Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Rigel posted:

Holy crap, the vote was 97-2. (One senator missed the vote because of kidney stones, he also would have been a no)

If over 95% of the Senate agrees to oppose Trump on something. I don't see how he makes any progress with convincing the house to water it down.

But the House is even stupider than the Senate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Holy crap, the vote was 97-2. (One senator missed the vote because of kidney stones, he also would have been a no)

If over 95% of the Senate agrees to oppose Trump on something. I don't see how he makes any progress with convincing the house to water it down.

The GOP gets to gently caress over the Iran deal and move us firmly back into "perpetual middle eastern war", so it was a pretty good deal for them IMO.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The no votes were Mike Lee and Rand Paul

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
So who was the one senator that didn't?

e;fb

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the gun control debate ended when 20 children were murdered in a classroom in newtown.

Eh, that was just the moment that we stopped being able to pretend that there was still a discussion happening. The debate has probably been dead for at least a few decades thanks to right-wing media. There's just no way to fight a completely decentralized propaganda system that still manages to insist in unison that the smallest compromise is the first step to mass gun confiscations.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I found this : On June 13, 2016, Hillary Clinton Called for ‘Dedicated Team’ to Track Lone Wolf Terrorists

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

The context was that a poster in the thread, who presumably is not a republican congressman, was saying this is bad for democracy?

IDK if thats me but my 'this shooting is bad for democracy' is based on a) political violence tends to escalate and b) commonplace political violence is bad for many reasons, mostly that it leaves lots of people dead, also it discourages people from participating in the democratic process and also that it seems to lead to lovely legislative responses.
that's basically all and I dont have specific studies or analyses to back any of those points up, it's just my impression.

trump being president is bad for america but not bad for american democracy because american democracy contains the tools to deal with him (wait 3 years then vote him out).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, that was just the moment that we stopped being able to pretend that there was still a discussion happening. The debate has probably been dead for at least a few decades thanks to right-wing media. There's just no way to fight a completely decentralized propaganda system that still manages to insist in unison that the smallest compromise is the first step to mass gun confiscations.

This was heavily financed by the gun industry, as was the lobbying it took.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I was horrified by that shooting and the reactions to it that I haven't been able to care about the ones that have happened since.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I miss the halcyon days of last week when a candidate dropped out due to death threats and nobody gave a crap.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

This was heavily financed by the gun industry, as was the lobbying it took.

"[The Second Amendment] has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud— I repeat the word fraud, on the American people by any special interest group that I have ever seen in my lifetime.” - Chief Justice Warren Burger in 1991

Low Desert Punk posted:

I used to be very pro-gun until I actually looked at other countries, and saw that they have almost no problems with mass shootings will still having access to guns for recreation and sport for those that want it. America's gun laws just don't make sense when you look at other cases.

i was also the same way. also thanks to the fact the gun lobby made everyone misinterpret the second amendment.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I used to be very pro-gun until I actually looked at other countries, and saw that they have almost no problems with mass shootings will still having access to guns for recreation and sport for those that want it. America's gun laws just don't make sense when you look at other cases.

But those countries also don't have the ridiculous gun fetishization and culture that America does, so it's a little different

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
They should have just hit the bullets back at the shooter with the bats like monster party.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Three! partisan responses(?):

Republicans: We should have had guns on the baseball field so we could have a Wild West shootout with the guy. We were totally defenseless other than our armed guards.
Democrats: Reasonable gun control would have kept guns out of the hands of a repeat offender with a recorded violent history. You would then not need guns to play baseball.
Third option: Incorporate guns into official baseball rules.

I am a little biased, and I did also write all of these, but I think it's clear which one is more reasonable.

If baseball player had gun this wouldn't have happened:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rigel posted:

(One senator missed the vote because of kidney stones, he also would have been a no)

Oof, my condolences.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i mean, baseball players are a temperamental bunch. All it would take is for Jose Bautista to do a bat-flip and that entire park is going to be dead

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In bizarro world news:

California has passed a budget ahead of schedule with a surplus and no major spending cuts or tax increases.

at the same time...

The Governor of Washington state just announced that the state government is going to shut down in 2 weeks.

Good luck Seattle/Olympia goons. Make sure to take out the trash early and not be poor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's that distant pattering? A tiny bit of mattering?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bb98_story.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/875116130490355718

LEAKS :kingsley:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.4e78504e3aef

Here we go.

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist
Here's a thing:

quote:

The special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 election is interviewing senior intelligence officials as part of a widening probe that now includes an examination of whether President Trump attempted to obstruct justice, officials said.

The move by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III to investigate Trump’s own conduct marks a major turning point in the nearly year-old FBI investigation, which until recently focused on Russian meddling during the presidential campaign and on whether there was any coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...58e691d00000050

Edit: Turns out I'm not the only one with WaPo alerts on.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

What are they switching to? "The Darkness In Which Democracy Dies"?

Merica's Number One Three News Source.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Well, yeah? Isn't that the whole point?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

business hammocks posted:

Trump will just hit this back at them with a bat, like monster party

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ayyyyylmao

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

So Donnie is definitely going to try and fire him now, right?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

:getin:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it is, yeah. that headline is basically saying nothing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

business hammocks posted:

SoSimpleABeginning posted:

Here's a thing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...58e691d00000050

Edit: Turns out I'm not the only one with WaPo alerts on.

Guys I think Trump is getting investigated for obstruction of justice

Edit: But seriously, this was already assumed to be the case. Surprised it's headline news right now.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Let's hope this isn't a leak to get out ahead of Mueller's imminent firing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/875115677077704708

Sure, they might be terrorist sympathizers that we are condemning, but I don't see why I cant sell them planes

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
And just like that, the cloud of near terminal depression surrounding the Trump thread is dispelled, though in our hearts we all know it is not gone, merely lurking in the shadows behind our eyes, waiting for the mattering to stop again.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Is there any interpretation of the 97-2 vote that isn't straight up them tacitly admitting that they think Trump is compromised as gently caress?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zophar posted:

Let's hope this isn't a leak to get out ahead of Mueller's imminent firing.

Lets hope it is. Concrete stuff like that is the only thing that republicans can't just handwave off.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ostensibly the original point was to investigate the Russian interference in the election. It's not surprising that the scope has expanded to include Trump's obstruction, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Guys I think Trump is getting investigated for obstruction of justice

Edit: But seriously, this was already assumed to be the case. Surprised it's headline news right now.

its only news when its confirmed, and "the president is under investigation for a classic impeachable offense" counts as news once confirmed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Same Great Paste posted:

Is there any interpretation of the 97-2 vote that isn't straight up them tacitly admitting that they think Trump is compromised as gently caress?

you could argue that trump is not compromised at all but our allies are being silly and concerned he is and so this is just reassuring allies who really had nothing to worry about

you'd need a lobotomy first if you want to actually believe that, of course

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Trump last week: I've been vindicated, I'm not under investigation.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/875115677077704708

Sure, they might be terrorist sympathizers that we are condemning, but I don't see why I cant sell them planes

Escalate tensions to the point that they need to defend themselves, and then sell them the means to do so. Art of the deal. :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i am fully torqued.

• Locked thread