Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

The iPod phone was losing support. The executives debated which project to pursue, but Phil Schiller, Apple’s head of marketing, had an answer: Neither. He wanted a keyboard with hard buttons. The BlackBerry was arguably the first hit smartphone. It had an email client and a tiny hard keyboard. After everyone else, including Fadell, started to agree that multitouch was the way forward, Schiller became the lone holdout.

He “just sat there with his sword out every time, going, ‘No, we’ve got to have a hard keyboard. No. Hard keyboard.’ And he wouldn’t listen to reason as all of us were like, ‘No, this works now, Phil.’ And he’d say, ‘You gotta have a hard keyboard!’” Fadell says.
ya gotta have a hard keyboard jerry! you just gotta! gotta have it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

holy poo poo the lomarf car is real

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

lol the ipad surface 2

i wonder if samsung or microsoft advertised punching yourself in the balls how quickly tim would wind up in the hospital

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

im starting to think Phil Schiller is an idiot of sorts

he's did the courage speech, the "can't innovate my rear end" where three years later turned out they didn't innovate anything and in fact almost ruined the pro market

now this...

to be fair I also really liked my blackberry keyboard, but I am a proven idiot so

pram
Jun 10, 2001
starting to think? lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

to be fair I also really liked my blackberry keyboard, but I am a proven idiot so

lots of people did, you can count them to the man looking at bby's sales the last five years. because they sure as gently caress weren't buying a blackberry for anything else

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/iFixit/status/874785166635311104

the "pro" is for "probably should have gotten a surface"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ufarn posted:

the newest surface has 21ms latency

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lmao i love john fireball's insatiable need to explain away every little thing apple does

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im the sharp eyed child

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tony denies the keyboard story

https://twitter.com/tfadell/status/874898665734844420

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Reminder that "Inside Apple" books often use outrageous, untrue claims to try increasing sales, and that a lot of former employees will have axes to grind against remaining employees and management.

The author of one those Apple Is Doomed books tweeted something like, "Wow, what an underwhelming WWDC keynote! Buy my book to find out why!" after one year's WWDC keynote, except that it was a great keynote. And then someone discovered that she had used a time-delay tweeting service. In other words, she had written that tweet before the keynote, with the service set to post it after it was over.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 14, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i thought not having a physical keyboard was real stupid when the iphone came out too

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

ufarn posted:

Idgi. Is there something wrong with these Pros? My 2015 12.9 isn't this janky. Or wait, is it that you have to look at it at 240fps to see the 20ms latency, which is something literally nobody but nit picky autists would care about?

I don't really know anything about computers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Idgi. Is there something wrong with these Pros? My 2015 12.9 isn't this janky. Or wait, is it that you have to look at it at 240fps to see the 20ms latency, which is something literally nobody but nit picky autists would care about?

yeah, surprisingly when you slow a video to 1/8 or 1/4 of real speed it looks slow and laggy!!!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

8ms latency killed rhythm games. All monitor display techonlogy sucks. Bring back CRT. Make CRT tablets.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you misspelled "artists"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

8ms latency killed rhythm games. All monitor display techonlogy sucks. Bring back CRT. Make CRT tablets.

rhythm games are 99.5% memorization, lag would only matter the first time you did a song

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, surprisingly when you slow a video to 1/8 or 1/4 of real speed it looks slow and laggy!!!

GameCube posted:

you misspelled "artists"

Oh, alright.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Perplx posted:

the 4 was feature complete (minus 3d touch), all iphones since are just spec bumps

in 100 years the iphone 4 will be the model T of phones

touchid my friend

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

touchid my friend

that gets you unlocked faster but doesn't change the fundamentals of using a smartphone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

that gets you unlocked faster but doesn't change the fundamentals of using a smartphone

having a secure phone by default changes the smartphone significantly. most people didn't have passwords before Touch ID.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

remember samsung's first attempt to copy touch id and it turned out it was storing unencrypted jpegs of your fingerprint on the phone :laugh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perplx posted:

"something that changes and improves the fundamental way that one starts using the phone doesn't change the fundamentals of using a smart phone"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THC posted:

remember samsung's first attempt to copy touch id and it turned out it was storing unencrypted jpegs of your fingerprint on the phone :laugh:

that was htc

though i suppose samsung might have also

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Endless Mike posted:

that was htc

though i suppose samsung might have also

Samsung did the same but with irises

you could just print one and the phone would unlock

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Samsung also did that hilarious Knox software which had a password vault and the whole thing was encrypted with some trivial default key that was sitting in the app's metadata

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Dislike button posted:

i thought not having a physical keyboard was real stupid when the iphone came out too

i still think that iphones are worse at most of the things i used phones for before getting an iphone; it just doesn't matter because it turns out that the phone is pretty much the least important part of the iphone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

i still think that iphones are worse at most of the things i used phones for before getting an iphone; it just doesn't matter because it turns out that the phone is pretty much the least important part of the iphone.

what?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

battery life, signal, and in some cases ease of use are worse compared to a flip phone or whatever (never mind that other smartphones existed and were terrible at ABSOLUTELY everything instead of just some things) but for most people those drawbacks don't matter when you have a computer in your pocket

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
a pre-iphone bb was vastly better than a modern iphone at making and receiving phone calls and texting people, between a better keyboard, better battery life, better reception, and a more focused interface, so i think the criticisms of the iphone that looked at it as a bb replacement were right in a way. it's just that it doesn't matter because an iphone is actually a pocket computer that happens to be able to make phone calls.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Samsung also did that hilarious Knox software which had a password vault and the whole thing was encrypted with some trivial default key that was sitting in the app's metadata

I just got a recruiter email from that team so I guess they're still digging on that one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i see samsung knox ads in the metro targeted to dod acquisition types all the time. they're never gonna stop

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's important to remember that at the time the iphone came out blackberry, nokia series 60 and windows mobile were locked in a titanic struggle for market dominance and the sidekick was a niche device for weird nerds and "urbans," the idea of a general purpose wireless internet device was relegated to niche devices like the nokia 770 or weird psions and zauri

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its not ridiculous to think that a kickass qwerty hard keyboard was a critical requirement for a successful smartphone in 2005, particularly before the multitouch team was able to demonstrate a fully working prototype

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the physical keyboard/trackball paradigm is still complete poo poo even in the best implementation because of the inherent drawbacks to the form factor and Steve was right to reject it and everyone else was too cowardly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ufarn posted:

:cawg:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I sat through a 7 hour training session yesterday where the presenter used a mouse and keyboard with mspaint (not the new 3dpaint version which it was telling him to use in the upper corner) to whiteboard network diagrams on a new surface pro by cut and paste I was living in that one loving achewood strip and the surface is a failed platform

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a 7 hour training session
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

a pre-iphone bb was vastly better than a modern iphone at making and receiving phone calls and texting people, between a better keyboard, better battery life, better reception, and a more focused interface, so i think the criticisms of the iphone that looked at it as a bb replacement were right in a way. it's just that it doesn't matter because an iphone is actually a pocket computer that happens to be able to make phone calls.

wrong

• Locked thread