Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. Truck with no coolant guy was pretty salty when I offered him KBB fair minus a long block. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be more worried about what the coolant had done to the rest of the system in that condition, rather than the engine.

Which is to say, BMW levels of GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Are you certain of why it's out of coolant? Was it in the oil or just missing from the bottle?

You know it's not always a cracked block. I do agree with your offer, however.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
For anyone who's wondering: 13 tacos is a good number vis a vis number of tacos to eat in a single sitting.

Your new av rules

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd be more worried about what the coolant had done to the rest of the system in that condition, rather than the engine.

Which is to say, BMW levels of GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

And indicative of an inattentive owner. Not great on a high mileage vehicle.

rdb posted:

Are you certain of why it's out of coolant? Was it in the oil or just missing from the bottle?

You know it's not always a cracked block. I do agree with your offer, however.

No idea why. There wasn't even moisture in the bottle, so it had probably been like that for awhile. I pretty much stopped under the hood at that point, so no idea if that tree-fiddy was full of milkshake or what.

Really now, I'm grateful. If he had the presence of mind to check the fluids before posting the truck I probably would be driving a Silverado that would go pop the first time I tried to pull my boat up a hull.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I ask because those engines are not known to have those kinds of issues. Chances are it's on the original water pump and it's all run out the weep hole. Changing a water pump on one of those is all of a 30 minute, $20 job. I definitely think your offer was in line though. $5000 trucks are really $2000 trucks these days. People pay too much for some 200k mile heap, do nothing to fix it then try to pass the buck on when they get bored. This person seems particularly lazy if they can't even be bothered to top up the fluids.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it still had Dexcool in it when it started running low, it probably filled the cooling system with silt. That poo poo is evil.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have to laugh as the woman who just broke the world reord for kms on a bike did it all on Florida and is right now riding to break the the 100000 mile time record... 400kms a day.

Yeah she sounds a little nutty doing it this time of year, pretty dumb actually when the other non summer months of the year the weather is perfect to do something like that. But no, lets do it at the worst weather part of the year! Bonus points for not getting killed by lightning!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have to laugh as the woman who just broke the world reord for kms on a bike did it all on Florida and is right now riding to break the the 100000 mile time record... 400kms a day.

I think it's kinda lovely, tbh, to laugh at a guy who is concerned with the conditions of his day to day subsistence commute, and to do so by posting about an extreme nutter who does it as a hobby and a lifestyle.

You wouldn't mock an average joe who is fretting about being able to get to work because the beater car he can barely afford just blew its head gasket, laughing and pointing out that there are guys who build thousand horsepower V8 swaps into that same car, all in a weekend!

Or are you that kind of rear end in a top hat? :crossarms:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

rdb posted:

I ask because those engines are not known to have those kinds of issues. Chances are it's on the original water pump and it's all run out the weep hole. Changing a water pump on one of those is all of a 30 minute, $20 job. I definitely think your offer was in line though. $5000 trucks are really $2000 trucks these days. People pay too much for some 200k mile heap, do nothing to fix it then try to pass the buck on when they get bored. This person seems particularly lazy if they can't even be bothered to top up the fluids.

Oh yeah. I had hoped it would be an easy fix but with my luck the magic head gasket juice would have turned green. I'm still hoping that I'll find a truck that was well-maintained but has a new issue that the owner doesn't want to fix (read: transmission) and they are unloading it for slightly more than the dealer is offering in trade.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

have you seen one at a 4x4 funday? - you don't need the power! ;)

Also, I have just noticed that 2nd gen 4x4 panda's appear to be now under the £1500 point...

I wanted one 3 years ago when I got my Aygo but they were too expensive. They are not now!

What do i need to be aware of on 2005-2008 4x4 pandas with 70-90k miles on? I love the Aygo but after 140k the drivers seat is hosed and hurts my back and I want aircon and a sunroof and 5 doors...

That's a shame, I loving loved the Aygo/107 my -ex had. Proper successor to the original Mini that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Raluek posted:

I think it's kinda lovely, tbh, to laugh at a guy who is concerned with the conditions of his day to day subsistence commute, and to do so by posting about an extreme nutter who does it as a hobby and a lifestyle.

You wouldn't mock an average joe who is fretting about being able to get to work because the beater car he can barely afford just blew its head gasket, laughing and pointing out that there are guys who build thousand horsepower V8 swaps into that same car, all in a weekend!

answered your own question

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Raluek posted:

Did you loving read this thread - just the last bloody page in fact - where I directly suggested someone should be given the benefit of the doubt where it comes to dangerous riding conditions or were you too keen to dash off your post to see the context correctly? And I have a long history of saying bikes are fun but dont loving die riding?

Now go back and this time RCP the concept of "She's absolutly loving crazy"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So last night on the way back from Tampa, my work van's engine started making a noise. Pulled off the road, and once I started slowing down the oil pressure went down to zero. Shut it off, called my boss, got a tow to the dealership, got a temp van.

Got a call from my boss earlier today. Turns there was no oil in the engine and it was leaking coolant. :staredog: Needless to say, he wasn't too happy with the company that's been doing our oil changes :v:

The good news is that I got to drive one of the new Ford Transit vans today, and man, they are SO much better than the Chevy vans. So much more room, much faster and the acceleration is so much better. And I can actually stand up in the back. No more crouch walking trying to find parts. I really don't want to go back the the Chevy now.

Oh and for anyone saying Florida thunderstoms can't be that bad, yes, yes they can.
This is from a few hours earlier in Tampa:

Like, it will literally go from being cloudy, but calm, to full scale hurricane in minutes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah she sounds a little nutty doing it this time of year, pretty dumb actually when the other non summer months of the year the weather is perfect to do something like that. But no, lets do it at the worst weather part of the year! Bonus points for not getting killed by lightning!

When you are setting the most miles in a year you don't really get to not ride in a season. Same for fastest to 100,000 because that takes more than a year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha my wife just drove through that on the way home. Here on the beach we pretty much have to watch the radar constantly or before we know it we're in deep poo poo, people on vacation sure as hell don't pay attention so we have to for them.....Get out of the pool idiots! No, don't go on the beach morons you're a loving beacon for lightning out there!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

When you are setting the most miles in a year you don't really get to not ride in a season. Same for fastest to 100,000 because that takes more than a year.

On her year attempt she only dipped below 350kms a day once due to a hurricane. And even then is she did something like 160kms.

Crazy woman beat the women's year record by 80,000kms and the outright one by 17,000kms. Looking like she'll beat the 100,000mile record by 90 days.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ExplodingSims posted:

Like, it will literally go from being cloudy, but calm, to full scale hurricane in minutes.
Ah, Ford Focus dashboard.

Interesting in the US ones that the S position in my auto is marked as M.

Ummm, that's all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shoutout to the fucks who assembled my new-to-me office chair for using loving locktite on the armrest screws, recessing them deep enough that even if I had sockets here it would be a tight fit, and making the bolts out of cheese metal so the last one out stripped horrendously(E: with the phillips drive they oh so graciously included). I was having to push down on the screwdriver so hard, I actually developed and tore a blister on my palm in the 5 minutes or so it took me to get them all out. And that's just one side.

My fatman thighs are grateful for the effort, though. I may or may not be designing new, more spacious, laser-cuttable ones as we speak.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 15, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Got a call from my boss earlier today. Turns there was no oil in the engine and it was leaking coolant. :staredog: Needless to say, he wasn't too happy with the company that's been doing our oil changes :v:
Man if that happened to my work truck they'd be up my rear end, but we're expected to check the oil and coolant daily.

I mean...I don't... but I know if it was low on any fluid I'd get the blame, post haste.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

For anyone who's wondering: 13 tacos is a good number vis a vis number of tacos to eat in a single sitting.

Your new av rules

thanks dude :3:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryrobots posted:

Man if that happened to my work truck they'd be up my rear end, but we're expected to check the oil and coolant daily.

I mean...I don't... but I know if it was low on any fluid I'd get the blame, post haste.

Yeah, I mean, he wasn't happy, but like I told them, it was running fine that morning. It only started acting up at the end of the day.
Thought apparently the dealership said it wasn't leaking oil? So I suspect something else is up. They said it didn't do any irreparable damage though at least.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I was on the Gulf coast last week and yeah, the storms dump a serious amount of water down.

But worse than that is Florida drivers. Ohio driving is really bad, and Florida made Ohio look like precision dancing. It is really odd to see large clumps of traffic doing 78 in a 70, only to drop down to 64, only to go back to 78... and repeat that cycle over and over without any particular cause for the mass slow downs.

I rented a Prius to see what they were like. I like the premise, and setting the dash to full-on video game mode is kinda fun, but I have never seen a more nagging, nanny-ing car in my life. Backup beeps for those inside the car only, hyperactive lane departure, all kinds of nags. But if the radar cruise thought it was too close to the car in front, it would fully turn disengage cruise without a peep. loving weird and annoying.

So yeah, it was a very Florida trip.

You can turn half that poo poo off in a deep sub-menu and most of the rest off with a Bluetooth code reader and torque or what have you. Also found it funny today on TTAC where a writer had such a poo poo show time with a rented $42k Durango and its start-stop engine (it turns the ac off wtf?) and the little shitbox baby Prius C I bought has near instant cold no motor running AC and it obviously keeps it on non-stop WTF FCA?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

It's hard to explain FL thunderstorms to people who aren't familiar. There may not be tornadoes, or softball-sized hail, but the sheer volume of rain dumping down can get ridiculous and the lightning is ever-present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgHTXMswG0

They're not all like that, of course, but it's typical enough that the risk just isn't worth it.

Oh my god. It's... it's beautiful. :allears: I'd hate to be caught outside in that though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Oh my god. It's... it's beautiful. :allears: I'd hate to be caught outside in that though.

Oh, it's great to watch from a safe spot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You haven't lived until you've felt the spooky static from lightning seconds before it strikes a transformer above your head :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Been there, at least with the static (neighbor's giant ham antenna got hit while I was on my patio).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its gorgeous unless I'm at work. Then I die inside because I won't have a customer for at least 2 hours after it finishes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Looks like it's baby o'clock y'all! Just got admitted to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. This little dude is about to make his entrance :woop:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Did you loving read this thread - just the last bloody page in fact - where I directly suggested someone should be given the benefit of the doubt where it comes to dangerous riding conditions or were you too keen to dash off your post to see the context correctly? And I have a long history of saying bikes are fun but dont loving die riding?

Now go back and this time RCP the concept of "She's absolutly loving crazy"

Sorry about that, I guess I lumped you in with the group who was condescending about his reluctance to ride when that was obviously not reflected in your earlier posts. My bad, you didn't deserve that

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Looks like it's baby o'clock y'all! Just got admitted to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. This little dude is about to make his entrance :woop:

Congrats :toot: hope everything goes well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've been on holiday 3 times to Florida during summer and the rainstorms were pretty much a daily event from what I remember. The humidity would build all morning to the point where you just drip sweat constantly, the sky would crack and you'd get drowned by fat rain for 20 minutes or so and then the sun would come out again. The short period after the rain before the humidity built again was wonderful, as was the actual rain. I live in a country with cold rain so when you visit a place where the sky water's as warm as a tepid shower you don't really mind getting soaked as much.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hope all runs smoothly

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

*avatar turns out to be prophetic, doctors are baffled*

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Good luck!

How are you going to fit a third kid seat into the m3?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think I was about the only person left on the planet that never saw a single second of Game of Thrones, so borrowed S1 from the library yesterday. Had enough time to watch E1 last night.

That was ... a thing. I could see some binge watching in my future.

:catstare:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Congrats man

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

*avatar turns out to be prophetic, doctors are baffled*

Hell yeah, welcome baby Heroic coupe!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

I think I was about the only person left on the planet that never saw a single second of Game of Thrones, so borrowed S1 from the library yesterday. Had enough time to watch E1 last night.

That was ... a thing. I could see some binge watching in my future.

:catstare:

Almost every time something gets hyped to the moon and back it's meh. Almost.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ugh, man. My dad's had kidney failure since October, and he's actively looking for a donor. He has five siblings but they're all apparently too old to be a donor. I have two brothers, but one is on high blood pressure medication and probably couldn't be a donor.

I really don't want to do it. Am I a selfish rear end in a top hat? He hasn't asked me but I'm sure he never would.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You are not selfish because donating a kidney opens you up to complications later. It is not something that you should just do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CornHolio posted:

Ugh, man. My dad's had kidney failure since October, and he's actively looking for a donor. He has five siblings but they're all apparently too old to be a donor. I have two brothers, but one is on high blood pressure medication and probably couldn't be a donor.

I really don't want to do it. Am I a selfish rear end in a top hat? He hasn't asked me but I'm sure he never would.

Why does he need a kidney? Is it due to a life of poor dietary choices? I have a really hard time finding sympathy for those types of people, since their refusal to eat like a responsible adult means that you may have to undergo serious surgery just to prolong their lives, which will most likely be artificially shortened anyway due to other issues having to do with lifestyle.

What I'm getting at is that if you're on the fence about it and the need for the transplant is his fault, keep your kidney.

If it's for a reason other than lifestyle choice, you're a bad son (just kidding, it's an extremely difficult decision either way).

So basically I have no advice for you.

HTH

• Locked thread