Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MiGoreng and Farmers Union Ice Coffee are the only things you need in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Enjoy getting scurvy.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Starshark posted:

I was quoting a goon who said a similar thing except he was talking about going to restaurants. You know, proper restaurants. Where you go with friends.

I'm choosing to believe it was your opinion anyway and will use it to paint you as an idiot in the future if we should ever disagree on some unrelated point.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

QUACKTASTIC posted:

MiGoreng and Farmers Union Vitasoy Soy Milky Ice Coffee are the only things you need in life

FTFY

Because I'm lactose intolerant, and also dairy is ethically abhorrent and you sir are worse than satan,

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Starshark posted:

Where you go with friends.

I do not comprehend.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol if the media reform ends up a combo of deregulation and trying to get Google/Facebook to pay taxes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Don Dongington posted:

you sir are worse than satan,

Imagine preferring soy milk over being worse than satan.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Something I've always wondered about is why TV broadcasting licenses were (are, although it doesn't matter so much anymore) so restricted? Is it just to protect the existing channels from competition, or is there more to it?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Dear god, do you smell like the toilet at a Magic the Gathering comp?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Don Dongington posted:

Because I'm lactose intolerant, and also dairy is ethically abhorrent and you sir are worse than satan,

There is no such thing as ethical capitalism so your nut juice isn't pure either.

------------------------

I hope we're not stopping Australias Piss Pig Grandad

https://twitter.com/nswpolice/status/875139705792221186

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

Something I've always wondered about is why TV broadcasting licenses were (are, although it doesn't matter so much anymore) so restricted? Is it just to protect the existing channels from competition, or is there more to it?

there is a technical limit to how much bandwidth there is to transmit on, but I don't know if that's all there is to it

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah but it's more than five channels.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
[quote="Bogan King" post="473410095"]
There is no such thing as ethical capitalism so your nut juice isn't pure either.

------------------------

Oh well in that case *drinks coal slurry*

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Still would over almond milk.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Its to protect against one person/group owning all the media outlets in one city/state, because a free and fearless media is an important part of an open democracy and if one person owns it all then they would have too much power to shape public discourse.

Which is yet another thing we have completely hosed up in australia.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/Studio10au/status/875149232159703040

Why on earth is a TV show directly lobbying on TV for a particular government Bill to pass? SURELY, the collapse of Network 10 isn't some immense cartel-like conspiracy to extort media reforms that directly benefit the shareholders of Network 10...? Surely Australian politics isn't THAT corrupt... Surely... surely...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

Its to protect against one person/group owning all the media outlets in one city/state, because a free and fearless media is an important part of an open democracy and if one person owns it all then they would have too much power to shape public discourse.

Which is yet another thing we have completely hosed up in australia.

I understand the rationale behind the ownership restrictions, but I don't understand why there's such a high barrier to entry for TV. Surely it isn't that there are only five companies interested in running a TV station in Australia? I guess it's all academic now that internet speeds are fast enough for streaming video.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Rupert gonna buy it.

Fox News For All!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kafka Syrup posted:

https://twitter.com/Studio10au/status/875149232159703040

Why on earth is a TV show directly lobbying on TV for a particular government Bill to pass? SURELY, the collapse of Network 10 isn't some immense cartel-like conspiracy to extort media reforms that directly benefit the shareholders of Network 10...? Surely Australian politics isn't THAT corrupt... Surely... surely...

You're new to this, aren't you?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

I understand the rationale behind the ownership restrictions, but I don't understand why there's such a high barrier to entry for TV. Surely it isn't that there are only five companies interested in running a TV station in Australia? I guess it's all academic now that internet speeds are fast enough for streaming video.

You ask this question in a politics thread. Take a wild guess.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

You Am I posted:

You're new to this, aren't you?

I am but a young, naive hack.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

The airspace is valuable and it can be sold for more elsewhere. See how the government are pulling community tv off the air this month.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Maybe if Channel 10 wasn't a flaming pile of dogshit then people might watch it?

I'm pretty sure this is the vaunted free market at work here, so they probably should suck it up because they wanted capitalism

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Do people really buy into all this created jobs fluff? I'd love to think a guy stuck in a terrible, low paying job who barely gets enough hours to feed his family is going to see these figues and be impressed.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Most likely Rupert Murdoch is lobbying the liberals to change the media ownership laws, arguing that if they could just give him a TV channel, they will definitely win the next election.

It doesn't matter that all 3 private networks skew massively right and shill for the Liberals anyway - because the Project exists, 10 has to go.

So Rupes will buy 10, rename it to Fox10, gut any local non-reality content and drop overheads by not having to pay himself for the Simpsons etc, but mostly operate it as a platform to run editorialised news programming that will make ACA blush.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
RIP Toadie.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Also (and I know I am going to regret this) Hobo Erotica it is (yet another) an example of kicking down, not up. If a fat person commentates on their difficulties in society it is completely different to a thin/average weight person complaining about the difficulties of having a fat person around. As a journalist the nuance of this should be constantly on their mind when making copy. It is a fine line between empathy and advocacy to outright fat shaming.

It wasn't a complaint, and it wasn't really kicking. Mia is a huge fan of Roxanne and that was abundantly clear before, during, and after the interview. Look, mentioning the planning process was meant in the same vein as the interview. You're right, it is a fine line, and this was a slip. It was a mistake, it was insensitive, and it's been acknowledged as such and unreservedly apologized for. Mia is explicitly about positive body image and acceptance. So, my question is about the vitriolic response directed towards Mia, which seems to go far beyond this issue. If it is such a fine line, why so much hate? And don't say 'interns' because none of it was about that.

If you're going with the "kicking down" thing, it feels closer to something like "accidentally touched her with her foot" rather than "deliberately and maliciously kicked her down."

I guess I'm talking mostly about the way pedestrian covered it, but the comments on SMH and ABC and everything else are the same. People are likening it bludgeoning her with a gavel, disgusting, etc, calling her a horrible oval office, shameful, trash, pathetic arsehole, literally sickening etc. It's hard to believe they really care that much about the planning details for Gay's book tour being mentioned in the context of how different it is for people of different sizes to exist in the world, it seems like there is something else going on. She wasn't trashing another woman's body, she was saying it makes some things logistically tricky, that was the point. To be honest I think that part of the problem was that Roxanne didn't know about the questions that her publicist asked and was surprised to learn them.

It looks like we have a woman who has independently built a women's media platform from nothing, in a landscape (and culture) dominated by male voices, she talks honestly and openly about all sorts of things, specifically about being a woman today. And she's just being jumped on, not just for this, but for her whole career. And that's interesting to me, and I thought it would be here too. Especially since we're talking about media networks coming and going etc. A lot of the attacks seem gendered and its surprising what people let pass.

I've asked people to give me any examples of how shes an anti-feminist or whatever, but no results yet.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I only lurked LF; never posted. But I do remember the great debate in D&D Auspol re: beetroot vs pineapple on a burger

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Endman posted:

I only lurked LF; never posted. But I do remember the great debate in D&D Auspol re: beetroot vs pineapple on a burger

What debate? Pineapple and hot sauce was unanimously agreed upon from memory.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Endman posted:

where's the egg?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Birdstrike posted:

where's the egg?

on your face m8

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lizard Combatant posted:

What debate? Pineapple and hot sauce was unanimously agreed upon from memory.

Pineapple? Disgusting. Beetroot on a burger is god-tier burgermaking though.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lizard Combatant posted:

on your face m8

:pusheen:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birdstrike posted:

where's the egg?

on my kebabs

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

It wasn't a complaint, and it wasn't really kicking. Mia is a huge fan of Roxanne and that was abundantly clear before, during, and after the interview. Look, mentioning the planning process was meant in the same vein as the interview. You're right, it is a fine line, and this was a slip. It was a mistake, it was insensitive, and it's been acknowledged as such and unreservedly apologized for. Mia is explicitly about positive body image and acceptance. So, my question is about the vitriolic response directed towards Mia, which seems to go far beyond this issue. If it is such a fine line, why so much hate? And don't say 'interns' because none of it was about that.

If you're going with the "kicking down" thing, it feels closer to something like "accidentally touched her with her foot" rather than "deliberately and maliciously kicked her down."

I guess I'm talking mostly about the way pedestrian covered it, but the comments on SMH and ABC and everything else are the same. People are likening it bludgeoning her with a gavel, disgusting, etc, calling her a horrible oval office, shameful, trash, pathetic arsehole, literally sickening etc. It's hard to believe they really care that much about the planning details for Gay's book tour being mentioned in the context of how different it is for people of different sizes to exist in the world, it seems like there is something else going on. She wasn't trashing another woman's body, she was saying it makes some things logistically tricky, that was the point. To be honest I think that part of the problem was that Roxanne didn't know about the questions that her publicist asked and was surprised to learn them.

It looks like we have a woman who has independently built a women's media platform from nothing, in a landscape (and culture) dominated by male voices, she talks honestly and openly about all sorts of things, specifically about being a woman today. And she's just being jumped on, not just for this, but for her whole career. And that's interesting to me, and I thought it would be here too. Especially since we're talking about media networks coming and going etc. A lot of the attacks seem gendered and its surprising what people let pass.

I've asked people to give me any examples of how shes an anti-feminist or whatever, but no results yet.

A woman hosed up, so it's getting much more attention and reprobation in the public sphere, but she still hosed up. Calling herself Fat and writing about her experience doesn't give licence to other people to say they don't like saying fat so you're actually 'clinically super morbidly obese' - like, thanks that feels so much more empowering than THE F WORD that only seems to be scary to women who've never seen the wrong side of a 26 BMI.

eta: my only regular exposure to her is via mamamia spoilers so I don't exactly have a high opinion of them anyway. It's clickbait gossip rags dressing up in digital shoes and trying to pretend it's better/different than women's day.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 15, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Kafka Syrup posted:

Surely Australian politics isn't THAT corrupt... Surely... surely...

Helicopter rides, government entitlement rorts, bags of cash, head of the ATO caught in a massive tax rort...
Failing a business in such a way to get around media ownership laws??? :shrug:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Do people really buy into all this created jobs fluff? I'd love to think a guy stuck in a terrible, low paying job who barely gets enough hours to feed his family is going to see these figues and be impressed.

Yes. But if the UK has taught us anything, you can only lie about it so much before people stop believing you.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I just threw up a bit.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

A woman hosed up, so it's getting much more attention and reprobation in the public sphere, but she still hosed up. Calling herself Fat and writing about her experience doesn't give licence to other people to say they don't like saying fat so you're actually 'clinically super morbidly obese' - like, thanks that feels so much more empowering than THE F WORD that only seems to be scary to women who've never seen the wrong side of a 26 BMI.

"Super morbidly obese" is the clinical term, "fat" is pretty generic and doesn't really provide the right detail. I think that's what she meant when she said she didn't want to say fat in the intro. It wasn't scary to her, she said fat throughout the interview.

Again, arguably insensitive, but hardly worth the shame it's brought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Beetroot should not be on burgers. Pineapple only if it's a special pineapple burger like the pinegalo.

• Locked thread