Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i bet if trump looked in the mirror of erised, all he would see is himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the trump tutelage posted:

i bet if trump looked in the mirror of erised, all he would see is himself

nah, he'd see his dad telling him he loves him and giving him a hug or something like that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What I don't get is, I liked Harry Potter, the books were okay when I was a kid. But these people are college educated do they literally have no other points of reference? Like we've all done the US is Weimar Germany thing. Though I've been very fond of comparing politics and especially US politics to fin de siècle Europe.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/RBraceySherman/status/875023845173972992

This whole thread is amazing, she goes on and on and on

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/875036368677859328

Get ready for some poo poo takes everybody!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Good, situations like these make people show their true allegiances.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

OWLS! posted:

Posting here to mock the DemSoc ~operatives~ at my work unironically discussing the political ~meaning~ of Harry Potter during lunch.

Yeah I am hagrid said monarchistly

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

But these people are college educated do they literally have no other points of reference?
apparently not, pop culture analogies are strictly limited to harry potter among a select group of dipshits

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

apparently not, pop culture analogies are strictly limited to harry potter among a select group of dipshits

It's utter madness to me. Like I know some people who were in a very bad spot in high school and w/o day they're only alive now thanks to those books. But not even they compare everything to these book to what it going on in their lives.

It's okay to make a reference to it but at least show you can compare these events, but these people can't seem to get that real life doesn't work the way it does in their fantasy novel for children does

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i love a good pop culture reference as much as the next guy, and it can be funny to say that something in the news is like this one moment in a book or tv show or what have you. but i'm not going out there and using, say, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as my bible, which is what these potterheads constantly do

speaking of turning your back on God, san francisco needs to be turned into a pillar of salt

https://twitter.com/rrhoover/status/875009877625544704

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wait is 72f considered hot?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wait is 72f considered hot?
to san francisco tech weenies, apparently it is. here in NYC it's in the upper 70s and there's a nice breeze, and i consider that to be perfect weather

if you want hot, you should have been in NYC over the previous three days, when it was over 90 degrees and around 200% humidity

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

speaking of turning your back on God, san francisco needs to be turned into a pillar of salt

The gently caress does this even mean?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

to san francisco tech weenies, apparently it is. here in NYC it's in the upper 70s and there's a nice breeze, and i consider that to be perfect weather

if you want hot, you should have been in NYC over the previous three days, when it was over 90 degrees and around 200% humidity

Oh, loving weirdos. The last few days here were awful and I had to work outside in it. Glad the heat here finally broke

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

i love a good pop culture reference as much as the next guy, and it can be funny to say that something in the news is like this one moment in a book or tv show or what have you. but i'm not going out there and using, say, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as my bible, which is what these potterheads constantly do

I work for a god drat open source company and I want to give this weenie a wedgey. You don't need a buddy for 74 loving degrees you pasty spaz!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's not a joke about how it's always 72 in San Fran?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's not a joke about how it's always 72 in San Fran?

Poe's Law

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Wait, I'm reading that twitter thing now...did the dude actually send her something or just have the Pepe meme as his bluetooth picture?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BexGu posted:

Wait, I'm reading that twitter thing now...did the dude actually send her something or just have the Pepe meme as his bluetooth picture?

Macs have this weird thing called Airdrop where they can pick up other Macs with their bluetooth on and transfer them files, so I guess he sits in an airport and sends people the frog picture over Airdrop. Really low-tier trolling.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Macs have this weird thing called Airdrop where they can pick up other Macs with their bluetooth on and transfer them files, so I guess he sits in an airport and sends people the frog picture over Airdrop. Really low-tier trolling.

terrorism*

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It's a hate symbol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's a hate symbol

It feels like calling a cartoon frog a hate symbol kind of degrades every other hate symbol and the struggles of the communities they were used against, which I guess was the entire point of adopting a cartoon frog as a hate symbol. But yeah, gently caress that guy for being an rear end in a top hat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zen death robot posted:

which YOSPOS poster is this guy?
you're the admin, you should have that info handy

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

an actual dog posted:

https://twitter.com/RBraceySherman/status/875023845173972992

This whole thread is amazing, she goes on and on and on

And then they hosed?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

as long as i can shoot characters at least one shade darker than my lily-white skin in muh videogames i'll be happy

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Did I miss the boat on when pepe became a nazi symbol? wtf

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Control Volume posted:

have you been off the internet completely for the last year or so?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im learning the rich history of "pepe" and "kek" and how the original author killed off the character in a symbolic gesture and now a cartoon frog is the swastika. im loving done with the internet today

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

have you been off the internet completely for the last year or so?

I just learned about mocking spongebob last week

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so is "lulz" now up for grabs since it's been abandoned for "kek" by the 4chan chuds?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

so is "lulz" now up for grabs since it's been abandoned for "kek" by the 4chan chuds?

Kekeke is older than lulz so its more they are embracing cultural appropriation by stealing from the koreans

Also pepe would never have been the symbol of the alt-right if the ADL and the Hillary campaign didn't have a meltdown about deplorables. There have been racist pepe memes as long as there have been pepe memes. Its like saying the sprite of the man at arms from age of empires is a racist meme because sometimes it gets used in DEUS VULT neo-crusade idiocy.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kek comes from WoW, actually. The two sides in the game have their language filtered if they try to talk to each other, and lol is filtered to kek.

I'd take the whole "frog meme is racist" thing with a grain of salt, since some of the other things that have been called racist over the past year have included:

-flashing the peace sign with both hands
-drinking a glass of milk

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Furthermore,

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Kek comes from WoW, actually. The two sides in the game have their language filtered if they try to talk to each other, and lol is filtered to kek.

I'd take the whole "frog meme is racist" thing with a grain of salt, since some of the other things that have been called racist over the past year have included:

kek is from Starcraft as the earliest that I know. in the 90's if you played on bnet late at night you'd encounter Koreans during your matchup. because of non unified characters of the Korean language only a few letters would show up as anything but squares. k and e were a few of them. also poo poo like ^_^ -_- etc

heu, and numbers like 88 for "good game"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

kek is from Starcraft as the earliest that I know. in the 90's if you played on bnet late at night you'd encounter Koreans during your matchup. because of non unified characters of the Korean language only a few letters would show up as anything but squares. k and e were a few of them. also poo poo like ^_^ -_- etc

heu, and numbers like 88 for "good game"

on9 instead of gently caress you retard

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Control Volume posted:

the hillary campaign made it a thing when she was pushing the basket of deplorables line
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
in defense of the frog meme,

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i thought that "kek" was a brazilian spin on "lol," not korean

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

-doing the "ok" symbol with your hand (thumb and forefinger making an "o" and the other three fingers held up)

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

i thought that "kek" was a brazilian spin on "lol," not korean

-doing the "ok" symbol with your hand (thumb and forefinger making an "o" and the other three fingers held up)

kekekekekekeke is the Japanese and Korean onomatopoeia interpretation of the sound of laughing

- Anything to do with Harambe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

:discourse:

• Locked thread