Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

I like that the argument "internment was justified because Japan attacked us, maaaaaan" is straight-up ignored by the Bernouts, the most moral political ideology in the world.
No one said that? The argument was that comparing Hillary loving Clinton to FDR was really really stupid and self serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Me: It's defending internment to say that Japan being at war with the USA is at all relevant to internment.

Bernie Voter: u a child molesting rapist and nazi

Mods: *ban me with "pedophile fascist" as the reason*

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

No one said that? The argument was that comparing Hillary loving Clinton to FDR was really really stupid and self serving.

Learn to read rudatron hahaha.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fortunately the Democratic party didn't used to be a personality cult for career politicians, so it was able to change and recognise that internment was wrong, and condemn it. Rather than demanding Japanese internment and Jim Crow be respected forever because FDR was doing them or at least fine with it happening during his administration.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Brainiac Five posted:

I like that the argument "internment was justified because Japan attacked us, maaaaaan" is straight-up ignored by the Bernouts, the most moral political ideology in the world.

I ignored it because he used it to differentiate two positions rather than outright state that internment was good. It's fair to infer he might be defending internment from his post and ask him to clarify, but nobody approaching this debate honestly really believes Majorian thinks internment is cool because we have context on his beliefs from other posts he's made so nobody has bothered. I'm sure if someone being genuine asked him to clarify he would just say "no internment was not good" and we'd have wasted our time asking.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like the "career politicians" in that, as if the ideal society rejected division of labor.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Futuresight posted:

I ignored it because he used it to differentiate two positions rather than outright state that internment was good. It's fair to infer he might be defending internment from his post and ask him to clarify, but nobody approaching this debate honestly really believes Majorian thinks internment is cool because we have context on his beliefs from other posts he's made so nobody has bothered. I'm sure if someone being genuine asked him to clarify he would just say "no internment was not good" and we'd have wasted our time asking.

So the argument is that Majorian is so loving stupid he defended internment entirely by accident. Why do you let this guy post again?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Please, b5, just stop undermining democracy across the globe! I know you like to destroy peoples lives for fun, but just show some mercy!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

So the argument is that Majorian is so loving stupid he defended internment entirely by accident. Why do you let this guy post again?

You have become literally incapable of reading reality correctly anymore, I'm so sorry for your loss.

B5, please stop defending Hillary Clinton's slave owning.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

You have become literally incapable of reading reality correctly anymore, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I want you to explain how "Japan attacked us" is at all relevant to the question, WampaLord. Don't assume that Majorian must be good because he joins in your snuff fantasies about Hillary Clinton. Just explain that, if you have enough brains to.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Please effec, just please, PLEASE, stop raping starving african war orphans.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
This is what a defense of slavery looks like:

rudatron posted:

FDR died like 70 years ago, was a great statesman who made a lot of positive changes. Internment wasn't great, but in the context of the time wasn't that noticeable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

I want you to explain how "Japan attacked us" is at all relevant to the question, WampaLord. Don't assume that Majorian must be good because he joins in your snuff fantasies about Hillary Clinton. Just explain that, if you have enough brains to.

You've caught me, I actually lust for Japanese internment and can't wait until Bernie unveils it as his main strategy plank for 2020.

How about go back and read the posts again, but somehow do it while not being you?

e: VVVV :ironicat:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nosfereefer posted:

Please effec, just please, PLEASE, stop raping starving african war orphans.

It warms the cockles of my heart to think that posting like this is what the crack team of mods and admins believe is the height of discourse.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

You've caught me, I actually lust for Japanese internment and can't wait until Bernie unveils it as his main strategy plank for 2020.

How about go back and read the posts again, but somehow do it while not being you?

That didn't answer the question, especially since you assumed I was accusing you rather than Majorian and rudatron. Don't be so paranoid.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

It warms the cockles of my heart to think that posting like this is what the crack team of mods and admins believe is the height of discourse.

I see that you still condone the sexual exploitation of african war orphans. nice eff, nice

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

That didn't answer the question, especially since you assumed I was accusing you rather than Majorian and rudatron. Don't be so paranoid.

Majorian doesn't condone Japanese internment. No one in this thread is defending/condoning Japanese internment. If anyone is/was, I stand corrected, but I feel confident in making that claim.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

JeffersonClay posted:

This is what a defense of slavery looks like:

No it's not. That is what defending FDR looks like. You can defend people without defending the bad things they did. For example by pointing out the good things they did alongside the bad. Like in the post you quoted.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

btw, eff, you still haven't answered for your recent torture of a newborn babe

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Majorian doesn't condone Japanese internment. No one in this thread is defending/condoning Japanese internment. If anyone is/was, I stand corrected, but I feel confident in making that claim.

Can you answer the loving question? Can you think for just one goddamn minute out of your life? Can you stop engaging in reflexive apologetics for the grunting CHUDs who post in this thread about how much they're obsessed with a 70something woman?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I find it hard to believe 'people are a product of their time' is proving that controversial.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Futuresight posted:

No it's not. That is what defending FDR looks like. You can defend people without defending the bad things they did. For example by pointing out the good things they did alongside the bad. Like in the post you quoted.

Calling internment "not that noticeable" defends it.

Rudatron doing so, given that he defends the Stolen Generations and believes in "honor culture", is unsurprising.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Can you answer the loving question? Can you think for just one goddamn minute out of your life? Can you stop engaging in reflexive apologetics for the grunting CHUDs who post in this thread about how much they're obsessed with a 70something woman?

Can you have an honest discussion without projecting whatever insane views you have onto everyone else? Reading way too much crazy into words that express none? Stop defending centrists?

All this and more on the B5 show!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't do either of those things my man.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Interning tens of thousands of people for being Japanese is a lot like wearing a leisure suit or dancing to the Charleston, I guess.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

effectronia just wants to lick the virgin blood of a thousand youths, and still have not apologized for this atrocity. you are a sick human being, eff

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Can you have an honest discussion without projecting whatever insane views you have onto everyone else? Reading way too much crazy into words that express none? Stop defending centrists?

All this and more on the B5 show!

So, you refuse to think about why Majorian's statement would be relevant to his post. If you all refuse to think about anything, can you really be said to be human?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

why does effectronica support grinding all people of african decent into dog meat?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Brainiac Five posted:

It makes it a very different type of wrong.

"I interred the Japanese people in our country when we went to war with Japan due to war-time paranoia."

and

"I used black inmates as slaves and justified their use with phrenology because it was convenient to use them as slaves."

Are very different types of wrong. Both wrong of course. But the second reveals just a complete callousness and willingness to use anybody for any reason if it helps you. The first one is fear. Fear makes people do some dumb poo poo. Especially when the stakes are huge like in a world war. The second one was done in cold blood to save money.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

why does eff never respond to these critical points? well, eff might be an isis militant

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

c'mon, eff, at least own up to your support of lynching, you sick bastard

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

So, you refuse to think about why Majorian's statement would be relevant to his post. If you all refuse to think about anything, can you really be said to be human?

Unlike you I don't devote vast portions of my day reading into every word on every post to find the least charitable interpretation of it and then accuse the poster of being a terrible opinion haver.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Futuresight posted:

lol the post I quoted said it happened a long time ago and it wasn't noteworthy given the social mores of the time. That's the archetypal defense of slavery.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Futuresight posted:

It makes it a very different type of wrong.

"I interred the Japanese people in our country when we went to war with Japan due to war-time paranoia."

and

"I used black inmates as slaves and justified their use with phrenology because it was convenient to use them as slaves."

Are very different types of wrong. Both wrong of course. But the second reveals just a complete callousness and willingness to use anybody for any reason if it helps you. The first one is fear. Fear makes people do some dumb poo poo. Especially when the stakes are huge like in a world war. The second one was done in cold blood to save money.

So in other words, internment was justifiable and excusable. Wow, I am sure WampaLord will apologize and admit he was wrong any second now.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Unlike you I don't devote vast portions of my day reading into every word on every post to find the least charitable interpretation of it and then accuse the poster of being a terrible opinion haver.

If it takes you most of a day to think about a single sentence, you are legally a sea urchin.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JeffersonClay posted:

lol the post I quoted said it happened a long time ago and it wasn't noteworthy given the social mores of the time. That's the archetypal defense of slavery.
Slavery had already been outlawed by other countries by the time of the civil war, and abolition as a movement had already existed for a while, and gained traction. Its not a valid comparison.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

So in other words, internment was justifiable and excusable. Wow, I am sure WampaLord will apologize and admit he was wrong any second now.

A loving perfect example of you reading what you want to see and not actually reading the post. Here's the important part:

Futuresight posted:

Both wrong of course.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

braniac five actually evicted a mexican family because he didnt like the color of their skin

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

i love the fact that eff actually owns an estate with a million slave workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

A loving perfect example of you reading what you want to see and not actually reading the post. Here's the important part:

Shoving people is also wrong, so clearly shoving someone is identical to internment. Leaving alone the idea that actively imprisoning a hundred thousand people for their race is somehow morally better than passively observing racism and making racist comments about it.

• Locked thread