Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Get some real ones :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

Get hosed.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why hahaha?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bape Culture posted:

Don't you have knockoff brakes on your car? :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah for now. I'll get some APs when I get my intrax damper setup.

the dude was saying he specifically didn't know what to put on next and liked the look.

Porsche man: hmmm what wheels should I get next
Me: how about the legit version of the ones you like very much
Weird failure trailer park man: autistic screeching

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

the dude was saying he specifically didn't know what to put on next and liked the look.

I believe that's a mirror

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I believe that's a mirror

I don't have a Porsche!!!!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Back when I used to have TE37SLs someone asked me if they were real. I said "yeah" not understanding he was asking me if they were replicas. After I found out about Rota and how they like to blow up on the track, I made a promise that I would never buy replicas.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

um excuse me posted:

After I found out about Rota and how they like to blow up on the track, I made a promise that I would never buy replicas.

Is that actually true though? I've seen about as many legit wheels explode as I have copies...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

rap music posted:

picked up a sparklin clean '99 Limited 4Runner a couple weeks and proceeded to get her filthy this weekend

1UZ's fit in those properly well. Just sayin.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

No way man, those are more than half of what I've spent on the entire car. They're going back on the trashbox 996 as soon as my 17" 993 Targa Speedlines are refinished because they're heavy and the tires are too wide so it damps a lot of the silly fun I had before on 16s. I already have enough wheels laying around.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Your 996 looked nice af to me!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Don't you have some weird knockoff engine in your car, maybe you should get a genuine bmw one haha.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Your 996 looked nice af to me!

It's great from a distance but up close the paint is pretty bad. He used expensive paint etc but there's runs, dull spots, and all kinds of weird paint problems that might clean up a little with some heavy sanding. The hood needs a respray though, he used a Boxster S bumper cover, a bunch of bolts were loose from when he dropped the trans for a new disc including the both of the main trans mounts being fully unthreaded. The airbags are all gone plus the main module but through some magic there's no faults in the DME. Finally the alignment is completely off and the nice coilovers are fully dropped then put on the softest setting to compensate for the roughness from lack of travel.

Also since he did all the work himself he didn't document the work properly so I have to replace the suspension and both bumpers with parts that are new or have a VIN from the donor to have a chance to pass inspection and I'm seriously considering just saying gently caress it and parting it out since I'd make a little money on it at worst. I still have to check if I can insure it without airbags because I don't know if I can put them back since they did some voodoo to keep it from throwing codes like the module never existed.

But it is cool af and I want to keep bombing around in it if at all possible so thanks :q:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is that actually true though? I've seen about as many legit wheels explode as I have copies...

Based on my basic Internet detectivery, it seems to be true for those models specifically. I can't speak for all replicas vs real.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
If your tracking a car, wheels have a service life. Personally I like how sweet wheels look but I'm not paying for the brand price. I'll probably buy the concave rota grids for my Miata because I'm not about to put $4k in Volks on a $2k car. If the grids fail early I'll just deal with the fallout.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My track wheels are 15 year old advans lol. :thunk:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Spent Saturday morning removing :kingsley: brake dust :kingsley: and a nice hand wash only to have the weather turn over the last couple of days. So it sits in the garage waiting for better weather.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sadi posted:

If your tracking a car, wheels have a service life. Personally I like how sweet wheels look but I'm not paying for the brand price. I'll probably buy the concave rota grids for my Miata because I'm not about to put $4k in Volks on a $2k car. If the grids fail early I'll just deal with the fallout.

If it helps I got mine under $2k used.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Please keep any criticisms toward cars and not towards other posters.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
SH which blue is on your e90m? i love it

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

SH which blue is on your e90m? i love it

Interlagos Blue. If the internet is to be believed only about 350 IB E90's made it to the North American market, with this being a 2011 and ZCP option there are likely not many like it :)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I put my Vorsteiners back on. HOPEFULLY AI APPROVES.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
burn him

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

DropShadow posted:

Looks good to me. What does your normal ride-height look like?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DropShadow posted:

Heck yes, those rims look so good on this car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Needs more Ronal Teddy's.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DropShadow posted:

No the other ones :mrgw:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Cage posted:

burn him

I lol'ed.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Looks good to me. What does your normal ride-height look like?

Just slightly higher than it was on coilovers. I don't have any pics at NRH at the moment. My "low" preset is slightly lower than the coilover ride height, but the fronts rub in turns.

Bape Culture posted:

No the other ones :mrgw:

Already sold them. Thinking FF04's next.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

Your car always looks awesome. It makes me want one.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
This is the truck I've been asking stupid questions about :

It's a 2WD 2001 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L, 247,000 miles on the odometer. It was clearly a work truck, possibly from Texas but it run and drives decently. I attribute the latter to the bonus toe-in courtesy a bent tie rod. I'm going to replace everything rubber in the front end, the shocks and tie rod, add a transmission cooler and use it to tow my sailboat to the lake.
I'm not in love with the 20" Tahoe wheels, I'll probably trade them for stock 16"s as soon as I can.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
No rust, wow. Nice find.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

monsterzero posted:

It's a 2WD 2001 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L, 247,000 miles on the odometer. It was clearly a work truck, possibly from Texas but it run and drives decently. I attribute the latter to the bonus toe-in courtesy a bent tie rod. I'm going to replace everything rubber in the front end, the shocks and tie rod, add a transmission cooler and use it to tow my sailboat to the lake.
I'm not in love with the 20" Tahoe wheels, I'll probably trade them for stock 16"s as soon as I can.

Awesome. My old man had a 2004 and that fucker rotted away with less than 70k miles on it after about 12 years in the north.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

monsterzero posted:

Wanna buy an LQ cam for it? :getin:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Re: cheap track wheels

I just looked for something with beefy spokes in 15x8. FAST had some ugly rear end chrome/black wheels for 600CAD tax in so I went with those. They're not light, but they work. If I had money I'd just get 949 racing ones.

Plus they got that dish yo.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

No rust, wow. Nice find.

Apparently I need to start a side business selling local older model southern trucks up north. Those last forever down here. My '01 3500 still has all the factory bar code stickers on the frame.

I'll make literally tens of dollars!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You joke but there is someone up here in Mass who buys trucks from the South West and ships them up and sells them for a premium as there is no rust.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryrobots posted:

Apparently I need to start a side business selling local older model southern trucks up north. Those last forever down here. My '01 3500 still has all the factory bar code stickers on the frame.

I'll make literally tens of dollars!

My Dad's been doing this since I moved to TN. He finds, I buy and fix then he flies down and drives them to WI/MN to sell. Usually rare/unique older stuff but could do it with almost anything...depending on how you value your time.

That's a good truck you picked up, should run forever and tow poo poo like a champ. Guy down the road always has at least one of those in his yard partially disassembled, think he buys them for a certain part cheap then sells off the rest of the truck.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Glad to hear I didn't do too awfully. If you guys live somewhere trucks are cheap send them my way.
I paid a little more than I wanted ($2750) and I broke one of my own rules and bought from a curbstoner. I spent a good three weeks looking for a truck and anything priced reasonably was snapped up almost instantly (by redneck car flippers, I assume.) Anything that was posted more than a few hours was located in BFE, had some problem with the title/registration or the seller was unresponsive. Usually two of the three.
I took a chance on this one because it was 5-years newer than anything else I had seen at the price, and I figure 160k and 250k aren't really that different since I would probably need to fix everything on the former anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

monsterzero posted:

Glad to hear I didn't do too awfully. If you guys live somewhere trucks are cheap send them my way.
I paid a little more than I wanted ($2750) and I broke one of my own rules and bought from a curbstoner. I spent a good three weeks looking for a truck and anything priced reasonably was snapped up almost instantly (by redneck car flippers, I assume.) Anything that was posted more than a few hours was located in BFE, had some problem with the title/registration or the seller was unresponsive. Usually two of the three.
I took a chance on this one because it was 5-years newer than anything else I had seen at the price, and I figure 160k and 250k aren't really that different since I would probably need to fix everything on the former anyway.

I'd definitely be a lot more comfortable putting big mileage onto an LM7 than an L31, too. Good move going for the later model, even if the mileage is comparable with the older ones.

Maybe keep an eye on that 4L60E, but that would be the same in the older trucks, so no loss there. I think only the heavier tonnage trucks have the more durable 80E

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 20, 2017