Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Wick 1 is a fantastic example of style over substance done perfectly. There are some silly first-time writer elements (like the coins and hotel) but they can largely be ignored or overlooked.

John Wick 2 doubles down those elements, and by the end of the film it's revealed that an insane amount of people--like 50% of the population in the world--are all assassins as well.

I still really enjoyed John Wick 2 (the museum gallery scene is truly something to behold) but I'm wary of anything else that will keep expanding and exploring a rather silly universe. Just show me Keanu doing insane fight choreography, drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

This is random, but Apples music show PlanetOfTheApps is great. It's reality show blah blah, but it's the the advisors and the actual pitching to VC that makes it legit. Highly recommend it.

It's the most shameless rip-off of Shark Tank/Dragon's Den I've ever seen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

American Crime Story is switching the topics of its second and third seasons, with Gianni Versace now coming before Katrina.

Just going to remind everyone that it's probably going to suck either way, because even though it was my favorite show last year the non-Ryan Murphy showrunners aren't returning.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

American Crime Story is switching the topics of its second and third seasons, with Gianni Versace now coming before Katrina.

That's unbelievably lame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno, I think Katrina's a fair topic but I have no idea how you do it on a TV budget at all, much less without minimizing the event.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It's insane to me that both seasons are far enough along in pre-production that simply switching them around is a possibility.

I'm glad they are though, because I bet that Katrina one is going to suuuck

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but who gives a gently caress about versacci.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Not me particularly, but at least it's a story I don't know. Katrina has been done to death both in fiction and regular media coverage

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know American Crime has gotten like universal praise and all but I just absolutely can not bring myself to watch "Ryan Murphy makes a show about OJ." I can't do it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

Not me particularly, but at least it's a story I don't know. Katrina has been done to death both in fiction and regular media coverage

When googling the only show I found was Treme.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

I know American Crime has gotten like universal praise and all but I just absolutely can not bring myself to watch "Ryan Murphy makes a show about OJ." I can't do it.

There are two other showrunners and most of it's ripped from a book. It's an amazing TV show that admittedly does make some stuff up or is on-the-nose occasionally, but all of it adds to the overall emotion of the story and creates this sense of the insanity of what you're watching. It's also got my three favorite performances of last year in Sterling K. Brown, Courtney B. Vance, and Sarah Paulson. I can't recommend it enough.

Also the interesting part about Versace isn't the murder, it's the manhunt.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said, I know the show has gotten a ton of praise and I don't doubt it at all. But I can't get past it.

Plus, like, I watched 2 or 3 documentaries last year about OJ and "now watch a Ryan Murphy dramatization of it" was a real "WTF?" addendum to trying to keep my interest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If it helps, I don't think of it as a Ryan Murphy project at all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

Without those, the whole thing seems much more grounded.

I feel like you missed the entire point of John Wick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

Well not liking something and saying it's bad aren't necessarily the same thing.

I definitely don't expect everyone to like The Americans. It's not for everyone. In fact it's for a pretty narrow viewership: people who want a spy drama that's almost entirely character based with very little "exciting spy poo poo", set during the cold war that's a critique of both soviet and american mindsets during the period.

If you want a plot-driven show, you won't like it. If you don't like a show hitting you over the head with "hurr both contries are corrupt and ignorent", you wont like it. If you dislike 80s cars and fashion and wigs and music, you won't like it.

But it's not bad.

Are you kidding me? I love John Le Carre. I love character studies (hence why Mad Men is my fav show of all time). And guess what, I also know how to spell.

Americans was a slog through a nasty muck of unchanging character dynamics, tedious side plots, and a general grayness stuck in only type of tone (grim). Hence why I bounced out during the second season.

There's some good things to be said for it, like it not being apologetic about what it wants to do. But people not liking it (which comes from them experiencing as "bad", by the way") doesn't deserve the snide post you just dished out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched the Americans when it first debuted but it didn't hook me. I wasn't really feeling the 80s nostalgia and am not a big spy fan so even though I could see why people were praising that stuff I just didn't get into it.

I keep meaning to give it another shot now that I can binge some episodes, but its on the long, long list that will never be finished.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At least initially it's about an arranged marriage with some spy stuff in the background. It's interesting drama IMO even just on that level. Also the daughter turned out to be a great actor. The show is relentlessly dark for sure but I love that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there was definitely some interesting stuff between the two of them. It just didn't hook me in, which is usually the case with character stuff when I'm watching it week-to-week instead of binging. Which is why its on my list of shows to give a second chance.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

At least initially it's about an arranged marriage with some spy stuff in the background. It's interesting drama IMO even just on that level. Also the daughter turned out to be a great actor. The show is relentlessly dark for sure but I love that.

It's hard to get across just how dark this show is. It's almost like John Le Carre had a hand in it. People just get coldly used up and their lives utterly annihilated by the protagonists, not unlike theirs constantly threaten to be in the greater scheme of things. There's this brutal fatalism to it that you don't often see on tv.

The Americans owns y'all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't consider The Americans to have "tedious side plots" or "unchanging character dynamics".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out there's a John Wick spin-off TV series in the works. Its still early in development but right now but the current plan is to call it The Continental, after the hotels that house the various hitmen and crime families of the John Wick world. Its apparently going to be a prequel. Keanu Reeves will be tangentially involved with Chad Stahelski saying that they're planning on Keanu making an appearance but he obviously won't be appearing long term on the show.

Lionsgate is producing the show and as far as I can tell there's no network attached yet.

Do not want if it ends up on network tv

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Second one definitely does more worldbuilding and I would argue it suffers a bit--you don't really want to spend too much time thinking about how the Wickverse works, because as soon as you start to think about how a world like that could possibly exist in reality it all starts falling apart.

Oh, actually, I've got a bulletproof answer for how John Wick ties into reality. You wanna hear it? Good, I'll tell you. Three simple theorems you have to keep in mind:

1.) It doesn't.

2.) John Wick is urban fantasy that has gently caress-all to do with reality.

3.) Deal with it, nerd.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The John Wick movies would be considerably lesser without the Continental and everything that goes with it.

Dunno if there's enough substance there to sustain a TV series but it certainly has my interest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They should make it an anthology show with Lance Reddick as the host.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

They should make it an anthology show with Lance Reddick as the host.

This would be cool

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The new Ducktales title sequence seems to indicate to me a heavy influence from the Carl Barks comics based on Scrooge. If that is indeed their intended direction for the show then I think we'll be in good hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURi91Eb6I8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

This would be cool

You could end every story/episode with "and then they met John Wick... and died."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

The new Ducktales title sequence seems to indicate to me a heavy influence from the Carl Barks comics based on Scrooge. If that is indeed their intended direction for the show then I think we'll be in good hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURi91Eb6I8

Plus if you're trying to make Scrooge McDuck work with a generation that has incredible animosity toward the super-rich playing up him as a treasure hunter and adventure-seeker seems as good a direction as any.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u65QJS7iDfo

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Are you kidding me? I love John Le Carre. I love character studies (hence why Mad Men is my fav show of all time). And guess what, I also know how to spell.

Americans was a slog through a nasty muck of unchanging character dynamics, tedious side plots, and a general grayness stuck in only type of tone (grim). Hence why I bounced out during the second season.

There's some good things to be said for it, like it not being apologetic about what it wants to do. But people not liking it (which comes from them experiencing as "bad", by the way") doesn't deserve the snide post you just dished out.

FWIW this post comes off as way more confrontational and snide than the one you're responding to

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I never thought Griffin's Amiibo Corner would work on television but here we are.

e. Without context this is an amazing still.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 15, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

There's always something happening in Patriot, and almost all of it is plot related. By comparison, most of the other shows I mentioned will throw in weird asides because they can while the plot grinds to a halt. Like this entire episode, where even the side-plot we are having a bubble episode for isn't the focus! In a bettter show everything that happened this episode would be 10 minutes.

I'm once again prefacing this with the fact that I loved Patriot but to praise Patriot and slag off the other shows for having weird asides that don't serve the plot for the sake of being arty and creative is not fair.

Sideplots that didn't deserve the time they got:
-The Asian puppeteer
-Kurtwood Smith's backstory where he wasn't such a oval office
-A bunch of stuff with the Luxembourg detective
-The whole subplot of the wife tracking him down and coming to visit
-Adventures of a Blues man trying to sell a canoe

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But all of those were hilarious?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess Gong Show is just going to lean hard really into being trainwreck TV. I still don't quite know why Mike Myers is playing a fake host for it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

But all of those were hilarious?

Totally agree, but they didn't serve the main plot, halted the pacing of the storytelling and were indulgent creative flourishes from the creators aimed with the intent of world building, character moments and fun.

Middleone praised Patriot for bucking the trend of the indulgent non-critical sideplots of the The Young Pope, Legion and Preacher when I'm trying to point out it did exactly the same thing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I still don't quite know why Mike Myers is playing a fake host for it.

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Totally agree, but they didn't serve the main plot, halted the pacing of the storytelling and were indulgent creative flourishes from the creators aimed with the intent of world building, character moments and fun.

Middleone praised Patriot for bucking the trend of the indulgent non-critical sideplots of the The Young Pope, Legion and Preacher when I'm trying to point out it did exactly the same thing.

Oh, that's fair.

Weren't those also all cold opens?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I guess Gong Show is just going to lean hard really into being trainwreck TV. I still don't quite know why Mike Myers is playing a fake host for it.

Because he's been trying to get another Wayne's World or Austin Powers film going for close to 10 years and nobody wants anything to do with either property anymore.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Because he's been trying to get another Wayne's World or Austin Powers film going for close to 10 years and nobody wants anything to do with either property anymore.

I wonder if he feels like Austin Powers just needs to do the 80s to complete the sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShakeZula posted:

I wonder if he feels like Austin Powers just needs to do the 80s to complete the sequence

He probably does feel that way. Thankfully nobody anywhere at any studio wants to move forward with it. I believe he even tried to get a tv show off the ground at one point.

• Locked thread