Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mikl posted:

I admit I was wrong in proposing to take Tagzir from Morocco, but who could have foreseen such an alliance forming?

Well, what's done is done. Right now, we can't focus on making money with all this shooting of guns and swinging of blades. Peace. Peace is good for business. Plus if we declare peace it'll maybe confuse the hell out of our enemies.

I propose the Peace For Our Time Act: make peace with France and Morocco, as long as the peace terms do not involve any loss of territory in the colonies.

First off, the fact they previously had an alliance should have been your first clue.

Second, we have bought peace already. If you paid more attention to current events when you were drafting legislation, we wouldn't be in this mess. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

What, do I look like a clerk? Paying attention to current events is beneath a merchant!

*An aide urgently whisper into Mikl's ear*

Or past events either! The only way to go is the future!

Peace For Our Time Act, Revised - make diplomatic overtures and try to ally with France and/or Morocco, if at all possible. Just imagine! Together we will be unstoppable!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hashim posted:

Four of the five colonies needed to establish a Louisiana colonial nation are already self-sustaining, so if paragon's proposal passes, I'll just finish up the fifth and then change the focus.

Okay then. I rescind my proposal and support:

paragon1 posted:

I propose the We Need Tequila Now Act Establish 5 colonies on the mainland of Mexico.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rodyle posted:

Taifas, huddle up!

Now, as to the Jizrunids, which royal rules is royal business, and not for we humble servants to stick our soft, fleshy necks into. With that said, I propose a bill for all of Al-Andalus! Even for our opposition parties, who sunk the Iberia-spanning super power we created into bankruptcy and civil war! It's almost like merchants are meant to advise, while imams and bootlickers are meant to be silent backbenchers!

The Mountains and the Sea
-An all mandates and quotas granted and demanded by Al-Andalus Under Arms are renewed
-Forbids aggressive action without sufficient funds or manpower, though what is deemed sufficient is at the sultan's discretion (save that there be no outstanding loans).
-Demands the construction of fortresses along the Pyrenees, to slow French advance
-in any conflict with France or Morocco, priority is to be given first with severing their alliance, and second to severing any relationship they possess with Iberian minors.
-in event of war with Morocco, the Navy is to block the straits to prevent Berber access to Al-Andalus
-Aggressive action against France or Morocco is only to be taken in the event that France is already distracted by another major conflict. Morocco's engagement or lack thereof isn't relevant.
-The capital is returned to Cadiz sure why not

Not to be a stickler, but this looks like 6 to 7 different proposals, with an extra just tacked on from another person.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Policies so far:

Luhood posted:

I propose the simply named Bavarian Alliance Act. We need to ally with Bavaria as a means to protect ourselves from the French and our so called "Muslim Brothers" in Morocco. Only then, when we are safe from the overbearing sword of our rivalling neighbours, can we start even thinking about rebuilding.

Luhood.

Rodyle posted:

The Mountains and the Sea Act
Full list of demands here.

Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Dick Trauma.

Erwin the German posted:

I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with the Vakhtani Caliphate, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

Erwin the German, AJ_Impy, Ralepozozaxe, devildragon777.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Muslim Brotherhood Act: Prioritize cultivating a strong alliance with another Muslim power.

GunnerJ, Yvonmukluk, Talas.

paragon1 posted:

I propose the We Need Tequila Now Act Establish 5 colonies on the mainland of Mexico.

paragon1, GunnerJ, Captain Oblivious, Crazycryodude, Frionnel.

Mikl posted:

Peace For Our Time Act, Revised - make diplomatic overtures and try to ally with France and/or Morocco, if at all possible. Just imagine! Together we will be unstoppable!

Mikl.

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Noble Sultana, Save Us from Ourselves which entails kissing up and making nice and developing as many allies as we can in this time of weakness and cupidity on the part of her disloyal snakelike Majlis.

TildeATH, Archaeology Hat, RZApublican.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 14, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Not to be a stickler, but this looks like 6 to 7 different proposals, with an extra just tacked on from another person.

The problem with bigger policies, like Rodyle's, is that there's a much smaller chance of me actually being able to carry them through. I'll try to carry out the Mountains and Sea Act if it passes, but there's no way I'll be able to get through all it's demands, so the Taifas will have to support it at their own risk.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Erwin the German posted:

My fellow Ulema, it is clear that our survival requires the patronage of a Muslim power on equal footing to us, one that has reached out to us before, yet we senselessly turned away in our boundless pride...

I refer, of course, to the Vakhtani Caliphate. I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with them, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

I also support this. We need to stop fighting among our fellow Muslim brethren.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Erwin the German posted:

My fellow Ulema, it is clear that our survival requires the patronage of a Muslim power on equal footing to us, one that has reached out to us before, yet we senselessly turned away in our boundless pride...

I refer, of course, to the Vakhtani Caliphate. I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with them, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

Allah has spoken through the words of this Imam. All of the Ulema have seen that. I too support His will!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I support this venture.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hashim posted:

Just to make sure, is this only for the Taifas or are you proposing it as a coalition? If it is a coalition, you'll need to announce who's partnering you. If you want a greater likelihood of it passing, then it'd be better for it to be restricted to the Taifas.

Also, starting from the next policy session, I'll probably put a block on moving the capital except under certain circumstances. Can't be moving everyone around every couple years. I might even move it to Cordoba, as a compromise between the two options.

Only Taifas

E: I am attempting to craft standing policy for the Taifas. You don't necessarily need to hit every demand, just be aware of what we generally expect. I think this is better than us just asking for, say, the building of barracks for decades at a time.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 15, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

paragon1 posted:

I support this.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

I propose the Keep Converting Act where we commit to converting as many provinces as we can to Sunni Islam. I don't know when is the next time the Ulama might be strong enough to convert provinces on our own, so I want us to take advantage of our moment of relative strength.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Snipee posted:

I propose the Keep Converting Act where we commit to converting as many provinces as we can to Sunni Islam. I don't know when is the next time the Ulama might be strong enough to convert provinces on our own, so I want us to take advantage of our moment of relative strength.

We are still converting Galicia with our missionary, which will take 92 years.

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

Rodyle posted:

Taifas, huddle up!

Now, as to the Jizrunids, which royal rules is royal business, and not for we humble servants to stick our soft, fleshy necks into. With that said, I propose a bill for all of Al-Andalus! Even for our opposition parties, who sunk the Iberia-spanning super power we created into bankruptcy and civil war! It's almost like merchants are meant to advise, while imams and bootlickers are meant to be silent backbenchers!

-An all mandates and quotas granted and demanded by Al-Andalus Under Arms are renewed
-Forbids aggressive action without sufficient funds or manpower, though what is deemed sufficient is at the sultan's discretion (save that there be no outstanding loans).
-Demands the construction of fortresses along the Pyrenees, to slow French advance
-in any conflict with France or Morocco, priority is to be given first with severing their alliance, and second to severing any relationship they possess with Iberian minors.
-in event of war with Morocco, the Navy is to block the straits to prevent Berber access to Al-Andalus
-Aggressive action against France or Morocco is only to be taken in the event that France is already distracted by another major conflict. Morocco's engagement or lack thereof isn't relevant.

I'll Support this. Let's take the time to rebuild and re-arm. And let the Merchants Pay for it all with their Slave Trade while we're at it.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Agreed!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I propose the Strengthen The New World Trade Act. The Sultan is directed to get each of our colonial nations up to ten provinces by any means necessary for the extra merchants.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Erwin the German posted:

This is bad and you should feel bad for suggesting it!

How is a muslim power all the way on the other side of the med going to help us with France right on our door step? Al Andalus is a great power so we should start acting like it.

More Friends fewer Enemies act
Shore up relations with the muslim nations in the western med. Yes that includes Morocco. Seek alliances where possible, at the very least reduce their hate of us enough so they stop allying with France.

They hate us because we keep trying to kick in their teeth in every other generation. So quit doing that and concentrate on our real enemy France!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I propose the Strengthen The New World Trade Act. The Sultan is directed to get each of our colonial nations up to ten provinces by any means necessary for the extra merchants.

Supported Bigger is better.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

We are still converting Galicia with our missionary, which will take 92 years.

No, we're not. I hired an advisor that gave us +2% missionary strength, so three provinces have already been converted, just couldn't fit it into the update.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

everydayfalls posted:

How is a muslim power all the way on the other side of the med going to help us with France right on our door step? Al Andalus is a great power so we should start acting like it.

Shore up relations with the muslim nations in the western med. Yes that includes Morocco. Seek alliances where possible, at the very least reduce their hate of us enough so they stop allying with France.

They hate us because we keep trying to kick in their teeth in every other generation. So quit doing that and concentrate on our real enemy France!

Seriously Ulema. Listen to this man. Make amends with Morocco by all means but acknowledging the so called Caliph costs us much for no discernible benefit.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

No, we're not. I hired an advisor that gave us +2% missionary strength, so three provinces have already been converted, just couldn't fit it into the update.

This is fantastic news. Ulama, we must focus on the source of the rebellions. Acknowledging some self-proclaimed caliphate thousands of miles away will do nothing to stop Christians within our borders from murdering us. Furthermore, mending ties with the Moroccan government is more of a secular matter than a religious duty. Vote for my proposal!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

everydayfalls posted:

What muslim nations are even left in the Western Mediterranean that this act will affect? Morocco and Palermo? I mean, personally i want to fight Morocco, but by all means proceed, just consider that this proposal will be your only thing for 20 years and as it is it's very limited.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 15, 2017

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Taifas, huddle up!

Supporting!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Hashim posted:

Thank goodness, that original screenshot was a real kick in the pants.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While I'm not officially a faction member, I'd like to point out that starting dumb two-front hellwars is probably not a good idea. And while this LP isn't exactly going for optimal play, I'd also like to point out that if you find yourself in this kind of poo poo, you would want to go to war with the goal of forcing either France or Morocco to sever their alliance and then start the real war when the truce runs out and they're divided.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

everydayfalls posted:

Pah, do not make me slap you with my shoe. Countless times have we made overtures to Palermo and Morocco, and when has that borne us fruit? That's right, never. We either ruin our relations at the behest of the money-grubbing Merchants or bloodthirsty Taifas in the case of Morocco or, as with Palermo, they are too weak to help us. It is time to reach further. The Vakhtani possess Jerusalem, and perhaps in time they shall hold Mecca itself. It is clear that Allah's providence radiates upon them, which we would do well to recognize.

Further, what is distance in this age, when we can ship trinkets, goods, and slaves from lands previously unknown? Distance has not stopped us, and it will not stop the Vakhtani from helping us (or vice versa) in times of need.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just a heads up, there's already a policy suggestion that's kinda the same for the merchants.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

I support this.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I support this.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

GunnerJ posted:

Just a heads up, there's already a policy suggestion that's kinda the same for the merchants.

Having multiple factions pass essentially the same policies is a proud tradition of the Majlis.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It also might lose though, just pointing it out.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

While I'm not officially a faction member, I'd like to point out that starting dumb two-front hellwars is probably not a good idea. And while this LP isn't exactly going for optimal play, I'd also like to point out that if you find yourself in this kind of poo poo, you would want to go to war with the goal of forcing either France or Morocco to sever their alliance and then start the real war when the truce runs out and they're divided.

Hi, you jammy bastard! I love that gang tag from the UKMT.

Anyways, we were already in the process of doing exactly this when the goons of the Majlis decided to back out of the war with Morocco at the last second. I will stop complaining about this now, but we really created all of the conditions for this foreign policy disaster. It is a total self goal on par with any from the Conservative Prime Ministers of the last few years IRL.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

GunnerJ posted:

It also might lose though, just pointing it out.

Yours is pretty nebulous; I explicitly want us to cast our lot with the Vakhtani.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Erwin the German posted:

Yours is pretty nebulous; I explicitly want us to cast our lot with the Vakhtani.

Yeah they're definitely different but if both passed then one might be redundant. Honestly I'd kinda like the opportunity to withdraw mine if yours picks up steam but it's looking like maybe "Strengthen The New World Trade Act" is going to win, which is fine because I always like more colonies. (Also it looked like you said Morocco, but I thought the Vakhtani were in charge of whatever Turkey is now?)

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated policies:

Luhood posted:

I propose the simply named Bavarian Alliance Act. We need to ally with Bavaria as a means to protect ourselves from the French and our so called "Muslim Brothers" in Morocco. Only then, when we are safe from the overbearing sword of our rivalling neighbours, can we start even thinking about rebuilding.

Luhood.

Rodyle posted:

The Mountains and the Sea Act
Full list of demands here.

Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Dick Trauma, Mr_Autoshades, Lynneth.

Erwin the German posted:

I propose the Recognition Act: Let us end our rivalry with the Vakhtani Caliphate, acknowledge them as the Caliphate of Islam, and join forces so that in future wars against our true adversaries, the perfidious Christians of Europe, we are not so easily overwhelmed.

Erwin the German, AJ_Impy, Ralepozozaxe, devildragon777, Hitlers Gay Secret, Slaan.

Snipee posted:

Snipee.

everydayfalls posted:

everydayfalls.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Muslim Brotherhood Act: Prioritize cultivating a strong alliance with another Muslim power.

GunnerJ, Yvonmukluk, Talas.

paragon1 posted:

paragon1, GunnerJ, Captain Oblivious, Crazycryodude, Frionnel, Mr.Morgenstern, catlord, Rubix Squid.

Mikl posted:

Mikl.

WilliamAnderson posted:

WilliamAnderson, Ikasuhito, Technowolf, Soup du Jour.

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Noble Sultana, Save Us from Ourselves which entails kissing up and making nice and developing as many allies as we can in this time of weakness and cupidity on the part of her disloyal snakelike Majlis.

TildeATH, Archaeology Hat, RZApublican.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

I support this. We always need more money.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session closed.:siren: Passed policies are the Mountains and Sea Act, the Recognition Act, the We Need Tequila Now Act, the Strengthen the New World Trade Act, and the Noble Sultana Save Us From Ourselves Act.

The two merchant policies make it a bit difficult to carry both out, but they're not conflicting or anything, so I'll see what I can do.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Are we still going to continue to convert the north?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Are we still going to continue to convert the north?

No, the only time the Ulema can convert without policies is if they're in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Hashim posted:

No, the only time the Ulema can convert without policies is if they're in power.

Ah man, now that missionary is wasted. :smith: