Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

Apparently the vanilla mythic that Maro's been hinting at for a while now is in Unstable. What are the odds that it's a creature with a bunch of abilities, the last of which is 'CARDNAME is vanilla'?

Nah, it'll probably be a real vanilla. It'll probably be something that is absurdly efficient like an 8/8 for 4 and a wall of flavortext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The biggest problem with Un-sets isn't even stuff like Gotcha (though it loving sucks), it's that a whole bunch of uncards are just really bad cards that use their joke aspect as drawbacks. Stuff like 'Vanilla creature only you have to do X every turn or it dies' isn't fun at all.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

The biggest problem with Un-sets isn't even stuff like Gotcha (though it loving sucks), it's that a whole bunch of uncards are just really bad cards that use their joke aspect as drawbacks. Stuff like 'Vanilla creature only you have to do X every turn or it dies' isn't fun at all.

That wouldn't be vanilla though. Vanilla creatures can not have any rules text in the rule box, only flavor text.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Un sets are horrible, but I do respect one deck my buddy made that forced you to either concede or drive to the store to buy him a drink.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Walked posted:

They're going to do some sort of expedition type cards to keep people cracking packs. Book it

Before the set was announced Maro repeatedly said that they wouldn't put black-boarder in silver board just to move packs. Since the announcement I'm assuming this is still true (thought it wouldn't surprise me otherwise)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
AFAIK, both original unsets were designed entirely by Maro, with him just filling things in with one-ofs from other folks in R&D. Any sort of actual design and development process should make this third set much more playable.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SoftNum posted:

Before the set was announced Maro repeatedly said that they wouldn't put black-boarder in silver board just to move packs. Since the announcement I'm assuming this is still true (thought it wouldn't surprise me otherwise)

I hope you're correct!

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Gotcha is a terrible mechanic except for Stop That!, which should be legal in every format.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Rigel posted:

That wouldn't be vanilla though. Vanilla creatures can not have any rules text in the rule box, only flavor text.

Not really. Cards like Mother of Goons is effectively vanilla except for the times when it's suddenly worse. And that's my point, 'vanilla creatures but sometimes they suck' isn't a fun theme to play just because the way they suck has a joke stapled to it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I don't go onto Reddit, did I miss some sort of gamergate poo poo? From Facebook:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I don't go onto Reddit, did I miss some sort of gamergate poo poo? From Facebook:

Not to my knowledge, this is just a storm in this one guy's teacup I guess. Also lmao at his list of good authors.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ZeroCount posted:

Apparently the vanilla mythic that Maro's been hinting at for a while now is in Unstable. What are the odds that it's a creature with a bunch of abilities, the last of which is 'CARDNAME is vanilla'?

Literally just Grizzly Bears at Mythic

I would also accept Grizzly Bear, G, 1/1

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

whydirt posted:

God bless that tiny excitable man

:yeah:

Also the mythic is 99% going to be something involving vanilla ice cream

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unstable should just be silver-bordered functional reprints of cards that they wish they could have changed the title to.

Llanowar Elf, Bird of Paradise, Grizzly Bear, etc.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

stabbington posted:

Gotcha is a terrible mechanic except for Stop That!, which should be legal in every format.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Hellsau posted:

I think your friends on facebook are just humongous idiots that probably shouldn't even be let near a woman, let alone have the ability to criticize them. The swing at women at WotC was totally out of left field and completely unwarranted with nothing backing it up.

Also he said X2 was bad, I will fight him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think I just realized something.

Crew came from ixalan originally, right? WotC removed what was probably going to be a mechanic that let you ride dinosaurs, in favor of indian nascar.

what a terrible choice, goddamn

E: I don't remember where I heard the first thing but it was probably at like 4 am regardless so it might be completely wrong

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GeneX posted:

Crew came from ixalan originally, right? WotC removed what was probably going to be a mechanic that let you ride dinosaurs, in favor of indian nascar.

what a terrible idea, goddamn

No, it was the monarch mechanic that was originally supposed to be in Ixalan.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GeneX posted:

what a terrible idea, goddamn

I dunno, I was perfectly satisfied with the flavor of being able to have a bird drive a car that drove a train that drove a larger train.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SoftNum posted:

If this is true then we likely won't see another Un-set after this (except for maybe after another dozen years).

Ultimately, WotC/Hasbro is in the business of making money. Un-sets don't do that, because once everyone gets over the novelty of drafting a funky format, and after your LGS has their one or two novelty Un-set Format FNMs, no more product moves because nothing is there to drive product sales. Unhinged was fortunate to have black-bordered full-frame full-art basics, which still didn't move packs enough to make it seem worth it.

There will absolutely be something included in the set to help drive sales - even if it's just "Full Art Land in every pack."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mikujin posted:

If this is true then we likely won't see another Un-set after this (except for maybe after another dozen years).

Ultimately, WotC/Hasbro is in the business of making money. Un-sets don't do that, because once everyone gets over the novelty of drafting a funky format, and after your LGS has their one or two novelty Un-set Format FNMs, no more product moves because nothing is there to drive product sales. Unhinged was fortunate to have black-bordered full-frame full-art basics, which still didn't move packs enough to make it seem worth it.

There will absolutely be something included in the set to help drive sales - even if it's just "Full Art Land in every pack."

When he said no black border in un-sets to drive sales, I don't think the full art lands count. Everybody expects them to deliver on beautiful full art lands.

If they are restricted to only full art lands to drive sales, then if I were in charge I'd commission art for at least 20+ full art lands so that people would be encouraged to buy more than just 3 packs for one draft. I'd want a full set if the land looks awesome.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mikujin posted:

If they don't put the avon lands or something better to drive interest they are loving stupid beyond belief.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mikujin posted:

In a world where full-art lands were still only in Un-sets, that would drive sales a little bit. But since they were included in Zendikar, Worldwake, Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, and Amonkhet, full-art basic lands aren't so unique anymore.

Plus they'll be in the same lovely template they use for full art lands now with the curved border instead of the one used for Unhinged.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

What if it's scratch and sniff though?

edit: How about instead of full art lands they do full border lands?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Maybe Unstable will be the only place to get Pro Tour Player Cards.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Just give me a Masterpiece Jack in the Mox, Booster Tutor, and Ashnod's Coupon.
Bonus for new card Booster Box Tutor.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The blurb for Rivals of Ixalan talks a lot about vying for control of the golden city. I would guess that at one point it had something similar to the Monarch mechanic before it was taken by Conspiracy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I drafted Unhinged once when it came out, with my friend and six other people. We were wondering why we weren't having fun while everyone else was, and then realized that it was because we were the only ones sober. I don't really have the same worries with Unstable. Magic card design has improved massively since 2004.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HMS Beagle posted:

The blurb for Rivals of Ixalan talks a lot about vying for control of the golden city. I would guess that at one point it had something similar to the Monarch mechanic before it was taken by Conspiracy.
Congrats, you guessed correctly. Basically every dev talk about Monarch thus far has begun with "so we stole this from Ixalan".

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also they should reprint the Unglued lands.

With white borders. :getin:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Here's a really weird product:

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/gift-pack

A set of the Mark Poole Commander lands in foil, 3 packs that you can't draft easily, a Spindown, and (presumably promo) foil Metalwork Colossus and Kari Zev. What a strange assortment of things for $20.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

$3 per land sounds kinda steep but on the other hand Poole's lands are really sweet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Entropic posted:

Gotcha was a terrible idea for a mechanic.

Counterpoint: Stop That needs to be legal in every format.

Yes, including sealed/limited.

E: Stupid me posting immediately instead of reading the rest of the unread posts, oops.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol if you prefer Mark Poole over Kev Walker or Rebecca Guay

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Star Man posted:

I didn't have opinions about basic lands until Rebecca Guay.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Star Man posted:

I bought ten of each Guay land from Commander 2016 and use them in my standard decks, and they blow people's minds. Admittedly, that's partly because everyone else who isn't using lands from the land station is using BFZ full-arts.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They should do black-boarder reprints in the Un-sets of stupid/EDH poo poo like Goblin Games, plus some chase cards illustrated with with Foglio-esque visual puns. Like a Snapcaster Mage dressed like a magician doing finger-guns :ocelot::grin:

EDIT: And print any un-cards that have appropriate mechanics with black boarders, too. Even though they'll only be for legacy, who cares?

Eikre fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 14, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Hellsau posted:

A set of the Mark Poole Commander lands in foil, 3 packs that you can't draft easily, a Spindown, and (presumably promo) foil Metalwork Colossus and Kari Zev. What a strange assortment of things for $20.

I think stuff like this is normally a result of "We screwed up in printing and have some extra sheets of cards to shift"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

I'm really confused why the WPN site still asks me every time what language I want, what country I'm in, and in 2017 asks me if I want to use cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Star Man posted:

Being the #3 C16 land doesn't mean they're not sweet as balls. :colbert:

Which reminds me, I need to go dig through my LGS's land station for some Commander Anthology lands.