Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

No kitties.

A good list. :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So I've put a little more thought into the Little Kid Abzan/Eldritch Evolution deck I posted about a week or two ago and it seems as though this is the core list-

4 Birds of Paradise
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Eternal Witness
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
2 Siege Rhino
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
4 Path to Exile
4 Eldritch Evolution
2 Lingering Souls
23 WGb lands

Which leaves 5 flex spots, six if you consider that I only have two Hierarchs right now. I'm trying to decide if I want more general utility creatures (ScOoze, Pridemage, Tireless Tracker, KTK Anafenza, more Rhinos?) or your staple BGx spells (Thoughtseize, Decay, Pulse, maybe a LotV) in those slots. I kinda want to run Renegade Rallier as well but it might be too cute. Any thoughts on which direction to go in?

FWIW the sideboard generally seems to be
2 Thoughtseize
2 Collective Brutality
1 Gaddock Teeg
3 Stony Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Reclamation Sage

Which also leaves 5 open spots, though I'm leaning towards utility creatures on that front (Eidolon of Rhetoric, Orzhov Pontiff) and I'm open to suggestions on good silver bullet creatures to include. But maybe this is where I put Decay and Pulse here.

Side note, at my last Modern FNM I overheard a couple players talking about how Collective Brutality wasn't well-positioned in the current meta. Is that just because it sucks against Death's Shadow, or is there more to that? I thought it was a house for a while.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Collective Brutality is good against the new Company iteration and of course Burn. Imo it's on the uptick as I see people playing more Burn because of the Death's Shadow surge and the Company deck is pretty popular

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
...yall gonna make me build an abzan modern deck...considering ive been hoarding those cards though i dont have the nobles theres still plenty of other peices i have

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

...yall gonna make me build an abzan modern deck...considering ive been hoarding those cards though i dont have the nobles theres still plenty of other peices i have

You can go with an older build that didn't run nobles and do just fine. I literally just picked them up last week for my abzan deck. Just remember that if you don't run them that you'll need 24 lands.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah part of my motivation for that list is that I've been slowly building "real" Abzan and have everything anyway outside of Goyf/Lili.

myDad posted:

Collective Brutality is good against the new Company iteration and of course Burn. Imo it's on the uptick as I see people playing more Burn because of the Death's Shadow surge and the Company deck is pretty popular

Good point, but I honestly haven't seen a ton of Company or Burn at my store but have played against DS decks the last two times I've been there. Sideboarding is hard!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 14, 2017

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Yeah part of my motivation for that list is that I've been slowly building "real" Abzan and have everything anyway.

Goyf and Lili are expensive and little kid abzan is good. I've actually considered switching a few times

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I also dont have goyf/lili but that gives me 8 slots of beatface. I'd need to get

more voices
siguarda
linvala
teeg
wilt

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

C-Euro posted:

So I've put a little more thought into the Little Kid Abzan/Eldritch Evolution deck I posted about a week or two ago and it seems as though this is the core list-

4 Birds of Paradise
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Eternal Witness
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
2 Siege Rhino
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
4 Path to Exile
4 Eldritch Evolution
2 Lingering Souls
23 WGb lands

Which leaves 5 flex spots, six if you consider that I only have two Hierarchs right now. I'm trying to decide if I want more general utility creatures (ScOoze, Pridemage, Tireless Tracker, KTK Anafenza, more Rhinos?) or your staple BGx spells (Thoughtseize, Decay, Pulse, maybe a LotV) in those slots. I kinda want to run Renegade Rallier as well but it might be too cute. Any thoughts on which direction to go in?

FWIW the sideboard generally seems to be
2 Thoughtseize
2 Collective Brutality
1 Gaddock Teeg
3 Stony Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Reclamation Sage

Which also leaves 5 open spots, though I'm leaning towards utility creatures on that front (Eidolon of Rhetoric, Orzhov Pontiff) and I'm open to suggestions on good silver bullet creatures to include. But maybe this is where I put Decay and Pulse here.

Side note, at my last Modern FNM I overheard a couple players talking about how Collective Brutality wasn't well-positioned in the current meta. Is that just because it sucks against Death's Shadow, or is there more to that? I thought it was a house for a while.

I like the idea of the new crucible man and a ghost quarter lock in this type of build.
I'm working on an Abzan control list in that vein.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like the idea of the new crucible man and a ghost quarter lock in this type of build.

Bant with Vizier & Glen Elendra :getin:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Errant Gin Monks posted:

In a GW Company shell, crucible man, renegade rallier, and Azusa - triple Ghost Quartering someone in a turn sounds delightful.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's really easy to throw one copy in knightfall, especially the newer lists with chord of calling. Even if you're not ghost quartering people out, guaranteeing double landfall for retreat to coralhelm with a fetch in your GY is pretty nice, not to mention how great horizon canopy is with the guy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Dehtraen posted:

In a GW Company shell, crucible man, renegade rallier, and Azusa - triple Ghost Quartering someone in a turn sounds delightful.

I wonder if a GW chord/evolution shell would work as well.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
So they're doing casual legacy at a nearby LGS proxies allowed, three quarters of the people are running full tournament legal decks. Right I'm pretty much set with fetches, just don't have duals / expensive reserved list cards. Haven't played any legacy outside of Merfolk and burn and I have no real desire to play either in legacy again. Meta looks like 3-4 people on Grixis delver, some number on the 4-color delver, some number playing the stone blade lists with four colors, 2 people on lands, 2 on burn, one guy playing all proxy UB reanimator. What should I proxy up, learn, and play?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

So they're doing casual legacy at a nearby LGS proxies allowed, three quarters of the people are running full tournament legal decks. Right I'm pretty much set with fetches, just don't have duals / expensive reserved list cards. Haven't played any legacy outside of Merfolk and burn and I have no real desire to play either in legacy again. Meta looks like 3-4 people on Grixis delver, some number on the 4-color delver, some number playing the stone blade lists with four colors, 2 people on lands, 2 on burn, one guy playing all proxy UB reanimator. What should I proxy up, learn, and play?

BUG Nic Fit

Is anyone in Vegas for the GP(s)? I'm down to clown, and if you are also down to clown shoot me a PM and we can figure something out

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Phyrexian librarian and I were planning on getting drinks after the inevitable day 1 legacy scrub out.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Heck yes I have returned from the wilderness, will PM you both

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I know it's a long way away but is anyone planning on going to Champs in Pittsburgh in October?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I know it's a long way away but is anyone planning on going to Champs in Pittsburgh in October?

yes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I wonder if a GW chord/evolution shell would work as well.

Part of what inspired me to look at lists with Evolution was playing against a guy running Evolution in Kiki-Chord deck. Though granted I was on Mill which eats combo alive so I don't know how effective Evolution was. He was running Revilark which seems like a nasty card to sac.

Post that Abzan control list when you get a chance, sounds neat.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 15, 2017

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

yes

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

C-Euro posted:

Part of what inspired me to look at lists with Evolution was playing against a guy running Evolution in Kiki-Chord deck. Though granted I was on Mill which eats combo alive so I don't know how effective Evolution was. He was running Revilark which seems like a nasty card to sac.

Post that Abzan control list when you get a chance, sounds neat.

I used it on my kiki build amd it was pretty good in spots. Being able to turn an extra work onto something useful was nice

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

New Unset this Christmas means new full art non-zendikar lands

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

New Unset this Christmas means new full art non-zendikar lands

Okay?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Updates from the floor: Cactrot and Johnny Five-Jaces are both 3-2, and I have unceremoniously scrubbed down to 1-4. Bad deck played on ugly guitar.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Johnny Five-Jaces are both 3-2

rip the 9/0, 6/0, 3/0 dream

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I dropped at 3-4, fun times but I feel like I need more practice. A lot of modern infect experience doesn't really transfer over :/

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

rip the 9/0, 6/0, 3/0 dream

IT STARTED OUT ON TRACK

currently 5-3 going into the last round. Apparently Wrapter is on Death's Shadoe too and is undefeated.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

IT STARTED OUT ON TRACK

currently 5-3 going into the last round. Apparently Wrapter is on Death's Shadoe too and is undefeated.

As long as you don't count the match he lost.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bah

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 16, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh he was 7-0 in round 8 as I was typing that so he must have lost

either that or my opponent lied to me

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

oh he was 7-0 in round 8 as I was typing that so he must have lost

either that or my opponent lied to me

Yeah he lost round 8.

Don't keep us in suspense, did you win your last round?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the world may never know

(no)

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Pictured: Not the greatest misdirection I've ever seen.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

RUG Delver is back, baby

e: get a load of this fuckin thing that took 16th place:

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Baleful Strix
4 Deathrite Shaman
1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Life from the Loam
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Ponder
1 Toxic Deluge
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Brainstorm
3 Crop Rotation
3 Force of Will
1 Intuition
3 Stifle
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Bayou
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Cabal Pit
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Dark Depths
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Karakas
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
1 Thespian's Stage
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
4 Wasteland

1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
1 Crop Rotation
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Collective Brutality
1 Flusterstorm
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Golgari Charm
1 Invasive Surgery
1 Pithing Needle
2 Surgical Extraction
3 Thoughtseize

there's just no god drat way that 3 FoW is correct

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 17, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

RUG Delver is back, baby

e: get a load of this fuckin thing that took 16th place:

there's just no god drat way that 3 FoW is correct

Three mainboard is an understandable meta choice but not having four in your 75 does indeed seem quite suspect.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

probably didn't have a fourth FoW in his binder

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ANRLizzy/status/876104853625356288

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011