Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The only thing I go to gencon to buy is shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LuiCypher posted:

I'll be happy to revise that by stating that last year, before regular attendees even stepped foot into the hall, VIGs bought every copy of SeaFall. You could not buy it if you had a regular badge - they were all gone basically before the con even started.

I will also say that this is not entirely the fault of the VIG program. I would argue that most of the blame falls on suppliers deliberate under-supplying (like a toy manufacturer) to create excess demand and driving hype. Plaid Hat is almost always guilty of this and (surprise surprise) they published SeaFall.

Case in point, Stonemaier brought a lot of boxes of Scythe with them, and even though it was a hyped and well-reviewed game they were able to meet the demand. I remember that they always held onto some so they had copies available to sell every day of the con.

SeaFall was sold out 5 minutes after those doors opened for early entry because they only brought 10 copies. I mean, I'm sorry that you didn't get to flip it on eBay for $500 and had to wait two months for it, but that poo poo's on pladhat. FFG deliberately makes the launch time of a Gen Con release noon to eliminate any potential VIG/Tradeday sell out.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

8one6 posted:

SeaFall was sold out 5 minutes after those doors opened for early entry because they only brought 10 copies. I mean, I'm sorry that you didn't get to flip it on eBay for $500 and had to wait two months for it, but that poo poo's on pladhat. FFG deliberately makes the launch time of a Gen Con release noon to eliminate any potential VIG/Tradeday sell out.

This is a weird idea, but he might have wanted to play it.

I do buy stuff at GenCon, but it's mostly RPG books I want to get signed. Pelgrane Press enables me by doing a 4 for 3 deal most years, plus no shipping! And I got X-Risks for Eclipse Phase way before it was otherwise available (in print, the pdf had been out) and got most of the authors to sign it, too.

For board games and other stuff I agree, but it's not like GenCon is cheap to start with and some people enjoy picking up cool stuff they see at the con.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Besides L5R and weird rear end small publisher boardgames that look awesome that I never heard of (Looking at you, best purchase of GenCon 2016 Council of Blackthorn) I'm pretty much only going to buy niche exclusives and RPG books that are cheaper buying in person than online thanks to shipping. poo poo no FLGS near me would ever carry. Standing in line for FFG 2 years in a row has learned me good.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I enjoyed the year I went to Gen-Con thinking "I wonder if Palladium ever made some fluff books relevant to my current campaign?" and I found the RIFTS booth and I found a book that seemed right up my alley and I noticed Kevin Siembieda was there and I had him sign it and left, and I realized I had basically never even noticed the RIFTS booth before, so I have decided it Brigadoon'd me hard.

Exmond posted:

I'd say you might be missing out on things if you go to gencon to just buy things. Go out to events or meetup with goons.
Gen-Con is too short for events :colbert: Granted my catchphrase has less resonance this year as I am signed up for a game and like six seminars BUT I still chafe at the idea of that much time spent cloistered in a little room instead of taking in the grand sweep of nerd history taking place all around.

Meeting Goons though, that is good for sure. I only successfully got together with one of the Goon Hordes like 3 times so far, but each time it was lots of fun. I also just antagonized Colts Grille to check their Nerd Trivia schedule, speaking of hordes.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Haystack posted:

The big exception being if you want to get something signed.

I'm thrilled my copy of space alert has a nearly illegible Vlaada signature

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, one of my top gencon moments was getting my Guide to Glorantha signed by all the authors and the cover artist.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If any of you need a downtown room there is one at the Hilton Garden Inn just sitting there on the housing portal, has been for a bit it looks like.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

8one6 posted:

:thunk:

If you read what you quoted, I'm saying I fundamentally agree with you on this point? I just felt bad that literally no one but VIGs/Tradeday folks had a shot at it because :Plaid Hat: and that seeing it happen killed my interest in the game. It does demonstrate a negative consequence of the program, however, in that it creates/reinforces the idea that you must be this VIG to ride.

I'll even say that it's not the fault of the program and is definitely the fault of the manufacturer, but that's not how your average con-goer is going to see it. When you feel like you need to be VIG to have a shot at something and then you find out you have no shot at being VIG, people are going to get salty.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sloober posted:

I'm thrilled my copy of space alert has a nearly illegible Vlaada signature

Vlaada looks and talks exactly like I'd expect.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

If any of you need a downtown room there is one at the Hilton Garden Inn just sitting there on the housing portal, has been for a bit it looks like.

I keep on missing these and it's driving me crazy.

EDIT:

I got downtown Hampton Inn so I'm finally set.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 9, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Best ever

LuiCypher posted:

I'll even say that it's not the fault of the program and is definitely the fault of the manufacturer, but that's not how your average con-goer is going to see it. When you feel like you need to be VIG to have a shot at something and then you find out you have no shot at being VIG, people are going to get salty.
Yeah I am sympathetic to the VIG-angry and VIG-dude-chill-out-bro camps, because there actually were years where the VIG did not need a lottery when announced for the upcoming year, which might suggest all the people furious about the lack of VIG availability are NEWBS LOL DID NOT EARN THEIR PLACE except...I personally never put in for VIG because it seemed pointless as I always just booked a hotel a year ahead of time, and lacked the foresight to imagine Gen-Con might suddenly double or potentially-this-year-nearly-triple in attendance over the span of a decade and that VIG Badges would be in retrospect the greatest possible investment in your Fun Future.

The point is, they actually could make it worse; just imagine if they started auctioning off all newly-available VIG badges and people found out that there are attendees who could (and would) drop 5 figures to attend Gen-Con! Or, even more excitingly terrible, if they stripped ALL the VIG badges and distributed them to the 500 highest bidders, I suspect all of which would be at least mid-4 figures! CAPITALISMMMMMmmmmmmm

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There's honestly no reason to buy anything at Gencon that you can't get at your FLGS unless it's a crazy good deal, which is rare, or exclusive to GenCon, which is also rare.

There are also game types that I will buy and never get on my game table with friends but I can find people who'd want to play at Gen Con.

Dr. Quarex posted:

The point is, they actually could make it worse; just imagine if they started auctioning off all newly-available VIG badges and people found out that there are attendees who could (and would) drop 5 figures to attend Gen-Con! Or, even more excitingly terrible, if they stripped ALL the VIG badges and distributed them to the 500 highest bidders, I suspect all of which would be at least mid-4 figures! CAPITALISMMMMMmmmmmmm

As a connoisseur of online drama, I want this to happen so I can read the Gen Con forums about how they're the most loyal fans and this isn't fair and we deserve our special privileges and now it's just rich people with the perks and...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I would be a VIG if I could swing it. I can't so I don't care.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I was going to go see if there was anything downtown available, rather then stay where I am on the north side. Turns out having a GM badge and not a Player badge means you can't get to the housing portal page. It got changed when I signed up for the First Exposure hall. Oh well, I already got parking anyway.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Currently heading to Origins Game Fair to quench my Ohio and Convention urges until Gen Con.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am off to Origins as well! Curious to see what I think of it this year compared to last.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just got two free 4-day passes through work. I've only been once before and I'm not a huge gamer. Is there anything that I absolutely have to check out?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For origins or gen con? If the former not sure, its just my second year here.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

nesbit37 posted:

For origins or gen con? If the former not sure, its just my second year here.

Oh my bad! Gen Con!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

pubic works project posted:

I just got two free 4-day passes through work. I've only been once before and I'm not a huge gamer. Is there anything that I absolutely have to check out?

First off, come out to SHOT WEDNSDAY with the goons
Check out the vendor hall and go to Games on Demand? (You show up and they make you do an RPG, someone else can explain this)
Join Group me and meet up with goons.

Do you have a favourite board game or Miniature game or RPG? GO to http://gencon.eventdb.us/index.php and search for that game, join a session of it!

What do you want to do at gencon is the big question? Do you want to see new things and play new things? Do you want to play big mega games that would be hard to organize before hand? Do you want to talk about RPGS and games?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Exmond posted:

First off, come out to SHOT WEDNSDAY with the goons

what is this

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think its when they drink beer on thursday

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Can I come to shots Friday or shots Saturday? Wednesday is family time, because they live in IN, and they are my excuse for taking off work to go to GenCon.

Also, any one interested in the late night events? Nerlesque or Cosplay Deviants? Seems both weird and overpriced for nerdy horndogs, but nevertheless entertaining perhaps.

Someone please give me an L5R ticket :(

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Okay I figured everything out I am no longer the worst

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Can I come to shots Friday or shots Saturday? Wednesday is family time, because they live in IN, and they are my excuse for taking off work to go to GenCon.

Also, any one interested in the late night events? Nerlesque or Cosplay Deviants? Seems both weird and overpriced for nerdy horndogs, but nevertheless entertaining perhaps.

Someone please give me an L5R ticket :(

So funny story about Cosplay Deviants...

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Do tell...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nobody tell them

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still can't watch Scooby Doo without being reminded of it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I will never reveal the Gen Con secret.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Haystack posted:

I will never reveal the Gen Con secret.

Let me show you my... tiger style.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I heard really good things about the nerdlesque last year - we did not have as much fun the last time we went to hentai dubbin / whatever it has become.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If you were in the GroupMe I'm sure you'd find out quickly about Cosplay Deviants

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the cd staff are loving weirdos

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Goons are loving weirdos too though

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You got that right

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Deviant posted:

the cd staff are loving weirdos

I am ruler of all weirdos, it true

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Currently heading to Origins Game Fair to quench my Ohio and Convention urges until Gen Con.

nesbit37 posted:

I am off to Origins as well! Curious to see what I think of it this year compared to last.
I knew I should have installed the Awful App(tm)

Granted I only had a total of about ten hours on-site at Origins despite getting to Columbus on Monday, but I still bet something funny could have happened as a result of our Goon Presence.

Also ugh Origins is bad

So bad

I do not mean to disparage the potential it has for allowing people to get together and play games and have a good time, as clearly there was fun gaming going on. But if you do not go to conventions primarily for gaming, then it matters that just about every single intangible (and even some tangible) thing that makes Gen-Con amazing is missing. Columbus' downtown is increasingly run-down and under construction and hard to navigate from last year (and definitely compared to ten years ago when I first went), the "Nerd Zone" Gen-Con creates where everything within like a 3-4 block radius becomes all about appealing to the Gen-Con attendee dollar and changing menus, signage, costumes, and attitudes to welcome you to the amazing event... well, at Origins, the convention's influence extends, uh, maybe five feet, as I think I maybe saw one crude Batman drawing on a store next to the convention center.

The extended convention center area itself was even under construction and had sometimes-broken escalators, and admittedly this hit me harder than it probably should have when I attempted to retreat to my last-year sanctuary coffee bar with comfortable seating and found only the entire area torn down to the concrete supports and a few construction workers staring at me.

Oh and the Exhibit Hall is about 1/10th the size of Gen-Con's, and admittedly I did still have a fine time wandering it for a couple of hours over two days, and certainly it provided most of my convention-related highlights. But mostly it just got me hyped up for the real thing in August.

O.K. and also Hot Chicken Takeover is maybe my favorite place to eat, barring perhaps Harry & Izzy's, at any convention.

WerrWaaa posted:

I will be at both the Thursday Nerdlesque and Saturday Cosplay Deviants events, because a friend/ex- wanted me to join her at the former and because I pledge my fiscal fealty to the latter.

Also I asked the Colts Grille on their Facebook page if they had any news on Nerdy Trivia and they never answered :mad: in fact it looks like they turned off their wall posts entirely? Or my browser hates me.

Oh and somebody posted this intriguing analysis of, uh, looks like the last 6 years' Auction results:
https://public.tableau.com/profile/robert.anderson#!/vizhome/GenConAuctionAnalysis/Dashboard

Suddenly I feel for the first time like time has passed more quickly than I realize, as I was like "where is the Gygax briefcase? It sold for more than...oh...oh no, was that 2010 or 2009? Oh no. I am now Gen-Con Old."

I like that you can sort by session and see that even TOVA has valuable things sometimes!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I've got an L5R clan dinner Thursday night but I'm not committed otherwise, and would love to hang out.

How do you carry poo poo around? I'm gonna have (and build) some card decks, and assumed I would bring an ultrapro case for those. But I'm also going to buy a bunch of New5R and RPG books, so I need a shopping bag, BUT ALSO water and snacks and poo poo, so I was thinking backpack. All three would be all together too much, so what's the best solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

WerrWaaa posted:

I've got an L5R clan dinner Thursday night but I'm not committed otherwise, and would love to hang out.

How do you carry poo poo around? I'm gonna have (and build) some card decks, and assumed I would bring an ultrapro case for those. But I'm also going to buy a bunch of New5R and RPG books, so I need a shopping bag, BUT ALSO water and snacks and poo poo, so I was thinking backpack. All three would be all together too much, so what's the best solution?

a roller suitcase, the bigger the better. A backpack could hurt your back and shoulders don't loving do this

Backpacks are fine. If your hotel/car is close, consider budgeting time to run back and drop poo poo off or do all your shopping another day.

• Locked thread