Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

People with mental illness commit violent crimes at a lower rate than the general population. If you want to single out a demographic for killing people with guns, white men are the place to start.

Mass shootings yes, but you're obviously way off in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Actually Leon Trotsky's gimmick is pretty funny sometimes and it's pretty obvious too.

Mountain guy is also funny.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

Actually Leon Trotsky's gimmick is pretty funny sometimes and it's pretty obvious too.

Mountain guy is also funny.

Who would have thought so many people get angry as fuk about mountains

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Orange Devil posted:

Why is liberalism so hopelessly utopian?

It turns out when your entire thing is "respect people even if they act in ways you don't approve of" you wind up respecting even the worst people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There are literally zero states that support the AHCA. Oklahoma and West Virginia have the highest support, at about 35%.

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/875064068738093056

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GWBBQ posted:

People with mental illness commit violent crimes at a lower rate than the general population. If you want to single out a demographic for killing people with guns, white men are the place to start.

It's been a whole 15 years since he spoke at a white supremacist conference, so maybe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigel posted:

There are literally zero states that support the AHCA. Oklahoma and West Virginia have the highest support, at about 35%.

It was similar for the Paris Accord withdrawal.

The US really doesn't support their policies, they just have tons of ways of tricking people into voting for them anyway (hello dark ominous cloud of racism) or to try to prevent people from voting at all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rigel posted:

"What do we want?"

*pained groaning*

"When do we want it?"

*pained groaning*

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Scalise is a piece of poo poo but I hope he recovers and becomes a better person for this.

You forgot the timeline. He is going to have trouble walking and be in chronic pain for the rest of his life, making him an even worse person.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Rotacixe posted:

You forgot the timeline. He is going to have trouble walking and be in chronic pain for the rest of his life, making him an even worse person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3RS2rFll_8

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, are people taking this as an excuse to send death threats to Democrats? The gently caress?

And other republicans.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rotacixe posted:

He'll be on pain medication, high as gently caress, and will run for president you mean.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Rotacixe posted:

lucky for him, he gets to keep the good ACA insurance plan. hooray!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Night10194 posted:

It was similar for the Paris Accord withdrawal.

The US really doesn't support their policies, they just have tons of ways of tricking people into voting for them anyway (hello dark ominous cloud of racism) or to try to prevent people from voting at all.

I almost wonder if the reason the right is so good at messaging is because their policies are so bad. You get a lot more practice with all the tricks of the trade when you're defending the indefensible than when you're just advocating in a straightforward manner.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The highest death estimates for the Porajmos total about one million murdered human beings at the hands of the Nazi scum.
If we are generous and assume that merely a tenth of those who have their access to healthcare cut off by the AHCA die, than that is still 2.5 million dead people. Twice the number of people murdered in something universally agreed upon as a genocide.

Forgive me if I don't have any sympathy to spare for one of the chief architects of this upcoming mass murder. I wish it hadn't happened because I do fear what the GOP's reprisal for this might be, but seriously, Scalise is a man who willingly played a pivotal role in a plan that stands poised to literally murder millions, among the possible victims being myself and many of my family and friends, of people for, at best, no reason beyond naked greed.

gently caress Scalise and gently caress the GOP.

Also we already established a precedent of governance via terrorism when we allowed the Republicans to repeatedly hold the national debt ceiling hostage in exchange for concessions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So is the media going all in on Left vs. Right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obama never budged on debt ceiling negotiations I'm pretty sure.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If we are generous and assume that merely a tenth of those who have their access to healthcare cut off by the AHCA die, than that is still 2.5 million dead people. Twice the number of people murdered in something universally agreed upon as a genocide.

Stop using ballpark estimates that sound reasonable to you but are massively higher than the real estimate by the CBO.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/875046428971630592

Exacerbationism is the light.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Rand Paul even unpopular at mass shootings. How do you screw up giving such a basic statement. What the hell. Who thinks it's a good idea to make that kind of tweet after a shooting.

Like seriously how do you do that? Why is Rand Paul tweeting about tyrannical governments after a shooting.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Can't wait till a Congressman shoots a constituent!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

I almost wonder if the reason the right is so good at messaging is because their policies are so bad. You get a lot more practice with all the tricks of the trade when you're defending the indefensible than when you're just advocating in a straightforward manner.

they're much better at connecting their policies to the more animal desires of fear and distrust

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Sinteres posted:

Stop using ballpark estimates that sound reasonable to you but are massively higher than the real estimate by the CBO.

You're right, I'm sorry. I misremembered; the CBO said 23 million, not 25 million. What a relief!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This man will shoot one of his voters by mistake

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Rand Paul even unpopular at mass shootings. How do you screw up giving such a basic statement. What the hell. Who thinks it's a good idea to make that kind of tweet after a shooting.

The NRA?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I asked it before and I think it is with reiterating: was this guy a Vietnam vet? Anyone know his military status? He would be the right age.
Didn't see this answered. Not military, per a WaPo reporter.
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/875036902704984064

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Are you kidding, a reporter will be first.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The highest death estimates for the Porajmos total about one million murdered human beings at the hands of the Nazi scum.

No reputable economist believes that 2.5 million people will be killed as a direct result of AHCA. If 10% of people without health insurance died as a result, then the U.S. would have had nearly 5 million people die in 2008. Same thing with the Porajmos figures. Nobody who has done serious research on the holocaust thinks that more than a million Romani were killed. The total for everyone, not just Romani, was likely several thousand.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You're right, I'm sorry. I misremembered; the CBO said 23 million, not 25 million. What a relief!

I meant the one in ten estimate. That's massively off.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That seems a bit high. Iirc, it's only around the equivalent of a French Reign of Terror dying every year.
So they're not genocidal, just literally worse than terrorists.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

10% is way, way over the estimates. The numbers vary, but it's somewhere between 10,000 and 40,000 deaths a year. This is a good number to throw in the face of the right wing machine, but the majority of the horror of this bill will be lives ruined/lives made significantly worse due to medical expenses, rather than people dying (the death count is also horrific, though)

You're not being generous, you're being ridiculous.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

He didnt shoot him. He ran in front of the congressman's bullet

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

If only the constituent had a gun, they could have defended themselves!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pollyanna posted:

So is the media going all in on Left vs. Right?

That is what the shooter said and they are reporting his words.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

just make politics into a wild-west shootout

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No reputable economist believes that 2.5 million people will be killed as a direct result of AHCA. If 10% of people without health insurance died as a result, then the U.S. would have had nearly 5 million people die in 2008. Same thing with the Porajmos figures. Nobody who has done serious research on the holocaust thinks that more than a million Romani were killed. The total for everyone, not just Romani, was likely several thousand.

This is your best effort yet and I kinda love it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is what the shooter said and they are reporting his words.

https://twitter.com/alisonwillmore/status/875078060403552256

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
The CBO estimate is meaningless anyway because they're completely rewriting the bill in secret.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously how do you do that? Why is Rand Paul tweeting about tyrannical governments after a shooting.

Because he's a time traveler. I believe the tweet you're talking about is from 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eviltastic posted:

Didn't see this answered. Not military, per a WaPo reporter.
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/875036902704984064

Just a fat middle aged douchebag with an AR-15 who spends all his time consuming news, if you believe his Facebook page.

• Locked thread