Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

DancingShade posted:

The Alienware meme is far older than the current promotion.

My first experience with it was during the Tera Online beta/launch when actual marketing shills were in chat during some promotion. People got pretty mad so basically pretending that you play on Alienware / that it's the best value / best computer ever / never drop frame rates / never disconnect / that Alienware boosts your DPS / that Alienware improves your RNG, etc etc quickly turned into a way to get a rise out of people who didn't know about the meme or realise you were actually trolling & not being serious. Some people get very angry about Alienware computers even existing so saying how wonderful they are is like tossing a lit match on fuel.

It's the less obvious version of starting a political discussion that's bound to spiral out of control.

So to summarize:

1) You definitely play on Alienware and by golly want to share that with everyone how great it is.
2) Trump/Hilary chat in any form
and
3) Guild Wars 2 is actually a pretty bad game that's dying, why do some holdouts still play it?

Bam, chat should start scrolling nicely.

Has the chat always been a cesspool or is that new to the Steam release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tyshalob posted:

Every mmo chat is a cesspool.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tyshalob posted:

Youd think that basement dwelling edge lords could hold a great debate on the issues

(it has always been bad in bdo, the only people who feel like chatting are the worst)

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

DancingShade posted:

Yeah pretty much, reminds me of Barrens Chat back when I used to play WoW, but kicked up a notch as troll culture has gone mainstream

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Tyshalob posted:

Goons are no different, go look at the start of the thread.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Most of the high volume bad chatting in BDO stems from the fact the game actively rewards idling.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

DancingShade posted:

This is the truth. There is zero reason to have any of the chat channels turned on. You will never miss them.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
What do I need to do get get invited to the Goon Guild (TM) ?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Have any decent Striker resources surfaced yet? I've mostly figured out that the Crimson Fang and Knee Hammer flow chains are good, but that's about it

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Scottishprog posted:

What do I need to do get get invited to the Goon Guild (TM) ?

Join the discord. Tell them to invite you.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Wilekat posted:

Have any decent Striker resources surfaced yet? I've mostly figured out that the Crimson Fang and Knee Hammer flow chains are good, but that's about it

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/1950/one-point-lessonrecommended-pre-awakening-skillsskill-build-for-strikers

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/1957/striker-pre-awakening-combo-guide-knowing-one-combo-should-be-enough

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DancingShade posted:

And now that this game is coming to XBone and XBoneX you can get the special hell that is XBox Live.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I wonder what version of the game will be on xbox - will it have awakenings? Or will it be only pre-mediah content like it was during the original PC release? I actually think this game would play pretty well on a controller. But I guess leaving the game on to afk fish would melt your xbox :haw:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

J posted:

I actually think this game would play pretty well on a controller. :

We have a guy in guild who plays a Berserker and now a Stryker with a controller with no issues so I don't think the controller will be a problem.

My concern would be that the game has absurd CPU consumption and even on a 1080 GTX is unable to maintain stable FPS in world boss fights and nodewars at high settings. So they'll certainly need some very serious engine work to make it playable.

Also I cannot imagine what they will do to make the UI console friendly as it's got a long way to go to be friendly at all.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Maybe they'll actually make some optimizations to the game so it runs reasonably and port it to the PC, and after that feed more potatoes to the servers

lol no they won't

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's going to be black desert offline

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Idiot Goons will still pre-order it for $100 to play three days early

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I have been on the fence about this game for some time cause of one thing.

Is the rootkit anti cheat as shady as many people say?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Stevefin posted:

If you've ever played a kmmo, it is probably run of the mill in that regard, which really doesn't say all that much.

The official response is here so take that with whatever amount of salt you'd like

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stevefin posted:

As shady as VAC or Warden or Punkbuster or blah blah blah

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Biggest difference is vac and warden aren't poo poo performance wise

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just based off the fact the dev team is openly transparent about it is a plus.

Lots of them run that poo poo without telling you its there unless you go hunt for hidden active processes.

Just play da game.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Stevefin posted:

It's not shady as such - but it's just poo poo. It's literally just a process scanner with a black list. A lovely blacklist at that that doesn't do anything useful - sure it'll catch you fire up cheat engine to dick around with some other game you're playing while BDO is AFK processing - but it won't catch the 6 different fishbots, ESP, or speed hack that's available for the game.

It doesn't really do anything but every now and then hog a bunch of CPU or crash your game due to a false positive.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I found out that you can't launch Minecraft or any java based game while Black Desert is running because xign immediately kills the process. Fun stuff.

It's not a rootkit though. But I'm sure there some hilarious 0 day waiting inside the program if anyone cared enough to go for it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

It's not shady as such - but it's just poo poo. It's literally just a process scanner with a black list. A lovely blacklist at that that doesn't do anything useful - sure it'll catch you fire up cheat engine to dick around with some other game you're playing while BDO is AFK processing - but it won't catch the 6 different fishbots, ESP, or speed hack that's available for the game.

It doesn't really do anything but every now and then hog a bunch of CPU or crash your game due to a false positive.

I put that poo poo at -95% cpu power with BES for this reason

http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's a nonissue unless you just need some nerdy poo poo to gripe about

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

25% cpu usage is not nerdy poo poo to gripe about????

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Drythe posted:

Maybe I've just got a beefy computer, but it says it's using 0.2% on mine.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Drythe posted:

Oh no, it most definitely is.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
God damnit I want the Striker awakening to release in NA so bad just DO IT

They're making me sad that I chose Striker as my first character with the amount of times I'll see things that are "exclusive" to every class but Striker.

:sigh:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Drythe posted:

I put that poo poo at -95% cpu power with BES for this reason

http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

Wait hold on how do I do this and is it safe?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

xigncode taking up 25% cpu is probably the worst thing to complain about this game performance wise. The disconnect gpu use and coherentui are far, far worse and consistently bad

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a good game to use chrome remote desktop from work for doing all the bullshit idle crap.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

This is a good game to use chrome remote desktop from work for doing all the bullshit idle crap.

For anything even remotely AFK related I run it in a VM with super low settings. That way I can do whatever I actually want on my PC. Also have Splashtop streamer on the VM so I can remote in from anywhere and switch rods or pt in fresh stuff for processing/cooking.

The game tries to detect if it's in a VM - but that just means you need to add this line to the VM config file:
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

tradjik
Mar 2, 2007

edit; nvm

tradjik fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 15, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Snatch Duster posted:

Definitely. I refill my workers with beer from my phone.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Definitely. I refill my workers with beer from my phone.

You can do pretty much every life skill AFK or by phone. Auto pathing is really robust and you can easily "play" this game at work by trading goods as well - it's horrific income but it's not a terrible way to level up trading without wasting much actual playtime.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Skipped a day in playing and now there's a 1.7 gb patch downloading. Did something new drop in?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Revolver Bunker posted:

Skipped a day in playing and now there's a 1.7 gb patch downloading. Did something new drop in?

I suspect it is kamasylvia content pre-loading but have nothing to base that on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
help ive fallen into this character creator and im not sure how to get out

Its dark in here and everything is anime. I'm getting hungry