Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

me too which is why I hope they all get bankrupted by their hospital bills

worst part of all this is as congressmen they have fantastic health insurance at public expense and none of them will be bankrupted by the er and surgery bills like they would prefer happens to all poor americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is from months ago.

They already said they are changing it in the Senate bill.

If only we had the text of the Senate bill.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

One of their staffers has assured us it will be leaked to the press at some point, which is what he's waiting for in order to see it as well, as the founders intended

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Covok posted:

What's with the :ohdear:?

Your predictions are exactly what I feared most

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/875010131628609536

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Paradoxish posted:

Agreed. I'm the OP of the Healthcare Reform me gathered and there has been nothing new policy-wise for months.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

skylined! posted:

the left has guns too

quoting from yesterday because lol

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

At least they are being honest

There's a first time for anything.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

Hoping one of the other networks will pick it up instead.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

UberJew posted:

worst part of all this is as congressmen they have fantastic health insurance at public expense and none of them will be bankrupted by the er and surgery bills like they would prefer happens to all poor americans

I think the worst part is the possibility of further breakdown of peaceful democracy, and the risk that political shootings become commonplace, but rich getting treated better than poor is (as always) salt in the wound

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lowest hanging fruit finally drops from the tree.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there was always going to be a reckoning. you can't do this forever and expect nobody to explode.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

there was always going to be a reckoning. you can't do this forever and expect nobody to explode.

actually, no, I think its reasonable to expect people to not shoot each other

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i guess you can say that if you're totally ignorant of history. or even current events where people have been oppressed for decades.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

I think the worst part is the possibility of further breakdown of peaceful democracy, and the risk that political shootings become commonplace, but rich getting treated better than poor is (as always) salt in the wound

this sort of thing isn't at all unusual

there was no similar handwringing about the disintegration of peaceful democracy when dylann roof successfully assassinated a state senator shooting up a church

but because its a bunch of white republicans on a baseball diamond that's beyond the pale unlike shooting up a historically black church i guess?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How about a compromise? Bullets for some, miniature American flags for others.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
or when a motherfucker shot up a crowd at a grocery store in an attempted assassination on giffords

but again, she wasn't a republican so it wasn't a Serious Threat To Our Democracy who cares

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

i guess you can say that if you're totally ignorant of history. or even current events where people have been oppressed for decades.

Yeah I guess. People kill each other all the time while they aren't being oppressed, so it's not like they'll stop just because they are.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
maybe its that nobody died this time that makes it so much more Dangerous To Our Way Of Life than those other recent assassinations that involved people actually dying

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

UberJew posted:

this sort of thing isn't at all unusual
there was no similar handwringing about the disintegration of peaceful democracy when dylann roof successfully assassinated a state senator shooting up a church
but because its a bunch of white republicans on a baseball diamond that's beyond the pale unlike shooting up a historically black church i guess?

yeah there was

UberJew posted:

or when a motherfucker shot up a crowd at a grocery store in an attempted assassination on giffords
but again, she wasn't a republican so it wasn't a Serious Threat To Our Democracy who cares
I just checked wikipedia and it looks like his thing was mostly paranoid schizophrenia more than any firm political conviction. (and there was similar response)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/kellyweill/status/875096723781300226

quote:

Hodgkinson was the foster the father of at least two girls. The first, Wanda Ashley Stock, 17, committed suicide in 1996 by pouring gasoline on herself and setting herself on fire after a few months of living with the Hodgkinsons, the Belleville News-Democrat reports. The Hodgkinsons gave an interview to the paper after her suicide, calling her a “very practical, level-headed girl.”
Privacy laws do not allow the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to release foster records.
In 2002, Hodgkinson became the foster father of another girl whom he allegedly abused, according to police record.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

awesmoe posted:

Yeah I guess. People kill each other all the time while they aren't being oppressed, so it's not like they'll stop just because they are.

i don't think you got the point. they can't expect to constantly gently caress people over and not have a reckoning for their actions. i'm not defending what the guy did but it's surprising it has been relatively peaceful for them for so long.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What are they switching to? "The Darkness In Which Democracy Dies"?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
The concern is that this event could lead to escalation or retaliation

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

awesmoe posted:

I don't really think it is, frankly. They're threatening to kill hundreds of thousands of people with legislation to give tax cuts to the rich. That's actually a pretty good reason except for the fact that it won't actually stop them, since they're literally just empty suits who do what their rich owners tell them to and even if they were killed their replacement would be the same.

I just can't bring myself to have any sympathy for these people or have any reaction other than 'well what did you think was gonna happen, you monstrous piece of poo poo?'

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This guy's entire life was a disaster.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

theflyingorc posted:

And it most certainly will. Fortunately the shooter at least appears to have been white. Don't want to imagine the backlash if it were a minority.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BardoTheConsumer posted:

And it most certainly will. Fortunately the shooter at least appears to have been white. Don't want to imagine the backlash if it were a minority.

Harlem would've been razed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Self immolation?

what

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

theflyingorc posted:

Self immolation?

what

It's probably not a great way to go!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Holy gently caress, how do you give him another foster child when the first one self-immolated?!? :psyduck:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

I just checked wikipedia and it looks like his thing was mostly paranoid schizophrenia more than any firm political conviction. (and there was similar response)

Actually no, because I have been alive for more than six months and I actually remember those events they involved the president actively calling for calm, treating it like a normal crime and that our institutions were far more powerful than any individual with a gun could damage.

Apart from the specific case of the Palin ad putting a literal bullseye on giffords' district on a map the widespread media response by the entire democratic party was not to blame the event on republican rhetoric nor did a sitting congressman call either of them a 'political rhetorical assassination'

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

theflyingorc posted:

Self immolation?

what

quote:

Hodgkinson was the foster the father of at least two girls. The first, Wanda Ashley Stock, 17, committed suicide in 1996 by pouring gasoline on herself and setting herself on fire after a few months of living with the Hodgkinsons, the Belleville News-Democrat reports. The Hodgkinsons gave an interview to the paper after her suicide, calling her a “very practical, level-headed girl.”

Privacy laws do not allow the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to release foster records.

In 2002, Hodgkinson became the foster father of another girl whom he allegedly abused, according to police record.

In 2006, he was arrested for domestic battery and discharge of a firearm after he stormed into a neighbor's home where his teenage foster daughter was visiting with a friend. In a skirmish, he punched his foster daughter's then 19-year-old friend Aimee Moreland “in the face with a closed fist,” according to a police report reviewed by The Daily Beast. When Moreland's boyfriend walked outside of the residence where Moreland and Hodgkinson's foster daughter were, he allegedly aimed a shotgun at the boyfriend and later fired one round. The Hodgkinsons later lost custody of that foster daughter.

and he was allowed to have a gun because...?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't think you got the point. they can't expect to constantly gently caress people over and not have a reckoning for their actions. i'm not defending what the guy did but it's surprising it has been relatively peaceful for them for so long.

I get your point, I just disagree. angry people* are always going to feel hosed over by something and they'll feel justified in however they choose to respond. organized political violence is one thing, but this aint that.
*basing this on his criminal history, if the initial reports that I read were right

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

UberJew posted:

What? There was plenty of that

"'Vitriol' Cited As Possible Factor In Arizona Tragedy ... some are questioning whether divisive political rhetoric may have played a role."
"Has the nation's harsh political rhetoric become more than just talk — to the point of being dangerous? The attempted assassination of Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords as she spoke with voters outside a grocery store in Tucson fueled a debate Sunday over whether the sharp partisanship and anti-government language that now mark American politics have created a climate that makes violence against public officials more likely."
"Sarah Palin Criticized Over Gabrielle Giffords Presence on "Target List""
"Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' blood is on Sarah Palin's hands after putting cross hair over district ... But anyone with any sense at all knows that violent language can incite actual violence, that metaphor can incite murder. At the very least, Palin added to a climate of violence."

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

goodness i wonder why that's a concern here and wasn't with pinckney or giffords

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HappyHippo posted:

What? There was plenty of that

"'Vitriol' Cited As Possible Factor In Arizona Tragedy ... some are questioning whether divisive political rhetoric may have played a role."
"Has the nation's harsh political rhetoric become more than just talk — to the point of being dangerous? The attempted assassination of Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords as she spoke with voters outside a grocery store in Tucson fueled a debate Sunday over whether the sharp partisanship and anti-government language that now mark American politics have created a climate that makes violence against public officials more likely."
"Sarah Palin Criticized Over Gabrielle Giffords Presence on "Target List""
"Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' blood is on Sarah Palin's hands after putting cross hair over district ... But anyone with any sense at all knows that violent language can incite actual violence, that metaphor can incite murder. At the very least, Palin added to a climate of violence."

If you think any of that is actually analogous to the republican response to this shooting you are either wisely ignoring the news or a complete moron

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

awesmoe posted:

It's probably not.

There's no indication that this guy had any particular grievance or that he was being affected in a specific way by Republican policy so don't take this as a defense of what happened today, but people aren't going to just lay down and accept legislation that threatens them. We're talking about a political party that wants to pretend that black people aren't being gunned down in the streets, and that wants to put the shooters up on pedestals on top of that. We're talking about a political party that wants to pass "reform" that will literally result in tens or hundreds of thousands of deaths over the next 4+ years.

I'm not saying that violence is good, but it's probably inevitable. There are consequences to using democracy as an excuse to repeatedly gently caress already marginalized groups.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaboobi posted:

and he was allowed to have a gun because...?

because americans are morons who think having guns is more important than having healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Are you saying that you grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the attacks, but underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote?

• Locked thread