Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Photex posted:

Not sure if this falls within the rules but the BWM thread would love the ongoing twitch streamer Crumps drama as it is also relevant to the IRS, he's been dodging the IRS for years and they are finally coming after him and he is in denial that he owes any money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Crumps2/

Dog you gotta give better backstory than some link to some dumb badly CSSed subreddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I just clicked on that Crumps link and it was like the geocities webring has evolved into a new form.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pr0zac posted:

Dog you gotta give better backstory than some link to some dumb badly CSSed subreddit.

Sure no problem

Crumps was one of the original Binding of Isaac speedrunners, he started up the BoilR races which were sponsored by twitch so he built up a huge following then every streamer who ever worked with him refuse to do so anymore. He's a giant man child who throws tantrums on stream and bans his subscribers on the regular. Recently his numbers have dropped off and he's been getting hounded by the IRS because he owes around $3000-4000. He's pretty open about being a dick to the IRS even goes to explain how he sent a payment plan offer them at $1 a month

The bad with money part? https://clips.twitch.tv/DeliciousCrackySnakePanicVis he's actively hunting down every Rydia card from the Final Fantasy Card Game and buying them all up all while the IRS is up his rear end.

It's never his fault and it's glorious because he's such a douche.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What is a Rydia and why is he buying them all?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is a Rydia and why is he buying them all?

read.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you're going to try to gently caress with the IRS maybe don't do it in public, guy.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Photex posted:

The bad with money part? https://clips.twitch.tv/DeliciousCrackySnakePanicVis he's actively hunting down every Rydia card from the Final Fantasy Card Game and buying them all up all while the IRS is up his rear end.

Why is he buying every Rydia card (what even is a Rydia card)? Is there an end goal in mind?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

If you're going to try to gently caress with the IRS maybe don't do it in public, guy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Why is he buying every Rydia card (what even is a Rydia card)? Is there an end goal in mind?

because he is bad with money, and from what I remember it's his favorite character, they go for $10-20 a piece of ebay.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Guilty." - a judge, sometime in the future.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

If only there was a link to the actual post so I could read it for myself :allears:

It's one of those private forum type things so no direct links, but the rest is mostly people dogpiling him for being an idiot.

His last post in the thread:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That slick son-of-a-bitch is going to corner the Rydia card market! He's gonna be the Standard Oil of Rydia cards.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

cool story bro

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

ebacho posted:

It's one of those private forum type things so no direct links, but the rest is mostly people dogpiling him for being an idiot.

His last post in the thread:

Guy is every buttcoin stereotype rolled in to one.

I'm trying to twist my mind to understand the process by where he thought "there's someone out there who, instead of easily buying anonymous Cryptocurrency on their own, really needs an anonymous forum poster to buy it for them and will split the profits as just compensation, or eat the entire loss if it comes to that". Then I remember there's just no accounting for stupid.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

BWL is spending your days on a subreddit about a twitch streamer just to complain about how mean he is to the people that watch him

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

BWL is spending your days on a subreddit about a twitch streamer just to complain about how mean he is to the people that watch him
And yet, here we are.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

ohgodwhat posted:

BWL is watching streamers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I liked watching some streamers for games I would play. Some of them were really informative and I would learn a lot about the game. Of course, this was when you could watch old recorded streams at your leisure.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

spwrozek posted:

Golden State spent $200K on Champagne after winning the NBA championship last night. Pretty much all of it was sprayed in the air and went down the drain. I know they are a pro basketball team but still pretty BWM.

Forgive me thread, for I have sinned: when I read this post, I immediately began trying to rationalize the expense. :ca:

Photex posted:

what the hell is Ethereum? is it some new funny money?

I didn't see anyone answer you.

Yes, it is, with the added bonus of executable transactions. Instead of just saying "I offer .01 ethereum to any mining node which verifies this transaction: transfer 2 ethereum from my wallet A to target wallet B" you can write entire programs which automatically pay miners to run them, and of course which get hacked.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Hmm, this ethereum thing sounds like a nifty retirement plan. Brb cashing out my 401k

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Virtue posted:

Hmm, this ethereum thing sounds like a nifty retirement plan. Brb cashing out my 401k

Dude at work invested 2k in ethereum a while back. Now it's worth 250k on paper. Is he selling? You know the answer already.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you able to just buy into and out of Ethereum? If it's guaranteed liquid and able to be converted to actual cash with in a business day or something I would consider tossing some throw away money at it. Like if there was ever a cryptocurrency ETF or something I could justify buying into it for a short term investment.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

baquerd posted:

Dude at work invested 2k in ethereum a while back. Now it's worth 250k on paper. Is he selling? You know the answer already.

If the Bay Area has taught me anything it's that the right move is always to dump money into a product that has programming in it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you able to just buy into and out of Ethereum? If it's guaranteed liquid and able to be converted to actual cash with in a business day or something I would consider tossing some throw away money at it. Like if there was ever a cryptocurrency ETF or something I could justify buying into it for a short term investment.

You already know the answer to this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, thought so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

throw away money

Emphasis on.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Pyramid schemes. Pyramid schemes never change, they just get cute new names.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
A few of my friends are getting heavy in Etherium now. One of them spent last weekend on Skype to some guy in Germany trying to buy in more; I didn't really want to ask. My concern is that they're all penniless student types rather than cutting edge investors, so I'm pretty sure they don't know what they're doing. Maybe the joke will be on me when they're all rolling around in their champagne hot tubs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Your dream is alive: http://www.coindesk.com/sec-orders-review-winklevoss-bitcoin-etf-rejection/

According to work dude, there are both BTC and Ethereum exchanges without any withdrawal limits. If he's not selling though, I bet he's never tested that theory.

Edit: They also both crashed hard today, 10% for BTC and 13% for ethereum.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm guessing 'no withdrawl limits' vanishes fast if you try to cash out $250k at once. That's how it always seems to work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Photex posted:

because he is bad with money, and from what I remember it's his favorite character, they go for $10-20 a piece of ebay.

At first I thought it was some flashy new AMD video card and was really excited that you could apparently get them for only $10-20

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Haifisch posted:

I'm guessing 'no withdrawl limits' vanishes fast if you try to cash out $250k at once. That's how it always seems to work.

No, withdrawal limits

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

No, withdrawal limits

No withdrawal. Limits!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Motronic posted:

No withdrawal. Limits!

Nowith. Drawl Limits :bahgawd:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

I have friends who have pulled USD out of ETH to the tune mid-five-figures every day for a week, without a hiccup. You could probably get a quarter mil out over a month without much hassle. (Other than FINTRAC and such.)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Solice Kirsk posted:

Like if there was ever a cryptocurrency ETF or something I could justify buying into it for a gamble.

ftfy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

\Like if there was ever a cryptocurrency ETF or something I could justify buying into it for a short term investment.

I mean half of the purpose of crypto as an investment vehicle is probably tax evasion, so that probably wouldn't be terribly popular.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Someone should have told that to the Winklevoss twins before they went through all that trouble of trying to set up Bitcoin-based securities.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I mean, there is a Bitcoin ETF and it's trading at a significant premium to bitcoins themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean half of the purpose of crypto as an investment vehicle is probably tax evasion, so that probably wouldn't be terribly popular.

I think the venn diagram representing "investors" and "tax evading bitcoin shitheads" is very close to a circle, especially if you're talking about boutique etfs like this.