Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Holy gently caress, how do you give him another foster child when the first one self-immolated?!? :psyduck:

The foster system is incredibly hosed up at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Guys I stepped away for a second, is the thread consensus on "democracy is doomed" or not

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kaboobi posted:

and he was allowed to have a gun because...?

Because years of right wing lobbying

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SubG posted:

Are you saying that you grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the attacks, but underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote?

yes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
here's the tl;dr behind my socratic bullshit there might be a difference between violence in line with the rhetoric of actual republicans in congress or elected in the states, like giffords and pinckney, and violence in line with the rhetoric of at most some idiot on facebook and equating them in danger or even worse, considering the latter to be more dangerous than the former is republicans being crying, worthless cowards like they always are

this incident is not a threat to our democracy and the only reason to even entertain the idea that it is is because you think the actual danger is the republican legislature using it as an excuse to trend more fascist in response

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I seriously can't bring myself to visit a right wing cesspool like the_donald. Can anyone tell me what's going on there today? Calls for revenge? Straight up bloodlust for Dems?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This guy was like a walking Red Flag of "THIS MAN SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO OWN A FIREARM" on like a dozen different levels.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

At least we can all agree it's good that the shooter wasn't muslim. I don't see the GOP supporting a travel ban for angry white guys with guns.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Three! partisan responses(?):

Republicans: We should have had guns on the baseball field so we could have a Wild West shootout with the guy. We were totally defenseless other than our armed guards.
Democrats: Reasonable gun control would have kept guns out of the hands of a repeat offender with a recorded violent history. You would then not need guns to play baseball.
Third option: Incorporate guns into official baseball rules.

I am a little biased, and I did also write all of these, but I think it's clear which one is more reasonable.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I like that an ineffectual shooting is a sign of our democracy breaking down, unlike our president being in the pocket of a hostile foreign power and engaging in a mass cover-up

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/eschor/status/875079859135016960

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Isn't the point of DC gun control to protect lawmakers?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I like that an ineffectual shooting is a sign of our democracy breaking down, unlike our president being in the pocket of a hostile foreign power and engaging in a mass cover-up

Yeah it's dope

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Three! partisan responses(?):

Republicans: We should have had guns on the baseball field so we could have a Wild West shootout with the guy. We were totally defenseless other than our armed guards.
Democrats: Reasonable gun control would have kept guns out of the hands of a repeat offender with a recorded violent history. You would then not need guns to play baseball.
Third option: Incorporate guns into official baseball rules.

I am a little biased, and I did also write all of these, but I think it's clear which one is more reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpwbvFvn9W0

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

So I seriously can't bring myself to visit a right wing cesspool like the_donald. Can anyone tell me what's going on there? Calls for revenge? Straight up bloodlust for Dems?

They're extremely mad about the Trump/Caesar play and the media. They're always calling for democrats to be wiped out though.

edit: I mean when Macron got elected they were straight-up saying France needed a leader like Pinochet.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm honestly shocked we haven't had more shootings and the first one took this long.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

UberJew posted:

goodness i wonder why that's a concern here and wasn't with pinckney or giffords

...Because our country has a large number of insane right wing militia groups? What are you even trying to say?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

botany posted:

because americans are morons who think having guns is more important than having healthcare

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

...Because our country has a large number of insane right wing militia groups? What are you even trying to say?

UberJew posted:

here's the tl;dr behind my socratic bullshit there might be a difference between violence in line with the rhetoric of actual republicans in congress or elected in the states, like giffords and pinckney, and violence in line with the rhetoric of at most some idiot on facebook and equating them in danger or even worse, considering the latter to be more dangerous than the former is republicans being crying, worthless cowards like they always are

this incident is not a threat to our democracy and the only reason to even entertain the idea that it is is because you think the actual danger is the republican legislature using it as an excuse to trend more fascist in response

or insane right wing militias to go on a rampage as you mention, to be fair

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm honestly shocked we haven't had more shootings and the first one took this long.

The first in 2017? There's been over 150 mass shootings already this year.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Kaboobi posted:

and he was allowed to have a gun because...?
It's important to point out that the same people he targeted would, if you asked them yesterday, have been fully behind a person like him owning as many guns as possible even with that history. At least in any statement that the NRA would have a chance of hearing.

Their answer to this already is to have more armed people, and they will maintain that answer under any and all circumstances until every person in the nation is in a mexican standoff with eachother at which point our society will achieve the singularity

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Isn't the point of DC gun control to protect lawmakers?

scalia didn't think so.

Zophar posted:

The first in 2017? There's been over 150 mass shootings already this year.

this was the 195th.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If nobody can afford healthcare, gun violence will go down because everyone is afraid to incur the costs of a gunshot wound. bing-bong

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
there's a libertarian islamaphobe in one of my classes this semester that went off on a rant yesterday about how teachers should have guns to stop mass shootings

well, that's my story

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In the year 20XX, all that remains in the land once called America is THE GUN

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bhaal posted:

It's important to point out that the same people he targeted would, if you asked them yesterday, have been fully behind a person like him owning as many guns as possible even with that history. At least in any statement that the NRA would have a chance of hearing.

Their answer to this already is to have more armed people, and they will maintain that answer under any and all circumstances until our society reaches the singularity where every person in the nation in a mexican standoff with eachother

Hell, you could ask them today and they'd still say that

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

So I seriously can't bring myself to visit a right wing cesspool like the_donald. Can anyone tell me what's going on there? Calls for revenge? Straight up bloodlust for Dems?

I don't mean this to be mean to you, but why the gently caress do you care? The Donald is irredeemably awful, it is an absolute cess pool consisting of one giant race to the bottom of who can post the most evil thing for the sole purpose of farming up-votes. There is no discussion, there is no back and forth, and anyone who doesn't unconditionally agree with everything is instantly banned. It is always at 100% maximum overdrive to intentionally be as vile as possible. It isn't a place where right-wingers discuss things like Free Republic. There is literally nothing of value that can be discerned from The Donald and its retarded that people treat it like its some sort of gauge on what the other side thinks because it's intentionally meant to be worthless. They are saying the exact same things today as they would any other day. Picture the most offensive and vile thought you can and just assume that's what The Donald has on its page. So calls for revenge? Yes. Straight up bloodlust for Dems? Yes. But not because of what happened today, that's just what is always there.

Sorry for the rant but gently caress I hate that page and I despise Reddit for allowing it to exist. The less attention people pay to it the better.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 14, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This guy was like a walking Red Flag of "THIS MAN SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO OWN A FIREARM" on like a dozen different levels.

It doesn't matter. Our ability to have any kind of sane national discourse on guns is gone, if it ever existed at all (it probably didn't).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Phoix posted:

I mean when Macron got elected they were straight-up saying France needed a leader like Pinochet.

Lmao I wonder what they think of de Gaulle

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

UberJew posted:

or insane right wing militias to go on a rampage as you mention, to be fair

That's my major concern here. I have a Facebook friend who I didn't realize was insane until I saw him posting on Oathkeeper stuff, and he's kinda terrifying when he doesn't have an event to justify his crazy worldview. I'm legitimately concerned about the possibility of another OKC eventually coming out of this.

Not to the level of "I'm sure it will happen", but I think it's on the table.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

UberJew posted:

If you think any of that is actually analogous to the republican response to this shooting you are either wisely ignoring the news or a complete moron

ok but you didn't specify "republican" in your initial post, just that "there was no similar handwringing"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

ok but you didn't specify "republican" in your initial post, just that "there was no similar handwringing"

Are you allergic to the idea of context?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

there's a libertarian islamaphobe in one of my classes this semester that went off on a rant yesterday about how teachers should have guns to stop mass shootings

well, that's my story

as there are so many rampages i can't recall which one this was specifically, but a "good guy with a gun" almost got wasted by the cops responding to a rampage in progress because obviously in the chaos nobody knows who's the good guy or who's doing all the murdering.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

No puppet

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't the vote like 98 in favor of more sanctions for Russia.

He's gonna try to oppose that, isn't he.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

That's my major concern here. I have a Facebook friend who I didn't realize was insane until I saw him posting on Oathkeeper stuff, and he's kinda terrifying when he doesn't have an event to justify his crazy worldview. I'm legitimately concerned about the possibility of another OKC eventually coming out of this.

Not to the level of "I'm sure it will happen", but I think it's on the table.

it's a lot more difficult to get your hands on explosives these days without bumbling into an FBI honeypot

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

It doesn't matter. Our ability to have any kind of sane national discourse on guns is gone, if it ever existed at all (it probably didn't).

the gun control debate ended when 20 children were murdered in a classroom in newtown.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Brainiac Five posted:

Are you allergic to the idea of context?

The context was that a poster in the thread, who presumably is not a republican congressman, was saying this is bad for democracy?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't the vote like 98 in favor of more sanctions for Russia.

He's gonna try to oppose that, isn't he.

It's a veto proof majority so I can't wait to see him try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Holy crap, the vote was 97-2. (One senator missed the vote because of kidney stones, he also would have been a no)

If over 95% of the Senate agrees to oppose Trump on something. I don't see how he makes any progress with convincing the house to water it down.

• Locked thread