Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fruit and veggies are awful for long gaming sessions, just like they'd be awful for long work sessions. Make a nice big pot of soup or stew or, my first choice, a big pot of red beans and rice. Just make rice in the morning, and when you get hungry have some of food with a decent balance of macronutrients, and make sure to open windows and go for a walk once a day (weather permitting, of course). Snacks like yogurt and apples are good, too, but you can't replace a decent diet with "cut up some apples and poo poo, I dunno" and expect to get the same results.

vOv posted:

I'm going to stay up all night and slam energy drinks and lovely food because I'm taking Friday off and I don't work weekends. I make good life decisions.

this is also a perfectly acceptable answer. If you worry about taking care of yourself, take some time to make something decent instead of just buying a bag of apples instead of doritos. Learning to cook even like 10 rudimentary things you like will serve you better than any of the garbage advice from reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

My sister had the gall to get married Saturday and I guess I'm in the wedding party or something, but I'm fairly sure I can sneak out of it with a simple flashbang distraction I've concocted.

This is the sort of situation where having a PS Vita comes in handy. Depending on how good the WiFi is at your church anyway.

I've run myself out of games I can make reasonable progress on in a day (starting my very delayed Witcher 3 playthrough right now seems like bad timing) so I guess I'll have to act like a responsible adult and do some housework tomorrow. :shrug:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 14, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Farg posted:

Hardest part will be getting to bed so that I wake up like a human at 5. What's the best way to sleep earlier than normal goons

A little late now, but the best way is to just wake up an hour earlier every morning.

I'm gonna spend tomorrow cleaning up my apartment and preparing food so that I can be a worthless sack of poo poo for up to 72 hours.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Susano is a loooooong fight.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Fruit and veggies are awful for long gaming sessions, just like they'd be awful for long work sessions. Make a nice big pot of soup or stew or, my first choice, a big pot of red beans and rice. Just make rice in the morning, and when you get hungry have some of food with a decent balance of macronutrients, and make sure to open windows and go for a walk once a day (weather permitting, of course). Snacks like yogurt and apples are good, too, but you can't replace a decent diet with "cut up some apples and poo poo, I dunno" and expect to get the same results.

this is also a perfectly acceptable answer. If you worry about taking care of yourself, take some time to make something decent instead of just buying a bag of apples instead of doritos. Learning to cook even like 10 rudimentary things you like will serve you better than any of the garbage advice from reddit.

Absolutely. Get some protein, it'll help you stay alert better, too!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So wait, there's going to be an idle timer?

there was for HW launch for a few days, i think it was an hour or something

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

im just going to eat the food i prep normally on sundays which is chicken, ground turkey, asparagus, broccoli, hard boiled eggs, sweet potatoes and strawberries. Probably mix in a tuna fish sandwich.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Bobfly posted:

Absolutely. Get some protein, it'll help you stay alert better, too!

Holyshoot posted:

im just going to eat the food i prep normally on sundays which is chicken, ground turkey, asparagus, broccoli, hard boiled eggs, sweet potatoes and strawberries. Probably mix in a tuna fish sandwich.

Fat plays a pretty big part in keeping you from being hungry because of the slow burn that doesn't spike your blood sugar. If you're in a pinch, hard boiled eggs are pretty much the perfect health food for snacking and breakfast on the go. Keeping an egg carton full of just hard boiled eggs can save you from lots of bad decisions.

Also, peruse something offal if you're not a great cook, there's lots of great advice and simple recipes you can learn to vastly improve both the flavor and nutritional content of the food gamers generally eat. Plus you can spend all of your time arguing about sous vide (sue veed) the same way we argue about class balance in mmo threads.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Also, peruse something offal if you're not a great cook, there's lots of great advice and simple recipes you can learn to vastly improve both the flavor and nutritional content of the food gamers generally eat. Plus you can spend all of your time arguing about sous vide (sue veed) the same way we argue about class balance in mmo threads.

What's their Fracture-Riker equivalent avatar?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thundarr posted:

This is the sort of situation where having a PS Vita comes in handy. Depending on how good the WiFi is at your church anyway.

I've run myself out of games I can make reasonable progress on in a day (starting my very delayed Witcher 3 playthrough right now seems like bad timing) so I guess I'll have to act like a responsible adult and do some housework tomorrow. :shrug:

It's outdoors. I would never set off a flashbang in a church.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just buy a stack of OJ it's not like stats matter when leveling.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

It's outdoors. I would never set off a flashbang in a church.

yeah, for churches you go with something with real killing power like flare.

see: vault

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They just scream at each other about cooking techniques. Imagine how much good wine, beer, and scotch you could buy for what that guy dropped on avatars in here?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So wait, there's going to be an idle timer?

Just like when HW launched there will be an auto-disconnect for people who are idle for too long, it'll get turned off after a week or so once server traffic dies down a little.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Truga posted:

yeah, for churches you go with something with real killing power like flare.

see: vault

Scream "sickness must be purged!" And run from the wedding

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

vOv posted:

I'm going to stay up all night and slam energy drinks and lovely food because I'm taking Friday off and I don't work weekends. I make good life decisions.

I did this when 2.0 came out. Was a fun weekend, but man that next week at work sucked.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Crock pots.

e: to expand on this, crock pots simply don't do a very good job of cooking food--at least not in the "just throw in a bag of frozen chicken thighs and a jar of supermarket salsa, then go away for eight hours" sort of way that goons dream about--and to get anything approaching good results you're pretty much always going to have to do side work in a normal skillet or whatever. this doesn't stop someone from making a thread about crock pots every once in a while, and they're always lucky to go 5 posts before someone posts the salsa chicken recipe as a joke, and 10 posts before it's a full on jump-potion-level shitshow

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 14, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

funkymonks posted:

I'm going to spend time with my wife and daughter so I can then ignore them all weekend guilt free.

OK that's a lie. I will play Stormblood all weekend but I'll probably feel bad about it.

Just tell them you want to play video games for Father's day.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is there any difference in purpose/style between the three FCs on Excalibur or should I just join the one with the name I like best?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If crock pot salsa chicken is wrong I don't wanna be right

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I'm moving from Excal to Omega ASAP with my friends. We have our own lovely FC and will make a new one, but will there be a goon linkshell? Hoping for an invite if so!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Thoom posted:

Is there any difference in purpose/style between the three FCs on Excalibur or should I just join the one with the name I like best?

It used to be that PBC was the main one and DGKK was the alt/casual one, but these days I don't think there is any real difference.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm off the next two weeks, so I'm going into gremlin mode with snacks and good crock pot food (which is pretty easy tbh). Agreed that a lot of it requires some prep in a skillet, but slow cooker carnitas is tasty and brainless. Secret is making a batch that'll last a day and no longer, since the quality drops off over time.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
crock pots are perfectly workable for some kinds of cooking--braising works well, as does stewing things that don't rely on browning/reduction like compote or oatmeal.

the problem is you could also just buy a loving stovetop pressure cooker or (budget permitting) insta-pot, which will do everything a crock pot could faster and better, and much more besides.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It would be cool if some people died because they didn't eat because they were playing this game too much

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crock pots are definitely more of a, how should I put this, casual cooking tool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
all this normie health advice is making me sick. disgusting.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Get this: If you go to the store you can buy food, which you can take home to eat. You can even go to special stores where they cook the food for you, which you can eat on their premises or at home. That way, you won't die of starvation.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Just tell them you want to play video games for Father's day.

This advice right here is why I spent 10 bucks 13 years ago to join a stupid internet comedy forum.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Crock pots are definitely more of a, how should I put this, casual cooking tool.

putting things into a crock pot without browning them first is basically exactly like going into wildfire without hitting raging strikes/b4b first

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Fair. Pressure cookers are wondrous.

Whichever method is used, I recommend favoring protein with plenty of fiber. Get some vitamin C, D, and zinc every day. Don't feel like death when returning to work/school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/865656604770713605?lang=en

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Countblanc posted:

all this normie health advice is making me sick. disgusting.

I'm going with a few heaping spoonfuls of amphetamines stirred into a pint of vintage Code Red, followed by a chaser of black coffee and a pack of cigarettes (to aid digestion, of course)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
(on what removed spells would he miss) Yoshida: The opposite was true [he successfully saved one]. The Protect spell, there were talks within the dev team that “oh we don’t want this anymore” and he (Yoshida-san) felt that as Final Fantasy you have got to have that spell [Protect]. It would be weird if we didn’t have it.

gee thanks yoshi for keeping this stupid maintenance spell that nobody likes but is required anyways. appreciate it buddy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm going with a few heaping spoonfuls of amphetamines stirred into a pint of vintage Code Red, followed by a chaser of black coffee and a pack of cigarettes (to aid digestion, of course)

black coffee is badass

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sword_man.gif posted:

(on what removed spells would he miss) Yoshida: The opposite was true [he successfully saved one]. The Protect spell, there were talks within the dev team that “oh we don’t want this anymore” and he (Yoshida-san) felt that as Final Fantasy you have got to have that spell [Protect]. It would be weird if we didn’t have it.

gee thanks yoshi for keeping this stupid maintenance spell that nobody likes but is required anyways. appreciate it buddy.

he could have at least had the loving decency to make it like the PvP version or a new Stoneskin or something, christ

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Got a picture with YoshiP. Saw Foxclon. It's been a good day so far.

It's so funny how much of a loving rock star Yoshi P is. Lines of people to get pictures. Women literally screaming when they see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

YoshiP told me to tell you all: gently caress hardcore players and please look forward to Eureka content as the special content on every odd number patch.

• Locked thread