Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The bizarre idea that Peter Parker should have secret agent corporate espionage parents still baffles me. IIRC they brought back his parents in ASM 400 and it was for a weak sauce story that was quickly forgotten. There was no indication that anyone gave a poo poo about that idea, no great arc from the comics that was still discussed, nothing. They just invented a franchise element out of whole cloth and shoved it into the movie and IMO it was massively detrimental and you can feel the energy just drain out of the screen whenever it's happening.

It was so stupid. Why does Ben Parker need to be James Bond? Most of what makes Spidey cool is that Peter Parker is a put-upon loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Logan was good

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Basically, I want Spider-Man 3 Venon Suit attitude about the idea his parents were super spies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Logan was good

I still haven't seen it. Actually, I haven't been to the theater once this year because I'm so goddamn broke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You haven't missed much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Spiderman needs to have working class problems and social issues that spider-reflexes can't help him with. That's the aspect that makes him compelling and interesting. It puts a human layer on a very inhuman idea, a near-faceless insectoid man. In fact I would say that most of the decisions made about Spiderman - the jokes, the problems, the thought bubbles full of pathos popping out of his noggin while he contorts himself like a freaky puppet - serve to humanize the fundamentally inhuman aspects of the character.

Unlike some people I didn't really care about skateboarding Peter or organic webshooters. Times change, there are no wallflowers anymore, and how Spiderman makes his webs isn't important. How he relates to the world and his place in it - that is important.Taking Spiderman from a working class young man with a lovely unreasonable boss, economic struggles, and social pressures and transforming him into the protege of an arrogant rich rear end in a top hat is a more fundamental change to the character than anything Snyder did to Superman IMO.

Edit: as usual Hundu does the heavy lifting I do in about 1/10th the words.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was so stupid. Why does Ben Parker need to be James Bond? Most of what makes Spidey cool is that Peter Parker is a put-upon loser.

Sony were also going to do an Aunt May spinoff/prequel where she was some sort of spy back when she was younger. They're weirdly obsessed with cramming a spy story into the franchise somehow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hollywood is out of touch with the working class? I'm loving shocked!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I thought you were talking about Spider-Man.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sony were also going to do an Aunt May spinoff/prequel where she was some sort of spy back when she was younger. They're weirdly obsessed with cramming a spy story into the franchise somehow.

They're probably going to lose the Bond rights so they're desperately trying to turn anything into a franchise.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

It's beyond that. It's like they're being erased.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

They're probably going to lose the Bond rights so they're desperately trying to turn anything into a franchise.

There's so many reboots and sequels to old old films in their future releases list, it's pretty sad. Jumanji reboot! Bad Boys 3 and 4! Charlie's Angels reboot! Masters of the Universe reboot! Flatliners .... uh, sequel? Soft reboot?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's so many reboots and sequels to old old films in their future releases list, it's pretty sad. Jumanji reboot! Bad Boys 3 and 4! Charlie's Angels reboot! Masters of the Universe reboot! Flatliners .... uh, sequel? Soft reboot?

They should go full Asylum and secure the rights, get Uma Thurman/Ralph Fiennes/Sean Connery back and make The Avengers: The Infinite Wars

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

It's beyond that. It's like they're being erased.

Betting :10bux: that by the end SM:H, whatever laughably small financial issue the Parkers were facing is taken care of by Sugar Daddy Tony.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Luuke.

Mordiceius posted:

Chris Pratt tired to talk about this, but everyone fell over themselves to call him racist.
Apparently "working class films" are those that star Marky Mark.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

wyoming posted:

Chris Pratt tired to talk about this, but everyone fell over themselves to call him racist.
Apparently "working class films" are those that star Marky Mark.

whats this now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cerepol posted:

whats this now?

https://twitter.com/thetrudz/status...4b00fa7de152734

https://twitter.com/jessicaesquire/...4b00fa7de152734

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

a movie about working class people won best picture this year

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

You haven't missed much.

Logan and Wonder Woman ended up being shining examples of what a comic book movie can be, so I'd say we're doing better than usual for the genre.

Guardians 2 was pretty good.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Attack of the clones.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Logan I get.

Wonder Woman was not good so I don't know why it's being lauded as a shining example. It may be good for what it means and represents but as a movie itself it sucked.

Hulk, MoS, Hancock, Blades I and II are shining examples along with Logan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Multiplicity was Michael Keaton's finest work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jenny Agutter posted:

a movie about working class people won best picture this year

It did indeed, but there was an exotic element to it.

Also I love your name/avatar. Agutter was my first screen crush.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gatts posted:

Logan I get.

Wonder Woman was not good so I don't know why it's being lauded as a shining example. It may be good for what it means and represents but as a movie itself it sucked.

I mean, you can feel that way, but you're in the minority. Not saying you're wrong, I don't really have the time to get into a debate about it. But most people, critics and audience alike, love it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think one thing that's tough to discuss is that Hollywood may still be doing blue-collar heroes, but the WAY they do them has changed.

This is not relevant to what I just said, but I was thinking about horror movies and how they used to take place in pretty normal suburban communities and now all the prominent ones I can think of are all about huge rich guy mansions getting invaded by bad guys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's really no way to handle the Venom suit origin in a way that's not completely stupid but "intergalactic alien costume making machine" is probably the stupidest.

Even Spiderman 3 hosed it up by having a random meteor crash right next to Peter and MJ by sheer happenstance instead of just having Jameson's astronaut son bring it back from space. Seriously, gently caress Spiderman 3.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Multiplicity was Michael Keaton's finest work.

Night Shift my dude.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - whenever someone mentions Night Shift I always think of Night Breed, and I wrack my brain for when Keaton was an ambulance driver in a city full of monsters. :psyduck:

I honestly don't get the extreme love of the wonder woman movie aside from people maybe conflating their excitement for not only the first big comic female superhero movie but also the most iconic.

I thought it was...okay?. Having a naive superhero (who is technically right in a loose sense) who later learns of the evils of mankind was interesting, and Diana showing her confused anger and frustration during the scene in the War Room where the generals are discussing throwing away the lives of their troops was nice, and the first action scene after breaking through No Man's Land was pretty cool, too.

I just think the movie was incredibly hyped up, for solid reasons - much lighter tone, female led comic blockbuster, et cetera -, but that hype flowed over into actual critiques of the movie. It just felt rather shallow overall. I guess that makes a good comic book movie :shrug:

I think one thing that's tough to discuss is that Hollywood may still be doing blue-collar heroes, but the WAY they do them has changed.

This is not relevant to what I just said, but I was thinking about horror movies and how they used to take place in pretty normal suburban communities and now all the prominent ones I can think of are all about huge rich guy mansions getting invaded by bad guys.
A good blue collar hero was Bruce Willis in Unbreakable. And I think we get a lot of the Rich invasions/blame the rich due to an increased economic divide in society. We want to be rich, so we can empathize with the fear of people like ourselves taking stuff from future us, but also we're angry at the rich, so we can empathize with people like us loving over the bad rich people since the rich people are loving us over already. In a simple sense.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drifter posted:

I honestly don't get the extreme love of the wonder woman movie aside from people maybe conflating their excitement for not only the first big comic female superhero movie but also the most iconic.

I thought it was...okay?. Having a naive superhero (who is technically right in a loose sense) who later learns of the evils of mankind was interesting, and Diana showing her confused anger and frustration during the scene in the War Room where the generals are discussing throwing away the lives of their troops was nice, and the first action scene after breaking through No Man's Land was pretty cool, too.

I just think the movie was incredibly hyped up, for solid reasons - much lighter tone, female led comic blockbuster, et cetera -, but that hype flowed over into actual critiques of the movie. It just felt rather shallow overall. I guess that makes a good comic book movie :shrug:

My mental checklist of what I loved about Wonder Woman:
- Gorgeous cinematography. Granted this has been true about most DC movies lately (except Suicide Squad, which looked like garbage), this looks worlds better than any Marvel movie.
- Good performances by the two leads. Diana pulled off naive yet far more capable really well, and Pine didn't seem to mind he was playing second fiddle when he's mostly leading man material.
- Fun, memorable side characters, both in Themyscira and in WWI.
- The No Man's Land scene was exactly my poo poo.
- The Amazon's loving up some Germans on the beach is filled with shots and moments I won't be forgetting for a long time.
- Action that builds off of context (Steve sees the shield move on the beach, knows what to do to help setup Diana to do her thing in the immediate post No Man's Land fight).
- Wonder Woman being a super hero, coming up against death, darkness, and destruction, and needing to stop it, when everyone around her is trying to divert her. I don't need it in my super hero movie, but it's often left behind, so it's nice to see here.
- Turning some comic book movie tropes on their head (Chris Pine gets put in the refrigerator).
- I can count on one hand good WWI movies. It's not nearly as well covered in movies as WWII, and it's a particular interest of mine, so I loved seeing this.
- After seeing Captain America use SUPER NAZIS for some reason, I liked that this movie said, "Eh, gently caress it, Erich Ludendorff is our villain". Even if it opens up some questions for what happens next in this universe.
- I think it managed to be dark when it needed to be and funny when it needed to be. Which can be difficult.
- And yeah, all that "What it means" stuff, but that's separate from what I'm saying here.

Yeah, some of that is comparing to other movies, but, like, isn't that what we always do when we judge a movie?

Only downside is that I think David Thewlis is pretty miscast, but meh, he does alright.

As an aside, I'm stealing this observation from a Facebook friend. I gotta say that one important topic is being overlooked by absolutely everyone: Patty Jenkin's hilarious decision for a certain god to have a certain pedo-riffic mustache since the dawn of time and not just as a period accoutrement. It was an interesting decision but I for one really appreciated it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

I just think the movie was incredibly hyped up, for solid reasons - much lighter tone, female led comic blockbuster, et cetera -, but that hype flowed over into actual critiques of the movie. It just felt rather shallow overall.

quoted my wife here.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

BiggerBoat posted:

There's really no way to handle the Venom suit origin in a way that's not completely stupid

Have you seen the movie Life?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Have you seen the movie Life?

Life being the backdoor twist a la Split to Venom would have been awesome.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Haha did we know Simon Kinberg was directing the next X-Men movie?

I expect it to be as successful as David Goyer's directorial efforts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i vaguely recall it being a thing from ultimate spider-man

Ended in a big cloud of nothing as well b/c Bendis didn't know like everyone else didn't know how to make Peter's parents interesting as well.

The Amazing series of movies are just putrid.

edit: woops, kinda wrong on the ultimate comics stuff, been a while since I read it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 14, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Timby posted:

"Character puts a bunch of random, seemingly unconnected stuff up on a wall and tries to figure out the connection" isn't exactly a sequence pioneered by (500) Days of Summer.

No. By structure I was more so referring to the use of folk rock music soundtracking the sequence where the protagonist is laying on their bed, hits a lightbulb, and starts to sort things out. Some of the shot compositions are nearly the same too. I'm pointing this out because both films are done by the same director.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I wish more would handle them like the Ed Norton Hulk (however you feel about the rest of that movie). A montage over the opening credits of what we already know, and we're off for movie we actually want to tell.

I feel like Blade was great at introducing a comic character in a way that almost completely sidestepped his origin. And when aspects of his origin are revealed throughout the movie, it actually flows well with the plot that the movie is already telling.

Just one of many great things Blade did that subsequent comic book movies seem to have not remembered.

Drifter posted:

I just think the movie was incredibly hyped up, for solid reasons - much lighter tone, female led comic blockbuster, et cetera -, but that hype flowed over into actual critiques of the movie.

Hmm, critics letting the popular consensus determine how they review a comic book movie, you say? That sounds a bit too conspiratorial to be true.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I wish more would handle them like the Ed Norton Hulk (however you feel about the rest of that movie). A montage over the opening credits of what we already know, and we're off for movie we actually want to tell.

This is was what Lynch was going to do if he got Spider-Man, a five minute opera during the credits of Peter is a dork, gets bitten by a spider, makes a suit, etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Haha did we know Simon Kinberg was directing the next X-Men movie?

It was heavily rumored. He was lobbying for it the minute Singer announced he was done directing X-Men movies after Apocalypse (similar to how Bob Orci began openly campaigning to direct Star Trek 3 when Abrams said he was doing Star Wars).

Not only is he directing it, he's the sole writer. When he's the sole writer, nothing good happens.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Drifter posted:

Great characters, awesome action, great script. What's not to love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of Spider-Man 3, there's a new Blu Ray set out there with an "editors cut" of the film, which looking at some of the changes online, it seems to cut a lot of the fat that really bog it down.

I want to see it bad.

• Locked thread