Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm really confused why the WPN site still asks me every time what language I want, what country I'm in, and in 2017 asks me if I want to use cookies.

The cookies thing I think they have to ask. At least here in Europe anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hot take: The Unglued lands look better than Unhinged, because the frame is better.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Hot take: The Unglued lands look better than Unhinged, because the frame is better.
:yeah:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

tzirean posted:

I bought ten of each Guay land from Commander 2016 and use them in my standard decks, and they blow people's minds. Admittedly, that's partly because everyone else who isn't using lands from the land station is using BFZ full-arts.

loving el oh el if you're not using signed unlimited basics. Why yest that is a white border, with the word tap, and Jesper Myrfors, or Mark Poole, or Dan Frazier's signature

No Christopher Rush though :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

loving el oh el if you're not using signed unlimited basics. Why yest that is a white border, with the word tap, and Jesper Myrfors, or Mark Poole, or Dan Frazier's signature

No Christopher Rush though :(

Your dreams are deader than Rush is.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Your dreams are deader than Rush is.

Also is Douglas Schuler alive?

Edit: Holy poo poo he is

Edit 2: he spells his name differently than on his magic cards????

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

OgreNoah posted:

Also he said X2 was bad, I will fight him.

Seriously.

Some Numbers posted:

This isn't a hot take, it's a fact.

Also everyone has different lands from the commander lands that are good. I like Mark Poole's swamp and plains and Kev Walker's mountain.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

Also is Douglas Schuler alive?

Edit: Holy poo poo he is

Edit 2: he spells his name differently than on his magic cards????

I have a few cards signed by him in 2011.

His name seems to be misspelled on cards printed in Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited, because it's spelled "Shuler" on the Arabian Nights edition of Mountain and anything after that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I have a few cards signed by him in 2011.

His name seems to be misspelled on cards printed in Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited, because it's spelled "Shuler" on the Arabian Nights edition of Mountain and anything after that.

Stop please, I can only love my unlimited basics so much.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

Stop please, I can only love my unlimited basics so much.

Everything you ever wanted is a lie.

Despair.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Everything you ever wanted is a lie.

Despair.

White border, the word tap, misspelled artists name, artist signature. People are going to hate them, I've never been so excited!

Maybe I can use the black border perfect fits on those, and white border perfect fits for all my other cards.

Play a white border fetch, to fetch a black border basic, to cast a white border judge-foil Noble Hierarch.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Mikujin posted:

If this is true then we likely won't see another Un-set after this (except for maybe after another dozen years).

Ultimately, WotC/Hasbro is in the business of making money. Un-sets don't do that, because once everyone gets over the novelty of drafting a funky format, and after your LGS has their one or two novelty Un-set Format FNMs, no more product moves because nothing is there to drive product sales. Unhinged was fortunate to have black-bordered full-frame full-art basics, which still didn't move packs enough to make it seem worth it.

There will absolutely be something included in the set to help drive sales - even if it's just "Full Art Land in every pack."

This won't happen, but a few years ago I thought "Hey, if there was another Un-set they could put silver-bordered Chaos Orb into it as a mythic— the reserved list only stipulates cards on it can't be reprinted in black borders, and Chaos Orb isn't actually legal in any formats anyway." I also thought they could put one card into it with a special border that meant it that was not only standard legal, but legal in all standards until the end of time. I fully realise these are really terrible ideas.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I like the Lorwyn lands the best.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

tzirean posted:

I bought ten of each Guay land from Commander 2016 and use them in my standard decks, and they blow people's minds. Admittedly, that's partly because everyone else who isn't using lands from the land station is using BFZ full-arts.

Yeah my limited box is all guay lands and it rules

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

bigperm posted:

I want Omar Rattan back!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a single Unglued Mountain in my RG Breach deck and I always get compliments on it when I manage to get it into play. I feel like I have one or two other Unglued basics but I have no idea where they are.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After the Dominaria set, let's go back to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor and stay there. Forever.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bigperm posted:

There's not a damned thing wrong with the Lorwyn basics.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

tzirean posted:

There's not a damned thing wrong with the Lorwyn basics.

They're all diptychs :swoon:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

lol if you prefer Mark Poole over Kev Walker or Rebecca Guay

Every C16 land was really good and it was almost a waste just to have them in there.

The FTV could be only double-faced, because there is always chaff in these.

Delver
Mayor
Avacyn
JVP
Garruk
Liliana/Nissa
Huntmaster
Thing in the Ice
Abbey
Elbrus
Bloodline Keeper (which is a $5 card somehow)

Would be excellent value.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 15, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Mountains from Urza's Saga are probably still my favorite lands of all time.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Since the new unset probably won't be online, I probably won't draft it more than a couple times. Just as someone who thinks Magic is cool, I'm sad there isn't room for a creative set project that maybe doesn't sell well. In my experience it's a critical part of keeping your employees happy and well balanced to allow them room for creative exploration. And giving Mark Rosewater an unset as part of a seven year sabbatical seems perfect for this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:toot:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magic Story Update:
Liliana says "woof"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

Magic Story Update:
Liliana says "woof"

This is not a joke

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my favorite recent basic land art is the Temur forests from KTK https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/267 https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/268

basically I want more land art that looks like black metal album covers, or caspar david friedrich paintings

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jenx posted:

The cookies thing I think they have to ask. At least here in Europe anyway.

That's fine and all but, in another stunning display of incompetence, WOTC doesn't bother to set a cookie to remember that you clicked "yes, set a cookie to remember that I said it's ok to set a cookie and save my language preference."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Star Man posted:

After the Dominaria set, let's go back to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor and stay there. Forever.

Unironically, gently caress YES.

Shadowmoor was a goddamn amazing set. I still want to make a Shadowmoor Cube, because that limited format was amazing.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So what are the chances of this new MTG game announcement coming in September being them finally making their digital offering not-garbage? I've been wanting to play some Magic again since forever, but I can't really make time for paper and dislike MTGO.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WarEternal posted:

So what are the chances of this new MTG game announcement coming in September being them finally making their digital offering not-garbage? I've been wanting to play some Magic again since forever, but I can't really make time for paper and dislike MTGO.

It would not make sense to shutter magic duels if it was actually a replacement for mtgo. It's going to be more in the duels category.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

WarEternal posted:

Given their track record, my honest guess would be between five and ten percent. It will be a hearthstonized duels that will pay lip service to being a serious choice for competitive players and will be missing a lot of polish.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Revised basics best basics

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

WarEternal posted:

It's going to suck. There has never been a good Magic digital product. Even gatherer's comment section has been broken for 5+ years.

Anyone remember the official deck builder/life counter for your phone that would crash and not save any of your changes if you got a call while using it?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If they were sensible,they'd be unveiling Magical Digital Next as a replacement for Duels, with the intention of stress testing it there and using the same platform to replace MTGO some time later.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Revised basics best basics

that's not Revised

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

n1tro posted:

that's not Revised

When did they print black-bordered basics with the T tap symbol?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Star Man posted:

You can't fool us again Oona. Get out of here.

Voyager I posted:

The Mountains from Urza's Saga are probably still my favorite lands of all time.

The Mountains are the only lands from Urza's that I'm not that fond of. I like the Tempest ones more.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lawnie posted:

Revised didn't have a copyright symbol I think.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lawnie posted:

(check the artist line)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

TheChirurgeon posted:

Last 5 seconds of the video. Someone will transcribe it today

Going back to the video, I finally watched it now that I'm home from work. At ~2:01 the Art Director is showing off some of the Hour of Devastation art...anyone want to take an over-under of the big lightning picture right behind his head being actual Bolt?