Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They could always get Ralph Garman to do a West impersonation if they need touchup work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Madkal posted:

100 Bullets is legit great but if you are of the mind of "I don't like something written/drawn by a creator therefore all of his work retroactively sucks" ie the Frank Miller effect I suggest checking out Azz's Dr 13 Architecture and Morality to re evaluate your opinions on him.
I like Dr. 13 and love his Wonder Woman run but honestly 100 Bullets is a big giant book about nothing. It's stylish and has a bunch of disconnected cool moments but the best parts of the run (for me that's like Wylie's stuff in New Orleans and the single issue with Victor at #50) ultimately have almost nothing to do with the hilarious mess that is the 'main story'. It's a fun book and it's a good read but it's the comic equivalent of airport fiction; calling it great is kind of silly.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/874370308521766912

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/GuillemMarch/status/874572903794257920

https://twitter.com/GuillemMarch/status/874582624953671680

:allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

ACTION COMICS #987
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Lenticular cover by NICK BRADSHAW
Variant cover by MIKEL JANIN

“THE OZ EFFECT” part one! The agents of the mysterious Mr. Oz begin to move as the Man of Steel works to stop the chaos they unleash in Metropolis and across the globe. But when Mr. Oz steps from the shadows his identity rocks the Last Son of Krypton to his core. The story that began in DC Universe: Rebirth #1 begins to end here!
On sale SEPTEMBER 13 • Lenticular version $3.99 • Nonlenticular version $2.99 US • RATED T

ACTION COMICS #988
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by PATCH ZIRCHER
Lenticular cover by NICK BRADSHAW
Variant cover by MIKEL JANIN

“THE OZ EFFECT” part two! As Superman struggles with the ramifications of Mr. Oz’s identity, the mysterious figure’s origins and the long road to Superman’s doorstep finally reveal themselves.
On sale SEPTEMBER 27 • Lenticular version $3.99 • Nonlenticular version $2.99 US • RATED T

DETECTIVE COMICS #965
Written by JAMES TYNION IV
Art by EDDY BARROWS
Cover by EDDY BARROWS
Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

“A Lonely Place Of Living” part one! It’s the story you’ve demanded: Where in the world (or otherwise) is Tim Drake? Red Robin faces a crossroads…escape the most devious prison ever devised, or find himself abandoned beyond time and space for all eternity! Not much of a choice, right? But when he finds out just who is locked in there with him, Tim’s world will change in ways he never imagined! This is one of the biggest stories of the REBIRTH era, setting the stage for an explosive DETECTIVE COMICS epic!
On sale SEPTEMBER 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Checking if the new releases were up, I saw they've started releasing Zero Hour ancillary issue collections. Hell yeah!
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Zero-Hour/digital-comic/526905

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god Mr Oz is going to be Superboy Prime isn't he?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god Mr Oz is going to be Superboy Prime isn't he?

Well it won't be Ozymandias, even the hackiest of hacks wouldn't be that obvious. And I guess if the identity's supposed to be shocking to Superman, it would be someone he knows... yeah, SBP seems as good a bet as any.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Well it won't be Ozymandias, even the hackiest of hacks wouldn't be that obvious.

Of course it is. Just cause they won't acquiesce to anyone with a half a brain who worked out what Oz stood for the minute the The Watchmen aspect leaked two weeks before Rebirth came out, over a year ago, don't make it not so!

edit: Don't give up hope, though. if he wasn't fake Clark or Dr. Oz, we still have multiple Jokers he could turn out to be!

edit edit: Re: The Forge. At this point I think Geoff Johns might be the more subtle multiversal Crisis storyteller.
That was meant to be that Infinite Crisis Anti-Matter Source Tower Machine right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 14, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Well it won't be Ozymandias, even the hackiest of hacks wouldn't be that obvious. And I guess if the identity's supposed to be shocking to Superman, it would be someone he knows... yeah, SBP seems as good a bet as any.

DC: Hold my beer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:kimchi:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh jeez

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Watch out Artemis, he shot the last girl he had feelings for.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Does Artemis have any sort of coherent backstory now that all previous appearances of the Amazons have been retconned to be tricks, lies, or illusions?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

Does Artemis have any sort of coherent backstory now that all previous appearances of the Amazons have been retconned to be tricks, lies, or illusions?

She's part of a group of amazons that isolated themselves from Temiscyra way in the past and found shelter with the egyptian gods on Qurac.

On other news, Soy is killing it on the art

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Every time stuff from Red Hood is posted, he always seems like an edgy fanfiction character. All the girls fall for him, he shoots guns all the time, he knows super special martial arts, he has magic swords that draw power from his soul...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Darth Nat posted:

Every time stuff from Red Hood is posted, he always seems like an edgy fanfiction character. All the girls fall for him, he shoots guns all the time, he knows super special martial arts, he has magic swords that draw power from his soul...

He's Shadow the Hedgehog.

Jason's appearances make sense if you accept that he never actually came back to life and every comic he's been in since Death in the Family is his own special afterlife where he gets to be cool and useful and the superheroes are all his friends.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Darth Nat posted:

You're not wrong. When writers dial that poo poo down and do him properly I like the character, because he's got a good niche as the loveable rear end in a top hat of the Batman family, the black sheep who never really fit the Robin mold and does things his own way now, with guns because guns are useful, sheesh. But it's key to keep him on the loveable end of the rear end in a top hat spectrum; if at the end of the day he's not able to come home for dinner and hang out watching TV with his brothers, you've hosed it up.

Solid retcon on Artemis, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jason isn't always on the "winning" side of things though. Artemis in particular tends to treat him as an hyperactive child.

CapnAndy posted:

But it's key to keep him on the loveable end of the rear end in a top hat spectrum; if at the end of the day he's not able to come home for dinner and hang out watching TV with his brothers, you've hosed it up.

Would you settle with Bruce and Jason eating burgers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wasn't aware Gotham had city-wide rave nights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit edit: Re: The Forge. At this point I think Geoff Johns might be the more subtle multiversal Crisis storyteller.
That was meant to be that Infinite Crisis Anti-Matter Source Tower Machine right?

It definitely looks like it. Suddenly I'm very interested in this story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like when Dick Grayson beats the poo poo out of Jason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

He's Shadow the Hedgehog.

He's got to find that drat fourth chaos emerald.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

My man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

Or Damian

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

This is the correct answer.

Still the best!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"17 new replies. I wonder what people thought of The Forge... Oh."

Madkal posted:

Haven't read it yet, but I will let you know when I do.

You interrupted me, dude!

"...Oh, what a treat! Who doesn't like a good update on Jase and the gang? :)"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 14, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

"17 new replies. I wonder what people thought of The Forge... Oh."

Haven't read it yet, but I will let you know when I do.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm halfway through it, so far seems like a good start for a big event. Brought back one character I was really happy to see again Mr. Terrific . Will update the thread once I'm off work and can finish the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

They really need to hang out more often.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The way I figure it is that Dick can beat the other three, with Damian in second place because even though he's got more raw talent he doesn't have the experience, and Tim can beat Jason because Jason is a lovely fighter (by trained-by-Batman standards) who has to resort to cheap shots and tends to whine about how the sparring sessions would end differently if he had his guns.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

The way I figure it is that Dick can beat the other three, with Damian in second place because even though he's got more raw talent he doesn't have the experience, and Tim can beat Jason because Jason is a lovely fighter (by trained-by-Batman standards) who has to resort to cheap shots and tends to whine about how the sparring sessions would end differently if he had his guns.

Nah, he got trained by an order of assassins/monks.

Plus

https://twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/status/833778956339785728

:v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
My favorite thing about Jason Todd is JT straight murdering people and Batman shrugging and going "love that boy," while batman cripples someone robbing a bank.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasn't aware Gotham had city-wide rave nights.

Brother, you've been missing out on the Annual City-Wide Freakathons?

I believe this was the working title for Knightfall.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nah, he got trained by an order of assassins/monks.

Yep, definitely not an edgy fanfiction character who can beat up everyone with super secret martial arts.

Anyway, I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other about the Forge. It's all buildup with no payoff at this point. The Joker reveal was pretty :shepface: as I'm kind of tired of all the weird "He's not just a crazy criminal, he's tied to SOMETHING MORE!" interpretations of the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darth Nat posted:

Yep, definitely not an edgy fanfiction character who can beat up everyone with super secret martial arts.

Anyway, I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other about the Forge. It's all buildup with no payoff at this point. The Joker reveal was pretty :shepface: as I'm kind of tired of all the weird "He's not just a crazy criminal, he's tied to SOMETHING MORE!" interpretations of the character.

Please spoil it for me.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Green Lantern and Duke are in the Batcave when some mysterious, omniscient voice starts talking to them that seems to know all about the mystery that Batman is investigating. Turns out it's the Joker, who's locked away in the Batcave for some reason scrawling a huge sequence of numbers on the wall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Please spoil it for me.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/14/the-major-excavations-from-todays-dark-days-the-forge-1-spoilers/

My big problem is all the infodumping dialogue.

I get the feeling that Snyder doesn't trust his artists when the scientist working on an erupting volcano has to explain that he's a scientist afraid to be stuck on a currently erupting volcano for paragraphs of speech bubbles.

And since this is all building on the most tiresome parts of Snyder's Batman (all the built up mythology stuff,) tip: All of his Batman is currently on sale at Comixology :)

edit: Just read the new Wonder Woman and drat, that was brutal. I think I'll remember this run for making me care about Cheetah over everything else.
If the new full-time WW writer doesn't use Bilquis Evely, I'll be pissed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darth Nat posted:

I mean, is no different to Bruce himself with the globetrotting training and/or the League of Assassins depending the continuity. And having him actual martial art training is a nice way to give him a niche on his own and to differentiate him from Dick, Tim and Damian.

Plus, Lobdell can actually rein himself so the idea doesn't go pants-on-the-head retarded unlike Tynion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The book just came out today, come on.