Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Buyouts are nice but I really want to see some big trades happening soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So remember how everyone thought the Rangers would blow it up last year? Maybe this year is the year :tinfoil:

I still don't think you need to make major changes, if they don't poo poo the bed vs Ottawa they're in with a shout. But oh well, guess I better strap in for the wild ride.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Farewell, Dan Girardi. You blocked more shots than a Republican playing baseball.

:tviv:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Mind_Taker posted:

Bobby Mac saying Stepan is involved in some trade chatter. He doesn't usually say anything unless it's fairly solid info so maybe he'll be dealt soon.

I read some non reputable proposals of Stepan for Galchenyuk a few days ago and laughed it off until I thought about the GMs involved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

So Girardi out, Stepan out, Kovalchuk in, Shattenkirk in. Sound about right RAS?

It sounds right but I sure as hell don't want that to happen.

E: Stepan's NTC kicks in 7/1 so I guess that's one of the reasons his name is popping up if they want to clear cap.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 14, 2017

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

If this isn't a ZBAD style trade and hopefully for a good young RH dman I'm going to be mad.

my at least somewhat realistic wishlist would be one of vatanen/faulk/tanev/spurgeon. dumba/trouba is a stretch i'm sure but i'd obviously take them too

e: also i mean i wouldn't turn down kovalchuk on a short/not insane deal but if it would take a long/stupid deal then i want to stay far away

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

*tugging collar gif*

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah isn't kovy already old as poo poo, don't fuckin sign him

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
he is, but he's also still very good. i wouldn't mind him for a couple years if we got a good deal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Kovy seems like the type of player that would age well. Great skater to begin with, and even if he's lost a step 5v5 he can still sit on the point or the off-wing blasting dingers all night on the PP.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Kovy seems like the type of player that would age well. Great skater to begin with, and even if he's lost a step 5v5 he can still sit on the point or the off-wing blasting dingers all night on the PP.

I'm still weary of his contract demands.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah there's no chance Kovy goes anywhere in the NHL without being astoundingly overpaid

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Girardi and Staal were pretty good once, right? They just got old and busted?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

yeah there's no chance Kovy goes anywhere in the NHL without being astoundingly overpaid

I dunno about that. I bet he'll land somewhere for 5-6 million and he's probably worth that if he can put up the 50-60 points I'd expect him to.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah, that and systems changes and the league speeding up. Staal never made it back to the same level after an eye injury and concussion. Girardi is 33 and has blocked thousands of shots, thrown thousands of hits, and played through every injury.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

2012 playoff run from Girardi was magical. Steal was good before his brother gave him permanent hot brain.

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno about that. I bet he'll land somewhere for 5-6 million and he's probably worth that if he can put up the 50-60 points I'd expect him to.

I'm more worried about term.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That turd IncarceratedBob is apparently saying the Jets, Avs, and Wild are in on Stepan. Grain of salt.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

That turd IncarceratedBob is apparently saying the Jets, Avs, and Wild are in on Stepan. Grain of salt.

Stepan to Wild, E. Staal drafted by Vegas, M. Staal waives NTC for Vegas. Please.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I updated the Mike Milbury Golden Shoe Awards with a new worst ref award after the Very Good Officiating in the playoffs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816570#post473395982

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

if i was doing fake rumors those would be the teams that would make sense to pitch, since they have trouba, barrie, and dumba respectively. obviously i'd take all of those players, but they seem like a reach.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah people have been speculating the Rangers will try to move Stepan before his NTC kicks in.

He is a Good player but he's a weird one in that he will never wow you, but somehow consistently puts up about 55 points and is a pretty smart defensive player. He seems slow, but gets where he needs to be, he doesn't stand out in a lot of areas but somehow gets the job done. He's a good players who's worth something.

I don't really mind the Rangers blowing it up a bit here because it's become obvious they need some changes and aren't going to win the cup with this current groups. They need to shed some salary and get a bit younger in the process so they can build back up for a few years without their players passing their peak.

It's weird I definitely wanted Girardi gone but it's just weird to see him go. I wonder if he'll sign on with another team. Dude's body has been wrecked the past couple of years you'd think maybe he'll call it at this point. The buyout hit sucks but you can replace him for the same amount or even cheaper and get better production on the ice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Stepan for Brodin, maybe? That way Minny doesn't have to give Brodin up for nothing in the Exp. draft?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Avs being in on him would be... odd. That seems like the kind of thing they'd do though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah, that and systems changes and the league speeding up. Staal never made it back to the same level after an eye injury and concussion. Girardi is 33 and has blocked thousands of shots, thrown thousands of hits, and played through every injury.

Yeah Staal got turbo hosed by injuries. That concussion he had really hosed him up bad for a long time and just when he was getting his groove back he lost an eye and definitely hasn't been the same sense. Add in the change of speed and systems around the league and him aging a bit and now he's slow and struggles to make decisions with the puck fast enough. He used to be great at regaining the puck in the defensive one and making some good quick plays with it to move it to a teammate, etc, but he can't do that anymore and hasn't for a long time.

Girardi had some good years but probably was never as good as his usage would indicate. His job was basically 'go out there and play against the other teams top players in your own end all the time". He used to be better with the puck but it's been a horror show for years now.

I'm excited at the prospect of McDonagh having a real partner now though

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Matt Zerella posted:

let me erase that grain of salt for you

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/874859057999478785

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

seems legit

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Like I said, he's a turd but he's also broken Trades before.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
https://instagram.com/p/BVVGTQQgc85/

Daw :(

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
If I make up 50 rumors based on insider speculation and one of them comes true then I can also claim to have "called trades"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh yeah I don't think the Rangers will be in on Kovy but just a feeling. Unless they really pull some big stuff this offseason and restructure their team in a way that they're convinced they can make a cup run

Kovy would be great for a cup run but pointless otherwise (unless you're ready to trade him at the deadline)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How much do the devils really have to give up, aside from the pick? Palmieri, Schneider, Henrique, Zajac, Severson, Blackwood?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

And we're losing Klein who Zucc is hugging in my avatar.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Stepan for Brodin, maybe? That way Minny doesn't have to give Brodin up for nothing in the Exp. draft?

brodin's a lefty. i like him but he doesn't really fill a need. rangers would be asking for spurgeon or dumba

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I sure wonder what the shittiest deal for Galchenyuk that loving moron Bergevin is gonna accept

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Have some parade pictures

Just in case anyone wonders what Colby Armstrong is up to

Maatta and Hagelin were definitely the guys having the most fun/probably drinking the most

Murray is really awkward. At least he's a good goalie.

I am going to miss this man so much.

SAS favorites Kessel and Guentzel

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

If I make up 50 rumors based on insider speculation and one of them comes true then I can also claim to have "called trades"

That was Dwayne Klessel Eklund's brilliant idea. Read sports news religiously and see who's out of favour, then claim sources have linked them to whatever popular team you like. If you post stuff constantly, you'll eventually be right and then you harp on and on about the few times you fluked into a correct answer.

It's pretty much a standard across sports twitter these days, but there was a time that Eklund was pretty novel in that regard and developed a cult following as a result. You see tons of imitators now, and people latch onto them because it's fun to speculate and it fills a niche in the 24/7 non stop news cycle sports has evolved into.

Someone calculated once that he was probably less correct than a computer randomly generating player names, but that doesn't stop him profiting off it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ginette Reno posted:

My favorite thing is the two dads instructing their kids in the fine art of being future rear end in a top hat Yankee fans.

Closer runner-up is the fat dude repeatedly saying gently caress you.

yeah the fat dude makes it for me.

Adios, Girardi. Feel bad for him, but it had been time for at least 2 years now

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mind_Taker posted:

Buyouts are nice but I really want to see some big trades happening soon.

quote:

Portzline: There are plenty of indications that Kekalainen is going big-name hunting, but none more clear that his words. That’s what he’s looking to do. These Blue Jackets are elite in goal (regular-season, anyway) and they have the making of an elite blue line. But up front they have to work so hard to score goals. A high-end guy could be a difference-maker.

quote:

They want to add that five-star player. Again, it’s very hard to acquire. Kovalchuk is a name they’ve investigated. Duchene must me considered. Don’t know who all the Avs are looking to unload, but they have some talent to move. Is Tavares available? If so, that’s a phone call they’d surely make. More than just cap room, the Blue Jackets have young assets (players) to move, too. They are positioned to make a trade of this stature.

I'll have one John Tavares, please.

e- Apparently Fartsmell was told he will not be on the team next year, so look for a trade/buyout there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

brodin's a lefty. i like him but he doesn't really fill a need. rangers would be asking for spurgeon or dumba

Does he play right D though? can't remember

If they could now move Staal somehow...

I don't even know what they'd do with the D but even if they went nuts and did something like

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Graves-Bereglazov

It'd be better than last year even with two rookies on the 3rd pairing!

• Locked thread