Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What's the absolute worst position. Trump will take because he is going to take that one.

In fact I say by this time tomorrow we have a tweet decrying the violent liberal.left and fake news.

"Scalisi shot in hip and fine, gets press. Nothing in FAKE NEWS about how I am ATTACKED daily by judges over muslim ban to keep us safe! BAD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Ha ha, wow

I'm so glad I decided years ago never to say anything online that I wouldn't be prepared to either back up in public or rescind and apologize for if I was wrong. This is profound cowardice.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Radish posted:

Also political capital is dead (if it ever existed). This guy getting compassion for being attacked isn't going to result in people suddenly being ok with a loathsome health care vote.

The principle of not giving into political terrorism and letting violence dictate legislative outcomes is important to preserve. The AHCA should probably pass after the shooting as a show of national unity against political terrorism. If it doesn't, then it could damage our political institutions and comity for decades.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Serfer posted:

I don't think I'll ever feel safe going to a pizza place. Or a school. Or a holocaust museum. Or an office building. Or you know, the hundreds of places where people get shot every day in America.

i don't think people get shot at the holocaust museum EVERY day

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump has already tweeted about the shooting. He just went all in with Thoughts and Prayers and left it at that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We shouldn't back down from passing healthcare reform because someone shot at our elected officials.

If anything, it is more important than ever to do so and show that terrorism can't achieve the political results it wants.

I don't agree with the bill, but I would let it pass to stand up for the principle and show that we are united as a country against political violence.

So you'd gently caress over millions out of spite?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The principle of not giving into political terrorism and letting violence dictate legislative outcomes is important to preserve. The AHCA should probably pass after the shooting as a show of national unity against political terrorism. If it doesn't, then it could damage our political institutions and comity for decades.

This only matters if there isn't a good reason for not voting on something. The bill's a piece of poo poo nobody but paul ryan wants. A shooting does not matter for that vote.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

are you willing to remind me if this is a persona you like to do when people that do not normally participate in the thread, come to participate

or like, is this really you

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has already tweeted about the shooting. He just went all in with Thoughts and Prayers and left it at that.

Wait until he gets jealous of all the attention and praise the wounded get.

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
Anyone got a way to get the Box Score for that Republican game? It's my birthday and I want to frame it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Y'all really need to look at who you're responding to

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Republicans can pass the AHCA however they like without people being sad their whip got shot at a softball game. No regular person is going to change their attitude about it because of this. Useless political pundits that care about political institutions are irrelevant.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

They'd gently caress millions of people regardless, spite is just added bonus now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/875053604478038016

:mitt:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s funny how many people here are completely lacking humor or a way to detect gimmick posters. It’s that guy’s lame gimmick, he’s been doing it for a while now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

screamin and creamin posted:

It’s funny how many people here are completely lacking humor or a way to detect gimmick posters. It’s that guy’s lame gimmick, he’s been doing it for a while now.

It's more that reality has become so ridiculous that it's almost impossible to tell what is or is not a joke.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The GOP must be panicking about that House seat race. God I can't wait to see the aftermath.

Unfortunately even if we win in Georgia someone like McMagic will freak out that we'll probably lose that race in South Carolina

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This only matters if there isn't a good reason for not voting on something. The bill's a piece of poo poo nobody but paul ryan wants. A shooting does not matter for that vote.

not having any good reason to do it didnt stop congress from authorizing the war in iraq on the exact same principle

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

screamin and creamin posted:

I don't give a poo poo if it's a gimmick because it's a dumb gimmick, "I was only pretending to be retarded" is old and outplayed. In a world where people are "ironically" advocating for a myriad of racist bullshit and a man rode to become the shittiest president in history on a wave of "irony" I'm pretty loving done with the concept.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm thinking a staffer took the wheel of his account for that and we'll see the real Donald Trump take in a day or two.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The GOP must be panicking about that House seat race. God I can't wait to see the aftermath.

Unfortunately even if we win in Georgia someone like McMagic will freak out that we'll probably lose that race in South Carolina

Ooh I don't think anyone's had this hot take yet: with only a week until the special election, this shooting will swing momentum back to the GOP and Ossoff will lose.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CNN drawing the same battle lines Fox drew. Very pleasant summer in store.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Ooh I don't think anyone's had this hot take yet: with only a week until the special election, this shooting will swing momentum back to the GOP and Ossoff will lose.

Plenty of time for Ossof to find a convenient reporter to assault, don't write it off yet!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Entitled white loser with anger problem who treated women like things" is the appropriate label for almost every mass shooter, probably including the one who shot up a UPS shop today.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Robot Hobo posted:

Don't think of him ownership as a hobby or a right, think of it as a religion. As stupid as that sounds, it'll get you closer to the truth than whatever logic you may try applying to it.

^^^^^^
This might sound like grand hyperbole but i can assure it is not.

Okay, story time-
My friend's dad last week was watering a plant that grew over his arbor, and stepped onto a slightly buried stone do get some height. He (A bit of a heavy guy) slipped and came down on both kneecaps smack on concrete. He got carted off to surgery and I'm a nice guy :v: so I offered to feed his cats while he's on the mend. I knew the guy carries all the time all the time. He's got two gigantic solid safes of firearms of all sorts. Not a gun nut, a collector and a level-headed dude. Worst he ever does is go shooting with his buddies at the range. Well, a week later we got to cart his busted-rear end home and set him up to hobble around with his walker. He is doped up on the good painkillers, has to use one of those framed pseudo-toilet thingies, and still, still insists on having a pistol on him at all times.

I had to argue with this dude about which was more important to have on his person should he fall, a pistol or a telephone. They are venerated objects.

:rolleyes:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Serious question: is Trump a worse president than Buchanan?

E: Bonus question: Yet?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheKingofSprings posted:

Donald Trump is destroying the fabric of our political institutions. Preserving them should be our highest priority so that the damage Trump does can be undone by a future President.

Establishing a precedent that violence against political leaders can change legislative outcomes is far more damaging to America than making sure people in Kentucky can still get methodone for free.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Probably not yet, but very very likely to be worse by the end of the term

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Beating Buchanan without a civil war or a succesful equivalent of Dredd Scott is really hard, so not yet.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

KickerOfMice posted:

^^^^^^
This might sound like grand hyperbole but i can assure it is not.

Okay, story time-
My friend's dad last week was watering a plant that grew over his arbor, and stepped onto a slightly buried stone do get some height. He (A bit of a heavy guy) slipped and came down on both kneecaps smack on concrete. He got carted off to surgery and I'm a nice guy :v: so I offered to feed his cats while he's on the mend. I knew the guy carries all the time all the time. He's got two gigantic solid safes of firearms of all sorts. Not a gun nut, a collector and a level-headed dude. Worst he ever does is go shooting with his buddies at the range. Well, a week later we got to cart his busted-rear end home and set him up to hobble around with his walker. He is doped up on the good painkillers, has to use one of those framed pseudo-toilet thingies, and still, still insists on having a pistol on him at all times.

I had to argue with this dude about which was more important to have on his person should he fall, a pistol or a telephone. They are venerated objects.

:rolleyes:

My grandmother is on muscle relaxers and the first time she took one she called me saying she couldn't find her dog so I went over and her dog greeted me at the door and my grandma was all "I can't find my dog." Turns out he was next to her looking everywhere she did while she was looking for him :3: My point is, dogs are cool, drug side effects are not, and I wish I had one of those toilet chairs next to my bed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't AHCA pass by one vote? Would it pass reconciliation having lost a vote?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn't AHCA pass by one vote? Would it pass reconciliation having lost a vote?

Doubtful. If the GOP wanted to they could have whipped one more yea rather than let someone have cover for 2018.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trump might not yet be a worse President than Reagan considering he can't not gently caress up every awful thing he tries to do.

Jesus gently caress Reagan wrecked sooo much poo poo but because he did it with a personable facade people on both sides of the aisle think we'll of him.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

My grandmother is on muscle relaxers and the first time she took one she called me saying she couldn't find her dog so I went over and her dog greeted me at the door and my grandma was all "I can't find my dog." Turns out he was next to her looking everywhere she did while she was looking for him :3: My point is, dogs are cool, drug side effects are not, and I wish I had one of those toilet chairs next to my bed.

:yeah:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Donald Trump is destroying the fabric of our political institutions. Preserving them should be our highest priority so that the damage Trump does can be undone by a future President.

Establishing a precedent that violence against political leaders can change legislative outcomes is far more damaging to America than making sure people in Kentucky can still get methodone for free.

how do you know so much about the shooters motives

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

There Bias Two posted:

It's more that reality has become so ridiculous that it's almost impossible to tell what is or is not a joke.

Actually you're just really dumb.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'd like to point out that, historically, punching was not what stopped the Nazis (or slave owners)

Are you saying we need more firebombing and massed rocket strikes?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Buchanan sucked rear end, but at least he was familiar with geopolitical relations, having served as the ambassador to the U.K. I would argue Trump is more damaging to American politics in the long run because his appointment does away with the idea that the presidency is a position of experience, or at the very least profession. Outsider candidates can be good, but giving the job to a reality television show star/boardgame mascot/sharper image spokesman has truly changed the concept of what being "presidential" means.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Sounds like this is more serious than we thought.

https://twitter.com/MedStarWHC/status/875057648735051777

Scalise is a piece of poo poo but I hope he recovers and becomes a better person for this.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

skylined! posted:

gun violence and the proliferation of gun ownership in the us is a very tough thing to solve for. there is no one factor that is to blame in every instance of gun violence but mental illness coupled with the availability of guns seems to be a huge factor in perpetuating the epidemic, and facts bear that out.
People with mental illness commit violent crimes at a lower rate than the general population. If you want to single out a demographic for killing people with guns, white men are the place to start.

ReidRansom posted:

Scalise is a piece of poo poo but I hope he recovers and becomes a better person for this.
It's been a whole 15 years since he spoke at a white supremacist conference, so maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ReidRansom posted:

Why is liberalism so hopelessly utopian?

• Locked thread