Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BenRGamer posted:

Yeah, I was mostly thinking about cosmetics, UI mods, and maybe some items because I didn't want to radically change the game. But I might try that Allies Unknown because that looks cool af.

edit: looking at the photos...I didn't know Turians were british.

edit 2: Wait, it says it requires a mod that requires Long War 2. Uncool.

Allies Unknown doesn't require Long War. It has some built in compatibility that triggers with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The expansion sounds loving wild and completely eliminates any disappointment I had over Shadow of War being delayed. I might even enjoy it more than Enemy Within.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 14, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Dandywalken posted:

An ethnic stereotypes mod would be terrific.

That was E3 this year, where were you?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Time to load this back up and play the gently caress out of it again in anticipation of the expansion. Here's hoping all the mods I had didn't get taken down without a word, because Steam sure as poo poo won't tell me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I hope they do english voices with stereotypical accents.
Dunno about "stereotypical", but just more English voices with actual different accents would honestly be great. Everyone in a multinational group of people babbling away at eachother in their own languages just doesn't make sense, they're gonna have a lingua franca (which usually is English) and they will likely have their own accents.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of good voice mods already. But I still want more. Sealab voices when?

Edit: and 12 oz mouse. And squidbillies.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I think you're all overlooking something big here:

Jake Solomon posted:

On the possibility of XCOM on the Switch: “I can truly say that I have no idea. I’d be happy, but I truly have not had that conversation, so I don’t know. Wait, what are you talking about, Mario+Rabbids, man! I just saw Luigi take half-cover yesterday, so I dunno, they beat us to it, I guess. It was pretty cool.”

“Honestly, my jaw dropped a little when I saw it, but I thought it was pretty cool. It can’t be a bad thing. I’m excited to see how they do it. My fellow designer said ‘I’m interested to see how they handle autopsies.

Tygan posted:

"The Rabbid, or lapin cretin, is a remarkable species; capable of assuming the characteristics of other series' characters, while retaining their characteristic annoying traits..."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Light Gun Man posted:

There are a lot of good voice mods already. But I still want more. Sealab voices when?

Edit: and 12 oz mouse. And squidbillies.
"DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM"- Skyranger pilot during evac

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are there voice packs for enemies?

Gatekeeper opens his shell for a special attack. "IGNORE ME!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ran across a bit of interesting info on the IGN sites - dunno how reliable this is, but supposedly Firaxis explained why the different resistance groups hate each other.

Reapers are people who survived the WMD attacks on the major cities and survived in the zombie-infested ruins. They're the HUMANITY gently caress YEAH faction and hate both aliens and psionics. They want the aliens and everything they brought with them dead and gone.

Scrappers (new/different name for the Skirmishers?) are the human/alien hybrids, mostly early ADVENT before the psionic network was established. They want to free the ADVENT and aliens' from the Elders' control and see us as all in this together.

Templars are humans who have natively developed psionic powers and it's ambiguous if they arose after the invasion or have always been here. They want everyone to become psionic and want to beat the Elders at their own game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm with the Scrappers, personally. The mutons and sectoids and so on that we fight are not evil in themselves, they're mental slaves. They're victims too, and I hope one day humans and aliens can live in harmony together. And not just because I want to see a world where I can have coffee with a lady snake.

Actually, that makes me wonder what does happen to the aliens after the events of the endgame. It looks like ADVENT more or less tries to keep its grip, albeit without mind control, and so the supertactics and instant squad response times of their soldiers are a thing of the past, and sure, maybe the more traditionally brainwashed troops would stick around since that's all they know, but I have a harder time believing the Vipers and Mutons, described as intelligent and proud respectively, would continue serving under the yoke of a bunch of assholes, especially since they were mentally enslaved in the first place.
All I'm saying is if the ending cutscene had a muton charge the ADVENT roadblock with the rest of the humans, that would've made my day.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pretty sure most of the aliens are gonna be loyal to the Ethereals forever. They didn't have to dominate them with psionics during EU.

Probably has to do with the fact that the aliens seem to have total control over their reproduction so rebelling would mean extinction.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Vib Rib posted:

I'm with the Scrappers, personally. The mutons and sectoids and so on that we fight are not evil in themselves, they're mental slaves. They're victims too, and I hope one day humans and aliens can live in harmony together. And not just because I want to see a world where I can have coffee with a lady snake.

"Hot coffee." I know your game, Vib Rib. Do you want XCOM-2 to be banned???

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You mean to say that Templars are not literally the Protoss?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bholder posted:

You mean to say that Templars are not literally the Protoss?

A wromhole opened up and dropped the Protoss off into Xcom's world. The Zerg got dumped into Gollop's new game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress you Spectrum Green

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This is Jimmy, commander.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Ran across a bit of interesting info on the IGN sites - dunno how reliable this is, but supposedly Firaxis explained why the different resistance groups hate each other.

Reapers are people who survived the WMD attacks on the major cities and survived in the zombie-infested ruins. They're the HUMANITY gently caress YEAH faction and hate both aliens and psionics. They want the aliens and everything they brought with them dead and gone.

Scrappers (new/different name for the Skirmishers?) are the human/alien hybrids, mostly early ADVENT before the psionic network was established. They want to free the ADVENT and aliens' from the Elders' control and see us as all in this together.

Templars are humans who have natively developed psionic powers and it's ambiguous if they arose after the invasion or have always been here. They want everyone to become psionic and want to beat the Elders at their own game.

So Reapers are basically crazy prepper assholes who have actually survived and still live in a zombie apocalypse who really don't trust anyone but they can learn to get along with the crazy commandos who come in and apply a whole lot of really loud boom to enemies while they sneak around the periphery.

The Scrappers have a very personal beef with likely narrowly surviving being, well, scrapped when ADVENT 2.0 came online and have personal trust issues after that.

The Templars are likely arrogant supremist assholes who think they're better than anyone else because of psychics, not to mention hate the aliens because why not.

And all three see the the XCOM boys roll up and level a city block or two of ADVENT and go "Yanno what, we're not at all upset about this development."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

A wromhole opened up and dropped the Protoss off into Xcom's world. The Zerg got dumped into Gollop's new game.

Just gonna throw this out there. We already got Raynor, Tychus, Nova, and several others here. Why not add some Protoss? Hell, grab that second one and give the Reapers the Zeratul voicepack and give the Templar Artanis' voice.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Fun things in long war: a rendezvous mission in a region that's loaded with rebels and has 4 rebel mecs. Those 2 pods of scrubs were not prepared for all those guns.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Cythereal posted:

These details were really funny given that Julian Gollop's own game in the works, Phoenix Point, also has three competing factions you can make contact with who all have different views and goals on how to deal with the aliens, including a humanity-gently caress-yeah faction and an "integrate alien powers with humanity" one. The release date is late 2018 and I can't help but think that in spite of its grittier aesthetics PP is just going to be a shadow of the new XCOM stuff in spite of the series' creator being the lead designer of the former.

It reminds me a bit of when they let Sid Meier be the lead for a project and we got Starships. Still I hope Gollop can do something good to cap his career on a satisfying note.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think you're all overlooking something big here:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > XCOM 2: I just saw Luigi take half-cover

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm less interested in PP after watching Beaglerush play the demo. It seems to be more in the style of Xcom:EU rather than UFO Defense. I really wanted to see how Gollop would bring his rookie meatgrinder game into the modern age, but instead he seems to be going Jake's route of having smaller squads of actually significant soldiers.

I mean I'm not gonna complain about another good Xcom:EU style game but I was interested in seeing a really different take on the original.

Nordick posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > XCOM 2: I just saw Luigi take half-cover

The funny thing is this can apply to Xcom 2 with the power of mods.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
PP has locational damage which is sweet and also seems to be doing some stuff with classes/combat mechanics that is good looking as well. The new expansion is going to be absolutely sick nasty, by the way.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alchenar posted:

New thread title XCOM 2: EXPANSION DOORN NOW

Alternatively XCOM 2: STOP WHINING ANDRE

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

VolticSurge posted:

Alternatively XCOM 2: STOP WHINING ANDRE

Put down the stick and step away from the horse carcass

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Personally I vote for the "FIRE EMBLEM NOW" someone else suggested.

Yanno, I'm surprised we haven't heard a single peep from Junpei. Dude was the most adorably/annoying overhyped kid for 2, I'm surprised he's not here drooling about dudes who can summon HALO power swords to gut Sectoids.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alkydere posted:

Personally I vote for the "FIRE EMBLEM NOW" someone else suggested.

Yanno, I'm surprised we haven't heard a single peep from Junpei. Dude was the most adorably/annoying overhyped kid for 2, I'm surprised he's not here drooling about dudes who can summon HALO power swords to gut Sectoids.

He's over in Mega64's inevitably cancelled Breath of the Wild LP thread.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM"- Skyranger pilot during evac

Uh well I don't know about that daddy-

*leaves cover*
*is shot by a sectopod*

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Shen I'm declaring Martian Law!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm less interested in PP after watching Beaglerush play the demo. It seems to be more in the style of Xcom:EU rather than UFO Defense. I really wanted to see how Gollop would bring his rookie meatgrinder game into the modern age, but instead he seems to be going Jake's route of having smaller squads of actually significant soldiers.

I mean I'm not gonna complain about another good Xcom:EU style game but I was interested in seeing a really different take on the original.

Rookie meatgrinders where absolutely an emergent gameplay aspect of the originals, it seemed much more implied that you should care about your squad of supermen. I played TFTD as a teenager, developed my own preconceptions, and so the internet meme of sending rookies to their deaths galls me. It's still a fab game, and I like TFTD, XCOM1, and XCOM2 all for different reasons. I'd never touch long war tho holy poo poo it's like the worst of all worlds =[

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The focus of this expansion really does seem to be on making you care about your troopers more and giving them more character - the bond system, the training center, the fatigue, the quirks and personality traits, the covert ops, everything seems to lead into that.

Which I'm fine with. People may joke about the rookie meatgrinder in the old games, but who makes those jokes who doesn't also fondly recall their heroes who pulled amazing feats or clinched a narrow victory or pulled of something that really shouldn't have worked?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom being a rookie meat grinder is an internet meme but it is reflective of how those old games were designed. Losing soldiers in UFO defense was pretty much expected. Losing a soldier every mission was no big deal. That would never fly in a modern Xcom. I very much prefer the modern approach as its fun to care about your soldiers and it makes losing them more painful, but I was curious to see if Gollop was gonna aim for a more expandable soldier system.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cythereal posted:

Which I'm fine with. People may joke about the rookie meatgrinder in the old games, but who makes those jokes who doesn't also fondly recall their heroes who pulled amazing feats or clinched a narrow victory or pulled of something that really shouldn't have worked?
I fondly remember this one guy I had in OG X-COM, he had poo poo for most stats but really good strength, stamina and throwing accuracy, so while other troopers got guns to shoot he just had an inventory full of grenades and high explosives he would huck around. It was pretty great.

My point is yeah, the expendable rookie meatgrinder is funny and all, but all the wonderful bastard individuals that emerge from it are an even more important aspect.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The focus of this expansion really does seem to be on making you care about your troopers more and giving them more character - the bond system, the training center, the fatigue, the quirks and personality traits, the covert ops, everything seems to lead into that.

I mean the best character I ever had in OG XCOM survived a failed terror mission by pure dumb luck and rode back to base unconscious while the rest of the platoon was liquefied from a blaster bomb that flew up the ramp inside the skyranger. He eventually became a god tier psi soldier who a mind controlled ethereals and flayed aliens minds apart. I like to think the traumatic brain injury and horror of being trapped for 12hours with the slurry that used to be friends caused him to just hulk the gently caress out

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Was it mentioned how the new expansion (hella excited for it) will interact with others? Not exactly looking forward to a mission that has alien rulers + chosen + lost + advent/aliens.

Also is at an expansion with continuation of the events after the end of xcom2 or is it a newgame+ option? I am assuming the latter, because that's how it has been so far.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty sure most of the aliens are gonna be loyal to the Ethereals forever. They didn't have to dominate them with psionics during EU.
I'm pretty sure they did? I was definitely under the impression all the aliens in EU were under the thrall of the Ethereals, even then.

Serephina posted:

Rookie meatgrinders where absolutely an emergent gameplay aspect of the originals, it seemed much more implied that you should care about your squad of supermen. I played TFTD as a teenager, developed my own preconceptions, and so the internet meme of sending rookies to their deaths galls me. It's still a fab game, and I like TFTD, XCOM1, and XCOM2 all for different reasons. I'd never touch long war tho holy poo poo it's like the worst of all worlds =[
Wasn't that also due to how promotions work? If you just kept the same squad of 10 or so alive you'd never get higher ranked soldiers? My memory is fuzzy but I seem to remember there had to be a number of new recruits for promotions to happen, because I did savescum the original around the time that TFTD came out, and I remember getting almost no promotions despite my squad getting flawless missions one after another.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey buds. Here's the list of mods I run, put in a Collection for your pleasure. They all work pretty well together. Tended toward adding content in lieu of changing the old (though I did beef up Rangers and make Scientists a little more useful). New classes, more options, idle suppression, evac all, Spark Pugilists, and Random Appearance all make an appearance. Suggestions appreciated. :shobon: Everything will run, I'm 90% sure.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947092538

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Captain Gordon posted:

Was it mentioned how the new expansion (hella excited for it) will interact with others? Not exactly looking forward to a mission that has alien rulers + chosen + lost + advent/aliens.

Also is at an expansion with continuation of the events after the end of xcom2 or is it a newgame+ option? I am assuming the latter, because that's how it has been so far.

The Chosen and Rulers are mutually exclusive, one won't appear if the other is in the mission.

Also how Rulers are activated will be changed up: now what happens is that the rulers will be noted to be guarding certain Avatar Project facilities: attack one of those and you'll activate them. (I presume this means that the Alien Rulers story mission will act as the Viper King's if activated.)

By contrast, the Chosen will always appear in the story missions: the ADVENT Black Site, the Psi Gate, and the Forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vib Rib posted:

Wasn't that also due to how promotions work? If you just kept the same squad of 10 or so alive you'd never get higher ranked soldiers?

You could keep the same squad for actual missions but there had to be X more soldiers at XCOM for people to advance beyond Y rank.