Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

The book just came out today, come on.

Aren't those panels from a super lovely previous rarc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, is no different to Bruce himself with the globetrotting training and/or the League of Assassins depending the continuity. And having him actual martial art training is a nice way to give him a niche on his own and to differentiate him from Dick, Tim and Damian.

Plus, Lobdell can actually rein himself so the idea doesn't go pants-on-the-head retarded unlike Tynion.

the secret is that everything involving Jason Todd is pants on head retarded and he should die again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Aren't those panels from a super lovely previous rarc?

Im talking about the Forge stuff I dont give a gently caress about Jason Todd.

e: the forge was pretty cool, it's going to live or die based on how it satisfies this setup, which isn't something Snyder is super known for...so we'll see!

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whatever happened with that three Jokers thing?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Revealed to be Doc Manhattan's left ball, dong and right ball.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

It'll probably come up again in Doomsday Clock or something but I'm still hoping against hope that the deafening silence on the issue means that everyone saw how truly stupid the idea was and it'll never be mentioned again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nobody cared since it wasn't the reveal DC promised in the original tease about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CBR, The Forge annotated
http://www.cbr.com/dark-days-forge-annotated-1/

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, this was a great* week after a bit of a lull recently!

Wonder Woman...um....holy poo poo this is just...sad? Like everything about this is just really sad and that's...kinda it? I know Rucka loves his Greek tragedies and whatnot, but is this really how this run is going to conclude? We have one more issue of this in two weeks, and it's apparently an extra-sized issue which is nice...but exactly how extra-sized is it going to have to be so that it's not just "Well, they tried to do the thing, but then they failed to do the thing and there's nothing anyone can do about it and everyone is super sad, the end"?

Detective Comics: Gee. I have to give this issue props for making me...well, not care about exactly, but at least be interested in Azrael's whole shebang, which is like the one single part of the Bat-books I've always literally had no interest in whatsoever. But this is kind of interesting, which is a relief since I thought I wouldn't care about this arc! On top of which, everything else in this issue had everything else that I love about this series, including the continuing awesome relationship development between Cass and Clayface. And I totally forgot about the "surprise guest" of this arc even though I'd known about it from solicits, so the ending of the issue was particularly delightful as well. Still, what's Zatanna doing working at Cobblepot's parties? That's kinda shady, no?

New Super-Man: Pick of the week. Hell, pick of the goddamn month. Pick of the year? gently caress I've come to love this book a whole loving lot. The nice thing is that it's doing a lot to wrap up its ongoing threads right now, which is gonna be great when this book gets cancelled in like two or three issues haha. haha. Ha. :geno:

Hal Jordan and the GLC: Still enjoyable. W00T

Action Comics: I enjoyed this too, surprisingly. Zod and the Eradicator's dialogues were super campy villain generic but it was interesting to see them interact, which hasn't happened before to my knowledge. That twist at the end also took me by surprise, though they'll obviously get it fixed soon.

Dark Days: The Forge...I think I vaguely liked this? I think? It's hard to tell 'cuz I don't really get what's happening in most of the book. Were they still talking about Nth Metal or is there some other kinda of super powerful metal hanging around? Are they suggesting that...every sort of super-powerful metal in the DCU is somehow related to it? That's...actually kinda cool, I guess. Is this the first time Mr. Terrific and PLASTIC MAN have shown up post-Flashpoint? And wait wait, is that Alexander Luthor's multiverse tower thingy? Man, Batman stories always get the best juicy reveals.

Justice League of America...what...is this book anymore? It's...I don't wanna say it's bad, but there's really nothing in it that's particularly good or enjoyable or enticing. Everyone keeps yapping on about how Batman has trust issues and Batman keeps yapping on about how Lobo owes him for something I already forgot about. A shame. It had a lot of potential.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Is this the first time Mr. Terrific and PLASTIC MAN have shown up post-Flashpoint?

Nope . Terrific had a quickly cancelled solo comic at the N52 launch, and went to Earth 2. The other guy was referenced as being in a previous version of the JLI, then that was retconned somewhere in Johns' Justice League where we saw a new contemporary origin, but that was never followed up on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the only Plastic Man anyone wants

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm actually enjoying the sensitive librarian built like Mr. Universe take on Jean-Paul, which is pretty dang impressive considering. I'm enjoying Tynion's take on everybody in the dang Batfamily, honestly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I won't be able to pick up anything until next Thursday since I have to save money for food and gas. All the new books sound so good too.

How are the Looney Tunes crossovers?

purple death ray posted:

I'm actually enjoying the sensitive librarian built like Mr. Universe take on Jean-Paul, which is pretty dang impressive considering. I'm enjoying Tynion's take on everybody in the dang Batfamily, honestly.

Too bad he doesn't know how to rein it in, unlike Scott Lobd- BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
If D_T's voodoo ritual to keep Tynion from ever touching Jason again means that he'll never show up in Detective Comics, then so be it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Roth posted:

How are the Looney Tunes crossovers?

Bugs Bunny/LoSH is good fun.

Marvin the Martian/Martian Manhunter is infinitely better than it has any right to be and makes me want Marvin to just join the DCU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, is no different to Bruce himself with the globetrotting training and/or the League of Assassins depending the continuity. And having him actual martial art training is a nice way to give him a niche on his own and to differentiate him from Dick, Tim and Damian.

All the Robins have martial arts training, I thought Jason's "niche" was the loving pistols he's walking around with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jason's thing is he is a knock off punisher with daddy issues.

Though Damien also fills that niche somewhat.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh that reminds me that if Artemis fucks Jason, I take back every nice thing I ever said about this series

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh that reminds me that if Artemis fucks Jason, I take back every nice thing I ever said about this series

Fuckin' DITTO TO THIS
...series is still okay by me for now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, he can do way better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

All the Robins have martial arts training, I thought Jason's "niche" was the loving pistols he's walking around with.

Yeah that Tom King list is busted, but not the way Dark Anime Tits thinks. Tim should be higher than Jason, he got training from mother loving Shiva.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
And the latest run of Detective Comics portrays Tim with an Amadeus Cho computer brain :v: To be fair, I think most of those rankings stem from the results of Battle for the Cowl.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So hey, since we were talking about it before, some good news: Adam West completed his voice work for the next animated Batman 66 movie before his passing, so it will still see a release. It'll be a nice send-off.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yeah that Tom King list is busted, but not the way Dark Anime Tits thinks. Tim should be higher than Jason, he got training from mother loving Shiva.

Did Tim ever beat Jason since Jason won their fight in Battle For The Cowl?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roth posted:

Too bad he doesn't know how to rein it in, unlike Scott Lobd- BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, Tynion isn't writing Jean Paul to begin with, he's writing Michel Lane masquerading as Jean Paul. See, Tynion is once again writing whatever fan fiction he believes is cool at the moment with little regard to the characters' actual backstory or characterization.

Jean Paul was interesting because the internal struggle he had to control the System and assert his own individuality, to learn to function in normal society after being sheltered his entire live. Making him Azrael 24/7 with zero interest on normal society is missing the entire point of his character.

And just like King, he cribs supporting characters from earlier appearances of the character with no real motive beyond to give an unearned and pointless lip service to the character's story. Nomoz appearance on the recent issue is there only for shock value with contrived retcon to explain his connection with Jean Paul. At least was Nomoz and not Sister Lily nor Brian Bryan the ones used for Tynion for this.

Darth Nat posted:

If D_T's voodoo ritual to keep Tynion from ever touching Jason again means that he'll never show up in Detective Comics, then so be it.

You and me both. Pity Tynion got his hands on Lonnie.

TwoPair posted:

Yes, all of them have martial arts training but each of them customizes it based on their background. With Jason lacking much of the baggage from the other Robins due the decades he spent dead -and you can only do so much with street fighting- adding a distinctive element to his background that also serves to handwave the fact he can go toe to toe with Bruce is an inspired choice. Tying him with mystic elements too also allows the writers to use Jason on more plots than the normally available to Batman characters.

And yeah, guns are part of Jason's playground but not the only thing he has.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jason's thing is he is a knock off punisher with daddy issues.

Though Damien also fills that niche somewhat.

That was back on ´05, now Jason's thing is being the globetrotting member of the bat family and somewhat of a dork outside his costume :v:

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Did Tim ever beat Jason since Jason won their fight in Battle For The Cowl?

Nope.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In response to DR's "not my Azrael" thing I just want to say that Lobdell isn't writing my Red Hood but instead some glorified fan fiction of what he thinks Red Hood is without any understanding of the character. If Lobdell were to write a proper Red Hood Jason Todd would be a skeleton buried at Wayne Manor with a fractured skull.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

In response to DR's "not my Azrael" thing I just want to say that Lobdell isn't writing my Red Hood but instead some glorified fan fiction of what he thinks Red Hood is without any understanding of the character. If Lobdell were to write a proper Red Hood Jason Todd would be a skeleton buried at Wayne Manor with a fractured skull.

Well obviously he isn't writing the same Jason Todd that Max Allan Collins wrote on the 80s but he absolutely understands the character as Winnick wrote him on the original UTRH and he used that understanding to give him depth and a considerable amount of development over the past six years.

Tynion on the other hand has failed to show the same capacities on the books he has written. Every single one of it is only mediocre takes of better stories written by better writers that are only popular because Tynion has learnt to be a crowd pleaser, cramming his stories with "cool moments" that come crashing down as soon as you actually analyze them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tynion has learnt to be a crowd pleaser, cramming his stories with "cool moments" that come crashing down as soon as you actually analyze them.

Cassandra Cain moments come crashing down, all right...
...on her enemies' heads!!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Okay not to change the subject, but yeah let's change the subject.

I am confused as gently caress after reading The Forge. Does this story take place on Earth-Prime? Why does Aquaman have a beard? Do we assume that this story takes place months after the current events in the Aquaman title?

Other than those questions, I thought it was a really good issue. Alexander Luthor's Multiverse Tower popping up was awesome as poo poo. Same with Plastic Man!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

[a long, sustained fart noise]

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I am confused as gently caress after reading The Forge. Does this story take place on Earth-Prime? Why does Aquaman have a beard? Do we assume that this story takes place months after the current events in the Aquaman title?

Aquaman has a beard cause he's about to have a beard.

Here's speculation that DC's going to have eight one-shots by horror authors in October.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/15/brian-keene-teasing-8-dc-specials-horror-authors-halloween/

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aquaman has a beard cause he's about to have a beard.

Here's speculation that DC's going to have eight one-shots by horror authors in October.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/15/brian-keene-teasing-8-dc-specials-horror-authors-halloween/

Oh okay! I didn't see that cover yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That wasn't just a fart.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That wasn't just a fart.

Let a little doodoo out, did he?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

pubic works project posted:

Let a little doodoo out, did he?

"I (shart) Jason Todd"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

"I (shart) Jason Todd"

actual lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am under the impression that DT keeps confusing Lob and Ty and his post makes a lot more sense.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

"I (shart) Jason Todd"

Lmao

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will say my one gripe with Detective Comics is how the young cast (except Cassandra) are written as ultra high tech geniuses. I didn't mind it too much being Red Robin's shtick (though that was getting a bit weary with all the "look at all the awesome tech stuff I installed now") but with Lucious Fox being the ultimate Iron Man fill in it just feels, well not unrelatable, but one dimensional. I love the interactions between the characters (and Cain and Clayface are a joy to read and I would love a backup of them just acting out Shakespeare plays) but Fox is the biggest misfire to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

I will say my one gripe with Detective Comics is how the young cast (except Cassandra) are written as ultra high tech geniuses. I didn't mind it too much being Red Robin's shtick (though that was getting a bit weary with all the "look at all the awesome tech stuff I installed now") but with Lucious Fox being the ultimate Iron Man fill in it just feels, well not unrelatable, but one dimensional. I love the interactions between the characters (and Cain and Clayface are a joy to read and I would love a backup of them just acting out Shakespeare plays) but Fox is the biggest misfire to me.

Luke makes a lot more sense when you look at the angle of, he's the only one in the Batfam who's a junior version of Bruce Wayne instead of Batman. I agree with you though, between Tim, Harper, Luke and apparently Tim taught Stephanie genius hacking before he got got too. It's a little much.