Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's a cool video. I haven't played either of the games they use as examples though, so I'll have to take their word for it

I do kinda want to play Yakuza 0 now though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

It's a good discussion.

You should post it to the Persona 5 spoiler thread. Or maybe you shouldn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

It's a cool video. I haven't played either of the games they use as examples though, so I'll have to take their word for it

I do kinda want to play Yakuza 0 now though!

I have heard very good things about 0 from fans of the series who are cognizant of the series' flaws.

DalaranJ posted:

It's a good discussion.

You should post it to the Persona 5 spoiler thread. Or maybe you shouldn't.

That seems like kicking a hornet's nest.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Decent discussion but lol at the claim that "pervy" isn't a near-perfect translation because of Japan being a special linguistic snowflake.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

You don't have to be a dick all the time you know. It's ok to take a break.

:ironicat:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Decent discussion but lol at the claim that "pervy" isn't a near-perfect translation because of Japan being a special linguistic snowflake.

It's not about Japan being special, there really are subtle terms between languages that can't always be directly translated. There are terms in English and French that don't have direct analogues and it can subtly change the meaning of phrases.

Mean.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched the extra credits video and, he's right

though the video basically boils down to saying yakuza 0 has some cute and smart bits of writing, and persona 5 has some weird and uncomfortable clashes with itself

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Will Yakuza 0 ever come to PC? It seems like it sold well worldwide, and Sega has been doing good stuff with ports recently, so... Could someone with more knowledge about this kind of thing enlighten me

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lurdiak posted:

That seems like kicking a hornet's nest.

In any case, both of those situations are made worse by their interaction with the well done Kamoshida stuff.

I thought they made at least an effort at showing that the Kawakami relationship wasn't coercive, but it would have been nice to have Kawakami specifically say something about it since you can't know her thoughts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Will Yakuza 0 ever come to PC? It seems like it sold well worldwide, and Sega has been doing good stuff with ports recently, so... Could someone with more knowledge about this kind of thing enlighten me

box says only on ps4. thats all i got.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/JumpButtonCB/status/874665325173886977

edit:

https://twitter.com/COGMONKEY/status/874665233318653954

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Coincidentally enough, Sega was talking about this exact thing

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/875115665014784002

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's not how you spell pachinko.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
suck my pachinpo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That Thief reboot is 5 dollars on psn. How bad is it? Big fan of the franchise, played the first 3 games, avoided this one because of everything I heard about it. Worth $5 on ps4?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

That Thief reboot is 5 dollars on psn. How bad is it? Big fan of the franchise, played the first 3 games, avoided this one because of everything I heard about it. Worth $5 on ps4?

play dishonored instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I already own Dishonored (twice actually), but I could never get into it.

How about Watch Dogs 2? I've heard good things, is the deluxe edition worth it? I'm not sure what the Urban Artist Pack and Street Punk Pack comprise...

Edit: v I figured. Thanks.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 15, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snak posted:

It's a funhouse mirror version of the classic Thief games distorted through a lense of perfunctory AAA gaming tropes. Very little to recommend it - don't bother. (it also has a truly horrible story)

edit: I found Watch Dogs 2 to be a nice spin on the typical Ubisoft Open World game provided you can swing the following:

1) below-average gunplay if you get caught (stealth is HIGHLY encouraged and supported)
2) a laughable take on hacking subculture that plays like the musings of a baby boomer who dialed into BBSes in the 90s and started extrapolating on what today's millenials find cool

It has a genuinely cool multiplayer mode that's good for a laugh, a fun setting, and cool super-hacker powers. It's worth 25 bucks IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Console monster hunter, shadow of the colossus, two metroid games, and zelda dlc :megadeath:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

what's this i hear about playing as coco in the entire original trilogy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pokken and Armz devs stepped up and just loving crushed the tournament winners at their own games. Nintendo plz.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looper posted:

what's this i hear about playing as coco in the entire original trilogy

They did a demo on the Sony stream and they showed Coco running around in the first game, saying that you can play as her in all three games

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unreal gold is pretty drat long, but i'm not minding it so much cause it manages to sprinkle a lot of variety in its level design and gives you progressively cooler guns, though the rifle is kind of a let down after getting a loving minigun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody! My fiancee and I just got back from the surprise party I planned for her so that was a lot of fun. :) She's very happy with the gifts she got and I'm happy I was able to do some good for her bday thanks to a very generous friend.

How is everyone else doing today? Everything going alright?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I got the abysmal PC port of Silent Hill 2 set up after several hours of fiddling with no less than three fix programs of various kinds, several dlls, a 2 GB FMV replacement pack, a fix for the fog being low quality on PC, and rebinding my d-pad on my controller to be mapped to the analog stick so I can walk. Overall, doing pretty well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
So I work at a bookstore as a used book buyer and while most days you don't see anything special (or literal boxes full of cat-themed murder mysteries), I recently found and immediately acquired these bad boys:

Unfortunately the Versus guide lacks the poster but on the other hand,

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you had told me as a kid that someday Mario would, in the same year, take up an overwatch position behind cover to blast dudes with a rifle, and also brainjack people to take control of their bodies, I wouldn't have believed you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

So I work at a bookstore as a used book buyer and while most days you don't see anything special (or literal boxes full of cat-themed murder mysteries), I recently found and immediately acquired these bad boys:

I kinda really wanna read some cat-themed murder mysteries because goddamn it's just such a *strange* genre to exist. I've gotta know if there are any that are actually good.

CJacobs posted:

I got the abysmal PC port of Silent Hill 2 set up after several hours of fiddling with no less than three fix programs of various kinds, several dlls, a 2 GB FMV replacement pack, a fix for the fog being low quality on PC, and rebinding my d-pad on my controller to be mapped to the analog stick so I can walk. Overall, doing pretty well.

I remember like 10 years ago seeing a funny post on another forum where a user was playing that version and was unable to pick up the gun that was in a shopping cart or whatever. Turns out, something about the game's settings made it so you could see absolutely perfectly fine in dark places, as if they were bright day, so he didn't even know the gun was locked behind a flag to turn on some lights. In other words, he could see a gun that James couldn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup! That's still a problem to this day! I had to turn the brightness down from the default to 0 to make the game not look fullbright. The PC port is truly awful.

edit: That said, it becomes actually pretty good once you've done all the tweaking I've done to it. Definitely not worth it when I could have just emulated it but that has its own suite of issues with the FMVs etc and dammit I'm invested now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I kinda really wanna read some cat-themed murder mysteries because goddamn it's just such a *strange* genre to exist. I've gotta know if there are any that are actually good.

There's so many it really is pretty much a subgenre of its own

Copycat Killing
Sleight of Paw
How to Wash a Cat
The Cat, The Collector and the Killer
Catnap
The Whole Cat and Caboodle
Cat on the Edge
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat
The Cat Who Said Cheese
The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern
The Private Life of the Cat Who... (idk either)
Kneading to Die
A Cat in the Manger
Cat Deck the Halls
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards
Cat in the Dark
The Cat Who Lived High
Cat in a Flamingo Fedora
Crime and Catnip

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Looper posted:

Copycat Killing
Sleight of Paw
How to Wash a Cat
Catnap
Cat on the Edge
The Cat Who Said Cheese
Kneading to Die
A Cat in the Manger
Cat Deck the Halls
Cat in the Dark
The Cat Who Lived High
Cat in a Flamingo Fedora
Crime and Catnip

As someone who likes murder mysteries as fluff reading, the Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun is genuinely fun and sweet. It's about a food reporter with a pair of siamese who solves mysteries and it's just... cozy. Really good for when you need a break. :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the term they usually use is "cozy" mysteries. Usually a gimmick like being about cats or teddy bears or skeletons where instead of CSI or Criminal Minds grit and grunge it's fluffy detectivework that won't upset grandma. I used to work a job with a lot of downtime that didn't allow electronics for security purposes so I spent a lot of time chewing through crappy thrift store novels and that is what makes up a lot of their stock.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

Copycat Killing
Sleight of Paw
How to Wash a Cat
Catnap
Cat on the Edge
The Cat Who Said Cheese
Kneading to Die
A Cat in the Manger
Cat Deck the Halls
Cat in the Dark
The Cat Who Lived High
Cat in a Flamingo Fedora
Crime and Catnip

I forget what chat thread I posted it in but I will always love the covers for the "Fat Cat Mysteries" trilogy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Am I right in assuming fat cat is the villain

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Looper posted:

do you work at book barn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

• Locked thread