay. I'm thankful for Motorola, warts and all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
loving lol if you don't get your job to pay for your phone. they need to call me, they can supply me a phone

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Who gives a poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Truga posted:

loving lol if you don't get your job to pay for your phone. they need to call me, they can supply me a phone

Mine doesn't need to call me, thus they don't need to supply me a phone.

loving lol if you're a corporate slave chained to your job 24/7

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:same:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Same. $200-$300 is all anyone needs to pay

No one cares, let people buy what they want and spend what they want.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Mine doesn't need to call me, thus they don't need to supply me a phone.

loving lol if you're a corporate slave chained to your job 24/7

I mean, they don't need to call me which is all the more reason I had them give me one. I only tell smart people the number so I get calls once or twice a year for actual emergencies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, they don't need to call me which is all the more reason I had them give me one. I only tell smart people the number so I get calls once or twice a year for actual emergencies.

Yep. My friends/family know they can reach me via email, work calls me once or twice a year and I don't tell my work number to anyone. It owns.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one cares, let people buy what they want and spend what they want.

Obviously someone cares.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone had problems with their Pixel being very flaky when it comes to connecting to WiFi, even access points that you've told it to connect to in the past?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Has anyone had problems with their Pixel being very flaky when it comes to connecting to WiFi, even access points that you've told it to connect to in the past?

I've had some issues with it on my Pixel XL. Mainly on airport wifi fwiw. Specifically it'll connect to the airport wifi, but say no internet available.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Pixel XL wifi seems fine but I haven't paid close attention to it tbh

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

monster on a stick posted:

Started noticing this yesterday with my work's wifi.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hooah posted:

Started noticing this yesterday with my work's wifi.

I talked to Google Support and they are offering a replacement device after I tried a bunch of steps to fix it, but with Moto the replacements were typically rejects that someone else sent back, and I am wary of getting one of those (this device is only two weeks old.) Is that fear unfounded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
I have a (original verizon, now on Fi, never unlocked or rooted) nexus 5x which suddenly rebooted and got stuck in a boot loop. it will not finish booting no matter what I do.

is there anything else i can/should do before dealing with LG support?