Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Regy Rusty posted:

The John Wick movies would be considerably lesser without the Continental and everything that goes with it.

Dunno if there's enough substance there to sustain a TV series but it certainly has my interest.

This is correct and I read an article today about the John Wick producers shopping a Continental TV show to networks. It would focus on the other assassins who stay at Continentals all over the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

This is correct and I read an article today about the John Wick producers shopping a Continental TV show to networks. It would focus on the other assassins who stay at Continentals all over the world.

I don't care about the rest of the world unless Lance Reddick is at the main desk of every single one of them.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

X-O posted:

I guess Gong Show is just going to lean hard really into being trainwreck TV.

So, staying true to its roots as The Gong Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJHKVQ2kLA

Rhyno posted:

Because he's been trying to get another Wayne's World or Austin Powers film going for close to 10 years and nobody wants anything to do with either property anymore.

If two and a half decades of showbiz scuttlebutt and juice goose are to be believed - and they always are - I think nobody wants anything to do with Mike Myers anymore. (The Love Guru's box office probably didn't help things.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know, there should really be a warning label on this that it might give you nightmares for the rest of your life.

Excuse me while I wrestle with lifelong fears of spiders crawling in my head and laying eggs while I sleep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JethroMcB posted:

If two and a half decades of showbiz scuttlebutt and juice goose are to be believed - and they always are - I think nobody wants anything to do with Mike Myers anymore. (The Love Guru's box office probably didn't help things.)

God I hope so. He's overstayed his welcome as is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ShakeZula posted:

I wonder if he feels like Austin Powers just needs to do the 80s to complete the sequence

I still feel like they missed the boat on making an Austin Powers about cheesy 60/70s/80s Bond squaring off against a grim Jason Bourne Daniel Craig parkour type.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-O posted:

I still don't quite know why Mike Myers is playing a fake host for it.

I think I mentioned this when it was first announced, but it's an insanely stupid gag that makes about as much sense as Paul Reubens playing a fake host on the You Don't Know Jack TV show from like fifteen years ago.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

That was literally how this entire conversation started

Also Snak's Americans description is extremely charitable. The show he's describing would be Extremely My poo poo but the show as it exists is far more like Shagletic's description.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X-O posted:

I guess Gong Show is just going to lean hard really into being trainwreck TV. I still don't quite know why Mike Myers is playing a fake host for it.
Yeah, it feels like an SNL sketch. It would feel more natural if he were being himself, but Mike Myers is known for having really bizarre demands in productions he's involved with and throwing a fit when he doesn't get his way.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If Myers really wanted to make another Wayne's World or Powers he'd trade it for a Shrek

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He was on Kimmel a while back, when Will Arnett guest hosted, as his fake host persona. It was weird.

EDIT: Ah, I knew Youtube would have a clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e64HSt6HsJI

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Timby posted:

I think I mentioned this when it was first announced, but it's an insanely stupid gag that makes about as much sense as Paul Reubens playing a fake host on the You Don't Know Jack TV show from like fifteen years ago.

Oh my God, that was 16 years ago. Which is how old I was when it aired :( Anyhow, in Reubens' case it made some modicum of sense. Throw on a stupid wig and a loud suit, anything to help people forget the last time they probably saw him:

Reubens and Myers are both the kinds of guys who only seem comfortable when they're being anyone other than themselves. That probably plays into it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love how the dude is in his mid to late 30s in that picture at maybe the lowest point of his life and still looks ten years younger than he actually is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

Totally agree, but they didn't serve the main plot, halted the pacing of the storytelling and were indulgent creative flourishes from the creators aimed with the intent of world building, character moments and fun.

Middleone praised Patriot for bucking the trend of the indulgent non-critical sideplots of the The Young Pope, Legion and Preacher when I'm trying to point out it did exactly the same thing.

That all depends on whether you consider the Iran-money or another day in the life of a very depressed spy the main plot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the main plot is the delivery of memes from A to B.

Where A is the show and B is our brain.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whichever option you choose, the other 50% of the plotlines don't serve it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Patriot was eclectic as hell but I thought it all fit together pretty perfectly.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Pacing and a forward moving plot wasn't exactly it's strong suit though. It took nearly half the season to work out why half the stuff we were watching was relevant.

It felt more like a season of Boardwalk Empire where most of the season was spent setting up all the chess pieces and the final 3-4 episodes would bring it all together gloriously.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I would not call Patriot "plot-driven".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's debatable. Everything pivots around the the ongoing farce and ties back into it. Even canoe man at his most egregious ties directly into the main plot in the very same episode he's the focus of. John Travner seems to hate his job, why hasn't he tried to quit at any point? Canoe man exists to show that he has tried and that he can't. He also helps move the story along with the album. Again while Travner is the main character the farce is the main plot, why things can't return to normality and why they keep cascading into insanity is what the entire show is about. Patriot is to some degree character driven but at the same time I'd argue that it's distinctively not in how it paces itself. The show spends a lot of time building on characters for future events but it never allows them to detract from the episode they are in. The pacing never drops.

To put this in contrast, the last episode of American Gods spent a staggering 39 minutes of its run-time on flashbacks to a character that's not part of the story to end on a note that might as well be summed up with 'gently caress you'. Whatever momentum the season had going just deflated like the worlds saddest balloon to establish one aspect of one side character that's not even the focus of the flashbacks ostensibly about him. Apparently, leprechauns are fickle. Thank you show, clearly that couldn't have been communicated in any other way. You know, except that character being fickle since the very first episode he was introduced in making this entire thing pointless. Oh well.

It doesn't serve any real purpose and is a complete waste of time. There's like 10 minutes that are actually relevant to moving the story forward. (crow, crash, coin) In a better show they would have been part of an episode focused on the main plot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Actually all of that in American Gods was directly relevant to the character of Sweeney, who is in the main plot. Not just to "establish one aspect of his character...that he is fickle."

It layed out his entire coming to America and also explained most of how he works/his moral code.

But mostly, lol at the idea that the point of stories is to advance a main plot, and shorter stories have no value of their own and are a waste. That's basically antithetical to the entire concept of American Gods, so it's not surprising that you don't like it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You say directly relevant and I say un-focused.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

American Gods is better off for not focusing on the plot IMO (this was maybe the best episode of the season), but it's probably going to hurt the show in the long run.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

You say directly relevant and I say un-focused.

Because you think the story is the plot and the goal of the entire show is to move the plot forward.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well it's not a sitcom, soap opera or procedural so.... Yes? I mean the show keeps teasing this conflict between new and old gods so I'm not sure if you're on the same page as the show itself. :shrug:

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on Game of Thrones?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 15, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Most tarantulas have urticating hairs that they use to sting and mess with predators and I can't imagine how that would feel if they got in your mouth. :gonk:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That massive flashback in the last American Gods really killed the show for me RIGHT as I was fully getting into it. I'm not adverse to the idea, but I didn't find the story of the woman with the stories interesting or meaningful in the slightest. My least favourite of all the interludes so far.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do not care for Game of Thrones at all. It has good actors and good production value, but that's about it. Not my cup of tea.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

I do not care for Game of Thrones at all. It has good actors and good production value, but that's about it. Not my cup of tea.

Not a fan of tits and dragons?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched Oh, Hello on Broadway (on Netflix) and it was wonderful.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Snak posted:

Because you think the story is the plot and the goal of the entire show is to move the plot forward.
Yeah American Gods is a road trip show with a bunch of side stories along the way to flavor the mythology of these old gods coming to america.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Isn't Patriot ultimately a satire of pacing? The A to B theme - it was Zeno's dichotomy paradox; getting something from A to B requires a step half the distance (another transfer from A to B) but that requires a transfer too and so on. Each of those transfers have a chance to go wrong and they generally do in Patriot, on all sides.
The plot moves forward but in doing so puts point B further away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched Oh, Hello on Broadway (on Netflix) and it was wonderful.

While watching did you participate in any cucaine?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved the last episode of American Gods and am firmly in the camp of "the plot of AG is secondary to the road trip/storytelling world building."

I still think the season's shaping up to be a little too short, though. Like I can totally see how S1 was about world building and not plot movement and I'm down with that, but they probably could have balanced it a little more for the people who are focused on plot over character and I'm a little concerned that the finale's going to feel like a short stop of plot.

But we'll see. I've largely enjoyed things so far so I'm good for the ride. I'm mostly just concerned about the show losing its audience but I have no idea how that works with subscription cable shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, they had to cut 2 episodes for budget reasons, right?

So it's not like we're getting what they intended, we're getting a compromise that had to be made because of the nature of production. Unforseen difficulties happen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

I still feel like they missed the boat on making an Austin Powers about cheesy 60/70s/80s Bond squaring off against a grim Jason Bourne Daniel Craig parkour type.

The Austin Powers movies were the ones I really wanted to watch when I was in school because everyone else in my class had seen them but my mum wouldn't let me because they were too ribald. I think I saw Goldmember eventually but to this day I've seen neither of the first two.

I'm not sure if they're worth seeking out. I'm more familiar with what they're parodying now than I would have been then (James Bond mainly but also every single ITC adventure show Lew Grade produced in the 1960s but especially Peter Wyngarde as Jason King).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

I mean, they had to cut 2 episodes for budget reasons, right?

So it's not like we're getting what they intended, we're getting a compromise that had to be made because of the nature of production. Unforseen difficulties happen.

Ah, I didn't know that. It certainly helps explain things and puts it in a different perspective. I still hope it doesn't hurt them overall, but I looked and see they already have a second season so that's good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What I heard is they realized mid production that they needed to do some expensive reshoots to make existing episodes work (I think they had to rebuild the bar set and reshoot everything there), so they ended up being able to afford 2 less episodes, but they knew early enough to restructure stuff for a shorter season. So it's not like the end of the season is just gone​, but they were planning to have a bit more space to tell the story in.

I actually can't remember if it's one or 2 episodes that were cut... The next season should be "full" length though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Austin Powers movies were the ones I really wanted to watch when I was in school because everyone else in my class had seen them but my mum wouldn't let me because they were too ribald. I think I saw Goldmember eventually but to this day I've seen neither of the first two.

I'm not sure if they're worth seeking out. I'm more familiar with what they're parodying now than I would have been then (James Bond mainly but also every single ITC adventure show Lew Grade produced in the 1960s but especially Peter Wyngarde as Jason King).

I'm not sure Austin Powers would hold up. Parts of it probably do, I mean dick jokes never get old, but I suspect those movies reek of their time. Probably also helped if you were a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MiddleOne posted:

That's debatable. Everything pivots around the the ongoing farce and ties back into it. Even canoe man at his most egregious ties directly into the main plot in the very same episode he's the focus of. John Travner seems to hate his job, why hasn't he tried to quit at any point? Canoe man exists to show that he has tried and that he can't. He also helps move the story along with the album. Again while Travner is the main character the farce is the main plot, why things can't return to normality and why they keep cascading into insanity is what the entire show is about. Patriot is to some degree character driven but at the same time I'd argue that it's distinctively not in how it paces itself. The show spends a lot of time building on characters for future events but it never allows them to detract from the episode they are in. The pacing never drops.

To put this in contrast, the last episode of American Gods spent a staggering 39 minutes of its run-time on flashbacks to a character that's not part of the story to end on a note that might as well be summed up with 'gently caress you'. Whatever momentum the season had going just deflated like the worlds saddest balloon to establish one aspect of one side character that's not even the focus of the flashbacks ostensibly about him. Apparently, leprechauns are fickle. Thank you show, clearly that couldn't have been communicated in any other way. You know, except that character being fickle since the very first episode he was introduced in making this entire thing pointless. Oh well.

It doesn't serve any real purpose and is a complete waste of time. There's like 10 minutes that are actually relevant to moving the story forward. (crow, crash, coin) In a better show they would have been part of an episode focused on the main plot.

Or. Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, maybe American Gods doesn't really give a gently caress about plot momentum, and "relevance" to the plot misses that the show is trying to be expansive in its scope. If you didn't like that particular story, that's fair, but if the way you evaluate television is based on how tight the plot is and how much forward momentum it has, do not watch American Gods. This is not meant as a knock on your taste, it's just that the showrunners of American Gods are operating in a different mode from most other TV shows, and it's not a mode to everyone's taste.

• Locked thread