Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Money laundering eh? No poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The always more, always worse refrain is worth restarting.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Fixing the American system is very easy: get private money out of politics. Candidates should be able to use only public funds. Not even their own money.

Boom. Fixed.

Cause as we all know, poor racists never vote.

Or are we going to redo the "racism is a myth invented by the rich so they could steal those precious bus seats up the front" thing again?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/elizabethcrisp/status/875161900396556288

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Well the US has 10 times the population of Canada.

Actually are you sure about that figure? I would have thought we spent less than that up here....

Sorry I meant ~10 times per capita (!).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nocturtle posted:

Other western countries manage to do these things. As mentioned before the US spends (very) roughly 10 times as much on federal elections than Canada, which is outrageous. I do agree it's not simple or easy, much like fixing America's broken healthcare system.

I am not aware of any countries that entirely restrict political campaign finance to public funds. The ones that have public candidate financing have either a party-heavy parallel finance structure, or PACs like the united states. This is what's at issue under litigation over "private" and "use".

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Party Plane Jones posted:

Neutering the Electoral College would just require having more than enough states to push over the 270 EV total to sign onto the compact that allocates their EV to the popular vote winner. They're currently at 165.

I don't understand why this is a good idea. Clearly, deep-red states are never ever going to sign on to this. If only blue states sign on, then the only possible effect it could have would be to hand over what might otherwise be Democratic EVs to the Republicans.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

He has subpoena power, yes. He can use that to demand to see Trump's tax returns.

Hey leakers

You know what to do.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I am not aware of any countries that entirely restrict political campaign finance to public funds. The ones that have public candidate financing have either a party-heavy parallel finance structure, or PACs like the united states. This is what's at issue under litigation over "private" and "use".

From Wikipedia article on 2015 Canadian federal election :

Wikipedia posted:

Registered third parties[edit]
A person or group must register as a third party immediately after incurring election advertising expenses totalling $500 or more.[86] There are strict limits on advertising expenses, and specific limits that can be incurred to promote or oppose the election of one or more candidates in a particular electoral district. There were 112 registered third parties in the 2015 election.[87] There was a $150,000 election advertising expenses limit. Of that amount, no more than $8,788 could be incurred to promote or oppose the election of one or more candidates in a particular electoral district.[87]

So in Canada at least even private citizens and groups can only spend so much on election-related advertising.

edit: This is on top of party spending limits of course.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Having missed a lot of pages, I just assumed talk about this story was banned or relegated to another thread, but nope, new Trump news so wild and crazy everyone has moved on already. Thank God for president Trump.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nocturtle posted:

So in Canada at least even private citizens and groups can only spend so much on election-related advertising.

Thats also how it was before Citizens United V. Clinton. All you'd be doing is taking things back to how it was pre-2009.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

So I feel like Muehler gave his team the go ahead to leak some stuff today, considering how much silence we had before today

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Petr posted:

I don't understand why this is a good idea. Clearly, deep-red states are never ever going to sign on to this. If only blue states sign on, then the only possible effect it could have would be to hand over what might otherwise be Democratic EVs to the Republicans.

It's better thought out than that. It doesn't kick in until they have more than 270 EVs. Once that happens the compact states determine the outcome entirely, other states be damned.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I like how right wingers claiming there's no evidence of wrongdoing seems to keep them compelled. Like theyre totally ignorant if how investigations work. Evidence is necessarily secret while depositions are collected.

Hey I can't see your cards so you obviously have no hand, as if everyone were to subsist entirely in poo poo-talk just because trump is prez and that's how things work from now on.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petr posted:

Hey leakers

You know what to do.

Trump has three emoluments lawsuits spinning up right now with two of them seeming actually serious. Even if they don't ultimately win one of them may lead to a lot of financial history getting spilled publically.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

HappyHippo posted:

It's better thought out than that. It doesn't kick in until they have more than 270 EVs. Once that happens the compact states determine the outcome entirely, other states be damned.

I guess that's relatively idiot-proof, though I'm not sure how we're going to get to 270 without the aid of states who would clearly see the compact as against their self-interest.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Petr posted:

No. If the compact reaches 270 votes then it makes the whole blue state red state thing superfluous. If it has reached 270 votes, it means that it includes at least some swing states that have agreed to assign their votes to the national vote winner.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875166406417010688

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol@republicans

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/875166972614516737

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nocturtle posted:

Canada's electoral system operates through pre-election spending that persists into the election period (thereby evading limits), through nominally non-electioneering communications (identical to American 501s, why "election advertising", i.e., "use" is litigated), and a parallel party contribution and funding structure.

Canada has analogous bundling, corporate, and PAC systems and related communication issues to the US. Private money is still a major function of political speech in that country.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 15, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
hope you like hearing about actually leaks, and, actually lynch
e: goddamnit ew

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump has three emoluments lawsuits spinning up right now with two of them seeming actually serious. Even if they don't ultimately win one of them may lead to a lot of financial history getting spilled publically.

Yeah, but...what then? What happens as a result of that coming to light?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

:lol:

They still have nothing better than "Hillary, Hillary, Hillary"

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

I haven't read all that but what is the point of trying to discredit something if that thing is actually happening?

What is the point of trump claiming comey told him he was not under investigation? Like the investigation would be cancelled if a guy who used to work at the FBI once said there was no investigation. It's almost as if the guy thinks he's still running a loving reality show or something.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Petr posted:

I guess that's relatively idiot-proof, though I'm not sure how we're going to get to 270 without the aid of states who would clearly see the compact as against their self-interest.

It does seem unlikely. It depends on what you mean by self-interest though. Are Texas' interests served better by having Republicans in the White House, or by being pandered to by presidential candidates? Because if it's the latter than the compact makes sense for them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

theres a will theres moe posted:

It's almost as if the guy thinks he's still running a loving reality show or something.

Congratulations, you've discovered the Trump Doctrine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

skylined! posted:

i believe this is a number you made up and await user ToxicSlurpee to confirm my suspicions, thus invalidating every argument you have ever made.

Well that depends on how you define "inches." Do you mean imperial inches as used in the U.S. or, say, the inches (or other standard unit) used in, say, 17th century France? I'd argue that an "inch" can be nearly anything you want so my arm is simultaneously 24.3 inches and not 24.3 inches. Do any of us truly know what an "inch" is? Like all things it is illusory so we must also decide on which era said law defining said "inch" was drafted within and use that definition. We must also agree on the definition of "arm." Do you mean grasping appendage attached to a human body? Does one's arm length change if said arms are amputated? One could argue that a typical "arm" can be as little as 1 inch long in some cases. Also we must decide, for future precedent, what is included in said "arm." If you mean only the length of the bone (as the size of soft tissue can change over time; I have been gaining weight lately so the dimensions of my soft tissues have been increasing overall) then it is difficult or impossible to measure properly as one cannot directly access said bones. Does one include the hand? Where does one's "arm" end and one's "torso" begin? Can we even be certain said body parts exist? Can you prove that I even exist? How can anything truly exist when everything is made up of atoms which are almost 100% empty space. It can be argued that nothing has "length" as matter is so close to being entirely empty that we can treat it as if it didn't even exist in the first place. How does one measure that which does not exist?

The comparison of legal print to arms is also ludicrous; how are you printing it? If it is printed in 0.0000001 point font on 5' x 5' paper it could potentially be as thick a stack of print as a hair. Conversely you could print it in 144 point font on post-it notes and get quite a long legal document indeed!

If the arm does not exist you must acquit!

(...it's about 27" long apparently, fingertip to shoulder joint, but I probably measured it badly)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I haven't read all that but what is the point of trying to discredit something if that thing is actually happening?

What is the point of trump claiming co.ey told him he was not under investigation? Like the investigation would be cancelled if a guy who used to work at the FBI once said there was no investigation. It's almost as if the guy thinks he's still running a loving reality show or something.

They're trying to spin it to prevent what is almost certainly going to be an insanely long investigation from hurting them politically until the very last second. If Trump is in super deep poo poo, then why would we trust him to pass laws that help america or be trusted by foreign leaders (stop laughing). Plus he is the party now, just like how democrats were viewed as the party of Obama when he was in office

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, but...what then? What happens as a result of that coming to light?

It potentially reveals shady and/or illegal dealings, which continue to sink Republicans' chances in 2018/20

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What is the point of trump claiming comey told him he was not under investigation? Like the investigation would be cancelled if a guy who used to work at the FBI once said there was no investigation. It's almost as if the guy thinks he's still running a loving reality show or something.

His base is that dumb dude

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They seriously seem to believe that if they can just get the public to not believe it, then it will shut down the investigation.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

awesmoe posted:

Trying to have their cake and eat it too with respect to Comey's testimony. Comey is credible when talking about Clinton and Lynch, but not when talking about Trump. For some reason.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Talking points are just "what you should say when a reporter sticks a mic in your face and asks you about it". you have to have SOME response, and spur of the moment responses tend to be bad. so they went with these, which are...not good, but better than someone looking like a deer in the headlights and then saying "of course he can obstruct justice if he wants to, he's the president, we talked about it last night"

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well that depends on how you define "inches." Do you mean imperial inches as used in the U.S. or, say, the inches (or other standard unit) used in, say, 17th century France? I'd argue that an "inch" can be nearly anything you want so my arm is simultaneously 24.3 inches and not 24.3 inches. Do any of us truly know what an "inch" is? Like all things it is illusory so we must also decide on which era said law defining said "inch" was drafted within and use that definition. We must also agree on the definition of "arm." Do you mean grasping appendage attached to a human body? Does one's arm length change if said arms are amputated? One could argue that a typical "arm" can be as little as 1 inch long in some cases. Also we must decide, for future precedent, what is included in said "arm." If you mean only the length of the bone (as the size of soft tissue can change over time; I have been gaining weight lately so the dimensions of my soft tissues have been increasing overall) then it is difficult or impossible to measure properly as one cannot directly access said bones. Does one include the hand? Where does one's "arm" end and one's "torso" begin? Can we even be certain said body parts exist? Can you prove that I even exist? How can anything truly exist when everything is made up of atoms which are almost 100% empty space. It can be argued that nothing has "length" as matter is so close to being entirely empty that we can treat it as if it didn't even exist in the first place. How does one measure that which does not exist?

The comparison of legal print to arms is also ludicrous; how are you printing it? If it is printed in 0.0000001 point font on 5' x 5' paper it could potentially be as thick a stack of print as a hair. Conversely you could print it in 144 point font on post-it notes and get quite a long legal document indeed!

(...it's about 27" long apparently, fingertip to shoulder joint, but I probably measured it badly)

the mountains in montana are also all just empty space

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thank God that Trump is such an idiot that a Representative potentially being shot and killed doesn't take the news off him for too long.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

OK, now you're just reaching :rimshot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

all the reporters are laughing about how the rnc talking poimts ranting against leaks ... got leaked

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

It's literally propaganda meant to confuse idiots dude.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

They're trying to spin it to prevent what is almost certainly going to be an insanely long investigation from hurting them politically until the very last second. If Trump is in super deep poo poo, then why would we trust him to pass laws that help america or be trusted by foreign leaders (stop laughing). Plus he is the party now, just like how democrats were viewed as the party of Obama when he was in office

they're primarily playing to the suicide switch base

as long as he can keep the hardcore supporters on board, republicans cant touch them.

if 2018 comes and the republicans lose the house, than some poo poo is really gonna hit the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/875167045415043072

Bonus: https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/875069000291627009

• Locked thread