Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know who is trolling anymore, but have you ever seen anything that Mel Brooks has done?
Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, History of the World Part I and The Producers are legit some of the funniest movies I've seen.

e: DOG TAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

my bony fealty posted:

And Reagan was almost assassinated within the lifespan of many posters here - though that was the odd one out, as the shooter was not politically motivated at all and actually mentally ill.

W had a grenade thrown at him and land very close. The guy throwing it didn't expect it to be a dud.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Scalise was No Angel

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wark Say posted:

Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, History of the World Part I and The Producers are legit some of the funniest movies I've seen.

Same.

I even like the Producers remake. Nathan Lane is a gem and I don't care what anyone says.

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If we are generous and assume that merely a tenth of those who have their access to healthcare cut off by the AHCA die, than that is still 2.5 million dead people.

I think you're forgetting all of the lives squandered by the War on Drugs, Terror, and other Republican policies over the past few decades. The Republicans death toll via lovely policy since 1970 on U.S. citizens is in the tens of millions. Bureaucratic killing is incredible. Then of course they're likely to be responsible for the few billion that will die from climate change but those will be foreigners mostly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Politifact rates this: false. There have been no recent reports tying black police shooting victims to white supremacy groups.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i mean, i super agree in cases of racism and sexism - awful people use irony as a shield to say what they want to say and get away with it - however, I'm not sure that we can take that concept and therefore include that The Colbert Report never really existed and I imagined it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

idk, the mountains troll is pretty great.

It's because he always acts so hurt when people bring it up now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theflyingorc posted:

i mean, i super agree in cases of racism and sexism - awful people use irony as a shield to say what they want to say and get away with it - however, I'm not sure that we can take that concept and therefore include that The Colbert Report never really existed and I imagined it

Have you ever touched the Colbert Report?

How do you know it was real?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, like, just an FYI to kind of stop all this freaking out, but politicians have been shot before and died and it didn't result in the government turning into fascists. Like, four presidents were assassinated. So, this is pretty awful, no doubt. Crazies shouldn't have guns, people shouldn't shoot politicians, and this helps no one, but it isn't going to cause some government crackdown or turn Trump into a godking. It's just going to be repeated forever and ever smugly by Republicans while Democrats continue to receive Death Threats, used as an excuse to hand-wave away when some MAGA hat shoots someone, and give Republicans and Trump an approval boost for a short time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I must have missed when he said that the holocaust never happened.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lemming posted:

I must have missed when he said that the holocaust never happened.

Are you ironically pretending that you can't understand irony? Or are you, ironically, unironically unable to understand irony?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

AnoHito posted:

Didn't he stop the gimmick because he couldn't keep it up without starting to seriously believe what he was saying?

i do not recommend being ironic for like two years on the same topic

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

that's how you develop prodromal schizophrenia

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I'm sure this take has already been discussed here, but it sure is revealing how republican MOC are reacting to this event compared to other shootings. It's almost like they only care when it directly effects them!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/875092759576797184

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Personally when the chickens come home to roost it always made me glad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That is from months ago.

They already said they are changing it in the Senate bill.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hanales posted:

Don't cheer political assassinations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

That is from months ago.

They already said they are changing it in the Senate bill.

The new part of the tweet was:

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/875085178733039617

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Covok posted:

So, like, just an FYI to kind of stop all this freaking out, but politicians have been shot before and died and it didn't result in the government turning into fascists. Like, four presidents were assassinated. So, this is pretty awful, no doubt. Crazies shouldn't have guns, people shouldn't shoot politicians, and this helps no one, but it isn't going to cause some government crackdown or turn Trump into a godking. It's just going to be repeated forever and ever smugly by Republicans while Democrats continue to receive Death Threats, used as an excuse to hand-wave away when some MAGA hat shoots someone, and give Republicans and Trump an approval boost for a short time.

That was also back when people read the news and didn't declare things they disagree with fake news.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

gently caress off holocaust denier

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theflyingorc posted:

Which is sort of the point, isn't it? Its one thing to tell a random joke. Maybe it gets laughed at, maybe it bombs. But the more you tell the same joke over time it starts to become part of your identity.

Like, if a stand up comic made a career out of telling rape jokes he may not actually find rape funny but he could hardly blame people for assuming he does.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LOL it was ironic way to fall for that post, this thread is so easy to troll

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I cheer 100% of all suffering endured by republicans and I probably always will.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Covok posted:

:ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Same.

I even like the Producers remake. Nathan Lane is a gem and I don't care what anyone says.
It was alright. :thumbsup:

Non-Mel Brooks, these are 2 of my favorite moments in comedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLgekyOZA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir1sVy9JLyo

Now let's try and get back on track. :)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

What's with the :ohdear:?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Spacebump posted:

That was also back when people read the news and didn't declare things they disagree with fake news.

Faux News was a meme in 2002.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

Which is sort of the point, isn't it? Its one thing to tell a random joke. Maybe it gets laughed at, maybe it bombs. But the more you tell the same joke over time it starts to become part of your identity.

Like, if a stand up comic made a career out of telling rape jokes he may not actually find rape funny but he could hardly blame people for assuming he does.

Sure, absolutely agree. And if Leon's THING were Holocaust Denial, all day every day, I'd be pretty worried about him. but he just does random trolls every once in a while, sometimes I find it funny, sometimes I don't. i don't think he legitimized any viewpoint :shrug:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

hanales posted:

me too which is why I hope they all get bankrupted by their hospital bills

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Joking is literally how terrorists like the kkk and neonazis begin to recruit and introduce the idea of actual killing and violence. It's a "safe" way to examine and inhabit new ideas by suspending the usual boundaries that make them unthinkable.

One of the killers at Columbine high school had two friends he was thinking of using as accomplices. When he started joking with them every week about blowing up the school, one of them filed a police report and the other one became the second killer. It's basically a form of grooming and you can do it to yourself if you're not careful.

4chan is basically the same thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Faux News was a meme in 2002.

In 2017 the President actively calls most outlets fake news, things are much worse off than in 2002.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Sure, absolutely agree. And if Leon's THING were Holocaust Denial, all day every day, I'd be pretty worried about him. but he just does random trolls every once in a while, sometimes I find it funny, sometimes I don't. i don't think he legitimized any viewpoint :shrug:

Which of holocaust denial jokes do you think are funny?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Not that it's anything to debate or discuss, but TalkingPointsMemo has some cell video of the baseball practice shooting. This rear end in a top hat went whole hog, jesus.
Sorry if it's a repost.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hanales posted:

God drat the United States of America

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, I mean I wasn't really directly talking about him as much as the idea of "ironic _____" in general. I don't find trolling or GBS style line crossing funny. I don't necessarily get wound up about it but that's just for the same reason I don't get wound up about my boss being kind of dumb or bad traffic on the commute home. Some poo poo you just choose to put up with.

But I wouldn't like fight for Leon's right to say offensive poo poo to people likely to be offended either. He/she's not exactly breaking new comedic ground or working hard by walking into D&D and saying plainly offensive poo poo.

I'll grant the mountain thing was at least some real effort to make a lot of people who presumably don't care at all about something to get really riled up about it. I'm not sure that's worth doing, but it definitely took some work.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I mean I wasn't really directly talking about him as much as the idea of "ironic _____" in general. I don't find trolling or GBS style line crossing funny. I don't necessarily get wound up about it but that's just for the same reason I don't get wound up about my boss being kind of dumb or it raining on the weekend. Some poo poo you just choose to put up with.

I want old d&d back but it's not going to happen so gotta just roll with what we got. Yeah.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

At least they are being honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm sure everyone will forget about it in a day like they did when a trump supporter killed six muslims in their house of worship.

• Locked thread