Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

paranoid randroid posted:

Goatstein finally snapped

:rip: we'll never see the steampunk wedding photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mark Ames hosed children.

my condolences

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ex post facho posted:

just to reiterate, the first fbi investo was due to a fyad post, since this gets conflsted with lf a lot

wasn't the thread OPd by maggotmaster, LF's Stalin-level cult of personality?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mark Ames hosed children.

Mark Ames is extremely loving weird to me. he does interviews talking about the long tradition of American conservative entanglement with Russian oligarchic interests, and then the next day goes on twitter to bitch about how this Russia thing is a big nothingburger

hes got some kind of advanced form of Greenwaldism, is my theory

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait what happened about a shooting?

someone shot a racist senator. he was a democrat. that makes him the most evil person in the world and dems a hateful party (ignores all the violent repubs we've had)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mark Ames is extremely loving weird to me. he does interviews talking about the long tradition of American conservative entanglement with Russian oligarchic interests, and then the next day goes on twitter to bitch about how this Russia thing is a big nothingburger

It's because the Russia hacking story and the corruption ties are two completely different things.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

What a disgustingly stupid piece of poo poo.

it's weird, before the primary reid was a fairly anodyne liberal but bernie really broke something in her brain

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's because the Russia hacking story and the corruption ties are two completely different things.

he doesnt make much of a distinction between the two, from what ive seen

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hey guys what's going in in this thread?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Condiv posted:

someone shot a racist senator. he was a democrat. that makes him the most evil person in the world and dems a hateful party (ignores all the violent repubs we've had)

also if news reports are accurate he may be killed off by the very healthcare system he wants destroyed lol

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Radio War Nerd is a good podcast and most of the Democrats pretending like Russia and the GOP are committing "acts of war" should not be surprised when someone believes them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Casual Encountess posted:

radicalizing the next JTH itt

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

we're discussing how a man who injured people is very bad and evil, but a man who votes to kill and injure people on the regular is an innocent victim of violence

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shooting the poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

he doesnt make much of a distinction between the two, from what ive seen

Well on the one hand you have the regular incestuous ties between global capital, and on the other you have a claim that the Kremlin runs the White House.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

brains fried by krokodil & piss tapes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NewForumSoftware posted:

War Nerd is a good

No.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jazerus posted:

brains fried by krokodil & piss tapes

And STDs from Russian child prostitutes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/MacMargi/status/875065076281114624

every time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder what the ratio is of shootings that someone with a job in politics or media tried to blame Bernie Sanders for to total shootings that have occurred since 2015

over 60 million killed by Bernie Sanders' invention, the gun

oh hey "urban" as a dogwhistle, that's fun

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Radio War Nerd is good and if you don't like it that just proves my point

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

counterpoint: steve scalise is a representative

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

he he he he he he he

someday white people will realize that other white people are more dangerous to them then the browns

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

on the other hand, sanders' abandonment of marxism-leninism emboldens such individualist terror

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

counterpoint: steve scalise is a representative

so was giffords. for some reason repubs didn't take the blame for that although they literally used violent rhetoric wrt her

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SwedishLioness/status/875070074272526337

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

I mean, I think single payer is great. If we could pass it tomorrow I'd be over the moon. I just think other countries have implemented alternate paths to true UHC and I'm not going to dismiss those as neoliberal plots, especially if they might be easier to achieve in a political sense. I think $15/h minimum wage is great but it's too low for some areas and - having grown up in one of the most impoverished areas of the country - I worry it might have negative effects in parts of the country that have median wages lower than that. I think free college tuition is great and we should absolutely do it, but I also think our college system inherently disadvantages the poor and we should look at overhauling the whole thing to fast track people who want to be fast tracked directly into skilled labor careers. In general, I think I'm to the left of Clinton but not I'm not strictly with the left of the party. I think I largely share the same values and goals with the left.

I think that in many cases what bothers people (and I don't think you're that bad in this regard, especially compared with most) is that they express these views solely as opposition to whatever leftists are saying. Like, I think there's a difference between responding to someone talking about single payer with "well I think single payer won't work because X, Y, and Z" and responding with "I think there are alternative forms of universal healthcare that might be better, because X, Y and Z." The latter at least makes it clear that you realize there's a problem and that fixing it is important. With regard to the college thing, it's better to say something like "I think free public college is a good idea, but it's also important we do X, because not everyone goes to college", because if you just say "But what about people who don't go to college?" it comes off as just being contrarian and trying to deflect.

Again, you're usually pretty good about this. But I think this general unhelpful attitude of just being contrarian towards anything people on the left offer is a large cause of negative sentiment among leftists towards liberals in discussions like this (and I think that in most cases the leftists are entirely correct when they assume liberals aren't really serious about addressing these problems).

Oh, and as a side note I wanted to ask about this point: "I think $15/h minimum wage is great but it's too low for some areas and - having grown up in one of the most impoverished areas of the country - I worry it might have negative effects in parts of the country that have median wages lower than that."

Is your concern that poor areas with high levels of unemployment will suffer due to increased costs caused by increasing minimum wage? Otherwise I'm not really sure how any possible negative effects would ever offset the direct positive impact of the increased wages.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yeah it's called nuance.

When "I like X but have you considered problems Y and Z?" becomes a common pattern in discussions, people begin to doubt the person's sincerity towards addressing those problems (because they focus the vast majority of their effort on just nay-saying other peoples' attempts at proposing solutions). In many cases these points may even be correct, but it ultimately comes off as disingenuous when someone claims to care about an issue but puts more effort towards shooting down possible solutions than proposing their own.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jun 14, 2017

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Was the DSA thread closed because of their newfound ties to terrorism?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zegermans posted:

also if news reports are accurate he may be killed off by the very healthcare system he wants destroyed lol

wait i thought he got shot in the hip? is he actually close to dying

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

There's a lot of poo poo all over your body you don't want torn up by a bullet.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is there any rear end arteries

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there was an AP tweet that said he was critical post-surgery. The hip has a lot of blood that can cause all sorts of fun strokes and embolisms.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FRACTURED rear end

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

James T Hodgkinson was taking college classes between writing letters to the editor.

One of his courses had a professor that was a David Duke fan and a fiscal conservative. One day the professor shocked everyone by walking into class, looking up and stating "I want you to knock 23 million people off of their health coverage."

Several minutes tick by in silence. James T Hodgkinson gets up from his seat, approaches the professor and punched him in the face knocking him off the platform and out cold. James T Hodgkinson simply went back to his seat.

The professor came to, visibly shaken and asked James T Hodgkinson, "What the heck did you do that for?!"

James T Hodgkinson said, "Bernie would have won. I'm gonna shoot you next time bijch."

And everyone started clapping.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

hes in critical condition

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Was the DSA thread closed because of their newfound ties to terrorism?
:confused:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah why was the DSA thread closed it served as a nice blowoff of frustrated angry internet people thinking they were doing anything important

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

img-50-person-DSA-meeting-in-liberal-city-of-8-million

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Raskolnikov38 posted:

right on the inside of your thighs are your femoral arteries. lots of important tubes hangin out in those ample hips goin to all sorts of important places

not to mention bone fragments shooting into everything from impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
what was the original "we'll watch the skies"

• Locked thread