Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

terebikun posted:

I wonder if dumb Midwestern house rules are why I didn't really like playing Euchre as taught to me by my Midwestern girlfriend. Actually, has anyone played the game Grit? I played a bunch of it while traveling years ago, all you need is a normal deck of cards, most of which you don't use. I remember liking it a lot, even if it's a little annoying to set up.

Also I played Cthulhu Wars for the first time, and liked it a lot. I think it might be a good game you guys.

Yeah, probably. Call no house rules except "screw the dealer" (dealer must call trump if no one else does) and you've got a decent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, probably. Call no house rules except "screw the dealer" (dealer must call trump if no one else does) and you've got a decent game.

This is how I've always played. We'd play during our lunch hour when I worked at a Cummins facility. One guy told us he used a variant where you can call "low is high" so if you're stuck with a bad hand of low mixed suits, you make that call and 9/10 of any suit are trump.

My foreman said, "Sounds like a game for little bitches."

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Gloomhaven First Scenario report: We had a lot of fun, and it's a wonderful combat system!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Skypie posted:

My foreman said, "Sounds like a game for little bitches."

Euchre is a pretty dumbed-down (or, if you like it, distilled) trick-taking game to begin with.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

OgreNoah posted:

Gloomhaven First Scenario report: We had a lot of fun, and it's a wonderful combat system!

This is why I so annoyed when SU&SD said the main attraction is the content. Nonono, maybe that's why you pick up the box but the reason why it is a great game is the combat system

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

homullus posted:

Euchre is a pretty dumbed-down (or, if you like it, distilled) trick-taking game to begin with.

It trades bids for called suit. I like called suits. It's still a half game due to half deck.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

So Rahdo has a playthrough of Magic Maze, the new real-time cooperative game. More importantly, I think this is the first video to show Rahdo's mythical wife.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

homullus posted:

I like Euchre and yeah basically this. No reason to add house rules to make it even easier

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

golden bubble posted:

So Rahdo has a playthrough of Magic Maze, the new real-time cooperative game. More importantly, I think this is the first video to show Rahdo's mythical wife.

She was in the Galaxy Trucker video I think.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
She's been in several but it's a lot funnier to imagine that she's a phantom so I do that anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
She's got a top 10 list of her own somewhere too.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is why I so annoyed when SU&SD said the main attraction is the content. Nonono, maybe that's why you pick up the box but the reason why it is a great game is the combat system

I mean, I love SUSD and find them super-entertaining, but... recognition of awesome mechanics isn't their strong suit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Nonono, maybe that's why you pick up the box

I pick up the box as a feat of strongman strength.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm having a good time with Soviet Dawn. Made it to a "marginal defeat" (21 cards left) my first play so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a winning strategy, though consistently winning might be tricky.

Compared to Israeli Independence this game has more dynamic stuff happening -- fronts will activate and deactivate during the game, and can even be removed sometimes. And some of the events have complex effects that could have been printed on the card, but instead you have to look up the effects in the rules. There's also the 0-10 political track, where getting to 10 wins you the game. I made it to 8, so at least I was doing well internally when Kolchak marched into Moscow. :(

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 15, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

terebikun posted:

I wonder if dumb Midwestern house rules are why I didn't really like playing Euchre as taught to me by my Midwestern girlfriend. Actually, has anyone played the game Grit? I played a bunch of it while traveling years ago, all you need is a normal deck of cards, most of which you don't use. I remember liking it a lot, even if it's a little annoying to set up.

Also I played Cthulhu Wars for the first time, and liked it a lot. I think it might be a good game you guys.

My Onslaught Two arrives today, giving me everything except the alternate 6-8 player maps. I should do a photo of everything, just to make people either explode with jealousy, say "WTF???", or both.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Araki posted:

She was in the Galaxy Trucker video I think.

She's in basically every video about real-time games, for practical reasons.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I mean, I love SUSD and find them super-entertaining, but... recognition of awesome mechanics isn't their strong suit.

Agree, they overvalue games as an exerience generator or "games that tell a story" over solid, interesting mechanics, even worse is when they fall for the "it's fun to have some beers and play it with friends"-fallacy (aka the Munchkin-fallacy) when it comes to games like Cosmic Encounter.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

My Onslaught Two arrives today, giving me everything except the alternate 6-8 player maps. I should do a photo of everything, just to make people either explode with jealousy, say "WTF???", or both.

I love Cthulu Wars if only because it's a game that wouldn't exist without Kickstarter - no publisher would have done a $200 MSRP boardgame. On the flipside, I really wish they'd make a cheaper, smaller version - I'd like to have it but the buy-in and storage footprint make me gag every time I think about picking it up.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

Mine arrived this morning. Won't be able to get it home til Monday, but I'm looking forward to cracking it open :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

I love Cthulu Wars if only because it's a game that wouldn't exist without Kickstarter - no publisher would have done a $200 MSRP boardgame. On the flipside, I really wish they'd make a cheaper, smaller version - I'd like to have it but the buy-in and storage footprint make me gag every time I think about picking it up.

Ridiculous overproduction is the whole point of Cthulhu Wars. There's enough info out there to make a PnP copy with standees if you want, I guess.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

Ridiculous overproduction is the whole point of Cthulhu Wars. There's enough info out there to make a PnP copy with standees if you want, I guess.

I admit to having being tempted at times to make a cut down 'travel Cthulhu Wars' set using 10mm figures and a shrunk down map, maybe magnetized power and doom tracks etc. It's a bit of a pain to get it to the club to play on a regular basis otherwise.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

So you're saying it's not a good game, the overproduction is the only good thing?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really want to give Cthulhu Wars a try. :(

Jedit, weren't you going to a PbP at one point?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Codenames Duet is being released at GenCon which I'm guessing means it will be sold out in 10 minutes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rad Valtar posted:

Codenames Duet is being released at GenCon which I'm guessing means it will be sold out in 10 minutes.
Well, some people haven't tried it and there might be a 'eeeh, if I already have two codenames, why do I need a third?' so maybe it will take half an hour instead. But really, those people are idiots: you might as well throw the other two codenames in the fire after you get duet (make sure you keep the extra words/pictures though!)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I really want to give Cthulhu Wars a try. :(

Jedit, weren't you going to a PbP at one point?

I was, yes. I think I still have the assets they use on BGG, if not I'll ask for them. They may already have the Tcho-Tchos, the PBF games there were used as external playtesting.

And no, the overproduction isn't the sole substance of Cthulhu Wars. There's a game behind it, and a very good one. But it was meant to be Sandy Petersen's last hurrah, a collector's item and the centrepiece of the tentacle fan's gaming collection. He doesn't want to reduce that to "just a game".

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

Not if they handle it like last year where they have their own room and utilize a pre-order system to guarantee they bring enough.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Not if they handle it like last year where they have their own room and utilize a pre-order system to guarantee they bring enough.

Yeah the preorder system for last year was wonderful!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Wooooo a friend got me a copy of Lisboa from Origins!!! Can't wait, hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lorini posted:

Wooooo a friend got me a copy of Lisboa from Origins!!! Can't wait, hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

How did you get yours so early when I don't expect to see anything until August :(

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

FulsomFrank posted:

How did you get yours so early when I don't expect to see anything until August :(

They delayed the order fulfillment but still brought a limited supply to origins.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Papes posted:

They delayed the order fulfillment but still brought a limited supply to origins.

Yup! A friend got me a copy. It's probably going to end up costing north of $150 after all is said and done, but I'm looking forward to it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just got Carcassone today and while I'm excited to play it I'm missing the Abbot pieces. Looking over the rules I'm not sure they're something I would use anyway, but it's still so disappointing to get a board game with missing components. :smith:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Given their experiences with Scythe and KD:M, it's not too hard to see how they'd look at Gloomhaven and think "it's another kickstarter that people backed because "loads of stuff" that probably isn't really that mechanically strong. I won't lie, I picked it up without being aware of the rules because I saw a picture of how many sealed character boxes there are and thought "I must have it".

It just happens that in this case they're horribly wrong and Gloomhaven absolutely dumpsters everything else in the genre mechanically, and has an absurdly large amount of content that's pretty uniformly fantastic.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Well, some people haven't tried it and there might be a 'eeeh, if I already have two codenames, why do I need a third?' so maybe it will take half an hour instead. But really, those people are idiots: you might as well throw the other two codenames in the fire after you get duet (make sure you keep the extra words/pictures though!)

Why do I need a second copy of codenames? Tell me why it's better

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Quoting myself

Tekopo posted:

K11, Artipia Games for Kitchen Rush (iirc, check the UKGE exhibitor listing).

I mean, yeah, I had Codenames Words and Codenames Pictures in my bag and I didn't really see a need to get another Codenames, but honestly, I think Duet is the best Codenames and has the best mechanisms of the series in my opinion.

So, more words about Codenames: Duet: there's a level of meta-play that is readily apparent from the very first turn. The way that assassins are mixed up is really interesting and since there are a total of 5 of them the game gets intense very fast and provides a more meaningful puzzle. The game provides everything that you would want to experience in Codenames in a single game: you take on both roles simultaneously and your choices and decisions are shaped by how you and the your fellow player gives clues and interact with each other. It's just a much more fulfilling package when all players are on equal footing. The game is also not strictly speaking a 2P game only as well (we played with 4, 2 players on each side).

As well as the above, the game has a way to ramp up the difficulty in an interesting way. If you want, you can play a game as a campaign, which is based on a map: you start in Prague, which is the easiest difficulty. Once you beat Prague, there are several different cities you go to. After going from city to city, you eventually end up on a specific branch and you have to beat all of the cities on that branch in order to beat the campaign. Difficulty is handled this way: each city has a rating of x=y(Prague, the one we played, is 9=9). x is the number of turns you have to find all 15 agents. y is the number of bystanders you have. So in Prague you get 9 of each, but I saw some cities with like 10=2. What happens if you have less bystanders than turns? If you use up more bystanders that you have, you lose an extra turn for each extra bystander you need. So, for example, in a 10=2 city, you have already mis-guessed 2 bystanders and you have 8 turns left, if you then select another bystander, you end up with 6 turns left instead of 7.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

Is this second codenames the adult one? I heard Vlaada didn't work on that one at all and it was trash. Is this third one by Vlaada?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chill la Chill posted:

Is this second codenames the adult one? I heard Vlaada didn't work on that one at all and it was trash. Is this third one by Vlaada?

The second is Codenames: Pictures.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Chill la Chill posted:

He means original and Pictures, both by Vlaada. Duet is also by Vlaada.

(There's also an upcoming Marvel Comics Codenames is not by Vlaada, and which will probably be garbage. But I can't begrudge CGE their right to print money.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gutter Owl posted:

He means original and Pictures, both by Vlaada. Duet is also by Vlaada.

(There's also an upcoming Marvel Comics Codenames is not by Vlaada, and which will probably be garbage. But I can't begrudge CGE their right to print money.)

Playing Marvel Comics Codenames as a guy who's read 3 comic books in his life and only has exposure to the characters through film sounds like a nightmare scenario playing with someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of characters and storylines.
Gun to my head I probably couldn't name you more than 10 or 15 Marvel characters.

Codenames Pictures I find is not nearly as fun with grown-ups, but is a better experience if you're with drunk adults or with younger kids (or both at the same time)