Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Neutering the Electoral College would just require having more than enough states to push over the 270 EV total to sign onto the compact that allocates their EV to the popular vote winner. They're currently at 165.

I personally don't trust this plan because even if you could get enough Republican-controlled states to agree to neuter the institution that has handed them two elections in sixteen years and the massive amount of power that comes with that, the next time something like 2000 happens there's nothing stopping the Republican government of, say, Florida from reneging and giving their electoral votes to the popular vote loser because "we're not going to let some deal overrule the will of the Florida voters" or some poo poo.

It seems like the kind of plan that would only ever benefit Republicans because they don't care about fairness or norms or democracy, they only care about power, so they know Democrats would give away an EC victory PV loss that benefited them whereas Republicans would never keep up their end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

But the cartoon.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Fixing the American system is very easy: get private money out of politics. Candidates should be able to use only public funds. Not even their own money.

Boom. Fixed.

You'd need a different Supreme Court or a constitutional amendment; not very easy.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ague Proof posted:

But the cartoon.

It's actually a snowstorm so heavy you can only see white

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Southern Baptists did eventually condemn the alt-right movement. There was a lot of drama involved but they got it done. It sounds like part of the problem was that there were too many old people that weren't really familiar with the alt-right.

Maybe you think that sounds far-fetched but believe me, people that go to baptist churches can be completely oblivious. I met a Baptist pastor once that wasn't super familiar with the idea that idea that germs cause illness and that's why washing your hands is a good idea.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

evilweasel posted:

Congress can pass a law banning gerrymandering. It did in the past.

Congress can also fix the electoral college somewhat by increasing the size of the House. This would also bring the government closer to people and is generally a good idea that we should push for.

Actually I think Congress both stopped increasing the size of the house and made gerrymandering possible in the same year-1929. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 15, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Fixing the American system is very easy: get private money out of politics. Candidates should be able to use only public funds. Not even their own money.

Boom. Fixed.

Agreed - simple is one thing, but easy is another. Such action would have to be law, those that handle lawmaking are infested with private money etc etc. Even if it were to become law, these are people we are talking about. New ways to circumvent said rules would be pretty much zero-day. But yeah, in my opinion the largest detriment to government doing what the public actually wants is a self-fueling engine.

Either that or replace everyone in government with incorruptible, moral, people.

Wow, I really didn't want to be that much of a downer.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Southern Baptists did eventually condemn the alt-right movement. There was a lot of drama involved but they got it done. It sounds like part of the problem was that there were too many old people that weren't really familiar with the alt-right.

Maybe you think that sounds far-fetched but believe me, people that go to baptist churches can be completely oblivious. I met a Baptist pastor once that wasn't super familiar with the idea that idea that germs cause illness and that's why washing your hands is a good idea.

None of that is surprising at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

But the cartoon.

He won a pulitzer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

enraged_camel posted:

Boom. Fixed.

Define "private", "money", "politics", "Candidates", and "use," please.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TOOT BOOT posted:

Nobel prize for the first person who comes up with a way to stop dumb loving idiots from voting that can't be subverted for racist purposes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Define "define," please. Can you prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that words in fact have meanings?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This is by definition old news but man Washington post has a great summery of all the russia connections trump has: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/trump-russia/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.eec0fbe3b98b

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Define "define," please. Can you prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that words in fact have meanings?

Depends on what your definition of "is" is

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

business hammocks posted:

He won a pulitzer.

Well that makes me want to eat my own feces in disgust

In this particular "cartoon" he gets away with being lazier than I ever thought possible. gently caress him, and that comes as an artist, not as a Democrat

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

we already decided earlier that you can't post something without believing it. QED, motherfucker.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

Nobel prize for the first person who comes up with a way to stop dumb loving idiots from voting that can't be subverted for racist purposes.

Invalidate all votes for republicans unless your personal income is above 250k a year?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Compare this post to your title. It's like a mirror, heh.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

business hammocks posted:

He won a pulitzer.

TWO pulitzers!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Each of the words I mentioned has a line of caselaw as long as your arm litigating its definition and ramifications for campaign finance, even just at the federal level. It's not a simple or straightforward area.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

evilweasel posted:

That would violate the 1st amendment.

Not really. Reasonable restrictions to speech are commonplace. An obvious parallel would be prohibitions on electioneering near polling locations. Simply change distance to time.

I'd love to see public financing of elections but am pretty pessimistic that billionaires would let it fly.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Happy birthday, rear end in a top hat.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Each of the words I mentioned has a line of caselaw as long as your arm litigating its definition and ramifications for campaign finance, even just at the federal level. It's not a simple or straightforward area.

define the length of his/her arm

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Happy Birthday from courts

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/875158729771151360

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Pander posted:

Not really. Reasonable restrictions to speech are commonplace. An obvious parallel would be prohibitions on electioneering near polling locations. Simply change distance to time.

I'd love to see public financing of elections but am pretty pessimistic that billionaires would let it fly.

Billionaires would contribute more in a public campaign finance system than other people.

Because they'd pay higher taxes. :getin:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

It's actually a snowstorm so heavy you can only see white

It is a mountain of cocaine and all the colluding parties drowned in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

define the length of his/her arm

24.3 inches.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Discendo Vox is right, "getting private money out of politics" is a good aspiration but implementing and drafting it would be about as straightforward as "bringing back American jobs" or "healthcare for everyone"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Pander posted:

The main reason Westminster systems are able to avoid these extremely long campaigns is because the election dates aren't fixed (and also restrictions on fundraising mean you can't spend money for months on end). I'm not sure how the US could avoid them with the dates known years in advance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Discendo Vox is right, "getting private money out of politics" is a good aspiration but implementing and drafting it would be about as straightforward as "bringing back American jobs" or "healthcare for everyone"

I totally agree I was just being a butt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/875159281812873216

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Ah yes, the pedantry defense of oligarchy and bribery

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Would the special counsel investigation legally have access to Trump's taxes?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pander posted:

Banning people from talking about politics in a self-aggrandizing way at certain times is not going to fly as a time/place/manner restriction.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Other western countries manage to do these things. As mentioned before the US spends (very) roughly 10 times as much on federal elections than Canada, which is outrageous. I do agree it's not simple or easy, much like fixing America's broken healthcare system.

edit: oops ~10 times per capita

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 15, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I feel like he's going to have no choice but to fire Mueller out of sheer desperation as this progresses

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Petr posted:

Would the special counsel investigation legally have access to Trump's taxes?

He has subpoena power, yes. He can use that to demand to see Trump's tax returns.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

24.3 inches.

i believe this is a number you made up and await user ToxicSlurpee to confirm my suspicions, thus invalidating every argument you have ever made.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Weren't there rumors that there was evidence of Ryan and McConnell laundering Russian money into the GOP as well? I seem to recall that, but it may have been Louise Mensch craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nocturtle posted:

Other western countries manage to do these things. As mentioned before the US spends (very) roughly 10 times as much on federal elections than Canada, which is outrageous. I do agree it's not simple or easy, much like fixing America's broken healthcare system.

Well the US has 10 times the population of Canada.

Actually are you sure about that figure? I would have thought we spent less than that up here....

• Locked thread