Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Your first thought when it comes to right-wing american violence isn't Oklahoma City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

If he wasn't a Congressman, he'd be dealing with hospital bills and bankruptcy for the rest of his life.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

You'd think gun nuts would be cheering the guy who exercised the constitutional rights they claim to need guns for.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fulchrum posted:

Name one time Republicans weren't dehumanizing when talking about Democrats at any point after 2006. Hell, Eric Trump literally said last week "Democrats are not people".

I find it interesting that despite the rise of the Tea Party, a lot of Members of Congress are still across-the-aisle friends, even if bipartisan lawmaking is uncommon these days. Like one of Scalise's close friends is Cedric Richmond, a Democrat. The chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, even.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, this doesn't exactly sound like it originated with a credible source. Is anyone here familiar enough with port security to weigh in on whether this kind of response is normal even if the CG doesn't think the information is reliable? A 1NM safety zone sounds pretty extreme to me, but I know literally nothing about port operations so maybe this is just normal "better safe than sorry" procedure.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 15, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Buffer posted:

Your first thought when it comes to right-wing american violence isn't Oklahoma City?

No see that doesn't count because one individual crazy actor doesn't represent all of *shits self extraordinarily loudly*

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, they're crying cause a pro-gun whip got shot in the hip? Seriously? Not for the poo poo that they are doing or the scandals they are under, but they're falling to pieces cause someone on their team actually got attacked?

No, that was O'Reilly. "Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that."

Name one time Republicans weren't dehumanizing when talking about Democrats at any point after 2006. Hell, Eric Trump literally said last week "Democrats are not people".

So you've drilled down to him having a persecution complex. Have you actually asked him why he is in a constant state of paranoia and feels that he is the victim of everyone else?

I am not saying that the fire is not already burning, I am saying that pouring kerosene on the fire is going to noticeably change the character of the blaze that we have been experiencing thus far. What we have seen and experienced up to this point is going to seem as remarkably tame and restrained 3 months from now as the 2012 election season seemed tame and restrained compared to the 2016 one. I remember when people were calling me melodramatic for stating that 2016 was going to be a completely different beast from 2012. In much the same way I am stating now that what we will see from the right wing w/r/t the way they talk about/dehumanize the left over the next few months is going to make everything we have seen up to this point so far seem relatively tame and restrained.

Edit:

Petr posted:

He said that before the shooting.

My bad, I missed the date. I still stand by my statement that this event will mark a noticeable scene change in how the right speaks about and interacts with the left though.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 15, 2017

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

BrandorKP posted:

I'm hearing it's nothing. Details smell like they were made up by an idiot. Some reports are saying it was made up by a YouTube conspiracy theorist.
It's this group of idiots, somewhere in this video I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekr5cw2WAbU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

I find it interesting that despite the rise of the Tea Party, a lot of Members of Congress are still across-the-aisle friends, even if bipartisan lawmaking is uncommon these days. Like one of Scalise's close friends is Cedric Richmond, a Democrat. The chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, even.

We'rwe still talking about the guy who spoke to the loving Klan, right?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Looks like the "Trump is currently under investigation" story is taking off on MSM. I'm guessing mainly because now, if Trump would force a firing of Mueller, it'd be clear obstruction of justice.

I'm wondering if Mueller put Trump under investigation for obstruction of justice simply to bait Trump into firing him. Though, really, that'd be a gamble by him as much as anyone on how the public and the GOP would even react, at this point.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Buffer posted:

That was over 20 years ago so a reckon a good number of goons aren't old enough to really remember.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Buffer posted:

Or that guy who crashed a plane into the IRS in texas?

Or Gabby Giffords?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

A 1NM safety zone sounds pretty extreme to me, but I know literally nothing about port operations so maybe this is just normal "better safe than sorry" procedure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Jj7JYJiueTUzzvw

Everything you ever wanted to know about how far away from a hazardous materials incident you should get you can find in there by UN number of the haz. Most everything you could think of hazardous wise has set evacuation distances.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
My favorite political tweet of the day.
https://twitter.com/mileskahn/status/875180953479647233

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Beltway friendships are the weirdest thing.

Though I'm convinced the only reason people put up with Louie Gohmert is because supposedly he puts on some really good barbecues.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Beltway friendships are the weirdest thing.

Though I'm convinced the only reason people put up with Louie Gohmert is because supposedly he puts on some really good barbecues.

Is learning to grill a steak right really that hard that people need to go to loving Gohmert?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Is learning to grill a steak right really that hard that people need to go to loving Gohmert?

Lol bless your heart if you think steak is all barbecue is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol bless your heart if you think steak is all barbecue is.

I know its the hardest thing to do right in most barbecues - hot dogs are done uniform and hard to gently caress up unless you let them burn, and burgers, even ones you make yourself, are still easier to do than a steak done the right way.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
If you're cooking directly over a flame its not even BBQ.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

I know its the hardest thing to do right in most barbecues - hot dogs are done uniform and hard to gently caress up unless you let them burn, and burgers, even ones you make yourself, are still easier to do than a steak done the right way.

You're still missing brisket, ribs, bbq chicken, pork loin, etc.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Fulchrum posted:

Good job, bro, now we're gonna have a ten-page derail about loving brisket and dry rubs and cuts of meat and :suicide:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fulchrum posted:

well I can see you've covered all the BBQ food groups, so I guess you're good to go

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If he wasn't a Congressman, he'd be dealing with hospital bills and bankruptcy for the rest of his life.

This isn't to contradict this post but I've seen a lot of pelvis injuries and they are really bad, even when people are offered the best possible care. He's in for a very long recovery and it's very likely he's going to suffer from pretty horrific long term disability from this. The mechanism of injury is a nasty one...

It's also one of those injuries that, despite best medical management, might cause massive complications years or even decades down the line. It's not something I'd wish on anyone.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

well I can see you've covered all the BBQ food groups, so I guess you're good to go

I did say most barbecues, didn't I?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Prester Jane posted:

I am not saying that the fire is not already burning, I am saying that pouring kerosene on the fire is going to noticeably change the character of the blaze that we have been experiencing thus far. What we have seen and experienced up to this point is going to seem as remarkably tame and restrained 3 months from now as the 2012 seemed tame and restrained compared to the 2016 one. I remember when people were calling me melodramatic for stating that 2016 was going to be a completely different beast from 2012. In much the same way I am stating now that what we will see from the right wing w/r/t the way they talk about/dehumanize the left over the next few months is going to make everything we have seen up to this point so far seem relatively tame and restrained.

Edit:

My bad, I missed the date. I still stand by my statement that this event will mark a noticeable scene change in how the right speaks about and interacts with the left though.

I really hope you're wrong about all of this, but I fear you're not.

Also you're triggering the pedant in me like crazy. The term is "sea-change." I just recently found out it came from Shakespeare, where it was used literally to mean a change made by the sea, but context led the definition to be widened to any significant change through any cause. Your meaning is taken all the same, but ya know: :spergin:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fulchrum posted:

I did say most barbecues, didn't I?

that is a thing you said

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I appreciated this one.

Live and drink, friend!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ratoslov posted:

Good job, bro, now we're gonna have a ten-page derail about loving brisket and dry rubs and cuts of meat and :suicide:

The only brisket is jewish style brisket roast and other types are haram

also delicious

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

The only brisket is jewish style brisket roast and other types are haram

also delicious

Have you ever had any other brisket because while I'm a brisket enthusiast you're deeply wrong my friend. Also I couldn't read and thought you said all other BBQs lol

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 15, 2017

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Chilichimp posted:

I got into it with some rear end in a top hat today about left-wing violence. He's really got his finger on the pulse of rwm.

He told me all of the political violence in America is the fault of the left. After I explained to him that that is nonsense and bullshit, he told me all of the murders stacked up on "the left"

There's a guy blowing up a Facebook discusion group I'm in with links to random tweets by "prominent" voices on "the left" that he considers to be insufficiently navel gazing, or confirmatory of the "leftist fascism" drum he's been beating for months. I could drop a sick burn about all of the Republican leaders that have coyly broached "Second Amendment solutions" over the past eight years but what's the point? The backfire effect means that getting through to an entrenched partisan is nearly impossible if they can retreat back into their information bubble and get a hit of sweet, sweet self-affirmation.

If our political polarization descends into sectarian violence, it will most likely be Bizarro Northern Ireland where one side has all the guns and controls the government but swears up and down that the other guys started it because Julius Caesar and Kathy Griffin and Sweet Cakes :argh:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 15, 2017

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Serrath posted:

This isn't to contradict this post but I've seen a lot of pelvis injuries and they are really bad, even when people are offered the best possible care. He's in for a very long recovery and it's very likely he's going to suffer from pretty horrific long term disability from this. The mechanism of injury is a nasty one...

It's also one of those injuries that, despite best medical management, might cause massive complications years or even decades down the line. It's not something I'd wish on anyone.

That's not an understatement at all, though it depends on the severity of the injury and person. It strangely varies from full recovery to pure insanity. My grandmother (yes, somewhat old, but not a bullet injury) slipped out of normal sanity into full stage 5 alzheimer's the day she broke her hip. It won't happen to congress dude, but this is one of the worst injuries to survive.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Comments are on point and loving awesome.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

We'rwe still talking about the guy who spoke to the loving Klan, right?

Pretty much, yeah. Like Der Waffle Mous said, Beltway friendships are weird. What's also weird is that in 2014, Breitbart ran an article condemning Scalise's 2002 statement that he was "David Duke without the baggage" and painted him as a "Boehner ally". I'm gonna guess that the latter is more relevant for why they decided to publish that.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I know a guy like this. I've given up on engaging him directly. Right now he's blowing up our Facebook politics group with links to random tweets by "prominent" voices on "the left" that he considers to be insufficiently navel gazing or confirmatory of the "leftist fascism" drum he's been beating for months. I could drop a sick burn about all of the Republican leaders that have coyly broached "Second Amendment solutions" over the past eight years but what's the point? The backfire effect means that getting through to an entrenched partisan is nearly impossible if they can retreat back into their information bubble and get a hit of sweet, sweet self-affirmation.

If our political polarization descends into sectarian violence, it will most likely be Bizarro Northern Ireland where one side has all the guns and controls the government but swears up and down that the other guys started it because Julius Caesar and Kathy Griffin and Sweet Cakes :argh:

The human capacity for double standards never ceases to amaze. The right wing has regularly generated a barrage of incendiary violent rhetoric for years, and always play dumb when some asshat shoots up a bunch of people.

The left wing basically never calls for violence, and only d-listers and crazies are the ones that ever do. Meanwhile prominent Republican leaders call for "second amendment solutions" and put literal targets over Democratic politicians but somehow "the left" is the side driving the violence and dividing the country.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BBQ: low and slow over indirect heat/smoke.

Grillin': fast and hot over direct flame.

Easy concept to understand.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Ratoslov posted:

Republicans are so fuckin dumb, I bet they don't put beans in their chili.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

pepito sanchez posted:

It won't happen to congress dude, but this is one of the worst injuries to survive.

I don't want to oversell this point but being in congress is protective but won't completely insulate him from this. 5 year median survival of a hip fracture is generally seen as 50% regardless of pre morbid functioning and SES and neuro-psychiatric complaints are common across all people with this sort of injury. This just isn't one of those things that the best care can help you completely escape from.

I'm sorry about your grandmother, that is never an easy thing to witness or help someone through.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

BBQ: low and slow over indirect heat/smoke.

Yeah, but vinegar or mustard based sauce?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Discussion Quorum posted:

The situation is really weird.

This political cold war the country has apparently decided to have -- and that gets occasionally bloody -- doesn't seem to be arrayed along ethnic lines, and while minorities can be a target, I'm sorta reminded of Chappelle's SNL bit after the election about sitting back and letting the whites fight it out.

The most visible clashes have been between these costumed right-wingers and Antifa, mostly white and most intensely on the West Coast and Pacific Northwest, which you'd have to really go out of your way to participate in. Unlike a sectarian conflict there are no real identifiable markers to single somebody out as "liberal" or "conservative." If you asked someone on the street you'd get a shrug.

Which is probably why if I was a politician, I'd be freaking out right now, because you have a big R or D next to your name that paints a target on your back for all the pent-up rage and disgust about politics and politicians combined with limited ways to direct it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Serrath posted:

I don't want to oversell this point but being in congress is protective but won't completely insulate him from this. 5 year median survival of a hip fracture is generally seen as 50% regardless of pre morbid functioning and SES and neuro-psychiatric complaints are common across all people with this sort of injury. This just isn't one of those things that the best care can help you completely escape from.

5 year median survival for hip fractures? I'm guessing this has something to do with the age of people fracturing hips and not something specific to hips as opposed to a broken toe or arm or whatever?

• Locked thread