Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

:same:

Watched some games yesterday. Fortress of Redemption manned by dark eldar against a mix of 'nids. The fortress is rough to kill. Also foot crons/destroyers against 3 manticores, 3 hydras, and 3 vinidcare assassins with some assault marines and characters up front. The cron player didn't make past midfield. Artillery and taking out crypteks was pretty good with a net of jumpers just getting in the way.

I'm playing tonight. I also want to try out some jumpers and put my Culexus assassin on the table since you still need 6s to hit.

Azrael
2x 5man devs, 4x heavy bolter, assback
2x 5man tac, melta, combi melta, assback
1x 5man tac, plasma, combi plas, assback
3x rifledreads
2x 10 assault marines
Culexus assassin

Still proxying the heavy bolters but that's life. 45 marines, 5 tanks, 3 dreads. 4++ invul/reroll to hit bubble. The assassin+marines is probably too many disruption units but whatever. Go forth and and tie up.

A brave new world where assault marines are usable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

And if by some LoS miracle only a cupola my dudes are visible behind a wood, can my whole unit take wounds/be killed?

Yup.

They have completely embraced the idea that models are a static representation of a dynamic entity so your position on the table isn't as critical. It's far from ideal but once again they went simple and fast on something that used to be slow, unclear and tedious.

Advanced terrain rules for stuff like barricades will likely be used frequently.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nickels fit perfectly inside 25mm bases. I use them whenever I need extra weight.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That looks great. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

While it's for a different model, the method still works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevL5Rvn0Jc

The only difference is that I airbrushed screaming skull on rather than doing it by hand.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nickels fit perfectly inside 25mm bases. I use them whenever I need extra weight.

Yeah, works for a lot of stuff. I remember when I was building and painting a tyranid starter box for an ex 3 or 4 years ago though it was all slotta bases so really hard to weight. Those hormagaunts were annoying as poo poo to keep standing, I think I cut fishing weights in half for those.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, works for a lot of stuff. I remember when I was building and painting a tyranid starter box for an ex 3 or 4 years ago though it was all slotta bases so really hard to weight. Those hormagaunts were annoying as poo poo to keep standing, I think I cut fishing weights in half for those.

Yeah, fishing weights work well. The really small ones can be easier to work with; instead of cutting them just pour the smaller weights into the base and then pot in place with flowable epoxy.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, fishing weights work well. The really small ones can be easier to work with; instead of cutting them just pour the smaller weights into the base and then pot in place with flowable epoxy.

That's a really good idea.

I've seen a lot of people put magnets in there to put on metal sheets for carrying, I think I might do that eventually.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

A brave new world where assault marines are usable

hey man skyhammer was a thing

but yeah. Tough enough with enough bodies to stop shooting from non flying stuff. And are fliers so can go after airplanes..

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Do you have pics?
Nah, I don't. I never got around to painting that army beyond one test squad which was later stripped and semi-disassembled to customize more.

I plan on getting my light box out in a couple of days once I finally complete the Catachan squad I've been working on. I'll have to take some new pictures of my 30k dudes and I might take some of my unpainted Night Lords for grins. I am totally going to bring back that old project as soon as legion rules are a thing again.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Here's a list of random crap I wanna try out that I'm running Saturday. The Hormagaunts are riding with the Trygon Prime.

Raveners: Do I run them across the board or burrow them?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I haven't played a game of 8th yet, but the way visibility now interacts with terrain seems crap.
I can understand why they've done some things (Must allocate wounds to the wounded model in a squad first = need to be able to allocate wounds outside LoS), but it seems like it could be better, like say max shooting casualties being capped at the number of visible models.
Only getting a cover save if you're Inside a building, and not Behind it (two of ten models visible) is just plain stupid, and it really doesn't seem like '50% of unit is obscured? They get a cover save.", like when they're behind a barricade, would be too complicated.

Maybe someone who's played a few games can elaborate on if this stuff actually works well or not? This is the first thing I've seen from the new rules that seems a bit poor.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Texmo posted:

I haven't played a game of 8th yet, but the way visibility now interacts with terrain seems crap.
I can understand why they've done some things (Must allocate wounds to the wounded model in a squad first = need to be able to allocate wounds outside LoS), but it seems like it could be better, like say max shooting casualties being capped at the number of visible models.
Only getting a cover save if you're Inside a building, and not Behind it (two of ten models visible) is just plain stupid, and it really doesn't seem like '50% of unit is obscured? They get a cover save.", like when they're behind a barricade, would be too complicated.

Maybe someone who's played a few games can elaborate on if this stuff actually works well or not? This is the first thing I've seen from the new rules that seems a bit poor.

Not having to argue over cover has sped up the games I have played.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Having cover be practically meaningless means I save a fortune on terrain by playing on a flat surface with a few beer cans scattered around for blocking LoS. It also results in a more meaningful tactical experience because determining if something is on the other side of something else is hard.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Here I've found a video that will help hams deal with determining cover if they ever have to play a GAME THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKu3NE7Omkw

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Here I've found a video that will help hams deal with determining cover if they ever have to play a GAME THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKu3NE7Omkw

Serious question here- If you hate 40k so much (and it certainly seems like you do), why do you keep coming in here and making GBS threads the thread up? When I don't like something I generally don't obsess over small details about it and then repeatedly post about how much I don't like that thing and how everyone that does like it is dumb. It's totally fine and understandable if you don't want to play the game but you really don't contribute anything to the thread aside from causing myself and likely other this sort of low-grade annoyance whenever you post.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TKIY posted:

Yup.

They have completely embraced the idea that models are a static representation of a dynamic entity so your position on the table isn't as critical. It's far from ideal but once again they went simple and fast on something that used to be slow, unclear and tedious.

Advanced terrain rules for stuff like barricades will likely be used frequently.

Other than the whole TLoS thing, anyways.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ah good we're already up to the "if you have any criticisms you must hate 40k" stage :allears:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Ah good we're already up to the "if you have any criticisms you must hate 40k" stage :allears:

There are totally valid criticisms of what we've seen of 8th so far, possibly including the rules for cover, but at least for me personally drive-by shitposting is not the way I'd like to see it discussed.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

adamantium|wang posted:

Hey now, he's gotta cope with that low-grade annoyance.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

adamantium|wang posted:

It's a legit criticism, but it's obfuscated by "well i guess we'll just play on a blank table i guess since terrain is literally useless always (its not)" and chanting "THE GAME WE ASKED FOR" like it's a meme he wants to stick.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

adamantium|wang posted:

It's weird that nobody's accusing me of hating 40k despite having just criticized it though right?
Couldn't possibly be because big meaty shits makes lots of worthless posts that don't actually contribute anything.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

There are totally valid criticisms of what we've seen of 8th so far, possibly including the rules for cover, but at least for me personally drive-by shitposting is not the way I'd like to see it discussed.

Drive by? I've been here all day.

If my criticisms of cover are possibly legit criticisms (thank you, by the way, that's very kind of you), what's the problem? Let's talk about it!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

adamantium|wang posted:

That's not at all what's happening here.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

WhiteWolf123 posted:

That's not at all what's happening here.

Pendent posted:

Serious question here- If you hate 40k so much (and it certainly seems like you do)

Give me a minute I think I can find a Grover video to help you with reading.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Abuse victims are sad as hell :(

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Thanks. It's the VIDEO I DIDN'T ASK FOR.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I prefer going to a craftstore that caters to train modelers and buying lead beads(it's to add weight to cars that are too light on the tracks). They are very small and fill in spots nicely. I use nickles on standard bases but slotted bases get filled with elmers glue then I pour on beads to fill up the space. I've been using the same bag of lead for over a decade.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a legit criticism, but it's obfuscated by "well i guess we'll just play on a blank table i guess since terrain is literally useless always (its not)" and chanting "THE GAME WE ASKED FOR" like it's a meme he wants to stick.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Thanks. It's the VIDEO I DIDN'T ASK FOR.

:colbert:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Mate you need some fuckin' help with your social etiquette if you can't figure out that people are being hostile toward you not because you're criticizing something they like, but because you're doing it in an abrasive and childish manner which just makes people think you're an annoying jackass.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 14, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I'm not a fan of the new cover rule either, but the whole "THE GAME WE ASKED FOR" poo poo is so loving boring already. I'll gladly discuss and debate the rules, the pros and cons of the 8th edition changes, etc... but the incessant pointless bitching is insufferable.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
So does anyone wanna talk about the rule or do y'all wanna keep on going about my posting?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Getting cover when inside a terrain feature but not behind it relative to the enemy seems weird tbh

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Endman posted:

Getting cover when inside a terrain feature but not behind it relative to the enemy seems weird tbh

At least it speeds up the game right?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah, and I don't see how one is harder to work out than the other, since you're just drawing a straight line.

Edit: ^^^^ Sssh, no snark. You don't want to be accused of hating the game now. ^^^^

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

So does anyone wanna talk about the rule or do y'all wanna keep on going about my posting?
You already know the answer to that.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I agree with you that sight to the squad that's entirely obstructed by cover should provide a cover save. Enough so that discussing it with your local playgroup would be something worth looking into.

May be worth interpreting that "All cover that would otherwise provide cover if the squad were inside it counts as blocking LOS for models shooting through it." Seriously. If you're in the cover you're harder to hit, but somehow firing all the way through that same cover doesn't provide any benefit? I think it's a stupid rule.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

LingcodKilla posted:

True, but it hurts the verisimilitude a bit

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I think I see where they're coming from but cover is really, really useful for infantry models to be in now. I'm guessing we'll be seeing some houserules on this before (hopefully) they update the rules in December when they release the new Chapter Approved.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Endman posted:

True, but it hurts the verisimilitude a bit

please don't use that word around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I agree with you that sight to the squad that's entirely obstructed by cover should provide a cover save. Enough so that discussing it with your local playgroup would be something worth looking into.

Yeah, but then you run into the problem of house-ruling the game and limiting your options outside of your group. Mine were talking about making each phase alternating activations, since it's more or less how the Fight phase goes and tends to make other games more enjoyable. But the house-rule rabbit hole goes deep.

Mantic are encouraging house-rules and reporting the more successful ones back for future FAQs/errata. If GW had a similar mechanism I'd be down.

• Locked thread