Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't think of anything of particular importance that A really spoils for B. There's some vague stuff, but I feel like A shies away from B's main characters enough that there's still a ton of mystery preserved going into B. Whereas if you do B first, most of A's mystery will be spelled out for you, including all of the biggest twists. At that point, it would just be a totally bog-standard and predictable disaster thriller. (edit: Even more than it already is)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Honestly there are arguments both ways. Trying not to be too specific, the ending of route B lands very differently if you're played route A first.

For me the thing that tips it is that I think the pacing works far better playing A before B.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Stexils posted:

do the route with the orange jumpsuit guy first. i forget which is which

That would be A. The only advantage to doing B first is after A being pretty good B is relatively boring in comparison so you can get it out of the way first.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the biggest factor is there's a reasonable chance you'd get bored and give up if you played B first. Although for anyone who's played route B first I'd want to know their reaction to the post-credits sequence, which is telegraphed if you've already played Route A but entirely out of left field if you haven't.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think the biggest factor is there's a reasonable chance you'd get bored and give up if you played B first. Although for anyone who's played route B first I'd want to know their reaction to the post-credits sequence, which is telegraphed if you've already played Route A but entirely out of left field if you haven't.

Well, I did Route A first, and then got bored and gave up during Route B anyway. None of the characters are likeable and barely anything happens for hours on end.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

steins gate 0 question:

am i going to miss anything if i wait until i have whatever unlocks the true ending to do the vega and altair route?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

steins gate 0 question:

am i going to miss anything if i wait until i have whatever unlocks the true ending to do the vega and altair route?

No, it's fine to do that. The true ending starts after the vega and altair end sequence so you won't miss anything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Man, I could sit here and keep trying to get into Umineko, or I could try House at Fata Morgana, but what I really want is the next Higurashi :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

Man, I could sit here and keep trying to get into Umineko, or I could try House at Fata Morgana, but what I really want is the next Higurashi :(

How far into Umineko are you? The "real" Umineko doesn't really reveal itself until like a third of a way through Chapter 2, but I also really liked the second half of Chapter 1 when poo poo started hitting the fan.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How far into Umineko are you? The "real" Umineko doesn't really reveal itself until like a third of a way through Chapter 2, but I also really liked the second half of Chapter 1 when poo poo started hitting the fan.

Battler was a huge pansy about a plane ride, then a boat ride, now he's awkwardly sexually assaulting his own cousin. So not far in the slightest. I don't remember half the characters' names, but there's that family tree thing in-game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I would drop the former VN since FM sounds much better than random death game.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Battler was a huge pansy about a plane ride, then a boat ride, now he's awkwardly sexually assaulting his own cousin. So not far in the slightest. I don't remember half the characters' names, but there's that family tree thing in-game.

Episode 1 Battler is terrible. If I remember correctly, it's a total departure from the rest of the game. I'm not really sure why he's like that so early but yeah. I really loved Umineko but haven't finished it since it just got away from me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They try to make Battler out to be a sort of fun-loving guy who loves getting up to hijinks and such, but they do so in a rather... questionable manner. That particular quality doesn't last very long.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Alder posted:

Actually, Umineko's writing is incredible

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The airport stuff is slow but all the episode one buildup is super important for establishing motives and such. And yeah, Battler's awkward sex joke poo poo is bad early on, but there's like three? more instances of that, and they stop completely by Episode 3.

Alder posted:

Calling it a "random death game" is an extreme disservice imo, it's more like a classic Christie style murder party and it's got some of the best mystery writing I've ever seen. It's entirely solvable by the player before it reveals the answers to you, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love both but for fairly different reasons. Umineko has an incredible mystery, soundtrack, and general impact with its twists and turns, not to mention some downright ridiculous meta aspects that give it a flair beyond the bare meat and potatoes of the story. Fata Morgana has a beautifully unique style and weaves a tragic drama that is absurdly good, with an equally well developed and fleshed out cast to match it. So it would come down to which type of story you'd want to experience, a tragic drama/romance or a mystery with twists that would make :lost:'s head spin.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think I probably like umineko slightly more but Fata morgana is more easily recommendable cause its not too long by VN standards (like 20 hours) instead of a huge 8 episode epic

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fata Morgana is a lot better paced. Umineko's scenes do mostly make sense in retrospect, but at the time they can seem pointless and that makes it hard to get into.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At any rate, I would burn through Umineko EP1 first since that at least will be shorter than all of Fata Morgana (plus from the sounds of it you own Umineko but may not own FM yet?) and the ending of EP1 especially will tell you all you need to know about what Umineko's deal is, especially the Tea Party at the end for a Higurashi player such as yourself food court bailiff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

umineko isn't even remotely a death game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

At any rate, I would burn through Umineko EP1 first since that at least will be shorter than all of Fata Morgana (plus from the sounds of it you own Umineko but may not own FM yet?) and the ending of EP1 especially will tell you all you need to know about what Umineko's deal is, especially the Tea Party at the end for a Higurashi player such as yourself food court bailiff.

I grabbed FM during the last sale since everyone here talked it up, but if it's not a mystery I'll probably jam on Umineko for a while because clearly I need more question chapters in my life.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I did read up to when the murders started in Umineko and I liked the improved PS3 sprites along with VA but it felt less of a mystery house than supernatural theme :shrug:

I plan on reading FM once I fix my PC...someday.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Symphonic Rain released on Steam today. I really like rhythm games in general, so a VN hybrid seems pretty cool. I'm tempted to buy it. Does anyone have thoughts on it they are willing to share? How often are the rhythm sections?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Alder posted:

I did read up to when the murders started in Umineko and I liked the improved PS3 sprites along with VA but it felt less of a mystery house than supernatural theme :shrug:

I plan on reading FM once I fix my PC...someday.

You should play more Umineko. Not even getting through Chapter 1 doesn't even begin to tell you what is about. You should at least get about halfway through Chapter 2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The rhythm sections aren't terribly frequent, and there are only a few songs. There's basically a different song for each route, and you're expected to do the same one over and over again until you perfect it. It's also not a particularly good rhythm game either, it's pretty basic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

John Lee posted:

You should play more Umineko. Not even getting through Chapter 1 doesn't even begin to tell you what is about. You should at least get about halfway through Chapter 2.

It could be a personal reason but I do recall getting terribly confused and having to look up the wiki for summaries.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Symphonic Rain released on Steam today. I really like rhythm games in general, so a VN hybrid seems pretty cool. I'm tempted to buy it. Does anyone have thoughts on it they are willing to share? How often are the rhythm sections?

Often enough, but you'll be playing the same song a lot over the course of each route. The plot is... Well it's short enough that you can speed through all the stupid routes (all but the true one) and the true one is good enough to retroactively carry the game. Up to that point the game will be carried by the songs and Phorni, who is the best character by a mile.

One of the girls routes will piss most people off very badly so be prepared for the game to upset you and make you want to quit and never look at it again. Push through it all because the True End really is worth suffering through the rest.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Often enough, but you'll be playing the same song a lot over the course of each route.

I actually liked that. You're not gated by how well you do in most of them and it's explicitly representing you practising for a major recital at the end of the route. So you do a bunch of repetitive practice sessions with the other characters and at the end you the player have had enough practise that you can do the recital well.

Or you can just set them to auto and never think about them again.

Getsuya posted:

One of the girls routes will piss most people off very badly so be prepared for the game to upset you and make you want to quit and never look at it again.

Only one? I had that with Falsita but I've heard I should expect it with Liselsia as well.

edit: Of course that was seven years ago. Perhaps the wounds have healed by now. Perhaps.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 15, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I only remember two routes in the game; the one that made me hate it and the one that made me love it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I purchased the 12 dollar humble bundle, but I already Root Double. So I'm giving away a free copy of it. It is only open to people in the SA Goon Steam group, so there should be a reasonable chance of winning.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm really enjoying Dies Irae now. I've finished the first two routes and all the other stories that you are able to read at this point. I thoroughly love most of the villains. Even Spinne got a chance to shine in the 3rd "Other Story." They have the best laughs. I swear that that being able to have evil laughs must have been thoroughly tested when voice casting.

While taking a break during the 3rd other story, I was wondering what was going through Sieglinde's mind when she was going through all of that, since she was supposed to be clairvoyant and have foresight. It makes a ton of sense that she did all of that with knowledge that it would cause the main story to happen.

As I continue to delve deeper into Dies Irae, it keeps edging closer and closer to Fate Stay/Night in how much I like them. At this point, I know don't which I like better. I'm going to give a more detailed review now that I'm at the halfway point (with 57 hours!).

"+" means I have a positive opinion of it, "-" a negative opinion, and "?" means I'm not sure how I feel about it. The more +s or -s there are, the larger the opinion is

+++ Characters. They are fantastic. This mostly stems from how much I really like the villains. The protagonist is OK. He is generic in some ways, and less generic in others. The love interests vary.

++ Voice acting. Gosh, I love these voice actors. The bad guys' VAs are terrific. They are over the top in the right way. The good guys' VAs are OK.

+ The fighting. Its pretty good. While fiction of this type obviously relies on gambits so that less powerful opponents can win, I feel like Dies Irae is a little too quick to jump to it. Other battle oriented works tend to focus a bit more on the fighting details before that, Dies Irae tends to cut away to something else during a fight, When the attention comes back, it is basically already in the "desperate and need a gambit" phase. This may be preferable to some, but it holds it back somewhat in my eyes.

+ The Setting. Not much to say here, but it is good enough to serve as a backdrop for everything.

+ The art style. I'm not really great at judging art (I actually like the Steam Higurashi art), but it is generally pretty good.

? Plot. OK, I guess? It serves its purpose (to guide the story to the battles and the characters).

? Prose. The majority of the character stuff is good and fits the individual character. The characters speak properly in character. However, the narrative in general (and a couple characters in particular) definitely seem carry the tradition that the Japanese version of this had by being a little difficult to read. Many times I need to use the backlog and reread the text I just read. I'm a native English speaker. It's definitely intentional (particularly in the case of the two speakers), but I'm not sure how I feel with this. This definitely contributed to that longer read time. People that are better readers than me, or care less about certain details seem to have spent only about 25 hours where I'm at in the story.

- The music. The music that exists is fine, and the size of the OST isn't a problem either (45 tracks). The problem is the OST is really stingy with how it spreads the music around the VN. I've realized certain characters have themes, but the VN tends not to use them except for the battles where they are the focus, so often they aren't heard. Additionally, the early routes have less characters (since obviously they are saved for the later chapters), which cause the early part of the VN to have repetitive music.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 18, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

? Prose. The majority of the character stuff is good and fits the individual character. The characters speak properly in character. However, the narrative in general (and a couple characters in particular) definitely seem carry the tradition that the Japanese version of this had by being a little difficult to read. Many times I need to use the backlog and reread the text I just read. I'm a native English speaker. It's definitely inte

I want say that a lot of its difficulty is probably not fully intentional. This was much more prevalent in the common route and first route (Kasumi), but the writing is honestly just kind of sloppy in a lot of places. There are a few nearly incomprehensible lines, but for the most part it's just spots of rough grammar and other such things that break the flow of reading. The prose, especially in the early/Kasumi route, is just kind of all over the place. Character tone can feel a bit disjointed too, in my opinion. The Kei route's translation was a significant improvement over the Common/Kasumi routes, but it still felt like it needed better editing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 18, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"I've chosen to make my prose as alienating and difficult to read as possible." -- a good writer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
One of the two Vita releases for EU PSN this week is Nurse Love Addiction.

Live long, Vita.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

edit: i discare anymore

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 20, 2017

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I want say that a lot of its difficulty is probably not fully intentional. This was much more prevalent in the common route and first route (Kasumi), but the writing is honestly just kind of sloppy in a lot of places. There are a few nearly incomprehensible lines, but for the most part it's just spots of rough grammar and other such things that break the flow of reading. The prose, especially in the early/Kasumi route, is just kind of all over the place. Character tone can feel a bit disjointed too, in my opinion. The Kei route's translation was a significant improvement over the Common/Kasumi routes, but it still felt like it needed better editing.

Not fully intentional, but some parts are. The two characters I mentioned Mercurius and Reinhard in particular are specifically mentioned in story to be stupidly verbose (even in their thoughts when the perspective follows them).

Here is a quote from the Chapter 7 Marie route:

In an introspection, in a calm inspection of his own many negatives, Mercurius found his taste for jests to be the one that stood out the most. Next came his needless verbosity. With his nature being that of an inconsiderate man, he was severely unequipped to speak the necessary words at the necessary time in the necessary amounts. He acknowledge that fact.

In fact, he was doing it right now. The meaning of the deluge of letters he had just sprouted forth could easily be boiled down to the simple and meager four word sentence of "I talk too much." He was a wordsmith that refined the complicated and reforged the straightforward into the complex. That is how he preferred to perceive and present his thoughts. It was small wonder those environing him would consider him vexing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Incidentally, that bit struck me as especially weird when I first read it because it sort of betrays how the game was originally written, with the alternate perspective scenes being a mix of third person narration and first person internal monologue. The translators decided to convert every NVL scene (that is every scene that doesn't belong to Ren) to pure third person, and it really didn't work for those lines.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Incidentally, that bit struck me as especially weird when I first read it because it sort of betrays how the game was originally written, with the alternate perspective scenes being a mix of third person narration and first person internal monologue. The translators decided to convert every NVL scene (that is every scene that doesn't belong to Ren) to pure third person, and it really didn't work for those lines.

I just view it as a form of 3rd person omniscient. The narrative will choose to relay certain information, but sometimes relay the thoughts on a character's mind. I'm pretty certain I've read other works of fiction that have the same sort of perspective, so that doesn't bother me too much.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

One of the two Vita releases for EU PSN this week is Nurse Love Addiction.

Live long, Vita.

pissssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In the first Yuri Nurse game I could shrug it off as being a reasonable part of the story because it's decently set up to seem fitting. In Nurse Love Addiction it became clear this was the writers fetish and they really didn't care what it did to the plot and characters.

MC was dumb enough to do it, but it's everyone else just sort of shrugging it off that got to me.