Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I tried Apoc Proudclad and actually thought it was a bit easier than the JS, but mostly because I felt more in control the whole time. For the JS, I relied purely on Last Stand shenanigans, but for Apoc I relied on RW Wall and just stacking breaks, and it was really, really smooth sailing.

Lightning L85- Stacking Imperils and doublecasting Thundering Twinstrikes/Burst Commands
Raijin L95- I threw down one Aura for safety, but Last Stand never got used because I kept damage under control, and he otherwise used his Burst to help with healing and then detonate
Ramza L99- Shout, but I also threw down a Tailwind at one point.
Barrett L80- My only Pentabreak, Barrett somehow never died
Vanille L99- Heals, heals, and more heals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Well I managed to pug the 160 mp with mastery but the 220 still eludes me.

I keep either getting a decent group that almost pulls it off but a dumb player hosed up in some way or I get nonstop retard groups who do dumb things like bringing shell and never using it or some other stupid thing.

I want those stupid motes ugh.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Edge SSB really does cheese the hell out of the full throttle fight. The fact that it's Phys Blink and Last Stand means that everyone in the party can eat two hits for each cast. Throw in a Steal Power, and have Ramza use Chant on turn 2 for some stoneskin bubbles after shouting, (and a Tailwind on turn four after a quick Full Break for medals) and there's just never really any danger.

Used Ramza USB as an RW for even more attack boosting and a party wide turn of noncharge to speed up the rest of the setup, and... yeah. Boss went boom.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Randabis posted:

Well I managed to pug the 160 mp with mastery but the 220 still eludes me.

I keep either getting a decent group that almost pulls it off but a dumb player hosed up in some way or I get nonstop retard groups who do dumb things like bringing shell and never using it or some other stupid thing.

I want those stupid motes ugh.

My rule of thumb for MP is that if there's a critical scripted attack sequence its going to be real rough time with random pubbies cuz the chance of people doing specific things at specific times is next to none.

Maybe try a goon group?

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I know about all this and did run with an unsuccessful goon group. I was just trying it a few more times before bed when no goon groups were up.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I'm real salty about the JumpStart fight.

It seems like you need so many different things for it to be doable.

You need a few different kinds of defense buffs to keep juggling AND sources of lightning imperil AND enough sources of Last Stand to keep them up AND big damage BSBs or OSBs.

My best attempt got him down to about 30% of his health, using Edge's Last Stand BSB, Relm's BSB, Ramza's BSB and Shout, Native SG on Tyro as an off healer with Full Break, Reno's BSB, and Lightning's BSB2 for damage and imperil. I'm not sure what I could do better here.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Uncle Ulty posted:

I'm real salty about the JumpStart fight.

It seems like you need so many different things for it to be doable.

You need a few different kinds of defense buffs to keep juggling AND sources of lightning imperil AND enough sources of Last Stand to keep them up AND big damage BSBs or OSBs.

My best attempt got him down to about 30% of his health, using Edge's Last Stand BSB, Relm's BSB, Ramza's BSB and Shout, Native SG on Tyro as an off healer with Full Break, Reno's BSB, and Lightning's BSB2 for damage and imperil. I'm not sure what I could do better here.

Which is your RW? Is it Edge's Last Stand? If so, consider a heal Burst or USB (Selphie, Yuna or Eiko are really good) or maybe better yet, Ramza's USB. You may need to be zerging him more offensively. For me, stacking Ramza's BSB Wall and Protect was basically good enough to make all the attacks limp as hell in that middle phase, I didn't even have a Last Stand as Vanille's burst got me through his two big piercing attacks. Is Reno your next best Lightning user? Do you have any other options? I used Kain and Laguna.

Randabis posted:

I know about all this and did run with an unsuccessful goon group. I was just trying it a few more times before bed when no goon groups were up.

What team are you bringing to this battle?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Also consider that Proud Clod is only 20% weak to lightning. If you have a better non-lightning DPS character you don't need to force yourself to use a lightning character.

I

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

iamsosmrt posted:

Which is your RW? Is it Edge's Last Stand? If so, consider a heal Burst or USB (Selphie, Yuna or Eiko are really good) or maybe better yet, Ramza's USB. You may need to be zerging him more offensively. For me, stacking Ramza's BSB Wall and Protect was basically good enough to make all the attacks limp as hell in that middle phase, I didn't even have a Last Stand as Vanille's burst got me through his two big piercing attacks. Is Reno your next best Lightning user? Do you have any other options? I used Kain and Laguna.

I had Lightning's BSB2 as the RW - I was using Edge's SSB natively, alternating between that and having him use the RW Lightning BSB commands. I don't really have a ton of great options for Lightning elemental damage (and no native imperil lightning). The only lightning damage SBs I have are SSBs for TG Cid, Lightning, and Desch (none of which did enough damage to be worth using), and BSBs for Reno, Garnet, and Shantotto. I tried bringing Shantotto, but without an additional source of Faith for her, she wasn't keeping up.

Other non-lighting items that may help are OK with BSB and OSB, Gilgamesh OSB and BSB, Ramza with Shout, Chant, and BSB, Agrias with Cleansing Strike and BSB, Tyro with Wall, and Beatrix and Warrior of Light BSBs. For healers I have Arc's Phys Blink Medica and BSBs for Relm, Eiko, and Aeris.

What would be the best way to build my team given those options?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Thundercracker posted:

Also consider that Proud Clod is only 20% weak to lightning. If you have a better non-lightning DPS character you don't need to force yourself to use a lightning character.

I

Slightly Weak means 50% weak. Turns out I was wrong and it is 20% weak for this! Oops. :saddowns:

The problem isn't that so much as the fact it resists the Standard Elementals. If you've got a good Holy or Dark (EDIT: Or Poison) team that can stack some imperils, though, you can do just fine without Lightning elemental attacks. [citation needed: have yet to try this on the jump-start myself]

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was able to beat jump start easily enough with a mage team on my first try.

Ashe BSB
Cid Raines BSB
Tyrio SG
Vanille BSB
Ovelia BSB

RW Ramza's USB

No last stand, no imperil, no hastega. Tyrio brought breaks and one of the healers brought protect.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I

This. My only lightning bsb is raijin, so I just threw together a holy team. Wanted to run the wombo combo of agrias enholy to bsb imperil to osb. Also had hope osb (one of my 3 xiii sbs). Used edge last stand and rw ramza usb to throw out instant cast osbs to finish him off before he could do too much.

He starts really slow until he hits 70% and the limiters come off, lots of time to get all set up to burn him down with whatever you've got.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I've been bringing vanille with her bsb and onion with bsb osb and blowback ssb and using whatever healing/utility/proshellgas/debuffs are needed for the groups for the turtle. We had a really good goon group earlier that just got unlucky on our 2 attempts. I have other things like Serah's bsb or wall but the groups I've been in haven't needed me to do anything else.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I feel like OK BSB+OSB combo will be great for these Full Throttles. Buffs magic and attack both so allowing for more versatile teams, and then you can use your OSB the next two commands to put in some damage from that slot.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
YESSSS FUCKKKK YOUUU JUMPSTART!

After my post above listing out my options, I realized I had the makings of a pretty solid Holy team, so I went in with OK BSB and OSB, Agrias OSB (Thundaga Strike for Mastery), Ramza BSB/Shout/Chant, Tyro with Wall (FB for Mastery), and Arc Phys Blink SSB, with a Ramza USB RW.

I got an itchy trigger finger and started the burn phase slightly before he got to 70%, so I ran out of SB charges before he died, but I had enough juice left to close the deal. Mastered the fight with no one dead, and only 2 medals lost for damage.

All I really wanted to do this week was Master that JumpStart fight for the 4* motes, given that I cannot stay connected long enough to finish MP fights. I am so relieved.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I feel so neutered without native OK BSB or a healer BSB.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Randabis posted:

I've been bringing vanille with her bsb and onion with bsb osb and blowback ssb and using whatever healing/utility/proshellgas/debuffs are needed for the groups for the turtle. We had a really good goon group earlier that just got unlucky on our 2 attempts. I have other things like Serah's bsb or wall but the groups I've been in haven't needed me to do anything else.

Do you have any of the Last Stand BSBs/USBs? That's probably the one thing that I'd bring over Vanille, if that's an option. Otherwise, you're probably doing all that you can, RNG be RNG. Good luck

Uncle Ulty posted:

I had Lightning's BSB2 as the RW - I was using Edge's SSB natively, alternating between that and having him use the RW Lightning BSB commands. I don't really have a ton of great options for Lightning elemental damage (and no native imperil lightning). The only lightning damage SBs I have are SSBs for TG Cid, Lightning, and Desch (none of which did enough damage to be worth using), and BSBs for Reno, Garnet, and Shantotto. I tried bringing Shantotto, but without an additional source of Faith for her, she wasn't keeping up.

Other non-lighting items that may help are OK with BSB and OSB, Gilgamesh OSB and BSB, Ramza with Shout, Chant, and BSB, Agrias with Cleansing Strike and BSB, Tyro with Wall, and Beatrix and Warrior of Light BSBs. For healers I have Arc's Phys Blink Medica and BSBs for Relm, Eiko, and Aeris.

What would be the best way to build my team given those options?

Is that Garnet's BSB 1 or 2? If you have Desch's imperil SSB (and he's leveled up), I'd bring him with Wrath and probably power breakdown and use him to RW Rapha's BSB which has a team faithga builtin. Bring Shantotto too and make sure both of them have as much defense as possible. If you happen to have a really strong Mage Sword (like Terra's bloodsword), this could open up some options for you:

Desch: Wrath, PBD - Imperil Lightning
Shantotto: Witch spells - BSB
Tyro: Heal Fullbreak - SG
Relm: Heal/Protectga - BSB
Ramza: Wrath, Mentalbreakdown - BSB (equip him with the mage sword)

Build up your SBs for the beginning phase. You'll likely go through an entire Wall to do this. Make sure you have at least 3 for Desch and 2 for Shantotto. Anyway, throw in your mitigation one more time, plus Ramza's BSB. Cast Desch's SSB at least twice, then Shantotto's BSB. Hopefully this will get you most of the way there. I'd use Ramza to keep building SB for Desch/Relm/Shantotto. Anyway, as Desch's RW wears off, start spamming his SSB again, RW Rapha on Ramza and unload everything.

If you don't have a mage sword, just use Ramza more conservatively and cast RW on Desch again. I think this should do it, but give it a go, play around with it. And if I'm wrong about your Desch SSB, then I guess all that advice won't do.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

I feel so neutered without native OK BSB or a healer BSB.

my inability to pull contemporary healing SBs is driving me insane right now, and I hope the medica banner is kind

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't think i'd have cleared this A+ if i hadn't lucked out and finally gotten a decent healer burst in the WM lucky draw.

just learned two things from MP: the 160 version of that stupid loving reptile still hits plenty hard if your teammates don't use their loving breaks. and you can use lightning's OSB on yourself. apparently.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Is this jumpstart fight like on par with Aeons and Ironclad or similar to the 5 220 fight? If it's that brutal i might give it a pass

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

wizard on a water slide posted:

my inability to pull contemporary healing SBs is driving me insane right now, and I hope the medica banner is kind
I hear you. I have plenty of decent SSB options, but at some point Arc/Selphie/Ovelia SSBs just can't cut it like Vanille's BSB does.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Is this jumpstart fight like on par with Aeons and Ironclad or similar to the 5 220 fight? If it's that brutal i might give it a pass

Based on what everyone's been experiencing here, it's a bitch of a fight unless you have certain soul breaks. Some people are having luck with debuffing him into oblivion and buffing the team up well enough to handle the lasers, some are having luck with loading up on overpowered soul breaks and just damage racing it, and some of us are having luck with last stand spam. I've noticed a few people doing well with a balanced approach, but I figure if you have the soul juice all filled up from the start, it's more fun to lean into the gimmick.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Servaetes posted:

I actually found it really easy, but depends on what relics you have. Wall, Defensive buff SB, Lightning Burst, Lightning Imperil and Insta-Medica plus decent attack buffing RMs make it cake. I RWed Shanttoto's chain Lightning for shits and giggles and basically had the thing on the verge of death by the end of my chain.

Having abilities outside of wrath/lifesiphon plus the Attack RMs make a pretty big difference.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'm completely lacking in meaningful lightning SBs but I have a lot of healer BSBs, some respectable BSBs, and native wall and Ramza USB do it might be doable.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Prav posted:

i don't think i'd have cleared this A+ if i hadn't lucked out and finally gotten a decent healer burst in the WM lucky draw.

I ended up pulling Asylum from the White Mage Lucky Draw and I swear to god I'm playing an entirely different game now.

I previously had Eiko's BSB, which was pretty great in and of itself, but this is heads and tails a different experience.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Slightly Weak means 50% weak. Turns out I was wrong and it is 20% weak for this! Oops. :saddowns:

The problem isn't that so much as the fact it resists the Standard Elementals. If you've got a good Holy or Dark (EDIT: Or Poison) team that can stack some imperils, though, you can do just fine without Lightning elemental attacks. [citation needed: have yet to try this on the jump-start myself]

Like I said before, I beat both the Jump Start and the Apoc+ version with my A-Team of a Holy Imperil and Holy OSB plus Wall and Last Stand so yeah, it's very doable. Though I will note that both ended with one character downed in the last moments, so they were by no means effortless.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

AegisP posted:

I ended up pulling Asylum from the White Mage Lucky Draw and I swear to god I'm playing an entirely different game now.

I previously had Eiko's BSB, which was pretty great in and of itself, but this is heads and tails a different experience.

Do you have Tyro's wall? Asylum is more like my victory cigar BSB at this point. Y'shtola's stuck on Wall duty and Proshellga/healing most of the time, I don't really get a chance to use Asylum until the fights almost finished and it basically seals the deal.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Do you have Tyro's wall? Asylum is more like my victory cigar BSB at this point. Y'shtola's stuck on Wall duty and Proshellga/healing most of the time, I don't really get a chance to use Asylum until the fights almost finished and it basically seals the deal.

I have no native Wall, so I always have to RW it.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

Ysh will wall and bsb is so drat good in full throttle. She didn't even carry heal spells, just armor breakdown for mastery and faith to boost up hopes osbs some more.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I need to stop pulling on these but the itch was too strong today. None of the 5* were duplicates. Did I do well?

(This was one of the Lucky Draws- the Black Magic one, I think?)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Two of the best magic Lightning BSBs (Ashe and Rapha), two lightning+ armors (Ashe and Reynn), and an earth+ armor (Rinoa).

Rapha's BSB alone would make that an amazing pull. It's essentialy a Lightning-element Raines BSB, but with MAG/RES buff instead of MAG/DEF, and a small heal on her CMD 1 instead of the Instant Cast.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

I need to stop pulling on these but the itch was too strong today. None of the 5* were duplicates. Did I do well?

Holy poo poo. Yes, you now have an amazing Lightning Mage team. If you didn't before, you definitely have the DPS covered to beat the A+ right now.

way to go steve posted:

Ysh will wall and bsb is so drat good in full throttle. She didn't even carry heal spells, just armor breakdown for mastery and faith to boost up hopes osbs some more.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I did finally get to bust them both out a the same time. That was awesome.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

IllegallySober posted:

Congrats, you can now Magic the poo poo out of Proud Clad...

Especially if you can add (natively or via RW) Garnet's BSB2 for the Imperil and the ATK/MAG Buff.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 14, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have lightning aoe ssb, shantoto csb, and rapha bsb, and raijin bsb, so I could do that, but no native wall, and all those dudes are 30-65 so not until next time it comes around :/

A lightning imperil would be cool but I only have dark/holy imperils.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pichupal posted:

Two of the best magic Lightning BSBs (Ashe and Rapha), two lightning+ armors (Ashe and Reynn), and an earth+ armor (Rinoa).

Rapha's BSB alone would make that an amazing pull. It's essentialy a Lightning-element Raines BSB, but with MAG/RES buff instead of MAG/DEF, and a small heal on her CMD 1 instead of the Instant Cast.

iamsosmrt posted:

Holy poo poo. Yes, you now have an amazing Lightning Mage team. If you didn't before, you definitely have the DPS covered to beat the A+ right now.

AstraSage posted:

Congrats, you can now Magic the poo poo out of Proud Clad...

Especially if you can add (natively or via RW) Garnet's BSB2 for the Imperil and the ATK/MAG Buff.

Wow, way better than I realized. Thanks, guys. Guess I have some leveling to do. I'll check but these might be my first lightning+ relics. I definitely did not have a lightning team before.

On another note, has JP gotten more team slots than the 20 we have? With all the elementals and the realm synergy teams I feel like I could use another 5 or so.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Apoc down! I think it would be a bad, bad idea to go for Champion, though. This is a 220 difficulty fight my foot, he was much harder than anything we got so far and that's taking into account that I was not able to beat Asura/Leviathan.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

Apoc down! I think it would be a bad, bad idea to go for Champion, though. This is a 220 difficulty fight my foot, he was much harder than anything we got so far and that's taking into account that I was not able to beat Asura/Leviathan.

Yeah, I don't know if it was just overtuned to assume Cloud USB RWs or if it was just a bullshit fight by design, but he does way too much damage you can't actually mitigate reliably.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
A+ mastered finally. Ignoring the lighting weakness was definitely the way to go:
OK with BSB and breaks
Raines BSB
Hope BSB+OSB (+Holy weapon and armor)
Selphie USB
Vanille BSB
RW Wall

I thought for sure my insta Selphie/Vanille combo would make this fairly straight forward but I wasn't pumping out the damage with lightning SBs (Kain BSB, Lightning OSB, Ramza Shout). The mage route worked much better; Hope's OSB was doing max damage. I guess I'll take the same team for Jump Start.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, I don't know if it was just overtuned to assume Cloud USB RWs or if it was just a bullshit fight by design, but he does way too much damage you can't actually mitigate reliably.

I'm thinking it's more of a bullshit fight, especially with Laser in play. He hits too fast and hits too hard.

There's not much that can hit him for over the damage cap unless he's imperiled.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, I don't know why they like designing bosses that can attack like 3 times before you get an action, all it does is encourage resetting until the RNG doesn't insta-gib someone. It's not difficult, it's just a "do i have to reset or not" check.

• Locked thread