Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm sorry but if there's going to be a horror game featuring over-the-top high school/college archetypes it needs to be a Maniac Mansion remake that's as unironically cheesy as the original. That said, I kind of don't want it remade because nothing will top the original.
Then maybe you'd be interested in Thimblewood Park: http://store.steampowered.com/app/569860/Thimbleweed_Park/

Nckdictator posted:

'Eh, I mean it's been getting updates since 2014, the latest appears to be from late last year. their Reddit seems fairly active. That long development time just seems a little iffy to me, but if it's a small team then that would make sense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LastYear/
Aye, that's kinda the same feeling I have for 'Routine' at this point. It's mostly just been quiet and delayed for so long that it makes me assume that it's either vaporware or going to be lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What if instead someone made a video game version of The Faculty

Though I guess ObsCure gets kinda close to that but its sequel is so bad it's not worth even thinking about where that series could go now unless they rebooted it

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FirstAidKite posted:

Though I guess ObsCure gets kinda close to that but its sequel is so bad it's not worth even thinking about where that series could go now unless they rebooted it

If they get the same composer I'm totally down for more ObsCure games, I don't give a gently caress how terrible.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Conarium came out. Any takers?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I'm in, I'll give a trip report.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A whole complex made of cones? The angles, the eldritch and ligand angles!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ZearothK posted:

So the game doesn't even work for me right now, I posted on the Steam discussions to hopefully get an answer from the devs or someone else to get it working but when the game starts up it's just a black screen. Hopefully someone answers soon or I'll just refund it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

s.i.r.e. posted:

So the game doesn't even work for me right now, I posted on the Steam discussions to hopefully get an answer from the devs or someone else to get it working but when the game starts up it's just a black screen. Hopefully someone answers soon or I'll just refund it.

Updated all your drivers?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm running into another bug in Conarium where I'm locked in a room and the thing that's supposed to let me progress just isn't working.

It's getting me really salty because it's the third horror game in two weeks that have stopped me from continuing due to bugs. I picked up Perception, bug. I picked up The Last Door to tide me over until they fixed the Perception bug, that bugged too. Now Conarium. I've had a few "indie" games that played smoothly, but this recent spree has frustrated the poo poo out of me. I'll try all three games sometime this weekend, and any that still bug I'm going to refund. Small-studio doesn't mean you get to ship with a ton of game-stopping bugs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kokoro Wish posted:

Updated all your drivers?

Yeah, I'm on the most recent Nvidia drivers.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I'm on the most recent Nvidia drivers.

No I mean ALL your drivers. You'll be surprised what can effect them. We had a guy once who's grapics issues were solved by updating his sound drivers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kokoro Wish posted:

No I mean ALL your drivers. You'll be surprised what can effect them. We had a guy once who's grapics issues were solved by updating his sound drivers.

According to Windows Update and Intel Driver Utility, yeah.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

s.i.r.e. posted:

According to Windows Update and Intel Driver Utility, yeah.

Check the manufacturer's websites for each part individually. Windows Update is frequently behind the most current drivers because their certification process takes a long time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

The first ObsCure was a legit good RE clone, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cis autodrag posted:

Check the manufacturer's websites for each part individually. Windows Update is frequently behind the most current drivers because their certification process takes a long time.

Well I have a Razer laptop with an Intel CPU/Wifi Card and Samsung SSD; Intel/Razer says everything is up to date and I'll check Samsung tomorrow but I'm sure it's not an issue with that. There's definitely something up with the game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm running into another bug in Conarium where I'm locked in a room and the thing that's supposed to let me progress just isn't working.

It's getting me really salty because it's the third horror game in two weeks that have stopped me from continuing due to bugs. I picked up Perception, bug. I picked up The Last Door to tide me over until they fixed the Perception bug, that bugged too. Now Conarium. I've had a few "indie" games that played smoothly, but this recent spree has frustrated the poo poo out of me. I'll try all three games sometime this weekend, and any that still bug I'm going to refund. Small-studio doesn't mean you get to ship with a ton of game-stopping bugs.

What bug did you encounter with The Last Door? I just played through all of it and I was lucky enough to not have issues, but it sounds like they made the engine in-house so it wouldn't amaze me if there were some weird edge case problems.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Night10194 posted:

The first ObsCure was a legit good RE clone, though.

Yeah, that's why I said its sequel was bad enough that it'd be better off just ignored with all the awful poo poo it did. IMO.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MockingQuantum posted:

What bug did you encounter with The Last Door? I just played through all of it and I was lucky enough to not have issues, but it sounds like they made the engine in-house so it wouldn't amaze me if there were some weird edge case problems.

In season 1, episode 1, the one with the dude and the rope, as soon as I hit the third text splash screen, the game just stopped cold, but not actually frozen. No cursor as on the first two splash screens, clicking didn't do anything to progress, but I could still exit to menu. When I tried to quit out of the game though, it actually froze and I had to kill the game process.

Tried a new game, tried reinstalling, nothing.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat Soma. It was really good and I'm not sure what to think about the ending.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some sort of strategy game inspired by The Thing, called "Distrust" on the horizon. Interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Evil Within 2, October 13. I haven't played the first one and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

Evil Within 2, October 13. I haven't played the first one and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this one.

Sounds about right.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They were using the machine on Ravio to power stuff and also the military, but they got trapped in the dream but he got out because...of his sister...and there's a man with a head that is not a human head. I think that's the jist of it. You're playing as Luis from Re4 but not as funny.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
TEW is the best thing that has come out of RE4 and the sequel sounds awesome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really wanna hope EW2 will be cool. There were parts I liked of 1 but it just fell apart so hard for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm continuing the D2 playthrough and while the LPer is informative and interesting to listen to the game has become a slog. The mindless ranting of the characters is few and far between and rather than being short and constantly off the wall like the first game, this one is a lot of really dull gameplay. Not saying that the first one wasn't filled with the same, but he beat it in a fraction of the time and the pacing of this game is rear end and he cut a lot of poo poo out. I'm not as mindfucked, but I hold out hope.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Stick with D2. Everything after the bomb on the snow mobile goes off(you'll know what I mean) is pretty completely insane

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I'm continuing the D2 playthrough and while the LPer is informative and interesting to listen to the game has become a slog. The mindless ranting of the characters is few and far between and rather than being short and constantly off the wall like the first game, this one is a lot of really dull gameplay. Not saying that the first one wasn't filled with the same, but he beat it in a fraction of the time and the pacing of this game is rear end and he cut a lot of poo poo out. I'm not as mindfucked, but I hold out hope.

which LPer did you go with?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

which LPer did you go with?

Supergreatfriend, it's both D and D2.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

s.i.r.e. posted:

Supergreatfriend, it's both D and D2.

Cool, thanks, he doesn't sound particularly obnoxious. I'll probably watch this just after I get through both Outlasts.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Sadly a good LP'er doesn't always make the game less boring to experience and it's hard to skip ahead in D2 without being a bit lost in the process. It's strange that such a bizarre game can also be so tremendously boring and tedious. I blame that mostly on Kenji Eno being a terrible game designer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I will be very miffed if The Evil Within 2 doesn't have two people on the cover to better convey the pun, The Evil Within These 2 right here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

Cool, thanks, he doesn't sound particularly obnoxious. I'll probably watch this just after I get through both Outlasts.

He's really chill and was Goon recommended to me, he seems to really enjoy the games but knows they're batshit but doesn't feel the need to stress that by screaming and playing a character. It's wonderful.

discworld is all I read posted:

Sadly a good LP'er doesn't always make the game less boring to experience and it's hard to skip ahead in D2 without being a bit lost in the process. It's strange that such a bizarre game can also be so tremendously boring and tedious. I blame that mostly on Kenji Eno being a terrible game designer.

I'll probably finish it up today, I have 10~ videos left so hopefully this starts hitting the fan soon enough to keep me interested.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would highly recommend anything done by supergreatfriend. he's a really relaxed guy and on some of his earlier lets plays he goes above and beyond in terms of editing and the like.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll probably finish it up today, I have 10~ videos left so hopefully this starts hitting the fan soon enough to keep me interested.
Yeah, I remember following the LP when it was first around and man....it was tough going through the first half of the LP cause it was 10 minute long cutscenes followed by wandering around in the snow and then shooting some rabbits then slowly poking around a mostly empty build while Laura blankly looked at poo poo. At least D and Enemy Zero were like 2-3 hours long, but D2 was this full 6 or 7 hours of the same stuff but with extra padding.

But either way, SGF is good stuff; like his 'Realms of the Haunting' LP was wonderful.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
SGF is a goon, too. :v: His Deadly Premonition LP is one of the greats, imo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jukebox Hero posted:

Stick with D2. Everything after the bomb on the snow mobile goes off(you'll know what I mean) is pretty completely insane

I just got to this and jesus the dialogue and terrible and this drama is as unbearable as it is confusing. God drat. It's a legit soap opera now.

edit: I just got to the Martha fight and :lol::lol::lol:

sigher fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 16, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Just wait until the death ray and the Melting Child

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bogart posted:

SGF is a goon, too. :v: His Deadly Premonition LP is one of the greats, imo.

And his Illbleed one. Man, that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Killerman...