Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i saw a tv in the store that said "720p" but they had made a mistake and it was actually a 1366x768 panel!!! i got 48 extra pixels for free!!! loving idiots, made out like a god drat bandit. more pixels for me, to put VLCs toolbar in, when i watch my 10-bit fansubs of Spirited Awayy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spirited away is a legit good movie (though with common ghibli problem of not really having the story do much other than deus ex machina out of everything at the end), just go with naruto fansubs to round out the post

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
how much color bits should i have in my computer when i watch Rashomon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pagancow posted:

if by "support" you mean colors come out of your monitor that you dont care about, then yes.

cool then its worthwhile to use

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Share Bear posted:

i have tried to disable this on my tv but there is no setting for it that i can find, i am not a video pro though

update: i found the setting, the TV's defaults were wrong, it was labelled "just scan"

ive had this tv for about a decade

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
spirited away is extremely good and i'm not ashamed to admit it made me cry

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

RISCy Business posted:

spirited away is extremely good and i'm not ashamed to admit it made me cry

callin in some anime bans

no mercy

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Share Bear posted:

callin in some anime bans

no mercy

i will die on this hill

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

RISCy Business posted:

i will die on this hill

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Instant Grat posted:

how much color bits should i have in my computer when i watch Rashomon

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

that's not what I heard.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Share Bear posted:

update: i found the setting, the TV's defaults were wrong, it was labelled "just scan"

ive had this tv for about a decade

grats on fixing ur tv experience

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Linguica posted:

that's not what I heard.

12 bits RGB is high end dolby vision

PQ gamma curve was designed for 12 bits being enough for large UHD-1 displays.

No real 16-bit cameras exist

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
8 bits was good enuf for me then and its good enuf for me now

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

pagancow posted:

12 bits RGB is high end dolby vision

PQ gamma curve was designed for 12 bits being enough for large UHD-1 displays.

No real 16-bit cameras exist
WHOOSH

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

once upon a time I worked at a company that only bought super-nice eizo monitors because the boss's son went to a siggraph conference in the USA USA USA and it was the one name and business card he held onto after flying back, extremely drunk, to bulgaria

rip

bulgaria is possibly one of the dumbest nations

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

cause he might end up like the guy up in the corner

lol that dude is rich from playing minecraft (like net worth over 200k pounds) and he owns many fidget spinners

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Bulgakov posted:

once upon a time I worked at a company that only bought super-nice eizo monitors because the boss's son went to a siggraph conference in the USA USA USA and it was the one name and business card he held onto after flying back, extremely drunk, to bulgaria

rip

bulgaria is possibly one of the dumbest nations

should have said fsi, might have believed you

http://www.shopfsi.com/AM250-p/AM250.htm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41284-h264-or-h265-what-is-your-plan-for-2017/

lots of lols in here

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I personally operate a rented dedicated server so storage is expensive/limited and the clients connecting to it don't always have the greatest bandwidth. I have just recently switched to h.256 for TV series and have noticed a fairly significant drop in storage usage (almost half the file size) with only a minor drop in picture quality.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I have been converting from 264 to 265, I have saved a lot of space, with proper setting of Handbrake, there shouldn't a noticeable diff between the original 264 to 265.

That would be an incredibly massive undertaking in some peoples cases with huge collections such as myself. Taking the time to convert everything over with large libraries is far worse than just buying more storage

LOL IM A PIRATE WHO GOT A JOB

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

a minor drop in picture quality.

unacceptable

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I have yet to see an encoded h265 with the same quality of the h264 even at crf16.With my 55' TV at 2mt distance i can see lots and lots of differences especially in low lights scenes

someone buy this one an account

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

my collections are growing fast as demand grows due to families request.
Also, I must say that I noticed a fast load time when I play x265 moves/Tv's on low power client system, may be it because the files are now smaller compared to original both on hardwired and wifi connections.

MY KIDS NEED THEIR PIRATED MEDIA FASTER IN OUR CONGESTED NETWORK!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

In the past I have been ripping most of my movies to 1080p x264 mkv's with a video bitrate of approximately 9000-10000kbps and a DTS or DTS-MA audio track with a bitrate of 1.5mbps. This was fine for myself as I had the internet connection to stream from my remote server at these bitrates and the hardware to direct play them. Fast forward to today, I now have a few family members connecting to my server, I am connecting a lot when I travel, and am generally finding more reasons to connect away from home. So I find that I am transcoding my movies more and more. To make matters worse my family members live outside of any city and have poor internet connections so they are limited to about 5mbps overall bandwidth. So I decided to start encoding movies using x265 as all the playback hardware supports it now including my android phone and tablet.

cyber pimp streaming his pr0n to his local minecraft group

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why dont they just reverse supersample into h 265

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

H.265 is not a codec with a wide spread future.

It has been rejected by the tech industry for good reasons (IP became toxic) and the Alliance for Open Media will be releasing their new AV1 codec in late 2017 or 2018. AV1 will replace H.264, H.265 and VP9 for all internet streaming media so there is going to be a ton of new hardware rolling out to support that.

H.265 will only be used in 4K Blu-ray, some TV services perhaps and personal video encoders, essentially it's going to be the DivX of out time which is ironic as it was some of the same companies that torpedoed MPEG4/DivX from becoming a standard internet media codec did the exact same thing to H.265.

GUYS HEVC WONT WIN, GOOGLE IS GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER OPEN SORES PROJECT YOU"LL SEE!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I plan to stay with h.264 for the immediate future. Trying to convert 3000+ movies and 800+ TV shows doesn't sound like fun.

economy must be good if pirates can even get enough employment to not transcode movies to another format

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pro click
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi1BefrfTos
GOODNAGHT!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pagancow posted:

so there is going to be a ton of new hardware rolling out to support that.

that's a thing which is definitely going to occur, yes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol look at AV1's wikipedia page:

Under patent rules adopted from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), technology contributors license their AV1-connected patents to anyone, anywhere, anytime based on reciprocity, i.e. as long as the user doesn't engage in patent litigation.[7] As a defensive condition, anyone engaging in patent litigation loses the right to the patents of all patent holders.[5]

cool so one company could hold the whole thing hostage if they own a patent? check

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pagancow posted:

Under patent rules adopted from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), technology contributors license their AV1-connected patents to anyone, anywhere, anytime based on reciprocity, i.e. as long as the user doesn't engage in patent litigation.[7] As a defensive condition, anyone engaging in patent litigation loses the right to the patents of all patent holders.[5]

cool so one company could hold the whole thing hostage if they own a patent? check

if they want to do the legal equivalent of detonating a suicide vest, sure

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow posted:

lmao this rules

the molotov–ribbentrop pact of codecs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pagancow posted:

you've got it backwards. if company A owns a patent, and then sues company B because company B is using AV1, company A then loses the right to use the pool of royalty-free patents defined in the agreement. this is similar to how free software licenses with patent clauses have worked for years and years

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

pagancow posted:

my 55' TV

holy shite

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
kinda looking at a UP2716D to replace my U2410

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hell yeah model names

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

the gray forum monitor thread informed me that dells don't implement display port correctly so if you turn them off they appear disconnected

whether that'll annoy you depends on how you use them I guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgakov posted:

hell yeah model names

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

the gray forum monitor thread informed me that dells don't implement display port correctly so if you turn them off they appear disconnected

whether that'll annoy you depends on how you use them I guess

if you use windows 10 it will immediately forget where your windows are placed and vomit them all over the screen when you next turn the monitor on. have fun!

• Locked thread