Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, I'm can see a spectrum of trump personally knowing he owes them billions and The Tape Is Real, or one of his sons hosed up big time and he's trying to save face.

And that's before we even get to kushner, who likely got a tip from trump that he could get bailed out on 666 5th from Russians.
I think the most likely scenario is that he owes them a bunch of money because he's a joke of a businessman, but I'm still holding out hope for the Pee Tape.

I do think the Russian debt stuff is why he adamantly refused to release his taxes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/875140849448996864

i wonder if the cause:effect is too far separated in time

i know dogs don't figure it out if they're separated by any real length of time maybe trump doesn't either

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the most likely scenario is that he owes them a bunch of money because he's a joke of a businessman, but I'm still holding out hope for the Pee Tape.

I do think the Russian debt stuff is why he adamantly refused to release his taxes though.

yeah i tend to agree with TPM's take on this: after Trump's most recent bankruptcy, he became untouchable, nobody was interested in lending to him, so he had to go in with russia - and sleazier parts of russia - to get the cash to keep going

he knows that's where the money is coming from, and he who pays the piper calls the tune

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/875140849448996864

i wonder if the cause:effect is too far separated in time

i know dogs don't figure it out if they're separated by any real length of time maybe trump doesn't either

Trump doesn't understand cause and effect... like a dog.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

farraday posted:

:sad:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

farraday posted:

I leaked on her like a bitch

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

farraday posted:

President of the United States of America

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

evilweasel posted:

yeah i tend to agree with TPM's take on this: after Trump's most recent bankruptcy, he became untouchable, nobody was interested in lending to him, so he had to go in with russia - and sleazier parts of russia - to get the cash to keep going

he knows that's where the money is coming from, and he who pays the piper calls the tune

This was even confirmed stupidly by an off the cuff interview with a golf reporter where Eric said Russian golf enthusiasts were funding their new properties.

Given the all-star team Mueller put together to fine comb through Trump and Co.'s finances, massively shady deals are almost certainly coming to light in the next months/year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RasperFat posted:

This was even confirmed stupidly by an off the cuff interview with a golf reporter where Eric said Russian golf enthusiasts were funding their new properties.

Given the all-star team Mueller put together to fine comb through Trump and Co.'S finances, massively shady deals are almost certainly coming to light in the next months/year.

I just hope nothing happens between now and then that will gently caress it up somehow. And I hope it will have a massive, massive effect on the political landscape.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I just hope nothing happens between now and then that will gently caress it up somehow. And I hope it will have a massive, massive effect on the political landscape.

Getting rid of the electoral college and gerrymandering are the 2 most obvious ways of fixing your system, but it would take a massive amount of resources and luck to actually push through right?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

Getting rid of the electoral college and gerrymandering are the 2 most obvious ways of fixing your system, but it would take a massive amount of resources and luck to actually push through right?

The first one yes but there are legal challenges going on about gerrymandering right now. In fact the SCOTUS just last month declared North Carolina's gerrymandering to be unconstitutional.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/north-carolina-gerrymandering/527592/

The electoral college won't be going away but there is machinery starting to get rid of gerrymandering at least.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

Will never happen, and might possibly happen although it's unlikely, respectively

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bigly things signed today:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

wait what

vvv I read over it like five times because I couldn't process the fact that the president signed a law that would promote ethical behavior

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Followed tomorrow by the "Follow My Rules" Act, which voids the previous order because it was an intentional typo by a liberal spy in the administration. All government personnel are now required to render unto Caesar their undying allegiance and loyalty. The pens used to sign the FAKE ORDER are hereby recalled so they can be burned in the hottest fires possible, and the ashes are to be burned afterwards.

The original language sounds like something drafted by an ambulance chaser:

"This bill extends the prohibition against a person taking, failing to take, or threatening to take or fail to take a personnel action against any employee or applicant for employment for refusing to obey an order that would require the individual to violate a law to personnel actions against such an individual for refusing to obey an order that would violate a rule or regulation."

I feel like I need a tab of Dramamine reading that. "Don't turn left or right, but when you turn right then don't turn left, *or* right again, or turn around, or do a backflip or somersault..."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 15, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Suppressing a grin here, thinking about Donald J. Trump finally sitting down to a big loving birthday cake, family and sycophants crowded around, as he gets the news from an aide that WaPo is reporting five separate sources confirm he is under investigation by Special Counsel Mueller for obstructing justice.

In this fantasy his family both cares about him and he already didn't know about the investigation.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
So Trump is obviously guilty, so his only move is to fire Mueller.

So what happens then? Isn't the US out of cops to police the president?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

It seems the president has taken huge steps to prevent workplace retaliation.

You know, that thing that every company, from forbes-50 to ever podunk piece of poo poo that has an HR department on the loving planet does.

If I'm reading this correctly.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Imagine you’re a federal worker and your boss asks you to violate a federal law that’s been passed by Congress. If you refuse to do so — instead pledging fidelity to the law — you’re protected from employment retaliation thanks to the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989. It’s your superior who’s considered in the wrong for making the illegal request in the first place, not you for disobeying your boss.

But what if you disobey an order to violate a regulation instituted by the executive branch instead, rather than a law passed by Congress? The difference may seem minor, but the consequences are major: you’re not protected at all

The Follow the Rules Act, labelled H.R. 657 in the House, was introduced by Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI7) to correct this discrepancy.

This discrepancy never came up until last year. Timothy Rainey was a State Department employee who was instructed by his boss to make a contractor rehire a previously-fired subcontractor, in violation of an existing federal regulation. Rainey refused, and his boss retaliated by removing his responsibilities as a contracting officer.

Although Rainey would have been protected had he refused to violate a law passed by Congress, he instead refused to violate a rule or regulation instituted by the executive branch and wasn’t protected at all. A federal appeals court upheld Rainey’s punishment in the precedent-setting decision Rainey v. Merit Systems Protection Board in June 2016.

This decision proved especially controversial in the legal community because the appeals court’s decision relied upon a Supreme Court precedent in a way that many believed twisted the Supreme Court’s original logic, since that Supreme Court decision found in favor of a federal employee rather than against.

The Follow the Rules Act is one page long, and would clarify that a rule or regulation is given the same legal weight as a law when it comes to federal employee protections.

An example provided by a Duffy press release regards a rule or regulation created to sanction North Korea. A federal employee who is told by a superior to violate the North Korea sanctions would currently have no protections if they refuse.

Supporters say the legislation helps ensure effective governance, especially in a highly polarized political environment when Democrats and even some Republicans have heightened concern about political pressure on career civil service employees.

“Given attacks on the federal workforce… we need to do all we can to ensure that federal employees are allowed to perform their jobs free from political pressure to violate laws, rules, and regulations,” House cosponsor Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA11) said in a press release. “We cannot tolerate the issuance of gag orders to silence dissent. And we cannot permit the firing of agency employees who have differing political views from our own or from Administration actions.”

It seems... good?? Passed the House 407-0.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Getting rid of the Electoral College would require a constitutional amendment. And a constitutional amendment requires 2/3 of the legislature and 3/4 of the states to approve it. Getting the people who benefit most from the system to overwhelmingly approve dis-empowering themselves would take a miracle.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Cheekio posted:

So Trump is obviously guilty, so his only move is to fire Mueller.

So what happens then? Isn't the US out of cops to police the president?

A) Military coup
2) Citizens start taking shots at him
3) Impeachment
f) A new counsel is appointed

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Getting rid of the Electoral College would require a constitutional amendment. And a constitutional amendment requires 2/3 of the legislature and 3/4 of the states to approve it. Getting the people who benefit most from the system to overwhelmingly approve dis-empowering themselves would take a miracle.

Neutering the Electoral College would just require having more than enough states to push over the 270 EV total to sign onto the compact that allocates their EV to the popular vote winner. They're currently at 165.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

skylined! posted:

Suppressing a grin here, thinking about Donald J. Trump finally sitting down to a big loving birthday cake, family and sycophants crowded around, as he gets the news from an aide that WaPo is reporting five separate sources confirm he is under investigation by Special Counsel Mueller for obstructing justice.

In this fantasy his family both cares about him and he already didn't know about the investigation.

He doesn't treat his birthday any differently than any other meal. He eats alone, gulping down big forkfuls of a grocery-store birthday cake and a pint of Neapolitan ice cream. He makes Jared sit on a stool and watch, but he's not allowed to speak. They sit in darkness because they still don't know how to work the lights.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Neutering the Electoral College would just require having more than enough states to push over the 270 EV total to sign onto the compact that allocates their EV to the popular vote winner.

How close are we to that?

Ah answered by edit.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Citizen's United probably needs to be addressed somehow as well if you want to fix American politics, but if I understand correctly that's probably a non-starter without a constitutional amendment. I don't think Americans are aware of just how disproportionate the amount of money is spent on American political campaigns and advertising. The last time I checked spending in recent American federal elections was roughly an order of magnitude higher per capita than comparable elections in other Western countries (Canada, the UK etc).

Before you bring up the tale of Trump vs Jeb to argue that campaign spending doesn't matter anymore, keep in mind that Trump received a ridiculous amount of effectively free advertising in 2016 from the idiot major networks. Most races don't become a media circus and the fact remains that money likely equals votes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

skylined! posted:

A) Military coup
2) Citizens start taking shots at him
3) Impeachment
f) A new counsel is appointed

I think if we've learned one thing from today it's that liberals (especially the nutjobs with violent domestic abuse records :sigh: ) need to learn how to shoot better.

Also, abolishing the EC, while it would be a step in the right direction, in this political climate would result in an all-fifty-state vote recount by the loser of a general national election, even if the winner won handily, just out of spite.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Pollyanna posted:

Depending on what Mueller finds, it could be devastating. What if it's found out, and it seems reasonably plausible, that a poo poo load of Republican officials got illegal funding from Russia? Not just Flynn's personal account padding, but campaign funding for the craziest assholes that destabilize the government and are constantly trying to destroy our institutions and international standing.

Even if it's only 5-10% of Republican politicians, I don't see how the party can recover. Having 20+ politicians in your party all being tied to treason while the rest of the party was defending it and trying to sideline investigations would be a scandal of such unprecedented scale that the Republican Party would hopefully be crushed forever.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

skylined! posted:

You know, that thing that every company, from forbes-50 to ever podunk piece of poo poo that has an HR department on the loving planet does.

If I'm reading this correctly.

Yeah that's what I gathered--my "wait what" was in response to Trump signing what appears to be A Good Bill

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

It seems... good?? Passed the House 407-0.

Looks like Sean Duffy discovered what happens when whistleblowers stop being polite ... and start getting real.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wrong thread

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Yeah that's what I gathered--my "wait what" was in response to Trump signing what appears to be A Good Bill

"Look guys, I can govern! I can govern! Please don't kick me off the gravy train!"

alternatively he misread/just didn't understand the content.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Before anyone decides to :toot: prematurely, remember that this is still a thing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9dd5_story.html

So while an SES or GS-15 might not be able to discriminate, "The Untouchables" still very much can, so long as they've got a pet legislator to sponsor it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fixing the American system is very easy: get private money out of politics. Candidates should be able to use only public funds. Not even their own money.

Boom. Fixed.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

skylined! posted:

Uh, from a company standpoint, that's not true at all. There are a lot of ways for companies to retaliate against employees who stick to the morale high ground, are whistle blowers, etc. They just have to pretend they are being fired for something else. Especially with lots of states having at will employment it's not that difficult. Sure there's ways to legally challenge it in certain instances but that's certainly not something companies are actively putting in place themselves if we are going by recent history.

For a recent high profile case, just look at what happened to all the people who used Wells Fargo's internal line to report the misconduct with the fake accounts being opened. They were retaliated against to the maximum possible degree (firing and effective blacklisting from financial sector). Thankfully Wellsfargo got in trouble for that (among other things) but they certainly did not have adequate protections for employees as a part of corporate policy. And they are far from the only company like that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Congress can pass a law banning gerrymandering. It did in the past.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JuniperCake posted:

Uh, from a company standpoint, that's not true at all. There are a lot of ways for companies to retaliate against employees who stick to the morale high ground, are whistle blowers, etc. They just have to pretend they are being fired for something else. Especially with lots of states having at will employment it's not that difficult. Sure there's ways to legally challenge it in certain instances but that's certainly not something companies are actively putting in place themselves if we are going by recent history.

For a recent high profile case, just look at what happened to all the people who used Wells Fargo's internal line to report the misconduct with the fake accounts being opened. They were retaliated against to the maximum possible degree (firing and effective blacklisting from financial sector). Thankfully Wellsfargo got in trouble for that (among other things) but they certainly did not have adequate protections for employees as a part of corporate policy. And they are far from the only company like that.

Yeah you are a sucker if you ever call the company's anonymous tip line without first consulting with a labor lawyer about managing and mitigating the blowback that's going to come towards you when you make the call.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Fixing the American system is very easy: get private money out of politics. Candidates should be able to use only public funds. Not even their own money.

Boom. Fixed.

I think you'll find that half of the Supreme Court disagrees and think money doesn't even have the appearance of corruption. Money is literally speech under law right now.
:smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Boom. Fixed.

Lawfully mandating an official campaigning period like the UK would help, too. None of this "running 18 months in advance" bullshit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lawfully mandating an official campaigning period like the UK would help, too. None of this "running 18 months in advance" bullshit.

That would violate the 1st amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

I said most companies (paraphrasing) had rules prohibiting retaliation, not that they were effective or unabused.

Reading through it, my simplistic breakdown wasn't really precise, tho

• Locked thread