Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's already a Monster Hunter MMO anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

There's already a Monster Hunter MMO anyway
Two of em, even

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
and those game suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYo8ybSamc
Days Gone turns out to have depth through weather radically changing things.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Monster Hunter stuff sounds great. I bet numerical feedback on how well your attacks are doing will really piss off hardcores, but now I can judge if hitting something is doing well instead of trying the fight 5 times, or looking in a companion app for every single monster. Changing out weapons mid hunt, awesome. Oh I discovered this guy is weak to fire, good thing I have a fire axe, brb. Again no looking up in an app beforehand because I don't want to waste a half hour to find out something is strong against my weapon set. Felt like cheating a bit, but I don't want to do that busy work. Bless every sperg that made those apps, I love you. but this info should be transparent and in the drat game.

I'm envisioning multiplayer where I piss off one monster, you piss off another and we cross paths and watch them slam into eachother and we enjoy the show!

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 14, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm about half way through prey and I'm gonna shelf it. Like, on one hand I do appreciate what it's trying to do and thematically it's pretty cool if not a little generic, but something about it just feels really unsatisfying to play and after like 6 hours I feel like I should be more excited about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Days Gone is definitely a wait for reviews game. It could end up being fun but right now, it looks like the most unremarkable Sony exclusive in a long time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I think I'm about half way through prey and I'm gonna shelf it. Like, on one hand I do appreciate what it's trying to do and thematically it's pretty cool if not a little generic, but something about it just feels really unsatisfying to play and after like 6 hours I feel like I should be more excited about it.

I felt the same way. And pushed through. I did it wrong. Even the goons the love it say the last third is the worst part. (I think the whole thing was the worst part) put it down and play fun games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

never been that interested in monster hunter before but world looks pretty cool

was there a release date for it? I don't remember if the e3 trailer said anything but I don't think it did

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Manatee Cannon posted:

was there a release date for it? I don't remember if the e3 trailer said anything but I don't think it did

Just early 2018.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ah cool, thanks. hope that is actually true but any time a dev gives a release date that nebulous, you just know it's a placeholder

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

It has a rep for being difficult to get into. But the last few versions have really streamlined things. And this looks to be a major step. Besides not being portable it looks amazing.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I get the feeling that Days Gone is going to be an Horizon situation.

Everyone will be rolling their eyes at yet another open world game until they play it and it turns out to be really good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

veni veni veni posted:

I'd say if you don't like it/aren't having fun playing it by the time you get to the Arboretum than it's probably time to shelve it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

spudsbuckley posted:

Everyone will be rolling their eyes at yet another open world game until they play it and it turns out to be really good.

Has another game surprised people as much as that game? Especially after that terrible cut scene clip that we saw months back

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

I get the feeling that Days Gone is going to be an Horizon situation.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised again. I was pretty skeptical of HZD due to it being from Guerilla Games and their Killzone track record (which, granted, isn't my genre of choice). I remember being really hype for it up until the footage of that one (admittedly terrible) cutscene was leaked. I was really glad to see that the game is awesome. I want more awesome games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Has another game surprised people as much as that game? Especially after that terrible cut scene clip that we saw months back

It only surprised people in the goon bubble. Horizon was one of the most heavily hyped Sony releases ever and coverage was very positive from its E3 debut up to release.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda think the only people surprised that it was good were the subset of posters in this thread that got really mad at that youtube video

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry the context of "you people" here is simply you terrible goons

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yes because that video existed only in this thread and definitely nobody else on the internet saw the same terrible cutscene and thought it might be reflective of the quality of the rest of the game. Uhuh. Keep patting yourselves on the back for definitely not being "goons" like everybody else in this thread.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Mario x Rabbids

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think Doom was arguably way more surprising and even more recently Prey. Like With Doom and Prey I saw people being dismayed at getting it sent to them by Gamefly or people being made fun of for buying them day one. Horizon just had a bunch of people going "it's probably going to be bad"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

somewhat topically when i clicked hte post history of that minecraft nintendo fan guy he was one of the people bringing up how bad hzd looked in the thread as one of his first posts lmao

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Manatee Cannon posted:

I kinda think the only people surprised that it was good were the subset of posters in this thread that got really mad at that youtube video

Hey, there were also posters who thought the game would be bad because you shoot glowing weakpoints to hurt the robots or hide in tall grass.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Goons were also very wrong about DOOM in 2016, myself included admittedly. The biggest divide I've seen on these forums from what most normal people think though is probably the Elder Scrolls series. They're some of the most critically and commercially well-received games on earth and they get poo poo on constantly by goons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^^^ It made sense that people thought doom 2016 would be bad though, since an unrelated GPU company did a better job of selling the game than bethesda's marketing department.

the reaction to the horizon video was mostly your garden variety goon hyperbole. I didn't read anywhere else that suddenly thought the game would be terrible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think Doom was arguably way more surprising and even more recently Prey. Like With Doom and Prey I saw people being dismayed at getting it sent to them by Gamefly or people being made fun of for buying them day one. Horizon just had a bunch of people going "it's probably going to be bad"

Prey surprised me with how terrible it was after goons fell over themselves to fellate it OMG SYSTEM SHOCK 3 but it sucks this time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that arkane games are pretty divisive in general. also odds are that people who hate prey probably would have hated system shock, a lot of people hold it up as a classic but i would be willing to bet a pretty large portion of those people never actually played it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Goons were also very wrong about DOOM in 2016, myself included admittedly. The biggest divide I've seen on these forums from what most normal people think though is probably the Elder Scrolls series. They're some of the most critically and commercially well-received games on earth and they get poo poo on constantly by goons.

yea tes and the bethesda fallout games are way less popular here than elsewhere. also call of duty from what I've seen

tho to be fair about doom, the prerelease multiplayer beta gave a really bad and incorrect impression of what the full game was gonna be like

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest divide I've seen on these forums from what most normal people think though is probably the Elder Scrolls series. They're some of the most critically and commercially well-received games on earth and they get poo poo on constantly by goons.
They get poo poo on constantly because "goons" encompasses hundreds (thousands?) of people with different tastes and opinions, you notice "goons" making GBS threads on TES when they do it and not when they don't. The thread for every ES game is huge, we even had an entire sub-forum that was dedicated to Skyrim and some other game that I don't remember, didn't we? Because too many people were starting threads in Games about Skyrim.

Edit: Pretty sure it was Skyrim and Saints Row 3 or something weird. They came out in the same year.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It only surprised people in the goon bubble. Horizon was one of the most heavily hyped Sony releases ever and coverage was very positive from its E3 debut up to release.

More like people in the tired of open world collectathon bubble. There was lot of lukewarm let's see expectations going around -- not that it was going to be outright terrible, but still -- in games media I follow like Easy Allies. I don't know what the big outlets thought though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Akuma posted:

Yes because that video existed only in this thread and definitely nobody else on the internet saw the same terrible cutscene and thought it might be reflective of the quality of the rest of the game. Uhuh. Keep patting yourselves on the back for definitely not being "goons" like everybody else in this thread.

I think the only people who saw that YouTube video were already in the bubble to get shared a tweet from a random NeoGAF post.

90% of the people who played Horizon probably saw an ad for it and was like, "That's cool" and then they bought it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Akuma posted:

They get poo poo on constantly because "goons" encompasses hundreds (thousands?) of people with different tastes and opinions, you notice "goons" making GBS threads on TES when they do it and not when they don't. The thread for every ES game is huge, we even had an entire sub-forum that was dedicated to Skyrim and some other game that I don't remember, didn't we? Because too many people were starting threads in Games about Skyrim.

Edit: Pretty sure it was Skyrim and Saints Row 3 or something weird. They came out in the same year.

yea that's a good point. I guess it's just more that the people that don't like tes are really vocal about it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you have to assume that at this point at least some percentage of people who enjoyed skyrim may have fatigue. plus you know they've been kind of consumer unfriendly since it was released too

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TES is in a weird spot now because its been re-releases of the same game for like 7 years. So Skyrim specific hate is couched in boredom too. Not as many people poo poo talked Skyrim when it first game out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I used to played Morrowind so much I'd throw up from migraines. Oblivion was one of the most fun times I've ever had with an RPG. Fallout 3 similarly.
The problem somewhat with Skyrim and definitely with ESO and Fallout 4 is that Bethesda's writers have gone to absolute poo poo.
The main story and dialogue in FO4 is woeful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Knack 2 looks great.

You can now control when you shift size

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Days gones trailer was anti hype. Would have preferred to see anything other than stealth outpost clearing with human enemies in another game. They needed to show the game was more than a tech demo but the uniqueness of the monster flood should have still been the focus.

How are there still new games where the stealth begins and ends with bushes that make you disappear completely. It's the dumbest thing in HZD and I tuned out as soon as I saw it in this trailer. Aside from icon spew, it's the biggest lazy design meme in open world games that I'd like to see disappear.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Knack 2 comes out and turns out to be better than AssCreed Unity, surprising everyone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Basically this is hardcore combat, all the way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Knack can now parry melee attacks and can dual wield sunstone energy swords