Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Harminoff posted:

How about this season of Fargo having nothing to do with Fargo so far?

How about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

vermin posted:

What do you think Vargus's purging and picking his teeth bloody mean about his character? Does it tie into him being the wolf from Peter and the Wolf and Yuri's animal masks?

He made comments about that guy's wife being fat implying she was a slut earlier, but the bulimia shows he also has a problem with impulses. He's also humiliated and nearly killed Sy using food. Is this a theme or am I staring at tea leaves here?

Also I love Hotline Miami so it doesn't bother me at all and makes me like Fargo even more.

He's the embodiment of capitalism. He succumbs to his desires with wreck-less abandon despite the long term damage to his internal structure. He's found shortcuts to get what he desires and minimize the short term effects while the long term are eating away at his insides.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

What do you think Vargus's purging and picking his teeth bloody mean about his character? Does it tie into him being the wolf from Peter and the Wolf and Yuri's animal masks?

He made comments about that guy's wife being fat implying she was a slut earlier, but the bulimia shows he also has a problem with impulses. He's also humiliated and nearly killed Sy using food. Is this a theme or am I staring at tea leaves here?

Also I love Hotline Miami so it doesn't bother me at all and makes me like Fargo even more.

It's a symptom of bulimia, it wrecks your teeth, bulemics vomit up a lot of stomach acid .

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just caught episode 9, I think it'll be my favorite episode of the season unless the finale really gets wild. It had that nice combo of wild fargo stuff with the hunters showing up and shooting the wolf head plus Nikki messing with Emmitt, the WTF Fargo stuff with an outright agent of god stepping in at the bowling alley, and the super violent fargo stuff with the fight at the tree stump. Plus I didn't see the end coming at all so that was super cool.

vermin posted:

Stussy: I've been a victim in all this
Burgle: If you hadn't turned yourself in, they'd probably kill ya. I wonder how Far they'd Go.

:tviv:

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 11, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's interesting how Fargo itself (in North Dakota, not Minnesota) is almost always tangential to the plots of the movie and the previous seasons.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Are we to assume Burgles cop friend's questioning of the lady in the restaurant didn't result in anything?
Or did I miss something this week.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Are we to assume Burgles cop friend's questioning of the lady in the restaurant didn't result in anything?
Or did I miss something this week.

Winnie's questioning of the Widow Goldfarb wasn't mentioned.

I doubt much came out of it. Emmit was acting strange, but not insanely so. Plus the Widow Goldfarb wanted to make a deal with Emmit.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Winnie's questioning of the Widow Goldfarb wasn't mentioned.

I doubt much came out of it. Emmit was acting strange, but not insanely so. Plus the Widow Goldfarb wanted to make a deal with Emmit.

All she had to ask is how long Emmit was there. Unless it was Vargas filling her in on the phone she would have known nothing of Rays death.

As far as the last ep, the welding up a ramp to flip the bus furthers my opinion that Vargas and his goons omnipotence is comically overdone. The whole timing alone was ridiculous prior to showing actual construction of a ramp. Made it all even more ludicrous.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 11, 2017

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

did you complain about malvo disappearing from the basement in season one too

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Malvo gets a pass because he was just so drat cool.

Disappears from basement - check

Learns dentistry and gets engaged all to perform a hit - check

Singlehandedly kills entire crime syndicate - check

3 guys weld some metal together as part of a predetermined backup plan - what, what?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

romanowski posted:

did you complain about malvo disappearing from the basement in season one too

No, because this is the first season I've watched.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Fog Tripper posted:

No, because this is the first season I've watched.

I actually like this season, but yeah: go back and watch the other two. I think season one is still my favorite, but there's plenty to love about all of them.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I felt season 1 was more balanced, the start and end were both quite strong. S2 was a lot more heavily balanced towards the ending, it wasn't until around episode 6 that I felt any kind of real momentum. S3 is not as heavily end-based as s2, but I feel it still took longer to really get going than s1.

All three are great though. Season 1 being more of an adaptation I think is actually the weakest, with season 2 and 3 I feel like they have been more focused and quality overall, despite being more heavily weighed to the second half of the season. Though that might just be because I didn't have another work (like the movie) to contrast with them like I did with Season 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 1 is the Fargo of Fargo
Season 2 is the Man Who Wasn't There of Fargo
Season 3 is the A Serious Man of Fargo

It makes sense to me!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Anxiously anticipating the No Country of Fargo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Season 4's going to be the The Ladykillers of Fargo

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I kind of think that 3 seasons of Fargo TV series is all we are getting, but I'd want to be surprised (or has is been renewed for a 4th already? )

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Looking forward to Raising Fargo.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

vermin posted:

Ray Wise makes a great president
Ray Wise makes a great devil
Ray Wise makes a great insane father
Ray Wise makes a great vengeful rabbi from beyond the grave

I love Ray Wise, and I love Fargo

He is also really good at hugs and knows all about them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80yjtJFf-v0

here is more of Ray Wise on hugs if that piqued your interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6UzC-dw04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zQviu9N6Hc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

I kind of think that 3 seasons of Fargo TV series is all we are getting, but I'd want to be surprised (or has is been renewed for a 4th already? )

The latest I had heard was that the show hadn't been renewed for a fourth season, and Hawley had no idea/plans for a fourth season as of yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe Joel and Ethan could do season 4 :aaa:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

precision posted:

Since this would mean both more Fargo, and a Noah Hawley who is fully committed to the next season of Legion, I'm all for it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
From what I could pull up, Fargo is the 5th most popular FX original and has about 20% more viewers than The Americans, which was renewed. Since the actors change every season it's probably cheaper to produce than most shows going into a 4th season.

But Noah Hawley said over the weekend this might be the last Fargo season.

Best case scenario I think we'll be looking at 2019 before we see anymore Fargo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd rather have no Fargo at all than a Fargo with less of Hawley's involvement. Other than the latest episode this season's just been okay, and I don't know that I'd keep tuning in for a Fargo that Noah Hawley was barely involved with.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Since this would mean both more Fargo, and a Noah Hawley who is fully committed to the next season of Legion, I'm all for it.

The Coen's have a show coming out next year. "The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs". Should fill the gap if this show, indeed, doesn't return.

Unfortunately, even if Fargo does end, Hawley's still going to be working on two different shows. He's adapting Cat's Cradle for F/X on top of continuing work on Legion.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

TraderStav posted:

He's the embodiment of capitalism. He succumbs to his desires with wreck-less abandon despite the long term damage to his internal structure. He's found shortcuts to get what he desires and minimize the short term effects while the long term are eating away at his insides.

Thanks, that makes a whole lot more sense than what was going through my head

Nick Rivers posted:

He is also really good at hugs and knows all about them

I feel connected to Ray Wise now more than ever

vermin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 12, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always heard that Ray Wise is an incredibly nice guy to work with (have also heard that about Kyle McLachlan)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Just watched the most recent episode and it was truly great. That little kitten named Ray :3:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

YESSSSS Nikki and Mr Wrench

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo

The back end of this season seems to transform, and it is doing very good

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wait, hang on, I may take that back

who the gently caress is this

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That's not the same Asian dude!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

did we just have a moment of unreliable narration? or did we get a actor swap like at the end of s2 with hanzee. Was it hanzee lol?

e: OH WAIT I GET IT

EARLY RELEASE EMMIT

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
aww, that hug

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
dat preview tho.

Emmit almost making GBS threads his pants: You work for Varga?

Either it's Chief Moe or more likely the Widow Goldfarb, or maybe it's somebody from the past two seasons. I'd like to see an older Mike Milligan as some assassin called in as a last resort ala the Undertaker he managed to finish off.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and I'm so glad it's almost over

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nikki Swango is a loving badass :swoon:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I loved the slowed down Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench theme, I hope that teamup remains a thing past the season.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Loved that line at the end about how good is the problem because if there wasn't any then who would care. I'll admit the first two seasons are stronger but this one is pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nikki Swango is a loving badass :swoon:

Not really sure how she knows to do the things that she does though.

• Locked thread