Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Finally tried my hand at Apollyon on realistic with a friend and hily poo poo, gently caress her. Revenge every 2 hits and her tracking is godly. I don't know how anyone could beat her. We were so close so many times and either the rocks got us or the revive timer got us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cheesing her out super hard with the orochi's bow. You can take off some pretty huge amount of her health with purely arrows if you came in fully stocked and stuff.

Also bring the high heal feat and stuff like that.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
She barely ever opens with a light attack (and when she does usually it's because you're far and she tries the running slash). Parry her a lot and side dodge the unblockables in phase 3 (probably one of those is parriable too but I didn't want to risk it as they take do too much damage).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Iirc the trick is to gather all the poisons from the level but dont use them until her phase 2.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I didn't find her that hard on realistic? Took me two tries I think. It's a long and boring slog, but just use your dodge/deflect and you're set.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The only part of realistic that was remotely hard was the (apparently completely optional) battle against a couple of regular orochi in the castle, and I am a poo poo-tier player who can't ever tech guardbreak and blocks in the wrong direction most of the time.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I came back after three months to THIS poo poo?

What happened to all of my gear?

All the stats are rerolled. My Valkirie plays like she's wearing a weightvest and some high heels why not.

Why in the gently caress would I keep playing now that all of my gear is useless and they expect me to get MORE renown to get to what.. five now? To start all over again?

What a loving joke.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I came back after three months to THIS poo poo?

What happened to all of my gear?

All the stats are rerolled. My Valkirie plays like she's wearing a weightvest and some high heels why not.

Why in the gently caress would I keep playing now that all of my gear is useless and they expect me to get MORE renown to get to what.. five now? To start all over again?

What a loving joke.

The gear system was more than a little broken previously with revenge. Gear in general has been nerfed pretty heavily - even max rank gear you're maybe getting a +10-15% bonus to attack if you focus all your gear stats on it. Sure it's nice, but christ dude, if you're rep 3 you're already going to be getting the good stuff.

Actually that's the other thing. The way gear works now is heavily weighted to favour low ranking gear. It gets better as you go up of course, but as gear levels go up the effect goes down.

In other words, you're overreacting, you get a new piece of gear literally every other match if not more, chill the gently caress out.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Iron Rose posted:

The gear system was more than a little broken previously with revenge. Gear in general has been nerfed pretty heavily - even max rank gear you're maybe getting a +10-15% bonus to attack if you focus all your gear stats on it. Sure it's nice, but christ dude, if you're rep 3 you're already going to be getting the good stuff.

Actually that's the other thing. The way gear works now is heavily weighted to favour low ranking gear. It gets better as you go up of course, but as gear levels go up the effect goes down.

In other words, you're overreacting, you get a new piece of gear literally every other match if not more, chill the gently caress out.

I realize they nerfed the effect of the gear - but ALL of the stats are the same, at least that I can see? There's still exhaustion, block damage, damage, etc?

So the gear that I had focused towards being agile, recovering my stamina and such - well, poo poo, that's rerolled into useless stuff now?

What was the point?

Were some of the bonuses removed? Replaced? Otherwise why not just keep my gear statted like it was - scaled back, sure - but where I had exhaustion recovery, it should still be exhaustion recover, etc.

I never built for revenge to begin with - because hey, I knew they're gonna shitcan it down the line! Oh well, my attempt to remain useful was for nothing.

Maybe a lot more changed that I'm attributing to the gear, too? I played all of two rounds before looking at my character to realize what had happened so sure, maybe there's more in effect here. Just feels unnecessary to entirely scramble the stats on things. Scale it back, sure, but don't outright make it worse.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I realize they nerfed the effect of the gear - but ALL of the stats are the same, at least that I can see? There's still exhaustion, block damage, damage, etc?

So the gear that I had focused towards being agile, recovering my stamina and such - well, poo poo, that's rerolled into useless stuff now?

What was the point?

Were some of the bonuses removed? Replaced? Otherwise why not just keep my gear statted like it was - scaled back, sure - but where I had exhaustion recovery, it should still be exhaustion recover, etc.

I never built for revenge to begin with - because hey, I knew they're gonna shitcan it down the line! Oh well, my attempt to remain useful was for nothing.

Maybe a lot more changed that I'm attributing to the gear, too? I played all of two rounds before looking at my character to realize what had happened so sure, maybe there's more in effect here. Just feels unnecessary to entirely scramble the stats on things. Scale it back, sure, but don't outright make it worse.

It was their way of making it more balanced, so gear didn't have such an outsized effect on the 4v4 modes. Not entirely sure how you can scale things back without making them worse, just by definition alone.

As for exhaustion recovery, stamina recovery, and stamina use - that's all still there. Most stats are the same, but some things got rolled into one another.

You gain gear so fast in this game that your complaints don't make a ton of sense to me, since playing a handful of games is going to get you the gear with the bonuses you want. Sure, sucks that they got shuffled around on you, but given that the effect is ultimately relatively minor (the highest you can get stamina recovery is like, 20% and level 2 gear will give 10%), this really seems like a problem fixed by just playing the game for half an hour.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Furthermore, the advantage that gear initially gave in 4v4 modes made not having that gear a loving trial

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Furthermore, the advantage that gear initially gave in 4v4 modes made not having that gear a loving trial

Yeah, since that patch I haven't really run into situations where I was basically boned because the other dude had 100+ gearscore and could go revenge every three seconds and murk me in two hits while in it. I still see dudes get revenge in 1v1 situations every now and then, but now it does take decidedly longer and at least I know it'll come at a tangible tradeoff.

But while we're bitching, I wish they'd just outright remove the feat that offers immunity to bleed. That thing basically exists only to completely gently caress over Nobushi (and somewhat inconvenience Peacekeeper) and does pretty much nothing to the rest of the cast. And of course you see it most commonly on Wardens, who are already a chore to fight against.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Finally tried my hand at Apollyon on realistic with a friend and hily poo poo, gently caress her. Revenge every 2 hits and her tracking is godly. I don't know how anyone could beat her. We were so close so many times and either the rocks got us or the revive timer got us.

you're playing Orochi. Dodge.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jesus christ the Conqueror is hot unfun garbage to try and play as. Does your enemy know how to dodge one of the slowest bashes in the game? Congratulations, you can do literally nothing but fish for mediocre parries.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Also your light attacks hit like wet towels being snapped at their armor. I actually try to play an aggressive conqueror with mixed results. I basically avoid the shield bash due to forgetting about it often since I'm still new to the class. It is difficult but you can definitely probe with the lights to try and get them into a position where they get hit by your superior blocking heavies. Also in 1v1, charging heavies leads to me getting turbo murdered.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Conq is still in the highest tier of heroes. His bash isn't that slow. What's probably happening is your opponent knows your pattern (and conqs limited options into bash) and is able to predict dodge. Trying to dodge his bash on true reaction (only once you see the bash move wind up) is very difficult and some heroes actually can't dodge far enough at that last stage.

Try mixing up heavy feints by using the all block, and don't always bash after a forward dodge. YouTube up some high tier conq play to see. If your ever on the receiving end of a conq who is doing dodges into attack into all block and mixes that with dodge into bash it's rough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Conq is still in the highest tier of heroes. His bash isn't that slow. What's probably happening is your opponent knows your pattern (and conqs limited options into bash) and is able to predict dodge. Trying to dodge his bash on true reaction (only once you see the bash move wind up) is very difficult and some heroes actually can't dodge far enough at that last stage.

Try mixing up heavy feints by using the all block, and don't always bash after a forward dodge. YouTube up some high tier conq play to see. If your ever on the receiving end of a conq who is doing dodges into attack into all block and mixes that with dodge into bash it's rough.

The issue I have is that at this point there doesn't seem to be anything left that meaningfully recommends him above the other characters. Even if you do connect a bash, all you get out of it is either a limp light attack, or a mediocre heavy if you boot them into a wall. Compare that to a Warden, who's got a 50/50 on his bash and gets better damage off of any result. Warlord, Lawbringer, and Cent all have faster/easier bashes that result in similar damage, and Shinobi's kick has about the same speed with better damage.

And aside from the bash, what else is left? His attacks and chains are slow and weak. The charged heavy is a trap against anybody who doesn't oblige you by throwing out a slow attack for you to counter. The superior block is largely redundant with the regular parry unless you're up against Nobushi or Lawbringer (who can't be gb'd off of a parry). You get a gb off of heavy blocks but that, too, is pretty redundant with parries most of the time. Finally you have "safer" parries by being able to segue directly into charging a heavy if the enemy feints, which is nice but also eventually made somewhat unnecessary once you've got a better handle on the timings and when to feint your own parry. These last two are useful crutches when you're starting out, but don't actually offer an actual advantage.

I mean, you can obviously still do well with him, but that's true of pretty much any character, particularly those who get a gb off of a parry. But from what I can see he's got no meaningful unique advantage going for him that would really make me want to pick him instead of anybody else.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
RIP this terrible but fun game :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's got bad numbers, but honestly I'll probably keep playing it here and there until it's literally shut down.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh I still pop on occasionally to try and clear some more trophies, but once I plat I'm probably done with this game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I still jump on every now and then, but I've given up playing anything but duel and brawl. The introduction of Centurion has made the 4v4 modes close to unplayable without even getting into the connection issues that still aren't fixed. The player pool has dropped off enough that I'm repeatedly going up against the same people, but most of them are cool and we have good matches so that's fine. Terrible when looking at it from the position of game health, but it's still as fun as ever to actually play.

Not sure what the hell they're going to do about season 3 though. Since just about everyone has left, it wouldn't surprise me if they churned out some low-effort content just for the sake of contractual obligation to season pass holders. The community has largely given up on the game and I don't think the developers could do anything to gain them back at this point.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I launched the game yesterday. There wasn't even the leaderboards to look at so I just quit after going through the menus and wondering what I should do with the game for a minute. This is probably pretty standard experience.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This honestly one of the first games I've seriously regretted purchasing and playing in a long time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wildlands would have been it for me but I managed to return it before the refund timer was up.

Don't buy ubisoft games, kids

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I don't regret buying it because it was actually extremely fun I regret Ubisoft being a company that churns out terrible, by the numbers crap.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah, I definitely had my moneys worth. Unfortunately the game just dried up way waster than I thought it would. Leader boards and tournament mode could have kept it going for longer if those were implemented earlier.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like it was the sense that they didn't have a good handle on balance. Like in both speed and direction.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

There's fun to be had but I don't think I've played a game with such aggressively bad everything. Well the game play is/was fun so there's that and the graphics/sound are fine. Like how to you gently caress up the menus so badly, that's like the free space in bingo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 24, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Yeah, I definitely had my moneys worth. Unfortunately the game just dried up way waster than I thought it would. Leader boards and tournament mode could have kept it going for longer if those were implemented earlier.

I'm still able to find games whenever I play, not sure what all the eulogizing is about. I've put more hours into this than any game in a very long time. Never played a game where my experience is apparently so different to the rest of the internet

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I still play this a lot too.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm still able to find games whenever I play, not sure what all the eulogizing is about. I've put more hours into this than any game in a very long time. Never played a game where my experience is apparently so different to the rest of the internet

I'm sure there are still games. I meant that interest in the game died which the player numbers show. This thread is pretty dead too.

The game has novel idea but in the end the idea doesn't carry and there is just badly balanced fighting game for you to play.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I played a shitload, got over a 100 hours out of it. I just can't bring myself to log in anymore, but I don't regret it at all. Game was fun as gently caress, hope they fix the issues.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Have we talked about how dumb it is to have revenge mode enabled in duels? Because it's so dumb.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

slap me and kiss me posted:

Have we talked about how dumb it is to have revenge mode enabled in duels? Because it's so dumb.

Ehh revenge is kind of cool in theory, it's just that certain classes benefit from it WAY more than others. Warlord wins if he gets off a single revenge headbutt.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pinbacker posted:

I played a shitload, got over a 100 hours out of it. I just can't bring myself to log in anymore, but I don't regret it at all. Game was fun as gently caress, hope they fix the issues.

Yeah, same here. I've happily put in 107 hours into this, which is the point where I'd start getting some fatigue with basically any game. And I'm still looking forward to diving in again when there's another major patch and/or content update. The core remains incredibly solid and they do make progress in the right direction, albeit at a glacial pace. I just hope eventually they'll get their head around balancing things from the perspective of the target as well as the user.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

slap me and kiss me posted:

Bah don't pop it and if they do spam Wow!

I've read that it's going to be disabled in ranked duels! kinda cool.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Hard posted:

Bah don't pop it and if they do spam Wow!

I've read that it's going to be disabled in ranked duels! kinda cool.

I don't pop it, but they pop all the time and it's terribly annoying.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Anyone tried the rank system on the test server yet?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Game's on sale. I've been interested for a while. Should I get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's a fun game, but it's still in a real rough state in a few ways. Probably wait a while longer for them to do however many more content updates like they have planned, then see if the community comes back better after those balance changes and things. As much as I do still enjoy it, I wouldn't recommend it too quickly because there is/would be a bunch of caveats to doing so.