Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Staying as Dragoon for the main story quest, with plans to level one class or the other that will inevitably fall through and not happen because of laziness or inertia.

my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

A Spider Covets posted:

Wow nice glam! I really like the Thavnairian look.

Thank you! It's a mix of the Doman fending gear for Centurio Seals (sword, shield and boots), the Eastern Journey chest and hands from the Amazon promotion and the Thav turban, obv.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A Spider Covets posted:

AST is fun, I think you'll wind up surprised. I feel like it has less potency than my SCH so far, but I don't have AST at max level yet. It trades in those fun buffs for lost potency if that's still the case at 60, though.

At 54 you get malefic II which has 200 potency to broil's 170 but SCH gets more dots and has an easier time just staying in cleric stance at the lower levels so it evens out a bit.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gonna level scholar first and race changed to catgirl because the ONE lalafell animation that sucks had to be /spectacles and there's only one way this log horizon chain stratagem cosplay works.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/875040871468617728

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/875041115686264832

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/875041226025648128

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/875041316085710849

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

A Spider Covets posted:

Oh, were you the one that was asking about healing classes in PBC just now?

AST is fun, I think you'll wind up surprised. I feel like it has less potency than my SCH so far, but I don't have AST at max level yet. It trades in those fun buffs for lost potency if that's still the case at 60, though.

No, I'm at work ostensibly working. I've been maining AST for months and I love it to death, you just look dorky and unthreatening in cut scenes.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I guess that no one really knows what the 4.0 patch will do to the post 3.0 patch MS in terms of requirements and/or item rewards.

I can live with taking a few more days to meet requirements. I just wanted to know if it would be worth it to wait a couple of days.

Well, it turns out the requirements don't matter if you get a full light party. We can try some today.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weird, the forums ate my post.

Speaking of ASTs looking like dorks in cut-scenes: As a BLM I'm always bugged by the cut-scenes where I could very easily intervene/solve the problem with some magic, but because the WoL could be some putz with just a sword, I don't get to.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

In other news, water wet.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Oxyclean posted:

Weird, the forums ate my post.

Speaking of ASTs looking like dorks in cut-scenes: As a BLM I'm always bugged by the cut-scenes where I could very easily intervene/solve the problem with some magic, but because the WoL could be some putz with just a sword, I don't get to.

During the ARR allied beast tribe quests, someone says (paraphrased) "she needs a healer badly", and I just imagined my SCH staring at them mildly dumbfounded.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg Crewe
"im the best"

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

In other news, water wet.

When the Gold Saucer event kicked off in the middle of the day I saw 912 people in queue in front of me on Balmung.

Yeah I have an alt on cactaur now

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mr. Nice! posted:

No they didn't. We took a friend's alt through every HW dungeon at sub i180 because we had 4 people. It even says so on the DF window down near role/ilevel restrictions.

You cannot run HW content with "Undersized Party" as an option, but you can absolutely queue for any content in the game regardless of ilevel with a full group.

edit:

Huh. I guess I was wrong. I could've sworn I ran into content in premades that wouldn't let us in because someone wasn't high enough ilevel but I'm probably just misremembering.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

During the ARR allied beast tribe quests, someone says (paraphrased) "she needs a healer badly", and I just imagined my SCH staring at them mildly dumbfounded.

"Yeah but I can't have Eos out in cutscenes so you're in trouble"

TheShadowAvatar posted:

When the Gold Saucer event kicked off in the middle of the day I saw 912 people in queue in front of me on Balmung.

Yeah I have an alt on cactaur now

I'm probably going to just get up early and try to get in before the rush, since a lot of people probably won't be able to get friday off (or won't because server troubles). If I don't, I'm going back to bed until like midmorning before I even bother trying again. The curse of playing on a server with such a huge economy is having people demand server spots to pretend gently caress in the quicksand.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah there's some bit of the MSQ that I went through last night thinking "Or I could just Cure II him for you. No? You say you want him want to see a chirugeon instead? :condi: then gently caress it."

I also got poisoned and refused to Esauna myself or Stone3 the chick that did it vOv

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 14, 2017

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Have any other mmos given players bonuses to encourage going to lower population servers? Usually it's just free transfers to new ones

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm always amused by the "Send them to the doctors immediately!" when this is a world where people are running around with healing magic all the time. Hell, even my summoner can do some healing.

Watching the SAM and RDM MrHappy videos again, I think I will go full weeb and go SAM on Friday.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 14, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I never really used services to change servers in other mmos but I was also under the impression that a lot of them don't give more than free transfers because they also don't impose as many restrictions as FFXIV.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My guild is primarily EU and they are jumping to the new EU server when it opens. I do want to go with them since they are awesome people but I do worry about my ping, what with me being in NA.

I just remembered that I used to use WTFast and that worked out well back when I was on a slightly worse connection, so I am hoping that would help at least.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Ohtsam posted:

Have any other mmos given players bonuses to encourage going to lower population servers? Usually it's just free transfers to new ones

WoW tried that and it failed miserably. But they were just the free transfers as you said. I'm curious if these additional bonuses will draw people away from Balmung. Of course I also hope that they consider doing something like it for Maetus or the other server that still has housing open on it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking over the new abilities et al, it feels like Red Mage has way fewer buttons than other jobs. Even Samurai has a good pile of them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm always amused by the "Send them to the doctors immediately!" when this is a world where people are running around with healing magic all the time. Hell, even my summoner can do some healing.

Watching the SAM and RDM MrHappy videos again, I think I will go full weeb and go SAM on Friday.

HP is an abstraction, in combat healing magic is not necessarily literally regrowing damaged tissue but restoring your strength or concentration for dodging or whatever. Remember you and major NPC opponents are KO'd not killed.

Regardless, if the plot demands someone die, at least have those capable of healing magic try and use some.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hobbesmaster posted:

HP is an abstraction, in combat healing magic is not necessarily literally regrowing damaged tissue but restoring your strength or concentration for dodging or whatever. Remember you and major NPC opponents are KO'd not killed.

Regardless, if the plot demands someone die, at least have those capable of healing magic try and use some.

Yeah, but there's part of the AST questline where you're casting aspected benefic on soldiers and they comment on seeing their wounds knit back together.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looking over the new abilities et al, it feels like Red Mage has way fewer buttons than other jobs. Even Samurai has a good pile of them.

Compared to Samurai they have one fewer button (they learn the same amount but one is Jolt which is replaced by Jolt II), 23 to 24, though Samurai do have two "freebies" with how their Iaijutsu works... but RDM kinda does too since I didn't include the Enhanced melee attacks so whatever. I'm too lazy to compare them to the existing classes because I don't want to find what skills are gone and which remain, but I doubt it's enough to make RDM have "way fewer".

That all said RDM's bigger Thing is that half of their rotation's attacks are exactly the same as the other half so even with the same number of buttons it might feel sorta samey.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fancy hats, a cool sword, Flare and Holy. It's like they made a class just for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I only had one real goal on a deadline before the expansion hit and I failed. Idk why the squadron thing goes berserk for the two rank-up missions, but apparently being 3 off in one of the stats is enough to fail forever. Guess I'll be putting it back on the shelf then.

I'm feeling like I'm gonna get some sweet alternate dialogue for playing through as a NIN, so I'm gonna do that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I only had one real goal on a deadline before the expansion hit and I failed. Idk why the squadron thing goes berserk for the two rank-up missions, but apparently being 3 off in one of the stats is enough to fail forever. Guess I'll be putting it back on the shelf then.

I'm feeling like I'm gonna get some sweet alternate dialogue for playing through as a NIN, so I'm gonna do that.

the squadron rankups will never succeed if you're under a stat.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

It's like they made a class just for me.

I dont think we have enough evidence to say Red Mage is garbage this early

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"Yeah but I can't have Eos out in cutscenes so you're in trouble"

I'm probably going to just get up early and try to get in before the rush, since a lot of people probably won't be able to get friday off (or won't because server troubles). If I don't, I'm going back to bed until like midmorning before I even bother trying again. The curse of playing on a server with such a huge economy is having people demand server spots to pretend gently caress in the quicksand.

Seriously. I like being on Balmung but I'm not excited to fight for a spot in line when Stormblood comes out. I'd also like to find a nice static group on it I guess.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the squadron rankups will never succeed if you're under a stat.

It's this. The Squadron Rank Up missions don't have the normal leeway you get with stat requirements. You need a full green board to get them done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Excuse me, sprouts will spoke when spoken to.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I get the impression that people running around with healing magic isn't super common, since players are usually relegated to generic mercs or w/e. But the again, there is the conjurer's guild.

What's the deal with Jobs from a lore standpoint? From the handful of jobs I've done the context in which you get the job stone seems like they're mostly "chosen one" sorts of thing where the WoL is the only person beyond a few NPCs to get to be the job. On the other hand you have machinists which just seem like people with guns.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

Actually I've counted all their available flamethrowers and I'm sad to say they're at 0.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Seriously. I like being on Balmung but I'm not excited to fight for a spot in line when Stormblood comes out. I'd also like to find a nice static group on it I guess.

just hit cancel and login again when the queue window pops up. Lets you skip to the front of the line. Unless that doesn't actually work when there is a long queue?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

What's the deal with Jobs from a lore standpoint? From the handful of jobs I've done the context in which you get the job stone seems like they're mostly "chosen one" sorts of thing where the WoL is the only person beyond a few NPCs to get to be the job. On the other hand you have machinists which just seem like people with guns.

Machinist is literally the exception because it's a brand new discipline without an established lineage of experience that your job stone draws from. What's cool is that the game description for that job stone is specifically different from all the others to account for this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

I get the impression that people running around with healing magic isn't super common, since players are usually relegated to generic mercs or w/e. But the again, there is the conjurer's guild.

"Jobs" in general don't have a unified "there can be only one" method, but most are quite rare yeah. Like there's a grip of Paladins but they aren't exactly common, and there's an entire tribe of Warriors (and presumably some more scattered around). I haven't done the Machinist questline to know about that specific example though.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Eopia posted:

Huh. I guess I was wrong. I could've sworn I ran into content in premades that wouldn't let us in because someone wasn't high enough ilevel but I'm probably just misremembering.

If you queued up for 24 man it won't work, because you are not considered the full party, that might be what you are remembering.

Gally fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 14, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think most healing in the game does a combination of restoring stamina and repairing superficial or non-debilitating injury, and if you get lungshot or something you actually need bed rest and intensive care. That intensive care is probably magical and the WoL could probably handle it themselves if they're a level 60 white mage, but they've generally got more pressing things to do.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Oxyclean posted:

Classes seem to be pretty common. There are whole guilds for them(except DRK), and they have plenty of representation. Jobs requiring crystals seem a lot more rare. The crystals are rare and seem to be the only way to learn how to use that jobs abilities. Except NIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Countblanc posted:

"Jobs" in general don't have a unified "there can be only one" method, but most are quite rare yeah. Like there's a grip of Paladins but they aren't exactly common, and there's an entire tribe of Warriors (and presumably some more scattered around). I haven't done the Machinist questline to know about that specific example though.

The Dragoon is explicitly meant to be limited to 1, until you become the second.

But that's only because the Dragoon character is also the Azure Dragoon. There's other regular Dragoons.

• Locked thread