Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'll join the pretenders faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Right of Rule: Make peace with the French/Moroccans and crush this stillborn revolution. If they will accept it, release Galicia or other rebellious areas to focus on our core lands; they will still be weak and friendless when we have secured our place again.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Could we just surrender to the rebels? What would happen?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Fellow Majils! I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hear you all calling out for us to ally a strong Muslim power to strengthen our position. Now, I only ask of you one thing:

Please point out the possible candidates for such a things! As you'll soon find, there are none. There are currently only three strong Muslim Powers in the Mediterranean that aren't us: Morocco, Tunisia, and the Armenians. Two of those three are our Rivals and Enemies, and the third already is our Ally. I suppose that lavender-coloured one north of Armenia is possible, but what good will they be when France and Morocco comes breathing down our necks? What we need to do is stop having our heads stuck so far up the Dar al-Islam and start realizing how desperate we are for help. How desperate we are for allies. Any allies.

As such, I propose the simply named Bavarian Alliance Act. We need to ally with Bavaria as a means to protect ourselves from the French and our so called "Muslim Brothers" in Morocco. Only then, when we are safe from the overbearing sword of our rivalling neighbours, can we start even thinking about rebuilding.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

gbuchold posted:

Right of Rule: Make peace with the French/Moroccans and crush this stillborn revolution. If they will accept it, release Galicia or other rebellious areas to focus on our core lands; they will still be weak and friendless when we have secured our place again.

Pretty sure we made peace already.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I don't care if I'm allowed to make this proposal or not, it needs to be said!

The fault for the current situation lies not with the Sultan or the Sultana Dowager, but rather with us the Majlis! Decades of New Taifa and Merchant League aggression brought this humiliation upon us! The Majlis cannot be trusted with policy-making anymore. I humbly propose that we dissolve the Majlis and put all power in the hands of the Sultan. This is the only path to bring stability and prosperity to Al-Andalus.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Luhood posted:

Fellow Majils! I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hear you all calling out for us to ally a strong Muslim power to strengthen our position. Now, I only ask of you one thing:

Please point out the possible candidates for such a things! As you'll soon find, there are none. There are currently only three strong Muslim Powers in the Mediterranean that aren't us: Morocco, Tunisia, and the Armenians. Two of those three are our Rivals and Enemies, and the third already is our Ally. I suppose that lavender-coloured one north of Armenia is possible, but what good will they be when France and Morocco comes breathing down our necks? What we need to do is stop having our heads stuck so far up the Dar al-Islam and start realizing how desperate we are for help. How desperate we are for allies. Any allies.

As such, I propose the simply named Bavarian Alliance Act. We need to ally with Bavaria as a means to protect ourselves from the French and our so called "Muslim Brothers" in Morocco. Only then, when we are safe from the overbearing sword of our rivalling neighbours, can we start even thinking about rebuilding.

lol look, dude, we're in different factions and so our proposals aren't actually in conflict, so maybe dial it down a notch.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Mountaineer posted:

I humbly propose that we dissolve the Majlis and put all power in the hands of the Sultan. This is the only path to bring stability and prosperity to Al-Andalus.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen, even if the Loyalists vote for it. Even the sultan doesn't have the power to dissolve the Majlis, however much he might, it'd be a one way ticket to the oubliette.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Could we just surrender to the rebels? What would happen?

You can put forth a proposal to surrender to the Aragonese rebels, I suppose, but not the pretenders. The sultan (and his mother) wouldn't stand for it.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Got a couple proposals going:

Luhood posted:

I propose the simply named Bavarian Alliance Act. We need to ally with Bavaria as a means to protect ourselves from the French and our so called "Muslim Brothers" in Morocco. Only then, when we are safe from the overbearing sword of our rivalling neighbours, can we start even thinking about rebuilding.

Luhood.

Erwin the German posted:

I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with the Vakhtani Caliphate, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

Erwin the German.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Muslim Brotherhood Act: Prioritize cultivating a strong alliance with another Muslim power.

GunnerJ, Yvonmukluk.

none.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 14, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

gbuchold posted:

I've already made the best possible deal with them: some gold.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Hashim posted:

Got a couple proposals going:

Erwin the German.

Can you make it more clear that I'm talking about the Vakhtani Caliphate, just so people know who I'm referring to by "them?"

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Erwin the German posted:

Can you make it more clear that I'm talking about the Vakhtani Caliphate, just so people know who I'm referring to by "them?"

Sure.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Hashim posted:

I've already made the best possible deal with them: some gold.

Ah; missed that since the last pic was still mid-war. Derp

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Wouldn't bending knee to the Caliph just sap our income and gain us nothing? At our distance, it's not like they're going to be a useful military ally or meaningfully come to our defense.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh man, if only someone had foreseen that going to war with the Almoravids would be a bad idea, and result in Al-Andalus being caught in a two front war. Truly a shame. I guess we're Poland now.

I propose the We Need Tequila Now Act Establish 5 colonies on the mainland of Mexico.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 14, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

paragon1 posted:

I propose the We Need Tequila Now Act Establish 5 colonies on the mainland of Mexico.

Supporting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Taifas, huddle up!

Now, as to the Jizrunids, which royal rules is royal business, and not for we humble servants to stick our soft, fleshy necks into. With that said, I propose a bill for all of Al-Andalus! Even for our opposition parties, who sunk the Iberia-spanning super power we created into bankruptcy and civil war! It's almost like merchants are meant to advise, while imams and bootlickers are meant to be silent backbenchers!

The Mountains and the Sea
-An all mandates and quotas granted and demanded by Al-Andalus Under Arms are renewed
-Forbids aggressive action without sufficient funds or manpower, though what is deemed sufficient is at the sultan's discretion (save that there be no outstanding loans).
-Demands the construction of fortresses along the Pyrenees, to slow French advance
-in any conflict with France or Morocco, priority is to be given first with severing their alliance, and second to severing any relationship they possess with Iberian minors.
-in event of war with Morocco, the Navy is to block the straits to prevent Berber access to Al-Andalus
-Aggressive action against France or Morocco is only to be taken in the event that France is already distracted by another major conflict. Morocco's engagement or lack thereof isn't relevant.
-The capital is returned to Cadiz sure why not

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 14, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Taifas, huddle up!

Now, as to the Jizrunids, which royal rules is royal business, and not for we humble servants to stick our soft, fleshy necks into. With that said, I propose a bill for all of Al-Andalus! Even for our opposition parties, who sunk the Iberia-spanning super power we created into bankruptcy and civil war! It's almost like merchants are meant to advise, while imams and bootlickers are meant to be silent backbenchers!

-An all mandates and quotas granted and demanded by Al-Andalus Under Arms are renewed
-Forbids aggressive action without sufficient funds or manpower, though what is deemed sufficient is at the sultan's discretion (save that there be no outstanding loans).
-Demands the construction of fortresses along the Pyrenees, to slow French advance
-in any conflict with France or Morocco, priority is to be given first with severing their alliance, and second to severing any relationship they possess with Iberian minors.
-in event of war with Morocco, the Navy is to block the straits to prevent Berber access to Al-Andalus
-Aggressive action against France or Morocco is only to be taken in the event that France is already distracted by another major conflict. Morocco's engagement or lack thereof isn't relevant.

I would support this, provided with one caveat: the capital should be returned to Cadiz. Toledo's vulnerability to French invasion and Christian uprising, along with it's youth, make it entirely unsuitable.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Proposing Noble Sultana, Save Us from Ourselves which entails kissing up and making nice and developing as many allies as we can in this time of weakness and cupidity on the part of her disloyal snakelike Majlis.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I would support this, provided with one caveat: the capital should be returned to Cadiz. Toledo's vulnerability to French invasion and Christian uprising, along with it's youth, make it entirely unsuitable.

fine

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Excellent! Supporting the Mountains and the Sea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

paragon1 posted:

Oh man, if only someone had foreseen that going to war with the Almoravids would be a bad idea, and result in Al-Andalus being caught in a two front war. Truly a shame. I guess we're Poland now.

Supporting

We need to focus.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

paragon1 posted:

:agreed:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rodyle posted:

Just to make sure, is this only for the Taifas or are you proposing it as a coalition? If it is a coalition, you'll need to announce who's partnering you. If you want a greater likelihood of it passing, then it'd be better for it to be restricted to the Taifas.

Also, starting from the next policy session, I'll probably put a block on moving the capital except under certain circumstances. Can't be moving everyone around every couple years. I might even move it to Cordoba, as a compromise between the two options.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 14, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

paragon1 posted:

I support this, but we should also expand the mississipi colony until it's self sustaining.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Erwin the German posted:

My fellow Ulema, it is clear that our survival requires the patronage of a Muslim power on equal footing to us, one that has reached out to us before, yet we senselessly turned away in our boundless pride...

I refer, of course, to the Vakhtani Caliphate. I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with the Vakhtani Caliphate, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

I endorse the Recognition Act.

Fellow Mullahs, Imams and Ungulates, let us remember whom we serve, the one to whom we bow in obeisance on a daily basis. Remember to whom the power of life and death belongs, the one who is the most gracious, the most merciful. In these troubled times, this remains more vital than ever. So, let us reach out to our brothers to the east.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Hashim, how does our technology and development compare to the rest of Europe/Africa?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Frionnel posted:

I support this, but we should also expand the mississipi colony until it's self sustaining.

Agreed.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I propose the Father of Rivers Act. We should make a self-sufficient colony (a colonial nation) in the Mississippi/Louisiana region (I forget what the colony region is called), declaring war on the native nations as needed to do so.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Frionnel posted:

Technowolf posted:

I propose the Father of Rivers Act. We should make a self-sufficient colony (a colonial nation) in the Mississippi/Louisiana region (I forget what the colony region is called), declaring war on the native nations as needed to do so.

Four of the five colonies needed to establish a Louisiana colonial nation are already self-sustaining, so if paragon's proposal passes, I'll just finish up the fifth and then change the focus.

Aeromancia posted:

Hashim, how does our technology and development compare to the rest of Europe/Africa?

Dip and mil tech are on par, I'm pretty sure, but admin has been falling behind lately. Just finished the Expansion idea group.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Noble Sultana, Save Us from Ourselves which entails kissing up and making nice and developing as many allies as we can in this time of weakness and cupidity on the part of her disloyal snakelike Majlis.

I support this.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Hashim posted:

Four of the five colonies needed to establish a Louisiana colonial nation are already self-sustaining, so if paragon's proposal passes, I'll just finish up the fifth and then change the focus.

Ah, my bad, forgot the specific wording of that motion. Everything is fine then (except for our army and our devastated provinces).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TildeATH posted:

Supporting this

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Erwin the German posted:

My fellow Ulema, it is clear that our survival requires the patronage of a Muslim power on equal footing to us, one that has reached out to us before, yet we senselessly turned away in our boundless pride...

I refer, of course, to the Vakhtani Caliphate. I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with them, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

We can't trust our own rulers to not kill each other, and our merchants start hopeless wars for mere islands at the cost of our own land! Let's get some true followers of Allah to aid us, and hopefully, move us towards the right path. I support this.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 14, 2017

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Muslim Brotherhood Act: Prioritize cultivating a strong alliance with another Muslim power.

I'm kinda tired of us being a Muslim nation on the rear end-end of Dar al-Islam with no other major Muslims to call friends. Gonna leave it the Sultan's hands who to approach, but I don't think making nice with Morocco would be a bad idea.
I support this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I admit I was wrong in proposing to take Tagzir from Morocco, but who could have foreseen such an alliance forming?

Well, what's done is done. Right now, we can't focus on making money with all this shooting of guns and swinging of blades. Peace. Peace is good for business. Plus if we declare peace it'll maybe confuse the hell out of our enemies.

I propose the Peace For Our Time Act: make peace with France and Morocco, as long as the peace terms do not involve any loss of territory in the colonies.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I stand by my illegal, impermissible proposal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mikl posted:

I propose the Peace For Our Time Act: make peace with France and Morocco, as long as the peace terms do not involve any loss of territory in the colonies.

OK, am I crazy here, or are we not already at peace? This is from the end of the update:

quote:

Envoys were quickly dispatched to Marrakesh, offering a white peace to finally end the war, which had dragged on for a decade by this point. Al Andalus still held the fortress at Ceuta, so the Almoravids agreed to the offer, and the French finally withdrew their troops from Iberia.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Erwin the German posted:

I refer, of course, to the Vakhtani Caliphate. I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with them, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

Supporting this. Let's make nice with other Muslims!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rodyle posted:

Taifas, huddle up!

-The capital is returned to Cadiz sure why not

This works for me.